Jump to content

Car spotting in the first month of summer - June 2021


Recommended Posts

• White Mach-E zipping thru lanes like a typical BMW driver. Looks good tho.
• rusted/tired red early '70s Maverick, moldering in the weeds next to a rural back road.
• Early '50s GMC pickup project, very good sheet metal
• repainted 'Petty Blue' '71-72 Charger, covered headlights, cosmetically clean, parked.
• '65 LeMans convertible, some significant patches of body rot, Iris Mist, project 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I needed some cleaning products for my automobiles. Both cars hadnt been cleaned on the inside for quite some time now...  I have 3 consecutive days off starting today so I thought Id do some car cleaning.  I thought I had some left over but nope, so before heading to work yesterday, I bought some cleaning products.     And this is what I saw in the Canadian Tire parking lot.  

My dad's 1979 Impala seemed to have had the same colour...

Say what you will about 1970s cars from GM.  

Diss, bitch and complain and say that GM's troubles began in the 1970s.  I, for one though, LOVE many many GM products from this era.   

This Poncho right here...long, low and sleek.  Beautiful convertible.  Miles better looking and interesting than the shyte cars that you could see in the background...

 

Pontiac.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the dealer this morning for service on the Jeep, they have two identical gray Ram TRXes on the lot…sticker price $99995…$13k ‘market adjustment’.  Also a red one. 
 

A nice F8 green Charger R/T and purple Challenger R/T scat pack in the showroom.

One curious thing I noticed were 3 used 2020 Kia Tellurides on the lot.   First time I’d looked at them up close, they look smaller in person   .  
 

82F2580D-2F46-4FA6-B664-34CD47D4F0DA.jpeg

3DA6C808-74B8-49CD-9893-67FE38E78582.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also on the lot were 3 Amazon Promasters in for service, 2 more down the lot…

16DEC0CB-7537-4F9F-9910-ADF524EE1AD3.jpeg

Also saw this ‘80s LeBaron in brown.  Looked clean and rust free.  Haven’t seen one in ages. 

B6C17C30-9495-4AED-88F9-26374789F0C2.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At Costco picking up steaks for BBQ dinner and I find this Volvo Jewel in the parking lot!

Gotta love 2" thick Ribeeye Regular and Tomahawk steaks.

20210618_143903.jpg

Volvo jewel

20210618_145845.jpg

20210618_145834.jpg

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My cousin (the hoarder) picked up an ‘03 mercedes 2-dr, paid $1000. I again laugh as I got a ride in it; just as much cheap plastics and plood as anything from the era. This one is beat to shit; suspension banging and crashing, radio hammering like a woodpecker, trans slipping, large swathes of hand spray-painting on the body… but the A/C works! 🙄 😆

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, balthazar said:

My cousin (the hoarder) picked up an ‘03 mercedes 2-dr, paid $1000. I again laugh as I got a ride in it; just as much cheap plastics and plood as anything from the era. This one is beat to shit; suspension banging and crashing, radio hammering like a woodpecker, trans slipping, large swathes of hand spray-painting on the body… but the A/C works! 🙄 😆

What is his plans for this Plastic POS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm used to seeing Ford Transits and Ram Promasters as Amazon Prime trucks, saw this odd one today...not sure of the make, but it looks like the trucks Fed Ex uses and reminds me of an updated version of the old GM Step Van....

unnamed-12.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'm used to seeing Ford Transits and Ram Promasters as Amazon Prime trucks, saw this odd one today...not sure of the make, but it looks like the trucks Fed Ex uses and reminds me of an updated version of the old GM Step Van....

unnamed-12.jpg

Agree it reminds me of the FedEx trucks which I thought were all international brand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Some slotting of some spotting into its proper out-of-town month.

Seen in SoCal ...

An El Camino in not so great shape but still running, most likely with a 305 c.i. V8 ... and when it was likely that the 5 GM brands were sold at their respective dealerships.  Also, the plate sequence looks very original.

KIMG0645.thumb.JPG.79520c9dfe3eb368915a1a57929b885a.JPG

- - - - -

An old school convertible Cadillac

Seen along Imperial Highway (yes, from "I Love L.A." by Randy Newman) at Pershing Drive, the road that bounds the western edge of LAX, slightly inboard from and parallel to the Pacific Ocean

KIMG0690.thumb.JPG.8485e5a3eabb3dd7cf40c49f7be613bf.JPG

Seen at the signal of Imperial Highway and Vista del Mar, which runs along the beach and which the planes take off over.

KIMG0692.thumb.JPG.79f36fc990bf36d2edcfd308fd00b227.JPG

 

KIMG0693.thumb.JPG.aeaf9d1d6550244e21cfadf640eda10b.JPG

I can assure you SoCal was a much nicer and more livable place when EITHER of these cars were newly minted.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2021 at 10:05 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Say what you will about 1970s cars from GM.  

Diss, bitch and complain and say that GM's troubles began in the 1970s.  I, for one though, LOVE many many GM products from this era.   

This Poncho right here...long, low and sleek.  Beautiful convertible.  Miles better looking and interesting than the shyte cars that you could see in the background...

