Jump to content

Ford News: 2022 Maverick Release with Hybrid Standard and Now Ford is Saying BEV to also be Added!


David

Recommended Posts

I probably have 2 feet of empty space in front of my Jeep when the rear is close to the door, so I could fit something a bit longer.  Its the garage width for two vehicles that is the issue.  When I lived in AZ, of course, I drove longer cars regularly but didn’t have a garage (500SEL and DTS).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2021 at 3:47 PM, balthazar said:

Please, folks; do not do this in a Maverick: 

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 3.45.47 PM.png

I doubt I will be in a situation like that more than once for the lifetime of a vehicle if I ever buy it, but if I do have to do it, the drive from my local Home Depot is a less than 10 minutes on local slow roads.  I think I will be all right.

On the other hand load the bed with other Home Depot supplies without worrying about messing around interior of my wife's SUV or to throw in my mountain bike without needing to fuss around with bike rack seems like a very attractive proposition.

I do want a decent AWD system with either hybrid power or fully electric power train due to my long commute. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also think it's common sense that nobody is buying a Maverick to load 4x8 sheets of anything on a "regular basis" but if they have a project at home, there's zero issue making a few trips with a Maverick. Anybody who's doing real truck things that often, is buying a larger truck. I thought it was pretty obvious that this isn't a truck for those people. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

Isn't a 200" long vehicle "large" tho??

It's an interesting idea, but in order to keep the tailgate bulk & weight manageable and STILL have the strength of what you're proposing... it seems it would get unwieldy & hard to engineer. Some trucks have 'flip-out' bed extenders... but those hog bed space when flipped in. Not a fan.

Perhaps Tesla will offer power extending sides that angle upward toward the rear, so the top edge of the tailgate (when up) is like 5 feet off the ground. Keep the prying eyes off your bedful of basketballs. That'd be 'groundbreaking' (or pick the vapid, over-used descriptor of your choice).

You have to stop assuming that someone is going to routinely carry a half ton of MDF board in Maverick, thus making is dangerous to do so. As others have pointed out already, that kind of daily use is going to full size trucks. For those once a year events (of hauling 4x8 anything), the Maverick will suffice for most folks who know how use common sense when securing said load (emphasized in bold because I feel you keep sidestepping that fact).

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Much like David can't fit into... any modern vehicle, you have a tiny garage. Standard in modern construction is 18' deep (216").

I've never been able to get my truck in any garage... but that obviously hasn't stopped me from owning a few.
I did have my Bonneville in my 'house garage' (221" long). That was very tight tho.

One Reason I drive an Escalade ESV, another reason I own a home built in 1952 that was the Home Builders home for our house development. It is the only home that has a 2 car garage compared to all other homes built at that time had a single car garage and the garage is 32ft deep, allows me to park anything inside and still move around with the garage doors closed. Love my garage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fail to see why frequency is material here. It only takes 1 spilled load to create a hazardous condition.

'Common sense' has been my point all along; common sense says this is not the vehicle for that job and I'm 'downvoting' Ford for portraying it as being common sensical. Ford portraying the parallel-to-the-road load pictured secured with a single 1-inch strap is also not in a 'common sense' manner. 

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I doubt I will be in a situation like that more than once for the lifetime of a vehicle if I ever buy it, but if I do have to do it, the drive from my local Home Depot is a less than 10 minutes on local slow roads.  I think I will be all right.

And you probably will. I've taken oversized material to jobs in my 6.5' bed before without incident (but always way better secured than what Ford portrayed here). But I'm just an individual idiot, not an OEM subject to liability lawsuits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say at one time or another everyone here has overloaded their existing vehicles. I wish Home Depot had the auto rental when I bought my house in 1999. I gutted it and when I redid the sheetrock with 1" thick sheet rock that I custom ordered it, I did not think about how I would get it to my house. The Home Depot person also did not tell me about the weight and options for delivery. When the order came in, I was ready to start hanging it in the house and yet realizing how heavy it was, first asked about getting it delivered. Nope, not for a couple weeks as it had to be scheduled up.

So I went with loading up my 1994 GMC Suburban. Talk about a number of local road trips from Home Depot to my house to get all the sheet rock into my garage and then I was able to start hanging it. Long day of multiple loads, started hanging the next day, but while I know I overloaded my Suburban, I never felt it was a danger as I had it secured and closed up inside the Suburban.

The reason for stating this is I can also see people doing the above with the Maverick mini-pickup truck. Yes, I agree with Balthazar that it would be best in a full size pickup with an 8ft bed for maximum security, yet we all know people will do this and hopefully they will have enough common sense to double strap the end for added security as a single strip is not enough in my book.

Too simple for idiots like in the 90's in the LA area that would cut the single strap on trucks and have them loose the loads on local roads just because they thought it was funny. Remember seeing that in the news and just shook my head at the stupid waste of money and destruction.

Course we all have seen stupid stuff like this:

image.png

At least the police here stop total stupid truck loading in the states compared to other countries.

image.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What was your reasoning for going with 1-in drywall?

I am into Home Theater and at the time had kids, so I gutted my 1952 house to the studs. Used Smokers Sealer paint on the whole interior to seal the old musty smell, replaced the lead pipes with commercial grade Copper, Updated electrical to current code and new panel, then insulated both interior and exterior walls.

