Vaccine discussion

I do need to get my 2nd Pfizer booster... a couple weeks ago I was sick and wondered if it might have been the COVID.  Had a sore throat, cough, fever, felt really run down for 2-3 days...or just a sinus infection.  It came at the end of my week off.    I had been to a couple of concerts the previous weekend (mostly masked) and working in the filth and muck of the mud farm, and driving a lot and not getting enough sleep.   Two more weeks to go and the horror of mud farming should be over. 

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I do need to get my 2nd Pfizer booster... a couple weeks ago I was sick and wondered if it might have been the COVID.  Had a sore throat, cough, fever, felt really run down for 2-3 days...or just a sinus infection.  It came at the end of my week off.    I had been to a couple of concerts the previous weekend (mostly masked) and working in the filth and muck of the mud farm, and driving a lot and not getting enough sleep.   Two more weeks to go and the horror of mud farming should be over. 

Sometimes we get run down from running ourselves down.  I remember that, somehow, I got through finals and tying up loose ends during all my semesters while in grad school, where it was harder than undergrad and I was more committed, got on the plane to fly home, and was sick for about 3 to 4 days with aches, no energy, and a slight temperature.  It happened every time.  And then it cleared up every time.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Sometimes we get run down from running ourselves down.  I remember that, somehow, I got through finals and tying up loose ends during all my semesters while in grad school, where it was harder than undergrad and I was more committed, got on the plane to fly home, and was sick for about 3 to 4 days with aches, no energy, and a slight temperature.  It happened every time.  And then it cleared up every time.  

Being up 24 hrs + one day didn't help... just completely wore myself out on PTO.  

I did relax and spend a few hours on one of my favorite beaches Saturday,, though.  

IMG-7349.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Being up 24 hrs + one day didn't help... just completely wore myself out on PTO.  

I did relax and spend a few hours on one of my favorite beaches Saturday,, though.  

IMG-7349.jpg

Take care Robert, life is all about Balance. Look forward to hearing about the final stuff at the farm. Selling it?

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, David said:

Take care Robert, life is all about Balance. Look forward to hearing about the final stuff at the farm. Selling it?

Auction on July 9th.  The property, my brother's cars, motorcycles, ATVs, tractor, furniture, tools, etc.    Everything goes... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I got mine a bit over 2 weeks ago.  Only very mild side effects, but it was Pfizer instead of my previous 3 being Moderna.  There will be a new Moderna Omicron version out in the fall right in time for my next booster.  From the data they submitted to the FDA, not only does this new version provide better protection against Omicron, it got updates for Alpha and Delta versions as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Auction on July 9th.  The property, my brother's cars, motorcycles, ATVs, tractor, furniture, tools, etc.    Everything goes... 

Cool, Wishing you all the best Robert for your sister and you having a good return on the auction.

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I got mine a bit over 2 weeks ago.  Only very mild side effects, but it was Pfizer instead of my previous 3 being Moderna.  There will be a new Moderna Omicron version out in the fall right in time for my next booster.  From the data they submitted to the FDA, not only does this new version provide better protection against Omicron, it got updates for Alpha and Delta versions as well.

Agree, the best part is that like you I also will be up for my next booster and both Pfizer and Moderna are saying they will have taken into account the B4 and B5 to help keep us resilient to the newest strains.

I just hope that by 2025 this virus burns itself out for the most part like the flu did.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, please be careful and take precautions. BA.5 is the dominate strain in the U.S. now and vaccination does NOT protect against it. Moderna and Pfizer are working to have an updated booster shot by end of September.

Why is BA.5 such a bad variation of Covid-19?

BA.5 mutation has taken a much more aggressive attack on the Lungs Alveoli sacks. This is where carbon dioxide and oxygen get exchanged allowing you to breath.

BA.5 attacks and paralysis these sacks stopping you from breathing.

Plenty of news stories on this, mask up, stay safe, wash hands, avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth. Please stay safe to help ease the continued stress on our health care workers.

