Aura Pricing

Saturn Competitively Prices 2007 AURA

June 9, 2006

Earlier today Saturn reportedly revealed pricing for its all-new AURA midsize sedan to retailers around the country. The AURA is set to officially go on sale later next month. SaturnFans.com has learned that the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the 2007 AURA will start at $20,595 for the XE model equipped with GM's 3.5L V6 with variable valve timing (VVT). The uplevel XR model powered by a 3.6L DOHC V6 with VVT and GM's new 6-speed automatic transmission will start at $24,595. According to the company, "the AURA's MSRP, long list of standard equipment, refined interior and bold exterior design reinforce Saturn's commitment to offering solid value while executing products like never before."

Comparison shoppers may note that pricing for the 2006 Honda Accord - one of the AURA primary competitors - starts at a little over $18,000. However, the base Accord only comes with a 4-cylinder coupled to a manual transmission; the 4-cylinder automatic Accord starts at over $19,000. Meanwhile, the AURA XE comes with a standard V6 and is equipped with more standard equipment that the Accord. Honda's better equipped automatic Accord V6 starts at over $25,000.

Click here for the list of standard and optional equipment available on AURA XE and XR. A complete price list will be posted online at SaturnFans.com soon.

A 4cyl 2.4l DI Ecotec should be in the mix because alot of people indeed bought 4-banger L100/200s. Give it the 3Ps (power windows/locks/mirrors) and a few other features, base it for $17k, and watch the Accord suck it long and suck it hard.

A 4cyl 2.4l DI Ecotec should be in the mix because alot of people indeed bought 4-banger L100/200s. Give it the 3Ps (power windows/locks/mirrors) and a few other features, base it for $17k, and watch the Accord suck it long and suck it hard.

I think GM is trying to cut back on product overlap. Not all GM family cars need to be all things to all people. I think it's fine if the Aura is V6 only, especially since its aimed as a more premium car to be cross shopped with the higher end Camrys, Accords, and Volkswagen Passats.

the Aura will get the 2.4L ecotec but only as a hybrid.. simular to the Vue green line.. im hoping for a Aura redline version.. with a 3.6L and 6spd manual combo..

I see the G6 competing more with the Accord than the Aura.. there doesnt need to be a stripper version of the aura.. if you want a base midsize go buy a malibu or a G6..

the Aura will get the 2.4L ecotec but only as a hybrid.. simular to the Vue green line..  im hoping for a Aura redline version.. with a 3.6L and 6spd manual combo..

I think that's a good policy from GM. In a lot of hybrid forums (not that GM should try to appease these nuts), they say things like "such and such car would be more meaningful, if it was only a hybrid". And that will be true for the V4 Aura.

I saw a production Black Aura XE with the base wheels at the Merchant Mart in Chicago yesterday. There is some kind of high-end kitchen/ cabinet expo going on over there and looks like Saturn has the car on display in the main hallway. Sorry didn't have a camera with me. It look really good in person. If anyone is from the Chicago area, head over and get some pics. I was there for a seminar and I am no longer there. (Mercahndise Mart across from Chicago Sun Times on Wacker and Orleans/Franklin.)

That pricing seems pretty good. It's funny that the Aura XR starts at $24,595 with the 3.6L HF V6 and brand-new 6-speed auto while GM still commands $23,490 for the Malibu SS with far fewer features and the less sofisticated engine and tranny and asks $23,690 for a base G6 GTP that is inferior for the same reasons as the Malibu SS.

I'd bet that once you get the same features on a SS or GTP they're just as expensive as the Aura and have far fewer features.

That's good pricing for Aura, especially on the XE-what a deal! The Ford Fusion SE V-6 is like $21,665 or such, right? I'm glad Aura is V-6 only-leave 4-cylinders and base models to the Malibu, and give G6 a higher-performance/styling image.

sounds great! hope they really attract some new people with this pricing. hope the RL will be spectacular too!

