Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Honda recalls 500,000+ vehicles

TOKYO — Japan's Honda Motor Co. said on Wednesday it would recall and repair a combined 561,594 units of the Odyssey, CR-V and Step Wgn models globally to fix a faulty ignition switch that could cause the engine to stop.

The recall and repairs would cost the company around 2.73 billion yen ($23.70 million), a spokeswoman said.

Of the total, 483,185 units are in Japan and were built between October 1994 and May 1997, Honda said in a filing with Japan's transport ministry.

Most of the recalls outside Japan cover the Odyssey minivan sold in North America. No accidents were reported overseas, while five people in Japan suffered burns from contact with melted ignition switches.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,199438,00.html

Blah blah blah, not in the media, bias,  blah blah blah wont even bother looking at major media outlets blah blah blah

Only a little over 10% of this recall effects North America (with an even smaller percentage effecting the U.S. as I'm sure some of the cases in North America are from Canada as well).

So that leaves 60-80 thousand Odyssey's with possible faulty ignition switches in the U.S. Does the article say how many actual reported problems there were? Were there any?

I don't even remember the last time I saw a recall notice on a news program or other media program on TV for any make. When you say it's "not in the media", well doesn't fox news count? I've never seen GM recall coverage be any more than Toyota/Honda etc, it might have been in the past though. It might mean the media holds (or held at one point) GM to a higher standard than other makes. So a problem will get more coverage because it's a bigger deal. A GM shouldn't have any recalls because it's made in America and perfect. When was the last time a Kia recall got any media attention? :scratchchin:

When GM recalls stop getting attention won't that put them on the same level as Kia? Just a thought.

They should put a readout on the dash that says:

Fuel consumption was too high- engine has been disabled to save fuel.

Better yet... Active Fuel Management... currently working on 0 of 6 cylinders. ECONO MODE

Only a little over 10% of this recall effects North America (with an even smaller percentage effecting the U.S. as I'm sure some of the cases in North America are from Canada as well).

So that leaves 60-80 thousand Odyssey's with possible faulty ignition switches in the U.S. Does the article say how many actual reported problems there were? Were there any?

I don't even remember the last time I saw a recall notice on a news program or other media program on TV for any make. When you say it's "not in the media", well doesn't fox news count? I've never seen GM recall coverage be any more than Toyota/Honda etc, it might have been in the past though. It might mean the media holds (or held at one point) GM to a higher standard than other makes. So a problem will get more coverage because it's a bigger deal. A GM shouldn't have any recalls because it's made in America and perfect. When was the last time a Kia recall got any media attention?  :scratchchin:

When GM recalls stop getting attention won't that put them on the same level as Kia? Just a thought.

They actually really played this up on talk radio in Toronto. They said there were 7 cases in Canada of people getting burns from the faulty ignition sauter getting on their feet or legs. The announcer then followed that up with a very awkward "Yikes!". It was kind of overacted I thought. Not usually the treatment that Japanese recalls get in the news.

siegen= I've never seen GM recall coverage be any more than Toyota/Honda etc, it might have been in the past though.

You weren't around for it; it was murder for decades.

It might mean the media holds (or held at one point) GM to a higher standard than other makes. So a problem will get more coverage because it's a bigger deal.

If this was the case, surely the media undoubtedly holds toyo-onda to a higher standard now- you cannot even begin to deny that. Let's see the scale tipped the other way, you know; to support your theory.

LOL.

No.

I just saw that this was only 1994 to 1997 Odyssey's. And 1994 was the first year for the Odyssey, surprised they would even recall such an old vehicle.

From here.

Of the total, a combined 78,409 vehicles were exported abroad, including the United States, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Thailand and European countries, Kimoto said.

So even less than I original thought made it here.

Edited by siegen

Your wish is granted my once proud EX-admin...

DIDN'T SEE THIS IN THE MEDIA!!!!!!!!!! WHERE IS THE COVERAGE FROM THE MEDIA!!!!!! IT'S BIAS I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!

