Hyundai News:2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Is A Step Smaller Than A Midsize Truck

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Back when I was into bicycling, I used a hitch mount bike rack on my WJ GC.  Worked great.   

I have a hitch bike rack as well.  But I don't leave them on the car all the time because they are cumbersome, in a way and car don't fit in the garage with it.  When you come from work in the evening and want to go for a quick ride, it is way easier to just to drop the bike in a bed than to put bike rack on and than take it off.

• Agree 1

On 4/18/2021 at 12:07 AM, smk4565 said:

Camping, tailgating, over landing, and all the other “active lifestyle” stuff is what the appeal is with the Santa Cruz.  

No one is going overlanding in a Santa Cruz, the hardware under there is still car based. This is for people who walk paved Rails-to-Trails paths at Ohiopyle and call it hiking.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No one is going overlanding in a Santa Cruz, the hardware under there is still car based. This is for people who walk paved Rails-to-Trails paths at Ohiopyle and call it hiking.

Sounds like I'm the target customer...I like the Rails-to-Trails paths here in Cuyahoga Valley National Park and other parks around the metro area.  And off roading for me is pulling my Jeep into gravel parking lots near some of these trails...heh heh...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Sounds like I'm the target customer...I like the Rails-to-Trails paths here in Cuyahoga Valley National Park and other parks around the metro area.  And off roading for me is pulling my Jeep into gravel parking lots near some of these trails...heh heh...

How are they for biking? (the pedal kind)

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

How are they for biking? (the pedal kind)

Quite good...I see quite a few people in the park on bikes.  I've thought about getting a bicycle again and getting out and about. 

cuva-towpath_bikers_nps_600.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Quite good...I see quite a few people in the park on bikes.  I've thought about getting a bicycle again and getting out and about. 

cuva-towpath_bikers_nps_600.jpg

Go for it, you will thank yourself. So totally worth it and todays bikes can be e-assist or fully electric with just pedal start. The bikes have gotten very comfy and gives an outstanding experience outside.

^^^ I was gonna post exactly what @ykX is sayin'.

I refrained because I didnt want to sound too douchey.   I was gonna say its counter productive to power a bicycle other than h-powered.  Unless of course an E-Bike is used as main transportation as they do in Asian countries and in some European ones too. 

^^^

I guess you are right. But I still think its counter productive.   If you aint fit to bike ride (too long), than maybe e-assist may work out for you, but what better way to get INTO shape than to NOT use e-assist and use your sheer will power and determination and motivation to use your LEG muscles to POWER YOUR way through and BECOME fit.   I dont know.   Maybe the slogans:  'Just Do it!'   and   'No pain,  No gain'  are just marketing BS...   

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^

I guess you are right. But I still think its counter productive.   If you aint fit to bike ride (too long), than maybe e-assist may work out for you, but what better way to get INTO shape than to NOT use e-assist and use your sheer will power and determination and motivation to use your LEG muscles to POWER YOUR way through and BECOME fit.   I dont know.   Maybe the slogans:  'Just Do it!'   and   'No pain,  No gain'  are just marketing BS...   

They are just marketing BS.  

Unfortunately, we have a whole new class of people now who look fit but have next to zero cardio stamina.  Covid has caused permanent lung damage in many of those who caught it.  Good friends of mine who are(were?) arguably more athletic than I am, now get winded climbing the steps to their second floor apartment and they had Covid over a year ago. One of them was a wrestler.  It's not always about what the legs can do but what the heart and lungs can do. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They are just marketing BS.  

Unfortunately, we have a whole new class of people now who look fit but have next to zero cardio stamina.  Covid has caused permanent lung damage in many of those who caught it.  Good friends of mine who are(were?) arguably more athletic than I am, now get winded climbing the steps to their second floor apartment and they had Covid over a year ago. One of them was a wrestler.  It's not always about what the legs can do but what the heart and lungs can do. 

I hear ya loud and clear, Drew! 

Initially, I refrained from spewing my diatribe because I KNEW it be douchey...  But I posted it anyway...  I feel like I need to apologize.  But I wont. Too many people think Canadians are nice and they apologize all the time. Well.  I wont give in to the stereotype!   LOL

• Haha 1

Soooooo then this brings up the question...... 🤔

ICE only auto's might get winded due to the small engines, so e-assist might just be the right way to go to help to little, bitty engines! ;) 

So should we just e-assist all auto's then?

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not everyone is as fit as everyone else.

That's what gears are for. 

40 minutes ago, David said:

ICE only auto's might get winded due to the small engines, so e-assist might just be the right way to go to help to little, bitty engines! ;) 

They already have turbochargers. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, David said:

36 minutes ago, balthazar said:

IC is more powerful on average now than ever - what's this wishful thinking?

yes, in HP/Liter.... if you're spinning them to 7,000 rpm... they are the highest HP/Liter they've ever been....

But all of the manufacturers putting these sub-1.5liter I3 and I4s in things that really need more displacement is what I think @Davidis referencing.  My Encore was an overall great vehicle hampered by the 1.4T... and now they've made a bigger version powered by a smaller displacement motor. eAssist couldn't hurt.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Could be, but the running gear under a Santa Cruz is no less capable than what is under a Cherokee, Rav4, CR-V, Subaru, Equinox or whatever else and the small-mid crossover market is several million units a year.  The majority of pick up buyers don't tow 10,000 pounds or haul a lot of payload, they overbuy capability they won't ever use.  So I think this Santa Cruz will find a lot of buyers because there isn't anything else like it on market.

1 hour ago, David said:

48 volt mild hybrid everything.   While ICE lasts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Could be, but the running gear under a Santa Cruz is no less capable than what is under a Cherokee, Rav4, CR-V, Subaru, Equinox or whatever else and the small-mid crossover market is several million units a year.

Fixed.

The Cherokee Trailhawk and certain equipped levels of Forester and Outback are certainly more off-road capable.

• Agree 4

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not everyone is as fit as everyone else. The E-Bikes allow for an assist for those who need it. 

Like those of us with horrible knees that still enjoy riding a bike.

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

IC is more powerful on average now than ever - what's this wishful thinking?

Yeah, those 3 bangers are something to behold for sure. 😁

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Bikes already have their own built-in "super-duper easy mode". 

GEARS.jfif 309.34 kB · 2 downloads

Engineering is always about making it better, faster and easier. Welcome to e-assist! :P 

34 minutes ago, David said:

Engineering is always about making it better, faster and easier. Welcome to e-assist! :P 

You should make e-assist to your weights when you workout.  I am sure that will make you better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

e-assist for bicycles is for people who think they want to workout but will only do so a couple random weeks per year. They will NEVER get into any decent kind of shape with a bike like that and a mindset that goes along with them. 

I have to agree.  There are plenty of level, paved or packed gravel bike trails where even a person with bad knees or other health issues can do fine, especially considering that most modern bikes have at least 7 to 12 gears, even cruisers.

I do understand if someone is using e-bike simply as efficient commuter.  That probably is great in a city and prevents a person to come to work all sweaty.

But we somehow got derailed from the main article.  Will be interesting to see when Santa Cruz goes on sale how many they will actually sell.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

e-assist for bicycles is for people who think they want to workout but will only do so a couple random weeks per year. They will NEVER get into any decent kind of shape with a bike like that and a mindset that goes along with them. 

34 minutes ago, ykX said:

I have to agree.  There are plenty of level, paved or packed gravel bike trails where even a person with bad knees or other health issues can do fine, especially considering that most modern bikes have at least 7 to 12 gears, even cruisers.

I do understand if someone is using e-bike simply as efficient commuter.  That probably is great in a city and prevents a person to come to work all sweaty.

But we somehow got derailed from the main article.  Will be interesting to see when Santa Cruz goes on sale how many they will actually sell.

I agree that there are many lazy people who will only see e-assist as a way to minimize them having to work out. Yet for those that have medical issues with their joints, tendons, muscles, cardiovascular or heart disease, e-assist will allow them to have more freedom and get out, they still have to pedal, just not as hard.

I see it as some exercise is better than no exercise and getting fresh air is better than living in a box never moving much.

For me, I never see the need for e-assist for exercise, I want to feel the discomfort of knowing I am pushing my muscles to the maximum. Deeper breathing to stretch and work the lungs, better firmer muscles to know that I have core strength.

In regards to the Hyundai Santa Cruz Life Style Pickup, I expect it to sell very well. Far more people are getting into mountain biking, gardening and active life style where a pickup like this that allows them to go do fun things with friends and family makes perfect sense and Hyundai has had a good track record of marketing success.

I think this truck will succeed and I can clearly see an e-assist hybrid model as well as a full on EV model.

Course with Toyota USA announcement that they will also have BEV trucks by 2023 for the market, makes me think Hybrids will be ignored in favor of going pure electric.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Bikes already have their own built-in "super-duper easy mode". 

GEARS.jfif 309.34 kB · 3 downloads

You clearly have never had:

A.)-Bad knees since you were 19 (thanks football)

and

B.)-Biked in a place like Prescott, AZ which 5500 ft above sea level and full of hills

And this is from a former avid bike rider who loved his 21 speed Trek but those hills were murder on my knees when I lived in Prescott, even in the "easiest" gear.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Literally wrong on all fronts. I've riden E-Bikes (in Arizona) and find them quite helpful while providing that good cardio. Do not assume someones condition based off of their need for an E-Bike.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

And this is from a former avid bike rider who loved his 21 speed Trek but those hills were murder on my knees when I lived in Prescott, even in the "easiest" gear.

Literally wrong on all fronts. I've riden E-Bikes (in Arizona) and find them quite helpful while providing that good cardio. Do not assume someones condition based off of their need for an E-Bike.

I get it...I did a lot of mountain biking at 6000-8000ft in the Colorado Springs area in my late 20s and early 30s. Rocky dirt trails with lots of up and down hills.  Had a 21 speed Specialized.  20 years later, I  don't think I could do that now.  Not remotely...my knees ache just living in a split level house with stairs.  And I'm carrying around an extra 50 pounds than then.   I could see an E-Bike working for me.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, ykX said:

Agreed and that's a completely different scenario. 

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

You clearly have never had:

A.)-Bad knees since you were 19 (thanks football)

and

B.)-Biked in a place like Prescott, AZ which 5500 ft above sea level and full of hills

A: That's what gears are for. Go to a low gear, virtually ZERO resistance. If one wants zero resistance, they're not looking for any workout whatsoever. 

B: Yes, I've biked in mountains in West Virginia.