Post your posse

Not all in one frame, but all on the mud farm this afternoon.   The Jeep, my Dad's '69 Mustang I inherited and my '87 Mustang GT.  Hope to get the Mustangs back on the road later this year after sitting for a long time.  

I have a lot of work ahead of me in this mess I've inherited... also an old Ford tractor outside the barn.   I have a dozen cars/trucks/SUVs and 8 motorcycles that belonged to my brother that I need get titled, registered and sold eventually.  Have to find keys for them first...

IMG-6663.jpg

IMG-6728.jpg

IMG-6730.jpg

IMG-6735.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I feel like I missed a couple episodes somewhere...

Yes you did and I think they were posted in the Random channel if memory serves me correct as Roberts brother died and he is cleaning up the family farm. @Robert Hall can better update you.

I want to get my posse of auto's but with the constant rain and they need a bath, they are sitting in the Garage. :P 

• Agree 1

@Robert Hall Very cool pics of the auto's on your farm, look forward to seeing more. Guess you have your own Barn Finds! ;) 

Amazing how good your dads 69 Mustang looks, was it also in the barn covered like your GT?

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm sorry to hear that @Robert Hall. And I'm sorry I wasn't around to be aware of it.

Thanks, I had posted in the thread below with a rather cryptic title..my sister and I have a lot of work ahead of us.  The farm is 90 miles south of where I live outside Cleveland, it's been neglected for a long time and he tried his darnedest to destroy our parents' 1859 home.  The property has been in the family since 1968.

Knowing we would have to deal with him and the property sooner or later is part of why I moved from Arizona back to Ohio in 2017.  Alas, I was only able to visit once after our Mom died in 2016, and one of his feral dogs bit me and he chased me off...being that he had 45 guns and was mentally ill, I didn't feel safe visiting my own family property while he was alive.  My sister and I had restraining orders against him the last 4 years, he spent time in and out of jail and a mental hospital, didn't do any good.  Too. Much. Drama.   You can't choose your family, unfortunately.

We've been working on the weekends at cleaning up the house, trimming tree branches, looking for family heirlooms, etc.   I've made a spreadsheet of his 12 cars and 8 motorcycles, been trying to find keys and any paperwork...because he was schitzophrenic, nothing was particularly organized.   2 Ford Ranger pickups, 2 Ford Explorers, a Bronco II, 2 Fox body Mustangs ('79 Indy Pace Car, '82 GT),  2 '68 Mercury Cougars, a '69 Ford Fairlane,  an '01 BMW 740iL, a couple BMW motorcycles, a couple Honda motorcycles, a couple Yamahas, a couple Kawasakis.  

10 minutes ago, David said:

@Robert Hall Very cool pics of the auto's on your farm, look forward to seeing more. Guess you have your own Barn Finds! ;) 

Amazing how good your dads 69 Mustang looks, was it also in the barn covered like your GT?

It was in the barn until a few years ago, when my idiot brother dragged it out w/ the tractor and parked it blocking the driveway.  The left side is in mud almost up to the rockers.   I put a new car cover on it yesterday.   My Dad bought that car new, 351 Windsor 4bbl, automatic.  My sister learned to drive in it.  She wants to restore it, has a lot of family sentimental value.  I last drove it maybe 30 years ago.  In the 80s, my Dad and I restored it--replaced the rusted out floorpans, rockers, doors, rear quarters, had the shock towers rebuilt and welded up (a common rust out area in Mustangs).  It has a little over 100k miles.

In contrast, the photo below is how the property looked 32 years ago.  The white '69 Mustang is now sitting to the left of where the '87 is in this photo.

redandgraystangs-vi.jpg.63f62919f727a4c729b24c7eb5d36110-2.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

*perks up at the Motorcycles*

Next trip I want to take more pics and figure out *what* is there…took a few pics yesterday.   I know at least one is a Kawasaki XS1100, he was always talking about it.  Doing queries on the Ohio BMW website to get more info.

DA5F431C-EB45-460B-9D46-C939C9DFC306.jpeg

8C15237F-E1B6-43B0-A009-2D3F1AD24101.jpeg

3645C41F-1BC5-49D4-A470-6C5F4E771C00.jpeg

9E92A4E7-08E0-4C6D-A647-A6E24F042B7C.jpeg

3795F832-4AF9-4AC3-8C80-58B2AEEDAD82.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That BMW is a 1998 or 1999. 1997 or 1998

I'm assuming some of this stuff is getting sold... so maybe. 

