Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Sketch Competition #6 - Cadillac Coupe

Welcome to Sketch Competition #5!

If one brand of vehicle symbolizes American opulence and culture, it’s Cadillac. And of all the bodystyles automobiles come in today, the one that best represents individualism and freedom is the two-door coupe. Two-door Cadillac coupe – what better match is there? In fact, some of the most legendary Cadillac models have been coupes, from the fin-bedecked Coupe DeVille of the late 1950s to the Eldorado line.

Today, the two-door market has shrunk incredibly and the segment once presided over by luxurious ‘personal coupes’ has been annexed and divided up by compact sports cars, hatchbacks, and ridiculously expensive exotics. Where is the lust-worthy yet attainable coupe for us to dream of, the car that shows other we have arrived?

Its on your sheet of paper.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to sketch a new Cadillac coupe. Your sketch should include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:

-3/4 Front View

-3/4 Rear View

-Interior View

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this must be a Cadillac-branded vehicle and also a coupe. Its size can be whatever you would like it to be, from smaller (BLS) to intermediate (STS) to large (Eldorado or beyond). Whether you take the sportier route or a more luxurious stance is also up to you.

There is much to take inspiration from in this contest. Some beginning places include…

Many generations of Eldorados

Current Cadillac lineup

The winner will recieve a Cadillac-related prize!

Deadline is Saturday, July 8th @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

so what am i going to submit? an Eldorado perhaps? or a CTC? those would be the most logical choices... so which is it?

NEITHER!!!!!

Posted Image

the return of the Coupe Deville... hell yeah... outside the box!!!!! :P

Well by now you guys KNEW this was coming from me ...it ain't gonna win no contest, matter of fact its more of a concept car sketch, to give ideas on what or what not to do...a retro styled caddy coupe, still looks better than chryslers Imperial, even if not by much...LOL....;

Posted Image

yea its...ah, PINK !

I'm thinking you guys are gonna have to step into the outside box on this.

Nice work Monte.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

OK I could not resist doing this, I dunno if it's IN the box or OUTSIDE tho... ???

maybe it's just "off the wall "...LOL

....a 1958 Allante XLR coupe ;

Posted Image

So much for the preliminary fool'in around....LOL.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Entry numero uno .

a different Eldorado, if you see alot of T-bird & Mark in it ...well ur right, cuz those people got nothing to buy anymore either....not that they wouldn't ...

IF they were offered something that appealed to them tho....cross marketing design...lol.

Posted Image

..like I said, the unexpected,... IS always outside the box, but need not be a totally bad thing at all !!

Just depends upon your point of reference.

The formula here was Tbird plus Camaro, divided by the BIG Mark = Eldoroado.

A true smaller sport coupe based upon best selling Big USA cars.

NOT some styleless luxo flounder, (read Lexus) even tho it has a retro style to it !

granted that FORD would be better off building something like this ...

BUT there's nothing like beatin 'em to the Punch !

Hmmm, now for my NEXT trick....

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Entry Number Two. ...(& I am 'bout done here, for now anyway).

Cadillac Coupe DeVille ; :ohyeah:

You ready for THIS ??

You ain't ready for this at all....

Trust me...LOL...

Posted Image

Ca-Ching !...."and your CHANGE , Sir"...

Posted Image

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

and NOW....the third and final act in this little triumverate tour de force;

Cadillac XLR-V Sports Coupe;

Posted Image

Shows over ...go home,... LOL;

These last 3 drawings are unre-touched NO software at all. Just ONE pencil ( a papermate 2 HB) & paper.

I had to finish this set of drawings, as ALL of them here posted were done in the last 24 hrs, (including the 2 funny ones & a coupla tight whips on the other thread).

I deliberately gave each picture a different character, and technique.

So IF I hear anymore about how I cannot DESIGN or DRAW or CHOP just about ANYTHING...Not say'in I am the best at all,

...nor that I give a damn, cuz I dont (no more emails please tho)....BUT...

I am gonna puke all over the next person who says it, OK ?

(ALL Present company excepted, for now ..lol)

If ....and when they can match my production and at least equal the quality and creativity, THEN I might listen to em, otherwise......Schools OUT !

Good Luck Boys ...& I hope ya got your pencils sharpend !!!!

Peace.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Guest YellowJacket894

Sweat the small stuff, sweat the details, especially if it's a Caddy...

The box it came in...

Posted Image

And the car in the box...

Posted Image

And the interior inside of the car...

Posted Image

I don't mean to sound...uppity, but I'm proud of getting that angle down right. I really burned the midnight oil on this son of a bitch.