‘Headed in a bad direction’: Omicron variant may bring second-largest US Covid wave (msn.com)

Is Omicron BA.5 ‘Worst Version’ Of Covid-19 Coronavirus Seen? (forbes.com)

.New omicron subvariant BA.5 now a majority of US COVID-19 cases | The Hill

Omicron BA.5: No one is fully protected | Science | In-depth reporting on science and technology | DW | 13.06.2022

• Educational 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

"Don't go anywhere." 

Go any place you want, just use common sense and protection. 

AKA - Mask, Hand sanitizer, do not touch eyes, nose or mouth. 

Just use some common sense on being clean in regard to your personal hygiene. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, David said:

Go any place you want, just use common sense and protection. 

AKA - Mask, Hand sanitizer, do not touch eyes, nose or mouth. 

Just use some common sense on being clean in regard to your personal hygiene. 

Well yeah, I was just commenting on the article's list. 

The first two things on the list (numbers 34 & 35) are "taking a walk" and "hiking". GTFO of here with those two. If anything, people NEED to get out more and have active/healthy bodies. 

That list basically says not to leave home. 

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well yeah, I was just commenting on the article's list. 

The first two things on the list (numbers 34 & 35) are "taking a walk" and "hiking". GTFO of here with those two. If anything, people NEED to get out more and have active/healthy bodies. 

That list basically says not to leave home. 

Context--keep in mind when that article was written...in Dec 2020 vaccines weren't readily available. 

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Context--keep in mind when that article was written...in Dec 2020 vaccines weren't readily available. 

Good eye on when it was written.

It's basically irrelevant at this point. I'm honestly not exactly sure why it was shared. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Good eye on when it was written.

It's basically irrelevant at this point. I'm honestly not exactly sure why it was shared. 

Because I missed the date too, washing sharing it to remind people that infections are happening and with the souther states have thousands of new infections and re-infections a day, Be careful.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's still going on and on...forever COVID, it seems...booster shots will be an annual thing like flu shots probably.    I'm still cautious around crowds and indoor events.. life goes on... I still do a lot of take out/delivery of food, but occasionally go to a restaurant, esp. if they have outdoor seating...and have been to 1/2 dozen concerts so far this summer..trying to have some normalcy, cautiously. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The new Moderna booster with broader coverage has been approved by the UK and is supposed to be available in the U.S., possibly by the end of September.  Just like Costco not telling you when Michelins go on sale next,* pharmacists won't tell you when this new booster becomes available.

I am planning some travel during the Thanksgiving holiday and into early December, so I am hoping the updated Moderna will be available by then.  I have gotten Pfizer (1) - Pfizer (2) - Moderna (booster 1) and had a headache each time, for about a day.  I'm fine with that.  I get the same reaction when I get my flu shot, which I get on Labor Day weekend each year.  I think I will wait for the enhanced Moderna product.

As for the new Moderna booster, I will travel to a hick town to get it.  That's what I had to do with the first three shots and I'm fine with that.  Some hick towns have filling grubby diner food at cheap prices - good for your wallet, but bad for your cholesterol.

* Michelins ought to come back on a Costco sales cycle on Monday, August 29, since they have now run Bridgestones on promotion for 2 months.

I plan on doing the polio booster too since I have travel planned to NYC.

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Just like Costco not telling you when Michelins go on sale next,*

Did I post something about that? Lol ! I’ve been waiting for the next Costco Michelin sale for a while now. Both the 300 and Avalanche are in dire need of tires.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Did I post something about that? Lol ! I’ve been waiting for the next Costco Michelin sale for a while now. Both the 300 and Avalanche are in dire need of tires.

Here in the Seattle area, Discount Tire is selling the Michelin line far below Costco and with the same benefits as Costco. Hope they have deals for you as the wait at Costco has been crazy to get stuff in the Tire/Battery/Auto department.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I didn't know of a polio booster but the CDC site says there is such a thing, though it doesn't surprise me ... even for adults who have been vaccinated.  It is addressed by the very last sentence under "Adults."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/public/index.html

It seems I have read about an uptick in polio and tuberculosis in the greater NYC area.

- - - - -

My car also needs tires and my Michelins have lasted an incredibly long time.  I'm waiting because I want another set of Michelin Defenders.  I'm hoping this will be the last set of tires I will be buying for this car.

