2022 Lincoln Navigator Vs 2022 Cadillac Escalade: If You Won The Lottery, Which One Are You Buying?

Lottery, eh?

Bentley Bentayga or Rolls Cullinan. 

This is mostly because I just don't WANT a vehicle the size of a house. 

Anyway, I dig the interior and exterior styling of the Navigator but I'd likely enjoy a gurgling V8 as well. 

Neither will wait for the Escalade or Navigator BEV Thank you very much and will take the gains from investing my lottery winnings while I wait for Full Size SUV BEVs.

I also dont need or want anything that large. Especially in SUV form. 

I have adopted, more or less, a simpler lifestyle and dont have a thirst to spend excessively and needlessly on material objects AND the last couple of months, I have become weary in showing any kind of wealth.  Dont get me wrong, I still want to enjoy the kinds of toys that separate 1st world living versus the 3rd world, but I find myself questioning these kinds of things more frequently and more deeply. 

I would choose the Escalade over the Navigator, but neither tickles my fancy in an internet fantasy discussion, nor in reality.  

Keeping this discussion within the bounds of fantasy based in reality had I won a lottery big enough to support a 100 000 dollar car purchase, and forgetting the fact that I dont have a deeper need to spend that kind of money on a car IN reality, I wouldnt buy neither.  But there is also literarily NO NEW 100 000 dollar,  everyday,  daily driven car that exists TODAY that I would want to own.  

There are plenty of toy cars out there that I WOULD buy. Like a Challenger Hellcat. Even in reality, I would buy that car and enjoy my privilege living in a democratic, 1st world country.  My everyday driver would be less conspicuous and less expensive.  And I would probably drive the Hellcat more often than not during the summer months.  

Based in reality...in the context of the title of the video between two vehicles that are everyday, daily driven cars and not toys I would probably choose a vehicle that costs half as much to buy. Id be comfortable in spending 50 000 dollar, on a sedan preferably,  and with the rest of my winnings, Id keep a lot under my fireproof mattress in my not so big and humble home in a nice neighborhood in a nice city. Id buy some properties here and there and Id leave some of it in a reliable bank or two. Collecting slow interest, but trying to fly under the radar non-the-less.  Keeping the money for my future generation, which are my kids and their kids and their kids.  

• Agree 1

Not to totally derail the thread, but reading Olds' post got me thinking about recent events in my reality that have me questioning many things in life...the $100k question is interesting, and in coming down to reality, I'm not looking to buy a vehicle like that, but am contemplating sinking maybe $100k in fixing up/remodeling my family home (that has been in my family for 54 years)--attempting to undo the decay and destruction my late brother put upon on the place in his downward spiral into schizophrenia, dementia, and becoming a felon.    Thankfully my parents are both deceased and can't see what he did to their beloved home.  Just so damn hard seeing the place as it now.

Not sure if it's worth the investment, though, as I can't see myself living in such a rural setting again, maybe if I (and my sister) were 20 years younger.   Not sure I physically can manage living there with all the hills, ice in winter, mud in spring...  I like the modern conveniences of living in suburbia, have no desire to become an Amish mud farmer or deranged hillbilly recluse like my brother became.

I have great childhood memories of living there, but the difference in the reality of the property in the 70s to the 90s compared to the reality of today is vast.   Upsides to living there would be no mortgage (if I sold my house) and loads of space and room to store many vehicles..

Maybe it's better to try and get it tidy enough and then sell the 130 acres.  The land is worth a nice chunk of change, independent of the house or barns, etc.   Since there are no future generations in my family, there is no one to preserve it for..  probably best to sell it, have more money to put into my retirement fund, and to buy a 2nd home someplace with better winters....I would like to keep a few vehicles (my Dad's '69 Mustang and '67 Cougar, my '87 Mustang GT)  and family heirlooms..been finding old family photos amongst the detritus.

Back sort of on topic, I do see myself in the next few years getting a clean late model used luxury sedan for a primary vehicle (hard to consider something a daily driver since I don't have a work commute, and don't intend to have one again).. Jeep's paid for, not going anywhere...but would like to also have something like a Cadillac CTS, CT5, CT6, Chrysler 300... nothing with a 4cyl, a 6 would be fine.   Comfortable for road trips as an alternate to the Jeep.   Would also like a modern performance car for fun... like a V8 Challenger or V8 Mustang or maybe a sports car (Boxster, Miata?) ... doesn't have to be new.   Lots of stuff to ponder..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

With inflation, I have to think that eventually unless a recession hits globally to really drop prices, we could see the average luxury auto at $200,000 and the average entry level auto at $30 to $40K with the mid luxury level being that $70 to $150K prices.

Remember, Back to the Future called new mid level cars at millions of dollars 50 years into the future since inflation ran amuck. :P 

@Robert Hall I would enjoy the memories, save what you feel you need to save / hold onto and sell the place. Live your life, not life in the past.

Your current house looks big enough to add onto if you wanted another garage or two in the back to hold your mustang or some other auto.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, David said:

@Robert Hall I would enjoy the memories, save what you feel you need to save / hold onto and sell the place. Live your life, not life in the past.

Your current house looks big enough to add onto if you wanted another garage or two in the back to hold your mustang or some other auto.

True that..I can't relive my parents' life.  Great idea about the yard, but can't do that due to zoning in my neighborhood  that limits to sheds I think.   I'm thinking of looking for a larger, one story house w/ more garage space or a small barn up here in a semi-rural area near Lake Erie....within 20-40 miles of Cleveland.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

True that..I can't relive my parents' life.  Great idea about the yard, but can't do that due to zoning in my neighborhood  that limits to sheds I think.   I'm thinking of looking for a larger, one story house w/ more garage space or a small barn up here in a semi-rural area near Lake Erie....within 20-40 miles of Cleveland.  

Very cool, one thing if you do like where you live, see if a Mother in-law add on can be done?

I found out I can do that here and it has dual purpose, one is I get additional garage space that can be added and the Mother in-law  space can be rented out to add income while reducing yard work.

For me, I originally looked at this for my own parents who have since become estranged from me due to religion and now as I move forward with my plans, will be a nice rental unit to help support my wife if I die before her. If not, then we both can benefit from having a rental unit that will bring in additional income.

Just a thought.