Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM Heritage Center

whoa-whoa-WHOA! Are all these the property of GM, or 'on loan'? That's a much bigger collection that I expected- very nice. Sigh- wish I could get up there again...

Any word on XP-75 yet??

The LeSabre 'threw' me for a long time, until I saw enough pictures of it with people to learn it's true scale. It wears the lines of a much larger car, not something more akin to a Corvette.

Edited by balthazar

whoa-whoa-WHOA! Are all these the property of GM, or 'on loan'? That's a much bigger collection that I expected- very nice. Sigh- wish I could get up there again...

Any word on XP-75 yet??

The LeSabre 'threw' me for a long time, until I saw enough pictures of it with people to learn it's true scale. It wears the lines of a much larger car, not something more akin to a Corvette.

I have not seen XP-75, I have been told it has a private owner...

Almost every car here is owned by GM.

The LeSabre up close is like an M.C. Escher drawing, really, like a puzzle.

It seems 3 feet high, 10 wide, at least 25 long.

The image event home page reveals some cool Camaro unveiling pics

from Texas as well

Edited by mightymouse

*gasps*

I saw a 4th gen MC SS in there!!!! Woo hoo!

Thanks for sharing, mightymouse.

Holy cow ... I HAVE to get in to see this place someday.... I'd be in heaven, judging from all of the older cars in there.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'" ... Mark Wills ... '19 something'

Pfft, Millionth 1977 Oldsmobile; who cares?! Mine's way lower; number 4,714, to be exact! Snag me that hood ornament next time you're there; mine's missing the black inserts! :lol:

But seriously, what a collection. It's amazing what GM's held onto over all these years. The Oldsmobile Aerotech really threw me for a loop; I haven't even thought about that car in at least a decade. Very cool.

Mighty....you must have been at the 5th Gen Camaro preview.......because I have many pictures from that as well as does Chris Pauwels.

They should open this up to the public. It would give the Walter P.Chrysler Museum a run for it's money. These pictures just make me want to go there even more. Hey it says Chevy Enthusiasts. What about owners? We have a Tahoe. Does that work? LOL. I am jealous now. I love car museums.

sorry for bein stupid... but what lesabre are you guys talkin about?

They should open this up to the public. It would give the Walter P.Chrysler Museum a run for it's money. These pictures just make me want to go there even more. Hey it says Chevy Enthusiasts. What about owners? We have a Tahoe. Does that work? LOL. I am jealous now. I love car museums.

Good point. I'm trying to fix this problem....

oh man... Corvette Mako... *drools*

So how do you get in this building?

You're local- maybe next time they have a open house you can go with me.

It's off of Mound rd. about 15 1/2 mile...they will have a few openhouse/carshows

outside and in ----this summer. I will let you know when they schedule them.

I really am trying different ways to get them to consider a public format.

Extra money is good, right?

It's a long drive but you're welcome too.

Whenever I go I can take up to 4 guests.

Grrr...I mentioned a visit first in this thread ... he he he ;). Ssssooo...hope I can come with you, too, when I'm in Michigan again!

OK, I'm adding this to my life list - right under seeing the Woodward cruise.

Ohhh....you haven't been to the Woodward Cruise yet? Oh my ... yes, I'd say that needs to be on your list first ;). I was there a couple years ago ... and loved it!!!! The First Gen MC Club had its Eastern Meet at Woodward that year.

"Everybody's looking for something" ... Eurythmics ... 'Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)'

OK, I'm adding this to my life list - right under seeing the Woodward cruise.

Thanks for the invite, I hope I can take you up on it.

The project you shared deserves alot of credit... Woodward is not out of

reach for anybody.....I have been there every year, and rent a parking space

next to the cemetary at 12mile & Woodward for $50...We BBQ, we rate the cars

with numbers 0-10...you should see their faces when they get a 3!

It' a blast, and there are lots of tricks to get around. They best part is the

week before the cruise, it is beyond comprehension.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mightymouse

well if GM employess can get access to it you should take more off these people then since i know some people deep in the heart of the General. Can you tell me the dates then ill tell them to get the pass or whatever. thanks

• 1 month later...

How the heck did I miss this post???

Another great thread MM. This would be like my personal Mecca.

-----------

THE best looking post WWII concept car. Period.

http://imageevent.com/face440/gmheritagece...l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

-----------

Like the Mustang? Well if it had not been for THIS car the

Thunderbird II project would ahve never happened, the

V4 Mustang concept would have never existed and the

1964.5 Mustang would not exist, production or otherwise.

http://imageevent.com/face440/gmheritagece...l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

---------

Balthazar: I agree the LeSabre looks as if it was 230 inches long.

Next to the Y-Job it looks downright diminutive. Hard to beleive

that Mr. Earl had a manufacturer's plate on it and used it as a

daily driver for more miles than some one owner Mercedes.

• 3 weeks later...

MightyMouse, could you tell me when the open houses are as well. It would be worth the 4 hour drive.