28 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I didn't know of a polio booster but the CDC site says there is such a thing, though it doesn't surprise me ... even for adults who have been vaccinated.  It is addressed by the very last sentence under "Adults."

It seems I have read about an uptick in polio and tuberculosis in the greater NYC area.

- - - - -

My car also needs tires and my Michelins have lasted an incredibly long time.  I'm waiting because I want another set of Michelin Defenders.  I'm hoping this will be the last set of tires I will be buying for this car.

Thank you for sharing the link on the Polio booster, very interesting as I also have read of a global uptick in Polio and Tuberculosis.

I am hoping the Michelin Defenders I have on both my Escalade and SS Trailblazer will be the last set for those auto's before I move to EVs. So far in AWD on both, the tires are wearing very well and even. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, David said:

Here in the Seattle area, Discount Tire is selling the Michelin line far below Costco and with the same benefits as Costco. Hope they have deals for you as the wait at Costco has been crazy to get stuff in the Tire/Battery/Auto department.

We don’t have Discount Tire near me. I just buy through Costco because they don’t mess around with warranty, plus I get 5% cash back via their credit card and executive membership.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

didn't know of a polio booster but the CDC site says there is such a thing, though it doesn't surprise me ... even for adults who have been vaccinated.  It is addressed by the very last sentence under "Adults."

It seems I have read about an uptick in polio and tuberculosis in the greater NYC area

There is community spread of polio in NYC and some of the rural counties nearby. There is a large religious community  in the rural counties that is anti-vax and that is compounding the situation.

Most polio cases are asymptomatic, but there are a slim number of paralytic cases. One man in NY is already paralyzed from it.  It is now detectable in the sewer water, which is how they know it is spreading.

I have several NY trips coming up both into the city and to the county where it was first detected. Plus a have friends from NYC who visit regularly.

it’s time for me to get that booster too.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, David said:

Thank you for sharing the link on the Polio booster, very interesting as I also have read of a global uptick in Polio and Tuberculosis.

I am hoping the Michelin Defenders I have on both my Escalade and SS Trailblazer will be the last set for those auto's before I move to EVs. So far in AWD on both, the tires are wearing very well and even. 

I’ve been happy with the Michelin Defenders on my JGC.  Almost 5 years and 35k on them. 

I wasn’t aware of a polio booster, will have to look into that.  My childhood vaccinations were probably 50 years ago or more. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I’ve been happy with the Michelin Defenders on my JGC.  Almost 5 years and 35k on them. 

I wasn’t aware of a polio booster, will have to look into that.  My childhood vaccinations were probably 50 years ago or more. 

Unless you travel to or interact closely with people from NYC, at this time you don’t need to do anything. But just be aware of it in case it starts spreading nationally.  The only reason I’m doing it is because of my NYC interactions.

Defenders are my default purchase for any vehicle. The best 3-season tire out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I'm at over 70,000 miles on my Michelin Defenders. ... rotated every 5,000 to 6,000 miles, and just front to back.  I'd say 85% of those miles were on interstates, and all of it was conservative driving. They are 80,000 mile tires, but the tread life warranty ends at 5 years.  I'm not complaining.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The FDA has approved the enhanced Moderna booster.  Retail pharmacies are expecting to see it come in.

I routinely get my flu shot Labor Day weekend and plan to get this Moderna booster at the end of the month, even if I need to travel to a hick town and then eat in some off the beaten path gem that would make it onto 'Diners and Dives,' or whatever that series is called.

Also, since I plan to be in the NYC area in the near future, I may go ahead and get that once only adult polio booster mid-month, especially if it's covered and/or not too expensive.

• Agree 3

Yes both Moderna and Pfizer have updated booster shots that should be out and available after Labor Day.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech Bivalent COVID-19 Vaccines for Use as a Booster Dose | FDA

Wife and I also got an update on our Shingles, Pneumonia and flu shot with our yearly physical. 

I have to travel at the end of the month, so looking forward to getting our booster shot next week. 

