Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I would like to add that since I have the ability to work from home, I am not rushing to get the vaccine but not because of the vaccine itself. My girlfriend has an auto-immune issue and while she gets to work from home as well, me bringing in even a weakened strain of anything is a roll of the dice. The one and ONLY time I got a flu shot, I ended up as sick as I have every been, so I have to consider that as well. I am planning on waiting until we hit the 80% vaccinated number before I go. I also have a very strong immune system so I prefer to wait while the folks that really need it, get theirs first.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@USA-1 your strong immune system could very well be your undoing if you were to catch Covid. Many of the young healthy people who died did so because their immune system over reacted and flooded their

I’m just going to say this. Those who think that because some folks died from the shot, it is somehow comparable to folks who have actually died from COVID-19 itself and thus not worth getting, truly

We are apparently giving the J and J vaccine to students here on Campus....

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I would like to add that since I have the ability to work from home, I am not rushing to get the vaccine but not because of the vaccine itself. My girlfriend has an auto-immune issue and while she gets to work from home as well, me bringing in even a weakened strain of anything is a roll of the dice. The one and ONLY time I got a flu shot, I ended up as sick as I have every been, so I have to consider that as well. I am planning on waiting until we hit the 80% vaccinated number before I go. I also have a very strong immune system so I prefer to wait while the folks that really need it, get theirs first.  

It sucks for people who will struggle to handle the vaccine. My 80 year old mother is one of them...

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It sucks for people who will struggle to handle the vaccine. My 80 year old mother is one of them...

I don’t know that I would struggle with it, per say, but with my girlfriend being the way she is (medically speaking), I’m not rolling the dice. Now, if I was actually having to travel out for work, it might be a different story but for now, I have the luxury of waiting it out for just a bit longer. During H1N1, I was working at a residential behavioral health treatment facility with over 100 “patients”. 90% of the entire facility (students and staff) came down with H1N1 and they were offering shots then. I did not do it because by then, the entire event had pretty much run its course and I had nothing (again, lucky with the strong immune system) and never got it. Looking back though, it may have foolish on my part because even though my immune system is pretty robust, I am a prime candidate for being an asymptomatic carrier so thats what makes this situation a little different.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to summarize points I wanted to make.  Correct me if anything I say is wrong:

1.  mRNA based vaccines were never used on a wide scale before.  Yes, there was a long research before but until now it didn't achieve any commercially available vaccines and medications.

2. FDA gave Pfizer, Moderna and J&J vaccines Emergency TEMPORARY approval (EUA) because of the pandemic in order to bypass regular medication certification process. That process is not just bureaucracy, but was written with human lives when there were failures or misdirections from pharmaceutical companies. 

3.  Pfizer and other companies will have to submit for a permanent FDA Biological License Approval when they have enough data to get fully certified that vaccines are safe short and long term.  It might take few months, it might take few years.  They still collect data.  Basically the whole world is one big experiment at the moment.

4. At the moment all the vaccines are very effective with very small percentage of people having severe reactions to the vaccine.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered.  So I perfectly understand some people who are cautious at the moment.

Personally, to me the question is a consideration between getting sick and possible long term affects of the vaccine.  I choose vaccine because like many others I want to continue my life.  However, if I have a choice, I prefer J&J vaccine. 

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ykX said:

All these renderings were taken from reliable publications, like CDC and WHO and medical magazines, not Wikipedia

However, here if you like quotes from wikipedia:

The rhinovirus (from the Greek ῥίς rhis "nose", gen ῥινός rhinos "of the nose", and the Latin vīrus) is the most common viral infectious agent in humans and is the predominant cause of the common cold.

There are no vaccines against these viruses as there is little-to-no cross-protection between serotypes. At least 99 serotypes of human rhinoviruses affecting humans have been sequenced.[23][8] 

Nowhere it says that common cold is in the coronavirus family.

Coronaviruses are a group of related RNA viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans and birds, they cause respiratory tract infections that can range from mild to lethal. Mild illnesses in humans include some cases of the common cold (which is also caused by other viruses, predominantly rhinoviruses),

 

Coronavirus - Wikipedia

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ykX said:

Proper testing and certification is in place to avoid things like that:

Official: EU agency to confirm AstraZeneca blood clot link (apnews.com)

A top official at the European Medicines Agency says there is a causal link between AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine and rare blood clots

Yeah, that seems to be the one company with issues. They also have issues in Europe as well.  My wife got her J&J today, and is resting comfortably at the moment. Just a bit tired....and it was nice that the school district she works for gave her two days off.....

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy that 44%of the new infections are from 5 states right now.

QUOTE: New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey together reported 44% of the nation’s new COVID-19 infections, or nearly 197,500 new cases, in the latest available seven-day period, according to state health agency data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Total U.S. infections during the same week numbered more than 452,000.

Nearly half of new US virus infections are in just 5 states (apnews.com)

Glad to see Michigan and my state Washington is adjusting to help reduce the flow of Covid-19.

Michigan, Washington state impose severe COVID-19 restrictions as U.S. infections soar | Reuters

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, David said:

Crazy that 44%of the new infections are from 5 states right now.

QUOTE: New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey together reported 44% of the nation’s new COVID-19 infections, or nearly 197,500 new cases, in the latest available seven-day period, according to state health agency data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Total U.S. infections during the same week numbered more than 452,000.

Nearly half of new US virus infections are in just 5 states (apnews.com)

Glad to see Michigan and my state Washington is adjusting to help reduce the flow of Covid-19.

Michigan, Washington state impose severe COVID-19 restrictions as U.S. infections soar | Reuters

Scary....

