Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevy Considering A Chevelle Or Monte Carlo?

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

From GM Inside News.

I've been told and shown concepts for both a Chevelle and a Monte Carlo. They want to have a coupe mate for the Impala, though they don't expect that coupe to sell as well as Camaro (more in the 80,000 range). Both concepts share parts underneath the skin and have fairly similar interiors but very different sheet metal, as you'd expect with the nameplates.

The Monte design is very much drawn from a 1972 Monte Carlo. The nose isn't that long (as would be expected in a modern car), but it's good sized. It has a more modern Chevy grille - not the egg crate on the 1972, though they do incorporate some hints of one.

The Chevelle is primarily based off the 1967 model. You can see how well the Chevy bar would fit on that car. The Chevelle concept is a hatchback, though. It looks similar with the how it slopes toward the back but the whole rear window lifts up and the trunk is accessible from the rear bench. Those seats can also fold down.

Both have the same wheelbase as the future GTO but they will be more tame. The GTO is a V8 only model with plenty of ponies. The pix I've seen of it also indicate it will be a five seater, so Camaro and G6 coupes are likely to be the only 2+2s in the GM lineup that I can think of off the top of my head. The next G6 may eliminate the 2+2 feature to leave it as a Camaro distinctive.

Chevelle or Monte Carlo will have good power available at the top end but the bulk of the models sold would likely either be a smaller V8 or an updated version of the 3.9L V6 that should output 300hp. The SS would probably hang around 400 while the next gen GTO should be at 450-500 just like the 'Vette will be when GDI, VVT, and three valves are added to the current LS2. GM is deciding which they will go with. I lean toward the Chevelle. I think the name is highly respected now and Monte Carlo is worn out a bit. The current FWD iteration of it is okay but out of touch with its heritage. Chevelle is a highly sought after car nowadays and I've been told GM market research says the nameplate has a more positive vibe fromt he public and is likely to sell better, especially if based on the late 60s models (plenty of variety there). My guess is Monte Carlo will be gone after the 2008 model year because the Impala is slated for 2009 and may be introduced early. They want to get the new Impala to market not too long after Malibu because they believe the new Malibu will kill current Impala sales. They're fairly close in size, though Malibu is a bit smaller than the current Impala. The problem is that GM may not get the six-speed autos ready for the W-body with replacements coming. Malibu will have a six-speed standard at launch if Lutz has his way. He wants that base I4 to have a six-speed auto and believes that the cost difference between the old four-speed and the six will be small. They really want the Malibu to lead in standard features and in value, but they need to replace the Impala. Chances are the bulk of current Impalas built after the new Malibu hits will be sold very cheaply to rental companies. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if GM attempts to launch both the Malibu and the RWD Impala at the same time, though that's a hunch based on my own thoughts. I could really see GM launching Malibu, Impala/Chevelle, and Camaro all in the same year with a new Cobalt coming a year after.

I somehow doubt it...but, then again the Camaro wasn't suppose to be here. :AH-HA_wink:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting... I hope this pans out. I honestly believe Chevrolet can sell two RWD coupes, if they are pitched to different customers. It's intriguing that they're thinking of resurrecting the Chevelle name, although Chevelle's image, to me at least, is kinda close to Camaro. Monte Carlo could be more luxurious, a "gentleman's hot rod". I'm glad they're considering using cues from the less-baroque first-gen car. Chevelle means sporty, practical and versatile. The hatchback is a really kinky, brilliant idea. Camaro means affordable, sporty as a six cylinder, musclecar for four as a V8.

I kind of agree that Monte Carlo is a name that has become a little tired, meanwhile Chevelle is a name that really NEEDS to come back after the disappointments we've had with the Impala namesake and the Monte Carlo namesake coming back as FWD cars. And I really hope that the Chevelle comes in both two and four door variants.

just curious if they made a coupe malibu, would it be called anything else?

and will they keep the 'Bu SS w/ the 3.9L or switch to the 3.6L? hopefully w/ ~280hp

will the bu get the 2.4 or keep the 2.2, cause if they use the 2.4 w/ DI making ~190+hp along w/ the hybrid option would be great, and move the 3.5 up to ~230hp

If they build a Monte, gave it a V8 with RWD, offered it black with red pinstriping & the topped it off with T-tops, I'd be VERY VERY tempted... Call me doubly tempted if they even put REAL Monte Carlo badges on it!

I kind of agree that Monte Carlo is a name that has become a little tired, meanwhile Chevelle is a name that really NEEDS to come back after the disappointments we've had with the Impala namesake and the Monte Carlo namesake coming back as FWD cars.  And I really hope that the Chevelle comes in both two and four door variants.

Make a station wagon version too, ala Magnum style. I always thought Chevelle Wagons looked cool :idhitit:

Here we go wiht the "there's no market" B.S.