I think that's a good policy from GM.  In a lot of hybrid forums (not that GM should try to appease these nuts), they say things like "such and such car would be more meaningful, if it was only a hybrid".  And that will be true for the V4 Aura.

you mean I4 right? :AH-HA_wink:

That pricing seems pretty good. It's funny that the Aura XR starts at $24,595 with the 3.6L HF V6 and brand-new 6-speed auto while GM still commands $23,490 for the Malibu SS with far fewer features and the less sofisticated engine and tranny and asks $23,690 for a base G6 GTP that is inferior for the same reasons as the Malibu SS.

I'd bet that once you get the same features on a SS or GTP they're just as expensive as the Aura and have far fewer features.

the 07 g6 gtp will have the same powertrain as the aura 3.6L.

That's good pricing for Aura, especially on the XE-what a deal! The Ford Fusion SE V-6 is like $21,665 or such, right? I'm glad Aura is V-6 only-leave 4-cylinders and base models to the Malibu, and give G6 a higher-performance/styling image.

Very good point. Also the Aura's base V6 has more power and more torque than the V6 in the Ford Fusion.

That's not fantastic, deal-breaker pricing, but it's not totally unrealistic as well.

Considering the Aura interior is up to par with the previous generation Accord, the base model V6 should be priced about $1500 lower...but I guess that's because we pay our workers (too) well and they give them lent.

Very good point. Also the Aura's base V6 has more power and more torque than the V6 in the Ford Fusion.

and the 3.5 aura prolly gets better EPA est. to boot than the 3.0L fusion w/ the 6speed (21/29 on ford.com)

Great job with pricing! I think the 'no haggle' aspect of the Saturn experience has resulted in reasonable pricing to prevent a need for rebates....

I don't see the need to shop Chevy or Pontiac with this pricing and content levels. I'm assuing the 3.6HF will make more appearances in the Epsilons as time goes by...

the difference of course that saturn doesn't dicker as much whereas chevy and pontiac never sell anywhere near msrp

Considering the hybrid Accord is a performance oriented hybrid, having the hybrid Aura be a gas sipping hybrid seems like a good idea. Folks who buy the 4 cyl Accord (like myself) generally choose the 4 cylinder version over the V6 to save on gas. Now, if they'll only do what they did with the Vue & NOT price the thing out of the range of cheapos like me, they should have a hit.

I just hope it looks better in person than it does in the pics. It looks like a coma in the pictures!

I need Canadian pricing. Can't make sense of US prices :scratchchin:

:P The exchange rate is almost 1 to 1, I bet it will not be far off from this pricing. :P

That's not fantastic, deal-breaker pricing, but it's not totally unrealistic as well.

Considering the Aura interior is up to par with the previous generation Accord, the base model V6 should be priced about $1500 lower...but I guess that's because we pay our workers (too) well and they give them lent.

I agree. The pricing is not aggressive enough. The midsize segment is hypercompetitive, and it's highly improbable that anyone is going to be attracted to the Aura because of this pricing. Taking Saturn's no-haggle pricing into account, the average Aura will likely cost more out-the-door than your typical Accord or Camry. And that's too bad because I believe that the Aura needed to signficantly undercut the competition in order to have a fighting chance.

Aside from Saturn's no-dicker stickers and 3.6 DOHC, GM is essentially repeating the exact approach that it took with the 2005 G6. When the G6 first launched, there was no 4-cylinder model and most of the cars on the dealers' lots were in the $23K-$27K range. And customers laughed and walked away.

:P The exchange rate is almost 1 to 1, I bet it will not be far off from this pricing.  :P

unfortunatley daily exchage rates have nothing to do with MSRPs between the US and Canada.

Example--a C6 Corvette is about 42K USD? 67K CDN! 25K difference

Z06 is 89 K up here and 65K USD

XLR V is much closer at 100K USD and 113K CDN.

Most price differences are probably in the middle.

here's a few that i spotted on the road, yesterday. i am trying to attach the photo i took last night of a truckload of auras!

Edited by jry

• 3 weeks later...

priced WAY under Camry.  and it comes to market with 6 speeds and OHC 252 hp.  Did GM maybe have a clue on how to launch a car?

165241[/snapback]

People will buy a Camry, just because it is a Camry. Very few will buy an Aura just because it is an Aura. Most will buy an Aura because of it's content/price ratio.