41 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of car does Paulie get?

• 2007 Buick LaCrosse CXL
    • 2007 Saturn Aura XR
    • 2007 Chevy Impala 2LT
    • 2007 Honda Accord EX or LX V6
    • 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    • 2007 Other

CVT's are weird at first but the lack of steps really grows on you. So why don't I have a CVT? Well, to keep the story short, the FWD limited on my car did not offer CVT. And at the time, Ford didn't have the CVT calibrated aggressively. I think Nissan calibrates the Murano CVT pretty aggressively. So the Altima's should be good.

If you try the Altima though, try the maxima too. For comparison. I felt the Maxima's 5 speed auto had great shifting.

Edited by regfootball

CRAP, I DIDN'T REALIZE THE 07 Maxima loses its 5 speed auto! IT TOO has the CVT and no stick available.

All Maxima sedans will have CVTs starting the 07 model year.

I hate to see what Fly thinks of me buying a '97 Datsun Roadmaster.

Please, No photos of Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, Osama or Musolini!

paulie, i think the vibe I am getting from your posts is you would prefer the LaCrosse to the Aura in the end but that you are very much intrigued by the 07 Altima.

Paulie is a Buick man so it is the LaCrosse he is intrigued by.

Paulino, go with the LaCrosse CXL. You won't be disappointed. You appreciate certain aspects of the LaCrosse that others view as drawbacks. You plan to keep the car for a while so immediate depreciation isn't a consequence. Maintenance costs are low, and you'll get the 4yr/50k warranty.

True, some of the other vehicles offer certain options that the LaCrosse doesn't, bus most of those only come into the comparison when you're cross-shopping the mentioned vehicles when fully loaded. The LaCrosse CXL offers pretty much what you're looking for in your price range. Right now, there's a $2,000 total in bonus cash & customer rebate on 2006 LaCrosses in the PacNW. I'm sure you have similar.

Well, a friend I never expected to hear this from suggested leasing tonight. Her points, "You like new cars. You would like having a new car every few years. You like the newest features, and changes. That might be the way to go."

I just feel it would be a waste of money, no? Then again, maybe leasing a car for 3 years, and then purchasing a new car might be better and allow me to move out on schedule.

What are peoples' thoughts on leasing?

• 2 weeks later...

Saturn. It's the best looking of all the vehicles here, but I'm someone willing to put up with lots of NVH is my Cloud Car because it looks nice. I'm not saying the Saturn suffers from this, but rather that I will put up with things personally in order to look a we bit better.

Leasing isn't such a bad idea since if you don't have the best credit in the world, then you can build it up some by leasing for 3-4 years and then going for something else, either another lease if you like going with the newest of the new, or possibly just buying out your existing vehicle if you like it enough.

The only drawback to leasing is that they might get you if the car needs some substantial work to bring it to sellable condition. A ding here and there is probably OK, but anything more is probably gonna cost you. Of course, if you do the smartbuy option, you get the chance to buy the car outright after the lease is up if you like it enough where you want to keep it.

Promise me you'll at least consider a Milan/Zeypher. To be perfectly honest, I was still leaning very heavily towards a Maxx until I got in the Fusion and pulled out of the dealership on the test drive. It was absolutely perfect.

Promise me you'll at least consider a Milan/Zeypher.  To be perfectly honest, I was still leaning very heavily towards a Maxx until I got in the Fusion and pulled out of the dealership on the test drive.  It was absolutely perfect.

I'll test drive a Milan--I love the Zephyr.. would totally own one, but that's a bit expensive for me as it's around 30 to start.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now, to make things clear, I'm not saying that buying an Altima would be on the same level as joining the Taliban, selling secrets to the Soviets, or turning in the Son of God, but their pictures are there, and...well...so is yours.

Just think about it.

:pbjtime:

So... uh... Fly... what happens if Nissan buys a part of GM? :pokeowned: Edited by Paolino

P, you've never let on as to whether or not you have driven the LaCrosse. Have you? Which model? Do you like it? Have you driven all of the others?

You really need to drive all the cars and "live in them" via a rental experience if you can. Rental rates sometimes get way low and it's a nice way to sample a vehicle to see if you can live with one day in and day out.

Roberto, the only car I have driven is the Accord EX (a 2003) coupe.

I will test drive them all near purchase time, but I'm considering waiting a bit longer... however, if a deal falls in my lap, I might have to take it.

You still have to make THE PAYMENT. It's not like they give you the car for free. Sometimes, it's better to wait until you are ready than to cave into a low financing deal. I am planning to pay it outright, so I prefer to save more and wait.

I think the 300 Touring is a great value.

You can get the 3.5L V6, leather, and a decent options load for less than $30K.

Then there's the Limited or the 300C but those are more expensive and over $30K.

I can't vote for LaCrosse or Impala....just too substandard. Altima and Accord are nice-driving cars (I'm sure the new Altima will be good) but if you are more concerned with comfort, quietness, and so forth, they will probably not be your best bet.

It's hard for me to vote for AURA because from what I've seen (so far) the car seems so flawed to me in so many areas (other than the XR powertrain which is bang up to date.)

I think the Chrysler would be a very satisfying drive for a few years.....but with that car, it really comes down to whether you like the styling or not.....

I have a friend in CA that is a dealer and this guy owns a 360 Modena, so money for a car is not an issue. He bought a Dodge Magnum RT. I asked him why.....and he replied because it's big, comfortable, quiet, and has plenty of room in it. And for a car to just commute to work and around town, he said it's "perfect" and not a big drain on the wallet.

Edited by The O.C.

Paolino ..

I voted for the Aura.. and would put in another call for driving one of the Ford's CD3's (I do like the MIlan the best as well)...

I think you should not be worried about the new vehicle launch from GM ... like Ford, GM has had very little launch problems over the past 3 years, and I would be more willing to buy a 1st model year from a FoMoCo or GM than from Toyota or Honda, and definitely Nissan or any of the Europeans.

I think the Aura is a very compelling pachage.. sure it is simply a FWD, but has a good engine, good tranny, and some nice touches, and is very well styled.

With the Milan, you lose the nice engine (although the D30 is not bad), but get the option of AWD (well i4wd to be exact). Also, without knowing the Epsylon chasis, the CD3 chasis is about the best midsize FWD chasis you can get - there is very little better than Ford products in FWD chasis tuning - again I do not know how good is the epsylon, but the only Chasis I know comes close to it is the Accord... anything else is way behind..

Anyways ... it seems you would like ot stay FWD (not RWD), so that makes the choices easier...

FINAL REMARK: why no Mazda6? Mazda is a little smaller, but that seems to not be a concern to you. You can get it in the very practical 5door or Wagon. the V6 is the same as in the Milan, but you can get MTX and the ATX has a manushift. I drove the Mazda6 as a loaner when my mazda was in service, and the 6 is a suprisingly agile car... I would definitely put it on your list... especially, because it is not selling as well as Mazda wanted (because it is smaller than cometition) so there are a lot of discounts available.

Well, keep us posted.

Igor

Paolino, now, now, listen to your big brother :lol: Roberto (though short compared to you). Buy the LaCrosse, from your predefined list, for one reason: dependability and the fact that it isn't uncharted territory.

You keep a car a long time, watch your money (you're a teacher) and are trying to balance other things in your life. The LaCrosse, for you, just makes sense. Isn't it great to turn the key and have the goddamn car take you where you need to go, day after day, year after year?