Let's see as of June 2006 here's the cars

there was technically "no market for"

according to the experts: 300C, Charger,

Magnum, Mustang, Corvette, Solstice, Sky,

convertibles in general, G6 RHT, Crown Vic,

Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car, CTS-V, &

a boatload of other niche cars that do not

belong in the 21st century.

If BMW can sell 3 coupes: 3 Series, Z4,

6-series as well as the BMW Z8, & Mercedes

can have a whole lineup of coupes & RWD

cars are back then I'm pretty sure a full size

luxury-coupe Monte Carlo and a compact &

sporty Camaro can coexist.

When it comes to ZETA the more the merrier.

The whole idea is to build a ton of product on

this platform and reach as much demographic

as possible to sell as many units as possible &

keep the RWD cars going round & round.

LIKE I'VE SAID BEFORE:

More good product = more sales

Less product, good or not =/= more sales

The Camaro will NOT be the exact car for

everyone and anyone who wants a Chevy

coupe. 49 year old ex-soccermoms who

want to dump their minivans and live the

life now that Junior and the cheerleader are

out of H.S. & collge will not be looking for a

firebreathing muscle car. hey will want a

21st century edition of a G-body coupe.

Droping the Monte Carlo would be a mistake in my eyes as some folks out there do still want a personal luxury coupe with a dash of sport. The current Monte could have been done much better than it was and it seems Chevy is slowly killing it off with less engine options and trim levels. Hopefully they keep the Monte Carlo name and pin it on a nice RWD coupe with retro cues, nice lines, some exterior trim, a chrome grille and a much better interior than the current car has. Also bring back swivel bucket seats and some interior colors like white, blue or maroon.

"Camaro and G6 coupes are likely to be the only 2+2s in the GM lineup that I can think of off the top of my head."

It would be a bitch to seat three comfortably in the back of a Cobalt coupe. Let alone the Aveo... Or does "2+2" mean there's something between the two seats in the back?

I don't like the Chevelle name for a new car, I'd rather stick with Monte Carlo.

The name Monte Carlo has history to it, AND it also has been around the last few years so we are used to it being a modern car.

The name Chevelle immediatly brings images of 30+ years ago. Personally I'm getting tired of the rush to make everything and name everything Retro. Keep it the Monte Carlo.

I also continue to not see the rush to make everying rear wheel drive.

Maybe other people are different, but in my immediate and even extended family, about half of the vehicles owned are mid to full sized cars like the Impala, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Camry, Accord, etc.

Right now just about all of them owned are FWD, not RWD. There are a couple of Monte Carlos in there. I know for a fact if the Monte Carlo was not offered in FWD anymore, that the family members that have them (my father included) would probably migrate over to a Camry Solara or an Accord coupe (but probably the Solara, it's bigger than the Accord and even the G6 coupe).

Auto enthusiasts want RWD, but I truly believe the 'non-car' guys and girls out there actually prefer FWD. There have been many advances in safety in RWD (traction controll, stability controll, etc) but a FWD car with those same features is still many times easier to drive in bad weather (talking about Buffalo NY winters here) than it's RWD counterpart.

If GM decided to convert many of it's FWD cars to RWD, I'm sure it will make the enthusiasts happy, but I fear they will lose more sales than they think.

It is my opinion that two things are limiting Chrysler LX sales: controversial styling and Chrysler's lingering (but fading) quality rep. Even with those "handicaps", they've done very well. GM has neither of those problems to worry about. I know this argument gets trotted out every time someone laments a return to RWD for GM's bigger affordable cars, but the market is proving it. GM will offer AWD for those who are scared.

FWIW, GM and other manufacturers are continuously coming up with all sorts of concepts. The VAST majority of them never see the light of day.

Sounds a lot like the Firebird sighting last winter, which is collecting dust as we speak.

GM will offer AWD for those who are scared.

'nough said. :)

Most of these wussys will be people who just shouldn't drive

in bad weatehr PERIOD.

I'm glad to see taht they are thinking of a Chevelle, it would be perfect to combat the Charger, even though it is a sedan. I guess that GM is finally thinking of how much they could use a Chevelle, Chevelles are sough after, and the new ones (if they make them) will be too. I sent in 2 diffirent designs to GM, and they said that they didn't want to use the first, but they never told me about the second one, and even more weird is that I sent in my last design, D6, right before they showed off the Camaro Concept, and I can see some similarites to the concept and my design that took me near 5 months to perfect. But still I did want them to use some of my ideas, and maybe they will further in a Chevelle, if they make one.

Guest Joshiepoo

My sources say we'll get a Chevelle and Monte Carlo and 80,000 would be a goodmonthly sales estimate. You heard it here first. :wink:

Guest Joshiepoo

This information just came from my sources, it just went down a few minutes ago. The Chevelle and Monte Carlo have been shelved, the Chevy Zeta coupe will be called Beretta. You can take that to the bank.