In time, yes. Through my efforts with the Ohio BMV website I now have the VINs for everything except two Cougars that were probably in my Mom’s name and not registered in years.  I have a spreadsheet I’m filling out, a project plan and a set of tasks….per the BMV, the red BMW is a 1999 1100RS.  There is also a 2004 BMW R1150RT.  The BMW sedan is a black 2000 740iL like in the movie ‘The Transporter’..

The newest bike is a 2015 Triumph Scrambler.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

WoW!!!

You have inherited some nice things!    Hopefully all your nice rides are in more or less in good shape so you can get them up and running in a relative short time!

I am not a particular huge fan of those '80s fox body 'Stangs, they do bring a certain pleasant nostalgia to me though. I have fondness for them regardless how I felt about them growing up.   And yours  looks sweeeeeeeeeet after all those years (neglected?) from what I see in the photo. 

What has me excited to see what you have inherited:

1. The farm itself. The land its on.  Its ALL great!

2. '69 Mustang

3. the 2 Cougars

4. your Mustang 

5. the Ford tractor.  Im assuming its probably got soooooo much family history that it rivals some of the more traditional personal heirlooms that you may have in the house. 

6. the Triumph motorcycle. 

Thanx for sharing!

• Agree 1

It’s a lot of work.  Been down there three times this week, @180 miles+ per trip.  The mud setting, 4 wheel low and hill descent control in the JGC have been invaluable for getting in and out.   Once the mud dries up later in the Spring, I’m going to get the neighbor with the old International Loadstar dump truck to put down fresh gravel on the 3/4 mile driveway (as he has done for the last 45 years).  He was a close friend and good neighbor to my folks.

The biggest problem with my brother’s vehicles is finding keys to any of them.  I found the keys to the ‘82 Mustang GT.  Alas, I can’t get either it or my ‘87 GT out as they are blocked in by vehicles that are locked or unlocked and without keys.  It was a mistake of my shopping my Mustang back there 20 years ago, but at the time I was living in a condo in Denver with one covered parking space.   I last drove it in 2013 when visiting when my Mom was still alive, the farm was still in pretty good shape.  Alas, it all went downhill after that…

I don’t know anything about the Ford tractor, IIRC my brother bought that about 15 years ago.  My Dad had a bigger John Deere tractor he bought around 1969 after he bought the farm. My Mom sold it in the early ‘00s after my Dad passed in 1999. 

I’m about the same age now that my Dad was when he bought the farm in 1968.  He lived there over 30 years and it was a labor of love fixing up the old buildings, working on cars and wood projects, tending orchards, growing grapes and making wine, beekeeping, fishing in the two large ponds.  Alas, it’s fallen into disrepair the last 20 years as my brother was a lazy sponger. 

Edited by Robert Hall

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It’s a lot of work.

I bet.   I understand wholly. 

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Been down there three times this week, @180 miles+ per trip

Exactly...  And nothing is in order. No paperwork...    A big headache to sort everything out.  I can imagine. 

Im assuming your sister and yourself are getting along fine together trying to figure everything out.

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The mud setting, 4 wheel low and hill descent control in the JGC have been invaluable for getting in and out.

I hate SUVs. But situations like this is where these things were meant for.  So hearing stories like yours makes me hate them just a tad less...   :) 

20 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Once the mud dries up later in the Spring, I’m going to get the neighbor with the old International Loadstar dump truck to put down fresh gravel on the 3/4 mile driveway (as has done for the last 45 years).  

I hate Spring for exactly that reason: MUD 

Why I applaud the melting of the snow and thawing out, I hate the muddy result making the first couple of weeks of Spring my least favorite time of the year.  From the 2nd week of January to at least mid April, Im miserable deep inside.   

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The biggest problem with my brother’s vehicles is finding keys to any of them.  I found the keys to the ‘82 Mustang GT.  Alas, I can’t get either it or my ‘87 GT out as they are blocked in by vehicles that are locked or unlocked and without keys.  

If not found, a locksmith might be a solution?   I know...I know...   Unnecessary expenditures and time lost.

May I suggest a...suggestion? 