152540[/snapback]

Well the open house registration opened on friday, for those who weren't

quik, try to register this Monday. My reg. was confirmed Soooo I will see you there

and maybe Knightfan

Aug 17 2006 Heritage Center Open House

It starts @5pm - 8pm

Only the first 350 employees can bring 4 guests each

Well the open house registration opened on friday, for those who weren't

quik, try to register this Monday. My reg. was confirmed Soooo I will see you there

and maybe Knightfan

Aug 17 2006 Heritage Center Open House

It starts @5pm - 8pm

Only  the first 350 employees can bring 4 guests each

Oh man ... I'd LOVE to attend this, but alas, I'll already be home by Aug 17. This is where few vacation days hurt ya....dangumit.

I take it that the HC isn't open, except for the specified Open Houses?

"Wouldn't that be something?" ... Finger 11 ... '1 Thing'

I am looking forward to going. If it starts at 5 we may be a little late depending on when we leave the hotel. If there are any roads to avoid to get there from Auburn Hills could you let me know or does most traffic go the other way?

Edited by american_revolution_2005

well for lunch today I told my buddy about it so we go to this place (he works for GM). We went up top the door but it said by appoinment only. so we think theres another door and we drive around back and theres some guy spray painting parts and we ask him about it and he said there was a door bell. We went back and rung the door bell. some guy opens the door looking confused. and we tell him about reservations for an open house he asked for his GM badge and he said the name and asked how many guest and left back inside. he didnt even write the guys name down and blocked the door like somthing important was in there. So I hope the guy remembers to put the name down. Also I hope he could remember the spelling since his name spelled wierd.

What else goes on in that building? since its hidden in that industrial drive. I would have never found that if you havent said anything about it.

So heres to hoping the guy didnt stiff us. and Im able to go with my buddies on the 17.

well for lunch today I told my buddy about it so we go to this place (he works for GM). We went up top the door but it said by appoinment only. so we think theres another door and we drive around back and theres some guy spray painting parts and we ask him about it and he said there was a door bell. We went back and rung the door bell. some guy opens the door looking confused. and we tell him about reservations for an open house he asked for his GM badge and he said the name and asked how many guest and left back inside. he didnt even write the guys name down and blocked the door like somthing important was in there. So I hope the guy remembers to put the name down. Also I hope he could remember the spelling since his name spelled wierd.

What else goes on in that building? since its hidden in that industrial drive. I would have never found that if you havent said anything about it.

So heres to hoping the guy didnt stiff us. and Im able to go with my buddies on the 17.

177055[/snapback]

there is a link under Socrates...on the United States home page-

for registration. You sign up electronically....

it is by appointment only, and special events... they also restore and maintain lots

of cars, and there is an extensive library of documentation.

• 3 weeks later...

Any word on XP-75 yet??

151901[/snapback]

You should check your mail soon B....

anyway, here are some more recent pics -I went during the week of the cruise to an open house I volunteered there and maybe we'll get some cool behind the scenes type photos here is a Caprice classic with a V-12 F.I. production style

one- off unit very special it was hiding in back

Posted Image

Posted Image

200 mph 4 cylinders test beds.....

Posted Image

This is one of my favorites

Posted Image

Posted Image

This wildcat reminds me of a cyborg, part mammal, part car, it looks like the car grew around the drivetrain

Posted Image

a little spyder action... this is the one with the much discussed silver and gold

logo ...

Posted Image

Buicks are timeless

Edited by mightymouse

My favourite car there was probably that Caprice V12. Thanks for pointing it out. That SSR clay model was also interesting. The Mako Shark and LeSabre were absolutely stunning. I have had a model of the Mako Shark since I was 5 and I never thought I would see it in person. There were also cars that were a little odd to me. They were in mint cond. but there was a Pontiac 6000, Cadillac Cimarron, Buick Roadmaster Wagon, and a Cutlass I believe it was. It was a little Oldsmobile. I had never seen a mint cond. Pont. 6000 in my life. My grandparents had one but when the two tone started fading on the cladding, my grandpa decided to spraypaint it to hide that. He denied it but we all knew it was spraypainted because when we went over later that day the car was dripping baby blue paint on the driveway. The two tone was dark blue and a light blue on the cladding. Boy it was aweful.

My favourite car there was probably that Caprice V12. Thanks for pointing it out. That SSR clay model was also interesting. The Mako Shark and LeSabre were absolutely stunning. I have had a model of the Mako Shark since I was 5 and I never thought I would see it in person. There were also cars that were a little odd to me. They were in mint cond. but there was a Pontiac 6000, Cadillac Cimarron, Buick Roadmaster Wagon, and a Cutlass I believe it was. It was a little Oldsmobile. I had never seen a mint cond. Pont. 6000 in my life. My grandparents had one but when the two tone started fading on the cladding, my grandpa decided to spraypaint it to hide that. He denied it but we all knew it was spraypainted because when we went over later that day the car was dripping baby blue paint on the driveway. The two tone was dark blue and a light blue on the cladding. Boy it was aweful.

185599[/snapback]

I am glad you could make it...I talked to the manager at the H.C. and showed him some mistakes and mislabeled concepts....He asked me to help out at special events as a floorwalker, so I will find out alot more about just what goes on there.