Happy Birthday Ford Mustang!

I was trying to decipher the different generations of Mustang, and Wiki tells me there are 6 generations, excluding the new-t- market electrified version.

The funky ones were of the 2nd and 3rd gen, with 4 cylinders standard for the base models - a sign of those times.  With the next generation, a 6 cylinder returned as standard.

It's hard to believe the first generation went from the slim and trim mid-1960s Mustang all the way through the stouter looking 1973.

If I had to own one, it would be from later in the 5th generation (2005-2014), and in base form, so I could get a 4.0 L SOHC V6 and be spared of some gas coin, insurance coin, and unwanted attention.  Sort of like this one - with the sequential LED tail lamps, an actual window with no louvers, and some nice alloys ...

2011FRD016b_640_02.jpg

Kudos to the Mustang, and its designers, for keeping the styling cues identifiable and consistent enough across all these years, while still managing to update the car and make it relevant.  The Camaro and the Challenger having taken "gap years."  That makes the Mustang the only American pony car to be produced continuously.  The things you learn from Wiki.

3 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

It's hard to believe the first generation went from the slim and trim mid-1960s Mustang all the way through the stouter looking 1973.

I've always thought it was odd that 65-73 is considered one generation; the body was restyled 3 times after the initial ('67,'69,'71).  But the underpinnings/dirty bits stayed largely unchanged, so I guess that is why it's considered one generation.  The 3rd gen (Fox) is probably my favorite from personal experience, esp. after the 1987 facelift. 

I wouldn't mind having a 6th gen in GT or Bullitt form...I'd have to have the 5.0 V8. 

drive train aside, I don't believe things interchange from '70 to '71- all dimensions changed & the body was completely new. That's a generational change, by most all definitions.

I probably like the circa '66 fastback and the some of the very recent ones the best. I have a 'closet' fascination with the '71-73 'sports roof' of whatever it's called, because it's so unique. I would never own a Mustang tho- too commonplace.

GT500 Fastback from the early years along with the GT500 convertible are my favorites, but I would rather own a Yukon GT SUV or Full size Bronco SUV over the Mustang.

My favorite is the Shelby GT350, especially in this color

2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-heritage-edition-3.jpg

I test drove it and it is simply glorious.  Too bad I couldn't afford it.

Personally I like it even more than new GT500.  

My second favorite is the original GT350.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, ykX said:

My favorite is the Shelby GT350, especially in this color

2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-heritage-edition-3.jpg

I test drove it and it is simply glorious.  Too bad I couldn't afford it.

Personally I like it even more than new GT500.  

My second favorite is the original GT350.

I find the GT350 quite appealing also, esp. in the classic white w/ blue stripes.also .like the GT350R version.. quite tasty..also like that the GT350 has a manual transmission, which the GT500 doesn't... the GT350 sounds like a great driver's car from what I've read.   It sounds like the new Mach 1 basically has the same suspension tuning, etc as the GT350 but w/  Coyote 5.0 instead of the Voodoo 5.2.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1