Fox News

Want more, look them up yourself. Just because it doesn't show up on your local news or in huge print on page 1 of whatever your local paper is, or get talked about all day on CNN or MSNBC or FOX so you will catch it in the three minutes you watch, doesn't mean its not in the media. Only huge recalls (millions upon millions) or ones that pose an immediate danger are the ones that get talked about on most news casts. The other ones, the smaller ones, may get a blurb just before a commercial break or a note in the scrolly thingy at the bottom of the screen, but for the most part there are far more important things that take up time on the news. Like Angelina Jolie.

This would include by proxy the Oasis? Man, when is the last time you've seen one of those?

Believe it or not, I saw one just a couple of days ago... but then again, it was the first one I've seen in years... and probably only the third I've ever seen in my entire life.

Now that I think about it, they were essentially the same thing as the PT & HHR... tall station wagons... just much much less exciting to look at.

Guys, don't you realize if the engine stops, it uses no fuel? Again, Honda leads the way in economy!

True! Just like those "Biodegradable Toyotas" I posted last year. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Rhetorical question:

Why do we celebrate competitors recalls and get so pissed when Gm's dirty laundry gets aired?

It really sounds like sour grapes....so F'in' what that half a million Honda's got recalls.Wow, Newflash...Honda's made by humans too!

Trashing others doesn't help support the theory that GM builds as good or better product. It only serves to underline that we're trying to drag them into the gutter with GM...and why would you want that?

Edited by enzl

Rhetorical question:

Why do we celebrate competitors recalls and get so pissed when Gm's dirty laundry gets aired?

It really sounds like sour grapes....so F'in' what that half a million Honda's got recalls.Wow, Newflash...Honda's made by humans too!

Trashing others doesn't help support the theory that GM builds as good or better product. It only serves to underline that we're trying to drag them into the gutter with GM...and why would you want that?

I'm sure many here will tell you that GMs vehicles get trashed continually--even when there isn't a recall. Many Japanese makers "problems" or "issues" tend to get smoothed over with the press.

I'm sure many here will tell you that GMs vehicles get trashed continually--even when there isn't a recall.  Many Japanese makers "problems" or "issues" tend to get smoothed over with the press.

It's not effective as an argument....It's like a schoolchild's 'he hit me first' or 'they called me a bad name'.

BTW, it's a bed they made for themselves long ago...now they want redemption because they're 'back' making excellent product. It just doesn't work that way....Perception always lags reality.

Us pointing out these recalls just makes it look petty. IMO, of course.

Want evidence that its not just the 'press' that feels that way? Check out this article and survey in Detroit News, their hometown paper....

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../606280404/1148

Again, Honda leads the way in economy!

Hmmm....

Happened to see a commercial for the Honda Pilot (I believe) tonight that was boasting it as the most-fuel-efficient SUV at 17mpg city/22mpg highway.

If that's true, then my V8 '87 MC LS is more fuel efficient than Honda's SUV....

The last few times, city driving has garnered 18mpg at least ... and, on my recent trip to TN ... I was managing 24-25mpg....

Interesting indeedy.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I can’t take anymore" ... 3rd Eye Blind ... 'How's It Going To Be'

Happened to see a commercial for the Honda Pilot (I believe) tonight that was boasting it as the most-fuel-efficient SUV at 17mpg city/22mpg highway.

If that's true, then my V8 '87 MC LS is more fuel efficient than Honda's SUV....

The last few times, city driving has garnered 18mpg at least ... and, on my recent trip to TN ... I was managing 24-25mpg....

The 2WD version is rated to 18/24.

Why are you comparing your personal mileage in a 1987 car to the EPA estimates for a new SUV?