All Teens and adults are approved for it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, David said:

Yes both Moderna and Pfizer have updated booster shots that should be out and available after Labor Day.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech Bivalent COVID-19 Vaccines for Use as a Booster Dose | FDA

Wife and I also got an update on our Shingles, Pneumonia and flu shot with our yearly physical. 

I have to travel at the end of the month, so looking forward to getting our booster shot next week. 

All Teens and adults are approved for it.

Shingles is the one thing I don't have to worry about. Never had Chickenpox lol. Will be going for the latest booster here in the next month though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ive had chickenpox.  My wife too.  I dont think about shingles all that much.  My wife, however, has it on her mind to inform our family doctor about shingles and a shingles vaccine.  

All the family has had 3 shots of the Covid vaccine.  The wife and kids all have Pfizer but I have the 1st two as Pfizer and the 3rd Moderna.  We are waiting for the updated booster to be available. As soon as its available, we all get to be jabbed.  

We dont do flu shots.  None of us get sick during flu season. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Shingles is the one thing I don't have to worry about. Never had Chickenpox lol. Will be going for the latest booster here in the next month though.

While I never had chicken pox, Shingles is something that I also never had till I worked for a bitch of a manager who I even told on my exit interview that she was the worst manager I ever had in my whole life. The Stress of her two-person personality management style had me break out and the doctor said that anyone can get shingles if they are exposed to others that could have it or had chicken pox. It was not a bad experience dealing with shingles, but I got the vaccine afterwards and was happy to have never had it since. 

One can never know how a job or stress in their life can cause things like this. I have since found out that my mom had shingles when she was pregnant with me and upon asking my doctor, he said that it would be normal to pass onto a child the markers and as such during extreme stress, it could be brought on.

The HR rep had the shocked look on her face and then ended up having to deal with an even bigger mess as the manager reached across the table and slapped me on the face. I laughed as I said I guess I could file assualt charges against her. The HR rep pushed her out of the room and the next thing I know is a VP of HR was in the room and made me an offer I could not refuse. A pay increase bigger than where I was planning to go along with a job reporting to an old boss I really liked in another department and a promise that I would never have to see the bitch again if I would not involve the police or legal. 

She was fired for assaulting an employee, me and until the startup was purchased by Brocade, I was very happy. I will say that the old department where multiple reports had been filed with HR against the woman and yet they never fired her until my situation told me how happy they were that she was gone.

I can respect you for not wanting to get a vaccine, if one travels allot as I have done with my job around the world, vaccines are extremely important to protect oneself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For everyone mentioning shingles, the reason some might have gone for an update is because, in the last 5 or so years, they went from the one injection regimen to Shingrix, a two injection regimen.   I got the Shingrix series a few years ago ... one less thing to worry about, I hope.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Got my flu shot and the upgraded Pfizer Covid booster today…still planning to wear a mask when I fly next week…first flights since Jan ‘20, going to my company HQ in Plano, Tx for engineering team meetings.   

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Got my flu shot and the upgraded Pfizer Covid booster today…still planning to wear a mask when I fly next week…first flights since Jan ‘20, going to my company HQ in Plano, Tx for engineering team meetings.   

Awesome, I am very happy with having the latest booster and flu shot too. Flew to Texas last week for meeting, wore mask. About half the plane did, half did not, was surprised much higher rate of people wearing masks at the airport in Texas than I expected. But then it is all about personal comfort and safety. 

Mayo has a nice easy to use map based on CDC data.

U.S. COVID-19 Map: Tracking the Trends (mayoclinic.org)

CDC is by county in each state.

CDC COVID Data Tracker: County View

Safe travel Robert, stay healthy.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Feeling seriously icky today…chills, aches and pains, really tired and washed out feeling the day after 2 vaccinations.  Heard this is pretty common. 

Yes, this is a common side affect with the booster and flu this year. Moderna seems to be worse than Pfizer, not sure why when they are both using the same MNRA vaccine technology, but it is. Strange that you are getting it from the Pfizer side, but not uncommon for some.

Rest and sleep, it will pass fast.

• Agree 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:53 AM, surreal1272 said:

Have you gotten the Chicken Pox vaccine?

