Blue Devil = Sting Ray

Autoweek is reporting that when Chevy said there was no Blue Devil they were not lying. That is because it has been given the name Sting Ray.

Little info was reported that we did not know already such as Carbin Fiber Hood, 600 HP, and a price at $100,000.

I am sure ther will be added features over the Z06 and by the time it reaches market it will find a little more than 600 HP. Thwy alway seem to find 5-15 HP at release time.

I wonder it this finally kills the Kappa idea that Chey did not need.

Sting Ray certainly has more cache than Blue Devil... specifically if you're not a Blue Devil's fan!

Mark this one down as a good decision.

I think they should do a Kappa Chevy too... call

it Nomad or Nova or Blue Flame... :P Style it

accordingly, as in the Nomad concept or a 2 dr

ht of some sort.

At present the only Kappa woulf have been a Solstice clone and Chevy needs it like a hole in the head.

If GM goes through with a Kappa 2 that can be expanded we might see a Nomad. They just don't have the platform to support it yet.

Keep in mind the show car was just that a show car on a non production platform.

I don't know if I'm am right or wrong about this but, could the Sting Ray possibly include a new interior? It seems like it is far enough away for that to be plausible. They could kill 2 birds with one stone.

I expect for the 30K difference in price between it and the Z06 we will see a few new things they just have not spoke of yet. I also expect more aero work, brakes and tires to support the cars top speed.

I know they wanted the car under 3000 pounds, I wonder how close they got.

Bring it on!! Great decision to change to the Stingray name...especially since the "retro" stuff is gaining momentum, why wouldn't you want to bring back another great historical nameplate for the 'Vette.

Now if they could only make it a split window for just 1 year to really make it stand out!

Now if they could only make it a split window for just 1 year to really make it stand out!

YES!!! :):yes::thumbsup:

Edited by Sixty8panther

I say wrap the car in a a new body inspired by the '63-'67 Vette, and let all enthusiasts drool all over the damn thing!

I think its going to look like a slighty modified C6 Z06. There have been some speculation spy pics floating around. Its supposed to be touting 600hp numbers, and tipping the scales at 2900 lbs.

The C6 Z06 is already a beast and is owning its turf - including the high end exotics. I expect the Blue Devil to be miles ahead of anything on the road.

So I recall in another thread about this car, that there was concern over how GM would get all 600HP to the ground effectively. Some thought there was potential for the car to be AWD. I personally LOVE this idea, but for the purists, does this ruin the Corvette heritage? We are of couse talking about a $100,000 corvette afterall, not much heritage kept in that either...

My ideal for this 'Stingray' is supercharged, AWD, and split window, carbon fiber everywhere(including underbody panels to make it flat), but retaining all the creature comforts of the everyday Corvette(magnetic ride, leather buckets, etc...)

I expect in time we will see more weight savings in the form or Carbon Fiber and other new materials. Weight reduction is the easiest way for increased performance if you willing to pay for it.

I don't see AWD in the near future. If they are working to remove weight why add more in the driveline? Also it can take 100-200 HP to run the front drive.

I see the weight and cost penalty going against what the Vette is all about the best performance for the money.

Also forget about a spit window. They got rid of it years ago because it was a blind spot. GM had many complaint in just the one year it was out. IN this day of safety freaks I don't see that one coming back.

Last I head and it ws a while ago this car was to look more like a C6R road going version. It was to look more racer like than the Z06.

I hope its not Stingray. The name, has no historical performance conotations.

In fact, it was on the some of the slowest Corvettes ever made the C3 (70's the car was ugly and slow!)

ZR1 gets my vote

But ZR1 sounds stupid. Atleast Stingray sounds agressive. Who cares what the past stingray was like? If you associate that slow car with this one you're a fool.

Edited by -Camaro-

But ZR1 sounds stupid. Atleast Stingray sounds agressive. Who cares what the past stingray was like? If you associate that slow car with this one you're a fool.

hey lets just quit the name calling. ALot of people would associate it with the slow ones.

ZR1 was a 1960s RPO for something, like the Z06 was. Also the "King of the Hill" Corvette ZR1 (90-95) was world class fast at the time. Doesn't sound stupid either--like Z06--its cool

hey lets just quit the name calling. ALot of people would associate it with the slow ones.

ZR1 was a 1960s RPO for something, like the Z06 was. Also the "King of the Hill" Corvette ZR1 (90-95) was world class fast at the time. Doesn't sound stupid either--like Z06--its cool

I agree, I like ZR1

In fact, it was on the some of the slowest Corvettes ever made the C3 (70's the car was ugly and slow!)

ZR1 gets my vote

On the contrary!

1959 Bill Mitchells Stingray was not only a street car, show car prototype and styling that lead to the 63 Vette.

The Stingray was a SCCA race winng champ in the hands of the Dentist racer Dick Thompson.

The Stigray won the C-modified class SCCA National title in 1959 and 1960 before the car became Mitchells personel car. These if I recall are the first road racing titles won by a Vette.

It also is one of GM most prized show cars of all time.

FYI: winning the title ment a lot as the car was a handful to drive. It had lots of lift in the front.

I saw the car in New York at the GM building a few years back and it is still stunning.

ZR1 gets my vote

That's why I think Sting Ray is better...the '67 427s were some of the fastest Corvettes ever made (and the best looking, IMHO).

Name calling? :huh::o Anyway, even if they did associate it with the slow ones, they'd soon learn that it's up there with the top supercars from Europe, then they'd associate the name Stingray with a fast car. I think ZR1 doesn't sound good at all. Stingray sounds like it's going to attack you or something. lol ZR1 would only be cool, because of the old ZR1 was fast, if it were a brand new name, I don't think anyone would think it was that cool. That's my opinion though.

The Corvette will be "Stingray" with a 600hp LS9. It will have a aero package. The lack of aero package on the current Z06 is what has limited it to it's 198mph top speed.

The Stingray and the LS7 "SS" pickup (with 427 badges) are both a go.

Edited by BuddyP

Stingray="slow"?

Ya, right, I am sure my friends 71 454 Vette is slow.

Stingray was also used on the 60s models Vettes. I saw one last week at a show in Olympia. It was a 65 convertible.

Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it wasn't there. The Stingray name has a great history and a lot of good memories, especially from the Vette crowd.