This information just came from my sources, it just went down a few minutes ago.  The Chevelle and Monte Carlo have been shelved, the Chevy Zeta coupe will be called Beretta.  You can take that to the bank.

i actually wouldnt mind them bringing back the Beretta name.. but please god dont let them bring back the Corsica nameplate!!!! the Corsica was one of the WORST products GM has ever made.. I know because i used to own one.. it had 90,000 miles on it and the thing was falling apart at the seams.. hard to belive that the same assembly plant now builds the Solstice and Sky..

this car was so bad, that i think for the last 3 years they produced it they probably sold half of the production to Alamo, National and Enterprise..

Edited by cavalier36

My source pretty much had this to say, he hasn't heard anything about a Chevelle or Monte Carlo, and the GTOs are only in scale form at this point. There certanly could be some concept work being done that he hasn't seen yet, possably in Cali. The rest of this speculation is reasonable, but has more detail than he would expect anyone not directly involved with a project to have at this point, he figures that it is educated guess work at this point.

Edited by BuddyP

I would love to see a new Chevelle... And especially one based on the late 60's car... BUT, what I would like to see more is a new GTO based on late 60's goats...

I say, make Camaro & GTO top priority... Then if there is a market, G6 convertible and Chevelle.

As for a Malibu coupe.... I'd vote to call it Nova maybe

RWD is good... BUT, GM needs to attack BOTH markets. Instead of making a Buick, Pontiac and Chevrolet all on Epsilon and all with the same craptastic qualities. Why not use your resources effectively to attack BOTH markets leveraging ALL of your divisions/dealers.

If Chevy gets a Chevelle, it can have modern interpretations on old cues, but the Camaro should be as retro as it gets, the Chevelle/MC should be for the most part modern design, IMO. If they were both retro some would buy the Camaro and some would buy the Chevelle; there wouldn't be a whole lot extra sales if both were retro.

I love coupes, but I think that the Chevy division might be trying to get a car in every person's garage (not a bad idea, but when you fill your niche, like the Subaru Baja, sales stop). If the Chevelle was ONLY a two seater and the Monte stayed FWD (I know many out there would not like that) then they might be able to swing them both with a Camaro and still have decent sales.

A bigger question I have is whether they WILL equip the likes of the 'Pala with AWD when it switches to rear wheel. If they want to retain sales I would think that is a must. Indiana winters aren't the most pleasant let alone those in Buffalo and other spots where you guys are from.

There's no reason three coupes couldn't work. The Camaro is a smaller pony car for those who need four seat but would rather have two. The Chevelle is more of a mid-sized muscle car with power and convenience in equal doses. The Monte Carlo is more of a gentleman's muscle car, with more emphasis on luxury than power. Think 1960's Mercury Cougar but larger.

Either way, it looks like more positive steps are being taken to end this FWD scourge. :thumbsup:

That sure would take some clever marketing and open minded consumers in order to slice the RWD, coupe market, into such thin, distinct slivers.

Ain't gonna happen.

That sure would take some clever marketing and open minded consumers in order to slice the RWD, coupe market, into such thin, distinct slivers.

Ain't gonna happen.

Which is literally the way Chevy sliced up the coupe market in 1970 (plus the Impala and Caprice coupes).. I couldn't see it working today..the coupe market is much smaller than it was then.

Edited by moltar

Which is literally the way they sliced up the midsize coupe market in 1970..  I couldn't see it working today..the coupe market is much smaller than it was then.

Not even close. Even if you assume that Chevy gets 3 RWD coupes, Pontiac gets 1 or 2, and Caddy gets 1 or 2, that would only be 5 coupes corporation-wide(US). In 1970, Chevrolet alone had more than that.

Not even close. Even if you assume that Chevy gets 3 RWD coupes, Pontiac gets 1 or 2, and Caddy gets 1 or 2, that would only be 5 coupes corporation-wide(US). In 1970, Chevrolet alone had more than that.

My point was in '70, Chevy had the Camaro, Chevelle and Monte Carlo coupe. I don't think the market is big enough to support 3 Chevy coupes today.

Chevrolet needs nothing more than the Camaro. The Camaro will surely be no more than 12 inches shorter than the Impala sedan will be. Compared to 1970, the big sedans are much smaller, and the ponycars are the same size or slightly bigger. There's no need for both the Camaro and a slightly longer Chevelle and Monte Carlo.

I think the people who want more room in there car would buy the chevelle and they wouldn't buy a small camaro any way so it wouldn't have much of an impact on camaro sales.

Coupe market is dead and has been for some time. There is not enough volume to justify a heavy product mix towards rwd coupes at GM.

GM just in the last few days axed the NG mid sized ute program.

It is not wise for a company to spend resourse on a small market when there is limited volume and profits.

All the coupes available lately at an affordable price point have been FWD cardboard cutouts of what came before... except for Mustang, which has had its sales constrained by production problems. People want authenticity. Camaro, Chevelle/Monte Carlo, GTO and Velite will sustain themselves because they are real, if you will.