1 inch sheet rock is considered noise cancelation grade or better known as sound proofing. There are two ways to do this. you can insulate the walls and use 1 inch or hang two 1/2" sheets with a Z bracket in between them to ensure sound proofing in all rooms. Being an older home, I did not want to loose room so I went with 1" sheetrock for maximizing sound deadening and insulation.

Usually most people due to the weight, will do the following:

image.png

Some people will do this with dual sheetrock

image.png

Due to loosing valuable room space, I choose to insulate and use the 1" sheetrock to sound proof the house. The image is showing double drywall, but I choose to go with the 1" over dual 1/2" sheets. Love how quiet and solid the house is.

image.png

I do notice that there are many new sound proofing materials allowing for changes in how it is done such as this example with plastic spacers.

image.png

Interesting, compared to 1999, 1" sheetrock is now considered for commercial applications only, 5/8 inch sheetrock is now the largest Home Depot and Lowes carries. They are now installing a dual 1/2 or dual 5/8 inch sheet rock between walls as a separation barrier for sound proofing.

image.png

Seems now they are suggesting dual 5/8 inch sheetrock with insulation for sound proofing. Have to think this is due to the weight as I was a bitch for me to hang the ceiling panels.

image.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

For the record, this is dangerous. What is shown in Maverick pic is not. I was actually behind this fool, waaaay behind until they turned here. 320563C8-C8D2-48A4-B609-44B2B04580B7.thumb.jpeg.f03f685314a3967d7b459beff5e8e9f4.jpeg

Where is a police when you need them to ticket for unsecured load. Talk about dangerous, that is just crazy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Nah- that's a back road and he was going slow. 😆

I wish that were true but it wasn’t. Had to follow this idiot for three miles through town before he turned the other direction. 

50 minutes ago, David said:

Where is a police when you need them to ticket for unsecured load. Talk about dangerous, that is just crazy.

I see this everyday and have yet to one get pulled for this. Saw an old early 90s Nissan pick up loaded like that two days ago and it had a refrigerator shell ON TOP OF THE CAB top boot! Apparently Sanford and Son is big business here.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 12:00 PM, David said:

I am into Home Theater and at the time had kids, so I gutted my 1952 house to the studs. Used Smokers Sealer paint on the whole interior to seal the old musty smell, replaced the lead pipes with commercial grade Copper, Updated electrical to current code and new panel, then insulated both interior and exterior walls.

1 inch sheet rock is considered noise cancelation grade or better known as sound proofing. There are two ways to do this. you can insulate the walls and use 1 inch or hang two 1/2" sheets with a Z bracket in between them to ensure sound proofing in all rooms. Being an older home, I did not want to loose room so I went with 1" sheetrock for maximizing sound deadening and insulation.

Usually most people due to the weight, will do the following:

image.png

Some people will do this with dual sheetrock

image.png

Due to loosing valuable room space, I choose to insulate and use the 1" sheetrock to sound proof the house. The image is showing double drywall, but I choose to go with the 1" over dual 1/2" sheets. Love how quiet and solid the house is.

image.png

I do notice that there are many new sound proofing materials allowing for changes in how it is done such as this example with plastic spacers.

image.png

Interesting, compared to 1999, 1" sheetrock is now considered for commercial applications only, 5/8 inch sheetrock is now the largest Home Depot and Lowes carries. They are now installing a dual 1/2 or dual 5/8 inch sheet rock between walls as a separation barrier for sound proofing.

image.png

Seems now they are suggesting dual 5/8 inch sheetrock with insulation for sound proofing. Have to think this is due to the weight as I was a bitch for me to hang the ceiling panels.

image.png

stop getting me horned up with all those construction details

I am totally ok with the Maverick and also the hybrid i like.  I think a base model with a simple non hybrid should be discussed.  Turbo a good option also.

I don't mind the FWD, if you want a real truck then get a Ranger.  FWD means anyone in snow states can buy as a generic transport device.  Those wanting RWD can get an AWD.

using this platform just helps amortize the Escape and Bronco Sport also.

Really though, a standard cab with a longer box should really really be another choice here.

Look at what Ford has done without much ceremony recently.  New Escape which has also brought us new Bronco Sport and new compact truck.  New markets!  New Explorer on RWD chassis ensures dominance of police segment, also we get Bronco also.  Mach E.  an accessible priced all electric.

Marry Barra and GM haven't done shit lately with new products or new segments.  It's time for PC Mary and GM management to be put out to trash.  GM is doing nothing to generate new flexible platforms to accommodate new and popular segments and to refresh their products.  GM is circling the drain.  A 9000 pound Hummer that will sell to 3000 people and a plug in Cadillac hybrid won't help GM win back their continually eroding market share.

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

lol gm made like 3 billion in profit last quarter and the bolt is second in sales vs the model 3 and y, seems like they know what they’re doing

the maverick is neat but not having a long box seems like a misstep if Ford ever wants to court municipal and corporate fleets that’d like the hybrid’s economy but oh well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FAPTurbo said:

lol gm made like 3 billion in profit last quarter and the bolt is second in sales vs the model 3 and y, seems like they know what they’re doing

the maverick is neat but not having a long box seems like a misstep if Ford ever wants to court municipal and corporate fleets that’d like the hybrid’s economy but oh well

Glad to see you back FAPTubro!

I honestly can see a longer bed being added once they get manufacturing going. They did it before in the 70's and 80's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...