Rhetorical question:

one reason is if you ever hear people talking badly about a gm product it invariably comes back to its a POS, it was recalled for this that and the other thing.

what goes around comes around i guess.

personally, recalls are bad for everyone. i dont like to see them at all i dont care who they are from and ill tell you why.

if a car or truck has a problem and they are on the road, its now my problem too.

engine fires, faulty steering...i dont want to be diving behind that guy on the free way wondering if he checked his mail lately.

i dont want a neighbor stuck in their car with their wife and kids screaming.

recalls arent good for anyone.

and as weve seen they are happening to everyone. its not something to celebrate.

as far as mpg, get real. what does that have anything to do with anything. aside from a hybrid most tallies are somewhere between 1 and 3. whooopy woo. theres something to celebrate.

alternative fuels average 3-or 6 maybe even lower, but there are those thatd argue hey, its better than oil. really whats more important? i wonder sometimes.

Rhetorical question:

C'mon, you don't find Honda's new Really Active Fuel Management funny at all? :pbjtime:

C'mon, you don't find Honda's new Really Active Fuel Management funny at all?  :pbjtime:

That's funny, no doubt.

I'm just shocked that most of the posters don't see the deep irony in picking on other's recalls...just amazed. There's absolutely no room for critical self-analysis amongst some of the GM fanbase....Unfortunately, these are the people GM seems to be listening to...scary.

Enzl, I think if you review the thread, you'll find the vast majority of comments are purely humorous with no intrinsic analysis beyond that. Not critically picking on, just jokinging picking on.

This thread, absolutely...in general, however, the sheep love to cite these gaffes as an indicator that the Japanese are decaying and GM's got a 50% share around the corner....that's my only point...I find it interesting that people don't see the profound irony and illogic to these types of postings, as these are the same people crying Media Bias all the time....that's what's amusing to me!

Imagine that, on a GM fansite people poke fun at Toyota and Honda.

I suppose it would be more fun to do it on ToyotaNation.........?

We get bombarded with hyped, dramatised and exaggerated articles and news at every turn. It is a little refreshing to spend some time with people, who for the most part, are a little more informed than the average Joe and at least have some gleening of an idea that the media doesn't just print the unbridled truth, that media organizations do have axes to grind (New York Times, Toronto Star) and that next to politicians, news media in general are the most untrustworthy sources of information out there.

I don't think anyone here is laughing at Honda or Toyota's foibles, but somebody has to ensure that it gets proper attention.

Imagine that, on a GM fansite people poke fun at Toyota and Honda. 

I suppose it would be more fun to do it on ToyotaNation.........?

We get bombarded with hyped, dramatised and exaggerated articles and news at every turn.  It is a little refreshing to spend some time with people, who for the most part, are a little more informed than the average Joe and at least have some gleening of an idea that the media doesn't just print the unbridled truth, that media organizations do have axes to grind (New York Times, Toronto Star) and that next to politicians, news media in general are the most untrustworthy sources of information out there.

I don't think anyone here is laughing at Honda or Toyota's foibles, but somebody has to ensure that it gets proper attention.

As usual, my point has been missed.

Just stating that there's a deep irony that appears to be lost on others here. The negative press may very well be deserved and not as distorted as some here claim, but I've already mentioned that in other, more appropriate threads. Blaming others is a uniquely American answer to all problems....

Personally, I don't find any of the 'fan sites' interesting enough to stick around and read consistently. It's a tribute to C&G that it remains interesting to a non-fan....I just think the recall threads are tired & not really funny at their core, but that's just me.

Why are you comparing your personal mileage in a 1987 car to the EPA estimates for a new SUV?

Because I find the EPA estimates vs my mileage a bit ironic, considering people are focused heavily on estimated gas mileages these days. _Most_ people have a belief that anything new gets better fuel economy than anything old ... which is simply not the case.

I had a "incident" last year where a lady kept glaring at me while I was putting gas into my '76 MC. When I confronted her about her glaring, she simply stated something about how she can't believe how people can drive such gas hogs. When she left the gas station ... what did she get into? A brand new Avalanche. You can't tell me that the Avalanche gets better gas mileage than my '76 MC......