1985 Pontiac Parisienne

Posted (edited)

In this span of years, Pontiac's Parisienne was definitely the go-to GM full size in my book.

The circular gauges in the dash lead me to believe that a gauge package was available and would slot in easily.  Add some rally, honeycomb, or whatever Pontiac sport wheels were offered that year.

I would have to look up engines.  If I'm not mistaken, they actually started out full-size Pontiacs and Chevys with the Chevy (Vortec) 4.3 liter TBI V6, which was probably weak for this size of car, but indestructible.  One always runs into people with over 300,000 miles on their 4.3 V6s.   

I'm wondering if Pontiac stopped their V8 production by this time, meaning that it wouldn't feature a 301 V8.  That would mean it took the Olds supplied 307 V8.  You can't argue with that.  I'd much prefer it to a Chevy supplied 305 V8.  The best combo would have been a GM small block V8 outfitted with TBI instead of the carburetors they still had in them.

Edited by trinacriabob

The Chevrolet 305  used in the Caprice was an option during this time. They used the Chevrolet 305 and Oldsmobile 307 V8. I found out the hard way and through information. I assumed that they only used the Chevrolet 305 and found out that was not the case. The  sedan and wagons used the Oldsmobile 307 V8.   So the 305 and 307 were both used during this time frame. 

Engine 231 cu in (3.8 L) Buick V6
265 cu in (4.3 L) Pontiac V8
301 cu in (4.9 L) Pontiac V8
305 cu in (5.0 L) Chevrolet V8
307 cu in (5.0 L) Oldsmobile V8
350 cu in (5.7 L) Pontiac V8

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1985/2845985/pontiac_parisienne_brougham_sedan_5_0_liter_v8_automatic_overdrive.html

• Thanks 1

@riviera74 Yes, I looked up Pontiac V8 and a Wiki article did say that 1981 was the end of the line and described how they wound down their engine products - the 301 existed for the last four years ... and the 265 (a de-bored 301) only existed for the last two years!

@NINETY EIGHT REGENCY Right, the Chevy 305 (5.0) and the Olds 307 (5.0) were both used. 

Up to 1981, they would have used their Pontiac V8s - 265 (4.3) and 301 (4.9) for sedans and coupes.  I did not ever see these Pontiac engines offered in California!  For new cars destined for the Golden State, I'm sure they were using the Chevy 305 V8, so that's where it comes in.  From 1982 onward, it was probably the Olds 307 V8 that dominated.  The Chevy 305 V8 could have been slotted into some cars here and there, but I'm not sure.

Where the list goes awry is with the V6s.  The 3.8 V6 was used up until 1984.  The following model year, 1985, Chevy released the 4.3 L Vortec TBI V6.  It made its way into cars like the Caprice/Impala and Monte Carlo.  There was a difference between this engine and the 3.8 - it lugged around cars more effortlessly and the fuel delivery seemed more "responsive."   It also made its way into Grand Prix.  And it even made its way into some Parisiennes.  (I have a photo of one Pontiac full size from December car spotting and it has a fuel injection badge, as did the front fender of Monte Carlos with this engine - the only available engines to feature TBI.)

This brings up an interesting swap ... one 4.3 for another 4.3, but with 2 less cylinders.  The 265 (4.3) V8 didn't put out much horsepower, similar to the Olds Rocket 260 V8, and had a 2 barrel carburetor.  Three years later, the 4.3 Vortec V6 put out the same or slightly more horsepower, had a simple fuel injection system with one squirter, used fuel a little more sparingly, gave you more room in the engine bay, and made tune-ups cheaper - 2 less plugs and 2 less plug wires!