I'm probably going to get my Flu and updated Covid Booster on Tuesday.  I have to time it around expecting to be sick the next day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Have you gotten the Chicken Pox vaccine?

I'm probably going to get my Flu and updated Covid Booster on Tuesday.  I have to time it around expecting to be sick the next day.

Good Luck Drew, I hope you have minimal side effects. Most are not having any issues with the Flu Vaccine and Latest Booster this time around.

I got injection #4 Tuesday.  I got the upgraded Moderna with the omicron component.  I went two Pfizers and two Modernas.  Of all the shots, this one had the least negative impact - no usual headache I get after any type of vaccination, but some soreness at the site of the injection.

I'm wondering if I had a mild bout with omicron at some point that came and went.  However, with all the free test kits now laying around, I made sure I was in good shape (negative) and with a good temp (high 97s) for a good while prior to getting this last jab.

I, too, plan to mask up during any air travel.  Instead of using N95 grade masks, I may opt for the regular cheap ones.  (The newer the aircraft, the better the ACHs in the ventilation system should be.)

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, David said:

Good Luck Drew, I hope you have minimal side effects. Most are not having any issues with the Flu Vaccine and Latest Booster this time around.

I've had symptoms after all except the first C19 shot.  I always get flu-like symptoms from the flu shot. So if I can get it both over with at the same time I'd prefer that.

• Agree 2

I felt less crappy yesterday and felt fine today.  Weather has been nice the last couple of days, been enjoying walking the dogs.  Clambake season, going to try and go to one this weekend, lots of restaurants doing them.  

So, I got the Moderna enhanced Covid booster on Tuesday.

This morning, I got the adult IPV - the PV part means polio vaccine (booster).  I couldn't find in the family paperwork when I had it, and if I had it as a kid in Europe or the states.  The lady said it's fine for adults who don't react to vaccinations - and she read the list of potential allergens - to get this one-time adult booster.

I expect to be in the NYC area in about a month or so.  I asked her if there has been an uptick in requests for IPV.  She said she has only given it one other time in the recent past - to a customer who was also concerned because they had to travel to the NYC area.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I was away from here for a short while...

Covid finally breached my defenses.

My son caught it from school from his friend. He woke up with his throat scratchy 2 Saturdays ago, and we ignored it. He got a call from his friend that night that he tested positive.  Sunday morning, his scratchy throat was still present so we did the Covid test thing. Positive.  The whole family tested. All negative.   He stayed home from school on Monday. 

My throat was scratch on Tuesday. I tested. Was positive.  Stayed home for the next 5 days.  My manager, God bless her, she took over the restaurant.  Did a great job!!!   I  slept in the basement so I dont infect my daughter and wife.       

My daughter tested positive though, on Wednesday.  Missed school for three days.  My wife, nada.  The only one to escape the cliutches of Covid.

The worst my son had was a scratchy throat for 3 or 4 days. 

My daughter only for a day and a half with a scratchy throat.

I, didnt have it that bad.  I was just coughing for 4 full days. Hard dry coughing.  THAT was rough. Not the coughing part, but because I was coughing for 4 days straight.   And I had lost my taste for 14 or 15 days.  I  tasted sweet, salty and sour, no flavour. So it wasnt that bad. Eating was not bland because I did have  some sort of sensory pleasure. 

Shot #4 awaits. It is avalaible.  The new variant ones.   My wife took her jab.   The rest of us have to wait(?) or will wait because we do have the Covid anti-bodies still in our systems because...we caught it. So near XMAS time or shortly thereafter is when Im figuring we will get #4.  

• Sad 1

According to the CDC infections have broken down as follows here in the U.S. based on type of blood. 

• Type A - 41.8% of the overall infected had this blood type.
  • Type B - 29.93% of the overall infected had this blood type.
  • Type AB - 21.19% of the overall infected had this blood type.
  • Type O - 7.08% of the overall infected had this blood type.

Clearly Type O is the most resilient to being infected. AB is second and Type A is the most common that gets infected.

@oldshurst442 Do you know what type your Wife, Kids and you are? Maybe your wife is type O so she is very resistant to it naturally.

I am glad to hear you and your family are mending.

• Thanks 1