Sign in to follow this  
Burns

Need help...

I'm looking for decent pencils for sketching and shading. so far, ive bought a couple that i thought would be good, but they havnt been what i want. for example, today, looking for a blue (blue print like) pencil, i went out and bought a prismacolor pencil (it was unsharpened) which said "torquise" on the torquise shell. I took it home and sharpened it, excited to get that blue print look, and to my dismay, it was BLACK!!!!! it was worse than the Dixon pencils i already have and use. I wondered why it was called "torquise" when it was actually black ?!!!!!!!!!! I was so dissapointed.

here's a picture:

Posted Image

there were also alot of prismacolor color pencils for sale too, they had many shades of blue, but i wondered if it was possible to draw like i do with a color pencil. Seemed unlikely.

Now i dont know what to do, and i was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers. thanks.

Guest YellowJacket894

I use mechanical pencils with 0.5mm lead. I don't like a regular, wooden number two pencils. The lines are too thick. The lead smears really bad. I used to, however, use them for shading only. That's really the only thing they can do a mechinical pencil can't.

Burns ...either goto Blick from speed and order a set of designers pencils, or just go to walmart and buy a set of colored pencils, or an art store and buy blue pencil leads,,,turquise is a BRAND name, Prismacolor pencil sets are what you are looking for, art suppliy stores carry them, if you want the best.

otherwise wal mart pencils WILL work !...lol

....just keep sharping them !!!

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Burns ...either goto Blick from speed and order  a set of designers pencils, or just go to walmart and buy a set of colored pencils, or an art store and buy blue pencil leads,,,turquise is a BRAND name, Prismacolor pencil sets are what you are looking for, art suppliy stores carry them, if you want the best.

otherwise wal mart pencils WILL work !...lol

....just keep sharping them !!!

i thought prismacolor was the brand name, it says prismacolor and then torquiose. BTW, wth does "chem sealed" mean?

up where the label is on ur pix is the hardness of the lead (i.e 2H, or 2B or whatever), that tells you how dark the BLACKNESS of the lead is,

chem sealed ?...who the f knows or cares it's a DAMN PENCIL !!!...?

You dont even wanna see mine !! :

<===============III

...they are about THAT big after I wear them down...LOL !!

BTW, I use KITCHEN pencils and a 8th grade plastic pencil sharpener & eraser (dont use that much tho, cept to erase the smears from the pencils or shade areas of a drawing, I use the pencil eraser for that purpose and sometimes file it off on angle to geta point so its like drawing witha white pencil ! ), ......those KITCHEN pencils ARE actually the absoulte BEST, ...you know the free ones your Mom has in the kitchen...LMAO !.

It is true tho [as long as you control the pressure applied you can vary the line quaility with sharpening or sanding off the point without need for different pencils( ala prismas)...but it takes a alot of practice to adjust your pencil pressure to get variable thickness and dark or light

Otherwise it is alot easier to just buy various thickness and hardness sets, but then you have to rember to switch off pencils thruout your drawing, one pencil will not work at all then. depends how you want to draw tho, I draw very fast so i use one pencil I can shape as I need, also use a Nail file sometines to get an angled edge on the lead tip,...but if you do slow technical drawing you will need various pencils of thickness and hardness to delineate specific elements of your drawing.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Yes, I too usualy use 0.5mm mechancal pencils myself but recently

I dug up a bunch of crap left over from my days in College as a

graphic design major and have been using those.

What exactly are the things you're looking for in art supplies?

i'm a 0.7 mm mechanical guy lol... i used to use just regular pencils i found layin around... but ive found a mechanical pencil works alot better... never really hafta worry about goin to sharpen it to do more details... its always ready to get intricate and whatever... if i need to make a line darker or thicker... i just press harder or go over it a few times... but then again yur lookin for a colored graphite pencil so i guess none of this helps haha... from that picture it looks like prismacolor is the brand name but turquoise is like the name of that particular line of pencils... i dont know why some pencil manufacturers do that but whatever lol...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook