1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham vs. 1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier SIDE BY SIDE Comparison luxury

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You guys know I like big cars but this is pretty much a 'useless' decade for me. Pass on both.

I give ya a 1960's Cadillac Fleetwood for ya! :D 

image.png

• Upvote 1

I like both.  Pretty familiar w/ the Lincoln of that era, though I’d take either.   Though my favorite older Cadillac would be a late 80s Fleetwood Brougham d’ Elegance.   I like the boxy ones. 

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I like both.  Pretty familiar w/ the Lincoln of that era, though I’d take either.   Though my favorite older Cadillac would be a late 80s Fleetwood Brougham d’ Elegance.   I like the boxy ones. 

My Grandfather had one of these, sexy luxury cars for the time.

image.png

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, David said:

My Grandfather had one of these, sexy luxury cars for the time.

image.png

I remember as a teenager liking the styling of those more than my Dad’s Town Cars. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

You guys know I like big cars but this is pretty much a 'useless' decade for me. Pass on both.

I wanna know the reason why you'de pass on both?

With the Cadillac, is it because it has a GM/Chevrolet corporate engine powering it? 

The design is too jellybean, right?

The Lincoln. Well, I wouldnt know where to start in trying to figure out why you wouldnt like it.  Mediocre power, maybe?  

Im just trying to see if I know ya well enough after all these years we speak to each other.

Just to give my opinion on both. I like both equally, but not my favorite styles in their respective histories. I much much prefer both of their predecessors of the 1980s.   

And about the engine choices, I actually loved the fact that the Caddy had a Corvette engine powering it.  

I do wish the Lincoln had the Mustang's power outputs and when the Mustang went 5.0, I was disappoint that the Towncar didnt get the 5.0 too.  

Edited by oldshurst442

I driveway-drove a Brougham years ago, it was less than 10 yrs old. I just didn't like it. Bloated, way overstuffed inside; couldn't move on the seats. Town Cars do nothing for me on any level, besides being livery fodder. 
The '80s Fleetwoods I agree had much sharper, very nice styling, and I liked the interiors on those. Or a circa 2000 DTS.

Bet both these 2 make good derby cars, tho! :P

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I do wish the Lincoln had the Mustang's power outputs and when the Mustang went 5.0, I was disappoint that the Towncar didnt get the 5.0 too.  

The Town Car did have the 5.0 (from '81 through '90), but at a lower power spec than the Mustang. 

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I wanna know the reason why you'de pass on both?

Remember, '80s-90s are too new for Balthy, he only likes cars from the 60s and older. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Remember, '80s-90s are too new for Balthy, he only likes cars from the ancient B&W TV era.

ALL the vehicles I like were available in colors. :P

And: 

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

The '80s Fleetwoods I agree had much sharper, very nice styling, and I liked the interiors on those. Or a circa 2000 DTS.

It's not necessarily the numerical age (plenty of stuff I don't like in that era), it's about the quality of design/detail; I can't help it the industry peaked then!

The plastic, anemic, malaise of the '80s-90s isn't very appealing, and I can't help that, either. ;)

Buick Grand National; I think the exterior is awesome, nothing jumps out at me that needs changing. Powertrain is excellent (ESP in GNX tune)... but I cannot get past the interiors. Buick 3.8T is super easy to upgrade reliably to be quicker than most performance cars built today... but I'd have to pass on one because the insides repulse me. But it's still very cool.