C&G strikes again

RBB

OK, this is getting ridiculous.

Coming home from work yesterday, traffic was slowing as is normal during rush hour. I was in the fast lane, having just slowed from 60+ miles per hour to about five. I didn't even see it coming behind me - a woman in a white 96 Maxima didn't notice that traffic had slowed, and plowed into the back of a Land Rover Discovery, who must have been right on my tail. He smashed into my car, and dazed, I rolled into the guy in front of me:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the guy who hit me. Not too bad - he did break his washer fluid resovoir:

Posted Image

This is what he did to me:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is from me hitting the guy in front of me. The nose of my car is actually not that bad:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

blech. I'm fine - just a little stiff. The guy I hit was fine. they guy who hit me was fine, though I assume he'll be more sore than I am today. The lady in the Maxima was OK overall - she had cuts and bruises, but nothing too serious. She had a little girl in the car that couldn't have been more than three, whose face was cut up. She's probably going to have two black eyes this morning. Paramedics took them to the hospital, but I think they'll be OK. They were both aware and walking around after the accident.

It's just a car - nobody was seriously hurt.

Dammit, I like that car...

-RBB

Glad you're OK, that's what's important.

No worries, Mazdas are tough cars. That shouldn't too bad to fix. Reminds me of our 626 when we got sandwiched. A van rear-ended into us and pushed us into the car in front.

But if there is a C&G curse for accidents lately, thank goodness I don't need to drive recently... :P

Glad to hear you're okay. Sorry about your car.

The accidents lately have been ridiculous--so many! People on the road here have been a little more psychotic than normal. Thank God only 2 more weeks left of work, and then I can stay off the road for a while!

Damn bumper mismatch... :(

Yeah, tell me about it. Although he hit me hard enough, it probably still would have done quite a bit even if it had been a car.

You're very lucky the LR didn't bend either of your rear quarters with how much they wrap around on the top of the Mazda6. You'll only need a new trunk and bumper. They'll fix it for sure (better than totalling IMO). I'm not seeing any damage on the front at all...

Yeah, very lucky indeed. I do worry that the bumper smooshed the mount for the rear anti-sway bar, though. That might make things more complex:

Posted Image

The front bumper is fine - didn't even scratch the paint. Just need a new license plate bracket.

I feel bad for Reg, too. You hit his Diamante.

:lol:

Hmm... time to take the GA for a ride... See if someone totals it for me... collect money. :lol:

:lol:

Thanks all.

-RBB

Mount for the rear swaybar? :huh: That would be way forward of where your primary damage is.

If you're talking about the black rubber thing in the picture... that's a muffler hanger. It does look like your trunk floor is crinkled though. Trunk floors always surprise me at how well they pull back out. Yellow is a bear to match, I hope the bodyshop that fixes it does a good job for you, RBB.

I'm glad you're ok and I hope the car is back to you soon.

what's up w/ this "curse"!!!!! good you're ok.

Sorry about the crash man, I've been there recently and it royally sucks.  This just proves that Missouri drivers are horrible, things like that happen in Springfield all the time.

you count yourself among them?.... i don't , but i'm on the other side of the state.

Holy cow, RBB ... very sorry :(.

Hmm...maybe I'll start walking everywhere for a while.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Who's gonna hold me tonight?" ... Trace Adkins ... 'Help Me Understand'

So I got the insurance estimate based on a visual inspection by a claims agent.

$6700, all told, with a list of replacement parts 3 pages long. Included:

Repl rear floor pan

Rpr RT Rear rail assy

Rpr LT Rear rail assy

Repl Floor c'member

I assume that means they think the structure in the rear is compromised? It's at the dealer now for an official estimate.

Fault was completely assigned to the lady in the Maxima - none of the rest of us are at fault at all. The Disco's been totaled, and her 50K limit for damages may not be enough to cover all four cars. My insurance (same co. as hers) says they will cover the difference on my policy, and I may not have to pay a deductible.

-RBB

Yup, those rails are the frame on a unibody car like yours. That's kind of a big deal. They're welded to the trunk floor. I guess the "rear crossmember" is the rear body panel. It's that vertical panel that the trunk lid striker is mounted to, it goes the width of the car and is welded to the trunk floor and quarter panels.

If you care to, I'm interested in hearing the jist of the "official estimate" when you get it. Thanks in advance.

The Disco's been totaled, and her 50K limit for damages may not be enough to cover all four cars.  My insurance (same co. as hers) says they will cover the difference on my policy, and I may not have to pay a deductible.

*raises eyebrow*

Am I the only one that is a little leery of the "may not have to pay a deductible"?

RBB, I'd make darn sure that they are not going to make you pay a deductible on this ... after all, as you noted, you were NOT at fault. As such, you shouldn't have to pay anything to get your car repaired.... At least, that's my humble opinion ;).

Good luck ... and do keep us posted on this situation.

*raises eyebrow*

Am I the only one that is a little leery of the "may not have to pay a deductible"?

RBB, I'd make darn sure that they are not going to make you pay a deductible on this ... after all, as you noted, you were NOT at fault.  As such, you shouldn't have to pay anything to get your car repaired....  At least, that's my humble opinion ;).

Good luck ... and do keep us posted on this situation.

If someone had kicked in my door, I'd have to pay a deductible to repair the car, even though it's not my fault. Generally speaking, any claim that goes against my own policy should be subject to some kind of deductible.

Hypothetically, say $5000 of her $50K limit is allocated to repairing my car after taking into consideration damages to the other three cars. Assuming the ins. co's estimate of $6700 in repairs is accurate, that leaves me $1700 short. My policy would cover the difference in that case as a no-fault claim, but I fully expected that I'd need to pay a deductible on that claim. If I don't it's a suprise to me.