Grand Theft Easy | THE FILM YAP

These Things Happen In Every Action Movie, And It's Annoying! (2 pics + 18  gifs) - Izismile.com

• Agree 1

Mud mud mud and more mud.  The driveway runs parallel to a creek with a few crossings of other creeks for 3/4 mile from the barn out to a county road.  This photo doesn’t show how steep the hill is down to the barn.  The photos flatten things out, but where the Jeep is parked is about 1/2 way up a steep hill from the barn to the house and upper garage.  Can't go up the old driveway to there as it's a muddy, marshy mess and the '69 Mustang is blocking the driveway. Barn hadn’t been painted in at least 25 years.  Jeep parked on the hill, house is up and to the left.  There is an Explorer in the red garage up the hill.   Was out attacking trees with my chainsaw today.  The trees haven’t been trimmed since my Dad passed in 1999. 

6A442CFA-FA92-406F-9F95-557B72249968.jpeg

C141A969-9E51-4C59-B8BE-15A782F15FAD.jpeg

6D914E49-65F4-460B-9E0B-B3977FF50E42.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I bet.   I understand wholly. 

Exactly...  And nothing is in order. No paperwork...    A big headache to sort everything out.  I can imagine. 

Im assuming your sister and yourself are getting along fine together trying to figure everything out.

I hate SUVs. But situations like this is where these things were meant for.  So hearing stories like yours makes me hate them just a tad less...   :) 

I've put together a spreadsheet w/ all the info I've found...have all the VINs and license plate numbers and some registrations.  Interesting how the pre-1981 cars and bikes have shorter VINs and less info available from the BMV.   Definitely going to need a locksmith eventually.    Will be working w/ my lawyer to transfer everything legally considering my brother had no will. 

My sister and I get along great.  Her Trax wouldn't be very good in the mud and is very tiny inside, so we have to use the Jeep.  Really wish I had a pickup for hauling dirty stuff.    After owning and driving SUVs for almost 30 years, I love 'em, esp. JGCs.  Comfortable and practical. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy Spring Equinox everyone, first official day of spring and we are still getting lovely snow in the moutains. Ski season is till May 1st, hopefully longer if there is enough snow which seems to be.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Post pics of your rides, but try and get them all in one frame!

Great pic of your family, Drew.

Ha ... my current 2 haven't even "met" yet.

I bought my current daily 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS October 2016.

My other car, my 1981 Monte Carlo SC (the surviving member of my former MC family) has been at my friends' place near Effingham IL since 2013.

Cort, pig and cow valves with pacemaker
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"I wanna drive" | Trace Adkins | '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

3 minutes ago, knightfan26917 said:

Great pic of your family, Drew.

Ha ... my current 2 haven't even "met" yet.

I bought my current daily 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS October 2016.

My other car, my 1981 Monte Carlo SC (the surviving member of my former MC family) has been at my friends' place near Effingham IL since 2013.

"I wanna drive" | Trace Adkins | '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

Welcome back!

Post them both or go out for a visit!

Thank you, Drew!

Well, here are a couple photos. As for the visit, I plan to ... just need to figure out what to do with the 2003 MGM LS 1st before I can road trip. *rolls eyes*

"You might miss what you left behind" | Dierks Bentley | 'Slow Down'

__2003mercuryGrandMarquisLS_20210719-20_detailByMe_overview.jpg

81mc_AVplate_front.jpg

5 minutes ago, knightfan26917 said:

Thank you, Drew!

Well, here are a couple photos. As for the visit, I plan to ... just need to figure out what to do with the 2003 MGM LS 1st before I can road trip. *rolls eyes*

"You might miss what you left behind" | Dierks Bentley | 'Slow Down'

__2003mercuryGrandMarquisLS_20210719-20_detailByMe_overview.jpg

81mc_AVplate_front.jpg

Is it that far away from you that it counts as a road trip?

• 6 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 4:03 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Is it that far away from you that it counts as a road trip?

Sorta yes, sorta no LOL.

But, they have met now. Posting a new topic with more details shortly.

"I shiver when I see the falling snow" | Merle Haggard | 'If We Make It Through December'

20221105to06_overnight_FBpost_OCSH_20221026to1029_EffinghamDieterichIL_JBjohnson_p2_5_10282022_progressCanopyGarage.jpg

• Like 1