Lambda's In '10

Guest Josh

Saturn does need the Meriva and Zafira here ASAP. Look out for the Honda Fit to keep going up up up in sales. Even if gas prices dip below where they are now [3.20 in my neck of the woods]....small cars are going to make a comeback. Meriva and Zafira would help Saturn's brand image greatly. GREATLY. They need them now.

The first-generation Windstar was actually competitive, if sales are any measure. But somehow the public didn't buy into the second-generation Windstar (and Ford must have just given up with the Freestar).

The worst part about Ford not playing in the minivan segment (Aerostar and Astro/Safari are small vans, not minivans) is that the idea for the minivan was hatched at Ford in the 1970s. When Iacocca went to Chrysler, a few other Ford people went as well...and took the rejected minivan idea with them. Ford could have launched the minivan around 1980 or 1981 and cornered the market. But does anyone really think that Ford's version wouldn't have lost traction like the Taurus did?

There were two things that led to Fords' 80's era crisis...one was the Minivan debacle (Iaccoca gets credit, but it was Sperlich's idea...The Duece hated Sperlich...)

And the Second was blowing off Honda when they offered their engines (and more importantly, the CVCC tech) in Fords small car line-up. The Duece allegedly said that 'Jap' engines would never be put in a Ford branded car....Honda could have become a valued partner rather than competitor. Looking at Ford's strength in trucks and Honda's in cars, it would have been an interesting union, no?

My girlfriend has a 2005 Venture and after having a Grand Caravan I wouldn't say a Grand Caravan is really any better in day to day usage. I would drive a Venture over the Caravan just so I feel better about its reliabilty but of course this is just because I have had better luck with GM vehicles than Chrysler.

I think its a shame that the Astro wasnt updated. It gave Dad something to drive that didnt require leaving his penus on the porch when they left.

instead he went to Yamaha.... smooth move there Duece

HF II was long gone by then..and there were Mazda engines in Ford cars years before the Yamaha-engined Taurus SHO.

Edited by moltar

My girlfriend has a 2005 Venture and after having a Grand Caravan I wouldn't say a Grand Caravan is really any better in day to day usage.  I would drive a Venture over the Caravan just so I feel better about its reliabilty but of course this is just because I have had better luck with GM vehicles than Chrysler.

To each his own. I would rather drive my Town & Country than any GM minivan because of the better quality interior, better ride, and better safety. And I've had better luck with Chrysler reliability in the past than with GM's.

HF II was long gone by then..and there were Mazda engines in Ford cars years before the Yamaha-engined Taurus SHO.

"Years?" Name one. The Mazda-engined Probe was introduced the year before the SHO, and the Courier was a Mazda product (semantics, I know).

The first-generation Windstar was actually competitive, if sales are any measure. But somehow the public didn't buy into the second-generation Windstar (and Ford must have just given up with the Freestar).

The worst part about Ford not playing in the minivan segment (Aerostar and Astro/Safari are small vans, not minivans) is that the idea for the minivan was hatched at Ford in the 1970s. When Iacocca went to Chrysler, a few other Ford people went as well...and took the rejected minivan idea with them. Ford could have launched the minivan around 1980 or 1981 and cornered the market. But does anyone really think that Ford's version wouldn't have lost traction like the Taurus did?

The first-generations Windstars were competitive because Toyota and Honda were not big players at the time with their first generation Sienna and Izuzu Odyssey. Once those two really got going the Windstar started its freefall before it became the Freestar.

Glad to see my $h! still makes front page news, but isnt quoted as such.

This place is going down hill faster than a K-Car with no brakes.

What happened? GM guys fighting each other? I thought we were all all the same team? I remember you posting prematurely that the Saturn Outlook was shelved and then resigned or something like that??? Edited by I hope GMRULES again

Still.. I'd rather not have two.  No reason other then keeping costs down.

We need at least 2 sales channels peddling vans in order to turn a profit.

I would've rather had a Saturn than a GMC though... Although, if the GMC version is based on the Terracross as promised, then it should be very cool!