1983 Ford Crown Victoria comparison vs Chevrolet Caprice

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

After the Chevys, my favorite B Body would be Oldsmobile. The Delta 88/98 sedan and coupe.  Especially those from 1984 and 1985. 

1984 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1241191

1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1363103

Cadillac's versions are held to a different standard for me therefore I dont include them in these kinds of lists. 

Drew stating that Ford built a better full size makes me respect the Ford a lot more as GM's B Body was built like a tank.  Therefore Ford's Panther must be built like a fortress...    

Hey, Im not surprised by Drew's statement, its just that when it comes to GM's B Body of the late '70s to mid '90s, in my mind, is just one of the world's greatest cars ever built.  And me being a GM guy (for the most part), its hard for me to fathom a platform better that these, especially a platform from Ford, even though I like Ford and I own a Ford product now...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

After the Chevys, my favorite B Body would be Oldsmobile. The Delta 88/98 sedan and coupe.  Especially those from 1984 and 1985. 

1984 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1241191

1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1363103

Cadillac's versions are held to a different standard for me therefore I dont include them in these kinds of lists. 

Drew stating that Ford built a better full size makes me respect the Ford a lot more as GM's B Body was built like a tank.  Therefore Ford's Panther must be built like a fortress...    

Hey, Im not surprised by Drew's statement, its just that when it comes to GM's B Body of the late '70s to mid '90s, in my mind, is just one of the world's greatest cars ever built.  And me being a GM guy (for the most part), its hard for me to fathom a platform better that these, especially a platform from Ford, even though I like Ford and I own a Ford product now...

Don't get me wrong, I will pick the B-bodies over the Panthers every day, but it would be more a labor of love than would be required with the Panthers.  None of the B-bodies getting available fuel injection was a travesty by GM. They should have just stuck a CFI unit on the top of the 305/307 and it could have been almost as good as the 302.

Just remember that the B-bodies, while they got visual updates, got precious few technology updates. As recently as 1990 the Caprice was still using components designed  to the standards of 1976. I'm talking things like interior trim, switchgear, and a good chunk of the engine components.  The Panthers and Fox bodies got regular interior updates, upgrades to their engines (starting with carbs but moving to fuel injection), and yes, like the B-Bodies, they were built like tanks... just tanks that got more than a visual refresh.

You all know my love for the 80-85 Seville, but I've also owned an '85 Continental (Fox body) and there is no way I could ever pretend the Seville was a better car. Not in Engine, not in interior, and not in durability.  Purchasing a Seville would be a labor of love.

• Agree 1