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The first studies are coming in from analyzing the data and it seems those that get Covid-19, 1/3rd of them have what they are calling brain disease. Neurological-psychological damage, very scary for the world and the long term affects on people.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/06/health/covid-neurological-psychological-lancet-wellness/index.html

Very happy that the same data is showing long term protection by those that get vaccinated and Pfizer is working on a booster shot.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-04-01/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-protection-lasts-at-least-six-months

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, ykX said:

Proper testing and certification is in place to avoid things like that:

Official: EU agency to confirm AstraZeneca blood clot link (apnews.com)

A top official at the European Medicines Agency says there is a causal link between AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine and rare blood clots

The AZ vaccine doesn't use raw mRNA like Pfizer and Moderna. 

The AZ vaccine (And J&J) use an actual virus (adenovirus) to deliver DNA instead of RNA.

That DNA is then used to make the mRNA

The AZ vaccine hasn't been approved for use in the US because..... it never passed the Phase 3 clinical trials.

Whether or not it will in the future, we don't know... but pointing at the AZ vaccine and saying "This isn't safe, the system is broken" when the system prevented it from being released to the public in the first place seems a bit.... off?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The AZ vaccine doesn't use raw mRNA like Pfizer and Moderna. 

The AZ vaccine (And J&J) use an actual virus (adenovirus) to deliver DNA instead of RNA.

That DNA is then used to make the mRNA

The AZ vaccine hasn't been approved for use in the US because..... it never passed the Phase 3 clinical trials.

Whether or not it will in the future, we don't know... but pointing at the AZ vaccine and saying "This isn't safe, the system is broken" when the system prevented it from being released to the public in the first place seems a bit.... off?

I know that AZ vaccine is using completely different technology than Pfizer and  Moderna and I wasn't implying that system is broken.  Not sure where you got it from my post.  Please show were exactly I wrote anything even close to that.

It was released in Europe and it was in the process of certification here in US.  I am just saying that FDA certification process is not a bunch of bureaucratic red tape like some people implied here.

Edited by ykX
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ykX said:

I know that AZ vaccine is using completely different technology than Pfizer and  Moderna and I wasn't implying that system is broken.  Not sure where you got it from my post.  Please show were exactly I wrote anything even close to that.

It was released in Europe and it was in the process of certification here in US.  I am just saying that FDA certification process is not a bunch of bureaucratic red tape like some people implied here.

Yeah, that last bit is true. Part of the reason drug trials take so long is that it is hard to find people willing to try a new drug. Researchers have to beg and bribe people to do it. With the Covid-19 vaccine they had 100s of thousands of volunteers. Additionally, the FDA cleared everyone’s Outlook calendar and made these drugs top priority for review, so that greatly accelerated the process. Normally it’s difficult to get approvals done because it’s hard to get everyone in a room together.

 

Covid gave everyone substantial motivation to get this done.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of my kids got their first shot over the weekend of Moderna. Family should be 100% vaccinated in 4 weeks.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife & I got our first Moderna shot today. Rode an hour 1-way to get it.
My one son who works in a NY hospital got both his shots maybe 2 months ago.
Other son doesn't have an app't yet, his GF got the J&J shot Monday.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Wife & I got our first Moderna shot today. Rode an hour 1-way to get it.
My one son who works in a NY hospital got both his shots maybe 2 months ago.
Other son doesn't have an app't yet, his GF got the J&J shot Monday.

 

Bill And Ted 80S GIF by IFC - Find & Share on GIPHY

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My sister and I got our 2nd shots of Pfizer on Monday, quick and easy.  I really haven't had any side effects, a bit of fatigue but that is probably due to being awoken at 4:30-5 am 3 days in a row by the dogs.   She had some all-over-soreness and out-of-it feeling, but slept it off. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

In my area at least, they now have more doses than they have willing recipients.  If you've been waiting for your shot, look around to see if there are some new appointments available. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

In my area at least, they now have more doses than they have willing recipients.  If you've been waiting for your shot, look around to see if there are some new appointments available. 

Same here, plenty of Pfizer and Moderna Vaccines. Both my kids are either on shot one or had both. Very happy that everyone who wants to get vaccinated is able too. The variations are scary and I look forward to the Booster shots from Pfizer and Moderna to address those other versions.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 174 Guests (See full list)

  • Latest News (See all news)

    By David, in Mercedes Benz,

    Giving families the ultimate premium luxury small van for fans of recreational activities is what Mercedes-Benz presented with the introduction of the Concept EQT Mini-Van. To quote the press release: Concept EQT shows: We are consistently implementing our claim to leadership in electromobility and will also be offering a fully electric model in this segment in the future," says Marcus Breitschwerdt, Head of Mercedes-Benz Vans. 

    By David, in Ford,

    Ford has announced this week that on May 19th 2021 they will livestream the F-150 Lightning EV pickup truck at Ford HQ. Could this be Ford's Halo pickup truck for the full EV Truck lineup?

    By David, in Subaru,

    Tuesday May 12th 2021 SUBARU announced their first all-electric SUV for the brand aimed at coexisting with nature. SOLTERRA is scheduled to go on sale in 2022.

    By David, in Ford,

    Ford had promised more rugged off road SUVs challenging Jeep's dominance in the off road market and the over all market image with the introduction of the Ford Explorer Timberline edition. This Timberline series gives Ford's customers a more capable off-road feature packed SUV for memorable weekend adventures with family and friends. 

    By David, in Ford,

    Ford is proud to open registration for the new E-Transit Vans supported by 645 Commercial Vehicle Center Dealers across the U.S. E-Transit joins America's best-selling commercial van, the Ford Transit family.

    By David, in Automotive Industry,

    May 2, 2018 in Chicopee, Massachusetts, Electrify America opened their first Ultra-Fast Charging Station. Less than three years later they have 600 Ultra-Fast Charging Stations with 2,600 fast charger connections.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...