Guest YellowJacket894

Ford Focus Is Not A Money Maker

29 posts in this topic

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Ford losing thousands on current Focus

New model in 2008…

In May, Ford sold an impressive 20,000 Focus compacts. Unfortunately, it lost $4,000 to $5,000 on each unit it sold, reports BusinessWeek. The report attributes the loss to “high labor costs and tired product design.” The report indicates that Ford will rectify the problem by offering a new Focus in 2008. Instead of building it in the United States, it will be built in Mexico. (On June 1, Leftlane News brought you exclusive spy shots of the much-praised European Ford Focus in testing in Mexico). Ford should have brought a new Mexico-built Euro Focus to America when it had the chance in 2004, says BW. “Ford clearly thought Americans were too dumb to realize they were getting an old car,” the magazine said. The article also reiterates reports that Ford’s 2008 lineup will include the Bronco subcompact.

(From Left Lane News.com.)

I'm getting a GTI this fall. Not waiting for another year... I've bled too much blue, and I'm ready for a change... when I graduate, it's going to be a lifted Tacoma and a Camaro(If GM biulds one... ) sitting on my driveway, oh, and my GTI... and if I'm really really rich or something, maybe a Saab or something... and if I'm filthy rich, a Konigsegg.

Ford should have brought a new Mexico-built Euro Focus to America when it had the chance in 2004, says BW. “Ford clearly thought Americans were too dumb to realize they were getting an old car,” the magazine said.

ROFL! Ford's 1.2billion dollar loss last quarter, I'm willing to bet stems largely from this attitude.

if you read mkaresh post on this topic in GM...I you will see that their are differences in profit terms and that the 4500 dollar number may or may not be acutal. Ford would not sell the car if they were losing this much.

Edited by regfootball

No, Ford did not think "Americans are too dumb..."

At the time [year 2000-02] the decisions were made to keep the C170, the Focus was selling well, and they went with 'if it ain't broke...' theory. But they went to conservative for the 2005, and made it look even older.

No, Ford did not think "Americans are too dumb..."

At the time [year 2000-02] the decisions were made to keep the C170, the Focus was selling well, and they went with 'if it ain't broke...' theory. But they went to conservative for the 2005, and made it look even older.

Yes, I like the original Focus more based on looks. Its more edgy, more in-your-face. The only thing really improved for '05 was making an American license plate fit properly.

Even though the Euro Focus is dazzling, to me it makes ok sense to try to milk the current one, HOWEVER, they botched the interior and did not give us a top level motor to match the SRT etc.

And for America, the Focus lacks about 2" in cabin width. 2" more width can really make a BIG impression......

Actually, the Focus' biggest problem has always been option packaging, trim levels, and prices. Ford fixed the reliability stuff. Ford fixed most recall stuff after the first year and be 2002 the Focus was near where it is today.....gold standard.

Only within the last year or so have you seen really attractively priced Focus on lots, and even then, these cars are stripped. The cavalier and now the Cobalt have always had better features for the price.

When I got my 500 last fall, Ford was still trying to extract 18 grand for an ST Focus. A new 500 could be had for about 20, barely much more. The Fusion had just come out. By December, it was possible to get a manual and sunroof equipped 4 cylinder Fusion for about the same price as the Focus ST. And even many Mazda 6i's were consistently cheaper. All had the same engine.

One time when i priced the Aztek out two years ago, I at that time had thought of getting a loaded Focus wagon for myself instead. I could not find one new for less than 20 it seemed.

I still think Ford does not need to bother with a subcompact. What they need to do is manage the pricing and trim levels better on the current Focus, give more for the money. And also offer a high mileage version like the Civic HF used to do. Over time, Ford can bring the new slightly larger Euro Focus or successor in and they still could sell the current Focus as the low priced car. They do need to bring back a performance version.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, Ford needs to MARKET the HELL out of the new car and establish it as WORTHY competition to the new Civic. If Mazda can do it with the 3 then Ford can do it with the Focus...

Except, I'm sure the media won't like this car NEARLY as well as they did the 3.

As for the 2005.... I LOVE the looks/handling of my 2001, but I wouldn't own a 2005. It's just too tepid for me.

As for the "too dumb" comment... That's just Business Week being biased as usual. I think they try to BLATANTLY be anti-Detroit and FOG QUOTE "Apparently they seem to think that americans are dumb enough not to realize it."

(Too bad they are too DUMB to realize it, or that joke would be better.)

I'm just wondering... how will bringing the new Focus here suddenly make it a "money maker"? I can't see it unless Ford can sell a lot more AND at a much higher price.

Focus stays in Wayne County MI for the forseeable future. Said this a thousand times, by the time Ford could re-tool for 'rebadged MZ3' or a C1, it would already be labeled 'dated' by the auto media, so why bother? Just put the next one on C2 or 'Cx'.

FWIW: I bet the Cobalt doesn't make a lot of $, or even the Malibu.

I don't like when us automakers complain that they lose money with every small car the sell while Honda and Toyota don't. Maybe if you would not pay too much your employee, healthcare and all those stupid bonus, you would make money on every car you sell.

That's their fault.

I don't like when us automakers complain that they lose money with every small car the sell while Honda and Toyota don't. Maybe if you would not pay too much your employee, healthcare and all those stupid bonus, you would make money on every car you sell.

That's their fault.

Would massive strikes be cheaper?

I just don't want Ford to drop the Focus wagon.

Agreed. The economy, utility, and improved reliability make it competitive.

What it needs is a little style. I'd like to see Ford add the 3 bar grill and a dash of chrome outside and in. Also, what's up with offering the same alloys the wagon had when it was introduced 7 years ago? Offer some sportier alloys and add the rear headrests like the Canadians get. Had been thinking of a Maxx or Vibe, but the Focus seems to make a lot of sense on paper.

Just rebadge the Mazda 3 build it wherever and sell it as the focus.

To hell with that, there's enough of that going on at Ford.

The worst example is what I like to call the "Ford Mondeo with a Kitten on the hood." <_<

To hell with that, there's enough of that going on at Ford.

The worst example is what I like to call the "Ford Mondeo with a Kitten on the hood." <_<

Yeah, because the X-type is exactly the same as the Mondeo I can buy at my local dealership, with a leaper on the hood, nothign has changed at all, and I can buy them both at a dealership right now in the USA. :rolleyes:

Agreed.  The economy, utility, and improved reliability make it competitive.

What it needs is a little style.  I'd like to see Ford add the 3 bar grill and a dash of chrome outside and in.  Also, what's up with offering the same alloys the wagon had when it was introduced 7 years ago?  Offer some sportier alloys and add the rear headrests like the Canadians get.  Had been thinking of a Maxx or Vibe, but the Focus seems to make a lot of sense on paper.

the focus wagon has an amazing amount of cargo space.

the focus wagon and Saturn Vue are two vehicles that offer a ton of space packaged efficiently. The focus wagon's cargo hold is almost the same size as a mazda6.

the 2.3 l. engine would be a nice bonus for the wagon.

In CA, they offered that in '04 when they introduced their new PZEV engines. The option cost fewer than $200, I think.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.