Sign in to follow this  
ToniCipriani

G6 Sedan Taillight Update

8 posts in this topic

IMO, this basic taillight design, while classy, is getting way overused. Seems like half the cars on the market today have no reflector, tail lights that hug an angled trunk lid edge, and flow up the side of hte car a bit to a point, with a clear circle or other small shape for the reverse light. Time for something different.

I would put two thin, black horizontal ribs in the lens, throwing out the round element completely. The top rib would be a continuation of the bodyline, meeting the point at the side of the lamp. The bottom rib would evenly cut the taillamp three ways. The backup lamps should be round, located at the outer ends of the bumper cover, a la last-gen Grand Am. The bumper cover should have a more pronounced horizontal contour line connecting the backup lamps.

I still believe Pontiacs need ribbed taillights. Am I too "old school"? I say there's nothing wrong with recognizability.

Edited by ocnblu

I would put two thin, black horizontal ribs in the lens, throwing out the round element completely.  The top rib would be a continuation of the bodyline, meeting the point at the side of the lamp.  The bottom rib would evenly cut the taillamp three ways.  The backup lamps should be round, located at the outer ends of the bumper cover, a la last-gen Grand Am.  The bumper cover should have a more pronounced horizontal contour line connecting the backup lamps.

I still believe Pontiacs need ribbed taillights.  Am I too "old school"?  I say there's nothing wrong with recognizability.

Nothing wrong with ribbed taillights. Just no more ribbed bodies please.

Croc's photo proves the point someone made about similarity among taillights these days. The Aura's back end, including the taillights, looks Oldsmobile-y in that photo.

So I guess the G6 needs more ribs, and a 3D surface on the lens, not just a flat lens divided by ribs.

Well, it isn't so much that taillights in general look identical between makes, but more that the 2008 AURA is a stop gap product for Saturn that's obviously just a gussied-up G6 (since EPII got pushed back until 2010-ish).

Tony you do great work from what I see, But ....its friggin invisible !!!!

i maen yes I see what you did (thx for the verbal explanation or I would not have caught the difference at all. Very subtle stuff you come up with...seriously.

This is from my Lemans thread, it kinda speaks to the comments here tho too...

maybe we have a common car after all ?...and I would love to see you work on a version someting like it , that way i could tell what you did, no offense meant, OK ???

Posted Image

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this