-RBB

Damn that sucks... a curse or hex is right huh?

Could have been worse:

It could have been a 1981-84 Maxima which is a lot more valuable. :wink:

If someone had kicked in my door, I'd have to pay a deductible to repair the car, even though it's not my fault.  Generally speaking, any claim that goes against my own policy should be subject to some kind of deductible.

Hypothetically, say $5000 of her $50K limit is allocated to repairing my car after taking into consideration damages to the other three cars.  Assuming the ins. co's estimate of $6700 in repairs is accurate, that leaves me $1700 short.  My policy would cover the difference in that case as a no-fault claim, but I fully expected that I'd need to pay a deductible on that claim.  If I don't it's a suprise to me.

*nods*

Point taken ... and I understand the logistics/mathematics of this scenario.

But...in the case of your accident, the claim would be going against your policy ONLY because (from what I gathered in your previous post) the other driver's policy wouldn't cover it all. To me, that's a whole 'nother ballgame....

*shrugs*

*nods*

Point taken ... and I understand the logistics/mathematics of this scenario.

But...in the case of your accident, the claim would be going against your policy ONLY because (from what I gathered in your previous post) the other driver's policy wouldn't cover it all.  To me, that's a whole 'nother ballgame....

*shrugs*

That very well could be. Hopefully, I'll know for sure in the next few days....

-RBB

Yes, hopefully!  Did they give you a timeline for them to let you know their findings/results?

No. The lady's agent hasn't returned any of my calls - I've been trying since Tuesday - and she's now out of the office until the 26th. I'm trying to find out something through my agent now...

-RBB

No.  The lady's agent hasn't returned any of my calls - I've been trying since Tuesday - and she's now out of the office until the 26th.  I'm trying to find out something through my agent now...

Heh. Well, hopefully your agent will be able to get somewhere...and give you some good news :).

Glad to read all are o.k. The surprising detail is that she will be found at fault for all incidents of damage. In many places, each person involved striking another vehicle would end up with the deductible charge as a result of being too close to the vehicle in front of them. I mean, rush-hour is rush-hour, so it's difficult to know just when someone actually stops or how slow they're going; however, it still surprises me you all didn't get dinged for the forward impact damages. I guess that's just the lucky deal.

• 1 month later...

It's back, though not exactly in the same shape it was before.

Got the car back late Friday afternoon, five weeks after this mess began. The body shop did an excellent job - panel gaps are extremely tight, and you can't see any blend lines on the paint.

Now, to explain the above comment - I got a call from the shop manager a few weeks back. He said they made a mistake. The trunk that was ordered was one that had mounts for a spoiler. He asked if I'd rather he send the trunk back and wait for a new one to arrive, or if I'd allow him to install this trunk with a spoiler at no additional charge. I took the latter option, and am quite happy I did so - it looks good. They also ordered a rear bumper that had the built-in ground effects, so now I guess I'll have to get this sill and chin skirts to match.

I'll try to have pics up by tomorrow.

-RBB

If you care to, I'm interested in hearing the jist of the "official estimate" when you get it.  Thanks in advance.

152111[/snapback]

OK, here's the final rundown;

BODY SHOP HOURS: 93.30                      $5038.20

PARTS                                           COST
----------------------------------------------------
PANEL, REAR                                   209.15
MESH, FRONT                                    10.10
PLATE R, C                                     18.70
PLATE L, C                                     18.70
GROMMET (4 QTY)                                 6.00
GROMMET (2 QTY)                                 3.00
STRIKER, LI                                    18.70
LAMP R, RR                                    131.24
ORNAMENT, R                                     5.45
ORNAMENT, C                                     5.60
MASCOT, REA                                    18.00
MOULD R, R                                     40.70
MOULD L, R                                     45.70
RETAINER R                                     12.75
GUARD L, M                                    102.10
HOLDER,LIC                                      9.75
TOTAL (PARTS)                                $553.91
TOTAL (PARTS & LABOR)                       $5591.74

SUBLET                                          COST
LKQ DECK LID, LT TAIL LAMP AND REAR COVER     875.00
STRIPES                                        30.00
TOTAL (SUBLET)                               $905.00

G.O.G & SUPPLIES                                COST
PAINT/MATERIALS                               606.10
TOTAL (GOG)                                  $606.10

TAX                                          $123.60

INVOICE TOTAL                               $7226.44

-RBB

Cool rbb. I guess they were able to fix your frame rails and trunk floor, and I see they put a used trunk lid, left side taillight and rear bumper assembly on. Do you have your car back? How's it look?

Cool rbb.  I guess they were able to fix your frame rails and trunk floor, and I see they put a used trunk lid, left side taillight and rear bumper assembly on.  Do you have your car back?  How's it look?

168027[/snapback]

I have to say they did a terrific job on the body work. I'm told that color's hard to match, but it looks flawless, with now blend lines or anything. I thought the spoiler might look a little out of place on what's essentially the base-model body, but I like it.

I do notice that it pulls to the left a bit at highway speeds - I hadn't felt that before, and have a call into the dealer to see if that can be corrected.

no pics yet, will have to try again tonight or tomorrow.

-RBB

Hmmm, they put a different bumper on it too.  If that's ok with you, that's cool.  It looks good, RBB.

169847[/snapback]

It's OK with me. Means I might have to track down some side skirts and a front dam, too. And maybe some 17" wheels... :AH-HA_wink:

-RBB

Edited by RBB