Pontiac.jpg

It's tough to know when GM's troubles began.  I think that the push to make Americans think that driving an American vehicle was uncool was a big part of it.  Californians began abandoning domestic vehicles decades ago, and at a very quick rate.  Our family still kept buying them, though, and my parents were foreigners.  Yes, foreigners!

However, in terms of quality and reliability, GM did begin to falter toward the end of the '70s and beginning of the '80s.  Early versions of computerized emission control systems such as CCC (Computer Command Control) required repairs and replacements of sensors much more so than current versions, where you don't see "check engine" indicators as often.

As for the "Poncho" up above, the ghetto wheels have to go.  Put the Pontiac ones back on.  Then you've got one stellar vehicle.  They made my favorite convertibles within the GM fold.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spotted on June 11 - near home

This was at the market.  The girl who owned this car bought it when it was 1 or 2 years old and likes it.  Has the red sport trim.

KIMG0073.thumb.JPG.edb4ca554e7a74cdb7496e04c836e278.JPG

I got up closer to see this MILF sticker!  I'd never seen a sticker with that on it before.  It said, "Man, I like frogs."  I do, too.  I took 3 years of French in high school.

KIMG0077.thumb.JPG.847bfdea57d2cb2a8b47b6cd3b65b6e4.JPG

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

I got up closer to see this MILF sticker!  I'd never seen a sticker with that on it before.  It said, "Man, I like frogs."  I do, too.  I took 3 years of French in high school.

 

I love french too.  French girls are AWESOME when one is coming of age (wink wink) 

French MILFS?  Depending, but Ill tell you one thing...french girls between the ages of 15 (when one is also 15...) and 30, are just hot hot hot and a boy gets to learn a helluva lot about the female body and how it works with a french girl, if you know what I mean... 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I love french too.  French girls are AWESOME when one is coming of age (wink wink) 

French MILFS?  Depending, but Ill tell you one thing...french girls between the ages of 15 (when one is also 15...) and 30, are just hot hot hot and a boy gets to learn a helluva lot about the female body and how it works with a french girl, if you know what I mean... 

 

Hard pass, way too skinney, need some meat on the bones! :P 

French = Toothpicks

Pretty much any other girl / woman = curves

Asian = 2x2 ;) Still more meat than French. 😛 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

'Curves' almost always = flubber

Or the potential for that to be an issue later on, giving some credence to the adage that "you can't have your cake and eat it, too."

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

'Curves' almost always = flubber.

Boss level spin doctoring. 

I reject.

I think not, but then I do love my woman such as my ex-coworker Hyo from Korea who choose to leave Dell as a sales rep when her modeling took off and her Pilates gym started going well. Woman Has Curves!

For @A Horse With No Name who can appreciate Asian woman like me! :D 

image.png

image.png

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, balthazar said:

• White Mach-E zipping thru lanes like a typical BMW driver. Looks good tho.
• rusted/tired red early '70s Maverick, moldering in the weeds next to a rural back road.
• Early '50s GMC pickup project, very good sheet metal
• repainted 'Petty Blue' '71-72 Charger, covered headlights, cosmetically clean, parked.
• '65 LeMans convertible, some significant patches of body rot, Iris Mist, project 

I also followed a Mach E, would love to own one. 

I also have only ever seen iris mist on a GTO, never on a LeMans.  As a convertible, that would be a neat car. 72 Cahrger is badass also. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

...aaannd I realize now it is actually July.  

Right.  I'm slotting things into archival mode.

See on June 20th.

On Malibu Canyon Road, which becomes Las Virgenes Canyon Road as it approaches the Ventura Freeway (the 101) and the San Fernando Valley:

KIMG0837-inked.thumb.jpg.fe2447e4c28fc6ec2fd4cc5770912db0.jpg

On Topanga Canyon Blvd. at Ventura Blvd. in the San Fernando Valley, and right before the ramps to the Ventura Freeway (the 101):

KIMG0882.thumb.JPG.a1a96a0e52fb88fa1cc9a8e4325a5633.JPG

In Woodland Hills in the SFV, basically exclaiming: 'Axel* Foley, where are you?'

KIMG0876.thumb.JPG.1038afbaa54f18a2055f365bc866b107.JPG

* Akmed to Bronson Pinchot's character, Serge, working in the Beverly Hills art gallery

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-Akmed...

        Axel Foley

- Ahhwell...is here to see her. He's an old acquaintance.

-Cover this up. Its like (never have I understood what he says) to scrub for the customer.  Its not sexy. Its animal!

          No. Its not sexy.

- May I offer you something to drink?  Wine, cocktile, esssspressso 

         No thank -you!

- I make it myself with a little lemon twist. Is good you should try it.  

- I see you look at this piece?

          How much does it go for?

- ah hundred thirty thousand dollar.

         GET THE PHOQUE OUTTA HERE!!!

- No I cannot!

-Its a very important piece

           Ever sell one of these?

-Yesterday! 

           GET THE PHOQUE OUTTA HERE!!!!

-Im serious. I sell it myself! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...