Expect The Unexpected.

If you're going to drive that fast, do it under controlled conditions. Do it in broad daylight, on a track, with knowledgeable people there to instruct you on the right way to drive a car safely at that speed. Your area seems very hilly with winding roads, so at 115mph chances are that the car could lose its grip on the pavement. I'm not saying that will happen, but it could, and once it does, it's in God's hands. Your reflexes aren't quick enough to get the car right again. Don't take it from me, look at what happened to Dale Earnhardt. At such high speeds, the slightest disturbnce could give you a loss of control. And he had much more safety equipment in his car than you do in the Millenia.

If you're going to drive that fast, do it under controlled conditions. Do it in broad daylight, on a track, with knowledgeable people there to instruct you on the right way to drive a car safely at that speed. Your area seems very hilly with winding roads, so at 115mph chances are that the car could lose its grip on the pavement. I'm not saying that will happen, but it could, and once it does, it's in God's hands. Your reflexes aren't quick enough to get the car right again. Don't take it from me, look at what happened to Dale Earnhardt. At such high speeds, the slightest disturbnce could give you a loss of control. And he had much more safety equipment in his car than you do in the Millenia.

I respect the thought... but I'm laughing at your entire post. Sorry.. no offense... :lol:

We have a Cobalt SS (non SC) in the shop right now.  The driver's door is caved in somewhat and the left quarter panel has a dent.  Our cleanup guy spent the day taking the entire interior out except for the dash.  Why, you ask?  Because it was drenched in blood and vomit.  The young male driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt when he slid sideways into a tree.  He hit his head on the tree and got thrown into the back seat.  When the paramedics arrived, they found him there, sitting up, facing the driver's side, dead.  Heartbreaking and disgusting, for sure. 

How extensive is the damage? I'm assuming it's totalled.

It's not totalled. It's repairable. (We are mystified why the family wants it back, a constant reminder.) It needs a door, maybe an outer rocker panel, a floor pull and repair, and repair on the quarter, besides the interior. It may need a wheel, the left rear wheel is scuffed and has splinters of wood stuck on it. Someone else will actually write the estimate, so I didn't look at it item for item. We were all amazed and horrified that the kid died, but he must have hit just right when he sideswiped the tree. Of course I have no way of knowing, but he might have been saved had he been wearing his seatbelt, it may have held him in far enough not to hit his head.

z is right, Viper. Flat road, no side access for anyone to pull out in front of you, no curves, plenty of visibility. The only place you should even consider pushing the limits of your car.

It's not totalled.  It's repairable.  (We are mystified why the family wants it back, a constant reminder.)  It needs a door, maybe an outer rocker panel, a floor pull and repair, and repair on the quarter, besides the interior.  It may need a wheel, the left rear wheel is scuffed and has splinters of wood stuck on it.  Someone else will actually write the estimate, so I didn't look at it item for item.  We were all amazed and horrified that the kid died, but he must have hit just right when he sideswiped the tree.  Of course I have no way of knowing, but he might have been saved had he been wearing his seatbelt, it may have held him in far enough not to hit his head.

z is right, Viper.  Flat road, no side access for anyone to pull out in front of you, no curves, plenty of visibility.  The only place you should even consider pushing the limits of your car.

I wonder if the $390 side curtain airbags would have made any difference.

Z is right, Viper.  Flat road, no side access for anyone to pull out in front of you, no curves, plenty of visibility.  The only place you should even consider pushing the limits of your car.

Hah... yeah... like you and your whiplash enducing governer, right? :P

Anyways... yeah, I'm not sure about Lancaster, but here, the interstate is pretty damn flat, pretty damn straight, pretty damn empty, and petty damn open. Yeah... and compared to how I drive on back roads... I'd say I can handle it. I mean.. if I can handle getting airborn in the middle of a turn, I think going 115 on a straight, flat, empty road is pretty simple. BV thinks he shouldn't be underestimated so much.

But yeah... as far as Z's post. I don't think I need instruction for that. I mean... I could cruise at that speed on those roads. Interstates make that possible. They're like Autobahns... but with speed limits and cops. 115 is nothing... I do 90 on some pretty rough back roads with no problem. And yeah... the back roads are the ones that are hilly and windy. Those are about 90% more complicated... I've lost grip before, but regained it. That's where I thank my 300EX, and all those years of riding ATVs. As far as irregularities... well, I'm traveling on these roads all my life, and personally driving them for the past 3 years (who says you need a license to drive? :D )... I know every bump, hole, crack, turn, hill, etc. Nothing's going to fool me. Except a bunny rabbit.. but that's just an extra bump... one with blood. :lol: Wait... that was last night... poor rabbit. Haha...

Don't start with me. I'm yelling at you for your own good. You just got the car. You can't possibly know everything about it yet, if it's got perfect mechanicals, how it behaves under extreme stress in any situation.

Every young guy wants to try his vehicle's limits, I realize that, I just want you to have some sense about when and where. Don't make your parents cry.

One last thought, Z... :lol: (sorry, just popped into my head)

You have to think of the cost of going to a track like that. First, the cost of gas. Have you forgotten where I live? I live in the country. The only tracks around here a oval and dirt. Then, the cost of being "taught" and the cost of "admission", etc... :P I don't think so... :D

Not to act like an old fart on you, but I'm only ten years your senior. I remember being happy just to have a car to drive and not wanting to do anything to have it taken away from me.

Since you're not worried about the safety aspect of things, look at it from another angle: catching teenagers breaking the law is better than sex for most cops. If by chance you do get caught driving that fast, don't expect to leave the cop's presence with your license still in your wallet.

Just so you know, I did research the cost of some lap time on a real race track. You know what, I think it would be an awesome experience for anyone. I may try it next year. Bondurant Racing School in Phoenix, Arizona has racing/peformance driving courses ranging from $350 to $4,525, depending on duration, type of course, etc.

Also, if you want to race, ask Chris Pauwels what he went through. He races the ARCA 4cyl series.

Well, Z... everyone's different. I was raised alot differently than you... :D

Anyways... you guys are argueing a mute point. I'm not going to stop doing what I love. I have confidence in my driving. I know the area, I know my car, I know where and when to avoid cops. Will everything always work out? No. Will I always make smart decisions? No, evidenced by once f@#king around with the Sunfire in town, after curfew. I'm not worried about wrecking or getting caught. But hey, if it happens, it happens... My fault, but I'm not going to worry about it. Worrying isn't healthy, and with these antidepressants, I couldn't if I wanted to. :P

But yeah... I'm not going to pay money for to do something on not nearly as challenging roads and without freedom.

Z's got a great idea!

The quickest way to have BV slow down is for him to

take a class from a driving school like Bondurant,

there's also Skip Barber and several others.

The instructors teach you so many things, not just

how to drive but how to look at the road, sit in your

seat properly (not gheto like) and how to make

yourself feel comfortable first before you even put

the car in first gear.