Edited by YellowJacket894

YJ...yea I like that , NICE change of perspective too, cool.

VERY GOOD....I like the license plate too !

Hey I am going to change out my Eldorado pixs, it was kinda a joke anyway drawing a bunch a FORDS...LOL.

My Sat TV went down and wont be back up til MONDAY !!! :censored:

...so I am PISSED in general cuz I am missing ALL of the car races this weekend, so Nothing left to do but DRAW & BITCH !!!!...LOL !!! :hissyfit:

well..almost nothing...LOL... :alcoholic:

Allright I redid the ELDORADO ; (use this as my entry #1, not the other OK ?)

Posted Image

Thats it I have reached my limit on this contest,...

Now back to my :cussing: & :alcoholic:

Damn I want that NEW red convertible !!!!....

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

my caddy coupe, perspective may be off, but meh.

Posted Image

Interior:

Posted Image

its funny because im rebadging my drawings, this interior i did for a caprice contest elsewhere, and i decided it fit my caddy well, so i rebadged it. There you go, im thinking like GM already!

render:

Posted Image

Edited by Burns

2 comments...an Im out. (both are EASY fixes tho)...;

YJ, the only thing off in your drawing is the side mirror, it slants the wrong way !

Just foreshorten it ...also the back tire angle, and it'll be perfect then....

very nice drawing really ...esp for the first shot at that persepctive !!!.

Burns, the persepctive aint that bad at all, the SHADING...use a bigger brush tool.

in SKBPro click on the brush icon in the menu toolbox, and a magnifying glass thing will appear, click inside it and drag the mosue til you get a BIGGER brush , THEM cover over the entire car at once, do another layer for each shade degree and or color. THEN ERASE away to show refections and tone, asa well as clean up stray airbrush marks.

YOU almost got it down, it has taken me awhile to understand it too and make it work better. Your grille and tires should be BLACK, I use the brush tool for those. i use the airbrush tool as I go down the body sides and graduate the shading to a darker degree, starting with the darkest layers FIRST and add lighter layers as you go until you reach the highlights, in that level do VERY little, just pen marks to show refelections, OK ??

YJ you should get a trail of Alais sketchbook pro too, it free at autodesk.com, you would love it and take to it easy with your drawing skills.

later, ...keep at it boys, your doing REAL GOOD PIXS !!!

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

i might do another one too, this time im thinking ill go a bit retro modern, large and luxurious.

here are some of my thoughts regarding the entries so far:

YJ- love the design, very sharp and i LOVE the roofline, very sexy. However, i cant say the same for the interior. IMO It looks a bit cluttered and weird. I think some normal gauges will make it better, and the center stack, while attractive, doesnt seem very practical (with the wedge shape) IMO, perhaps you should make the top part (up until the vents) "wedgy", and curve it out when you get to the bottom. and add a CD slot while your at it :) I hope that helps.

Monte- also a fairly attractive design, but overall, IMO it looks a bit dated, which is fine if thats what you're going for, but i suggest looking to the STS/SRX for some inspiration for making it more modern. Also, you need to make your door handels smaller :AH-HA_wink:

Mr. Metal- i think what would benefit you the most would be ditching the whole retro thing. IMO the problem with your entries is that they dont really look cadillac with respect to caddys current lineup, they look too retro. Maybe if you combine some of the retro thing with caddys current design cues (like you did a bit with your XLR) it would be better.

Count me in...

Nothing fancy, just an evolution of the last-gen Eldorado. I apologize for using lined paper, but I couldn't find any unlined paper around here (we're fresh out of printer paper). I also realize that I didn't shade the tires in, but when I did and re-scanned it, the picture came out really fuzzy, so just imagine the tires are black...

Posted Image

LOL...COOL !

BURNS you just gave me a REASON to draw up MORE entries....LMAO !!

I will do as you said, cant hurt right ??..BUT I DO like the RETRO thing, and a bit of it would HELP the current Caddilac LOOK IMO, I esp like that RED vert !, maybe the front was a bit too 64-66 tho....THX.

and YJ ...i like the interior sketches ALOT !!!

Hey DetroitNUT........Nice Name !!!...lol. ....another Tight Whips !!

Welcome to the family dude.

Sharpen that pencil, man. we goin for the FULL EFFECT here, you need to look at the persective a bit better, see Burns recent drawing as he has straighted out his persectives which used to be a bit Catywampus like yours right now, BUT dont sweat it, WE ALL screw perspectives up,it just takes doing loads more of em till ya get the lines to connect the right way. take a look at some of the drawings here and then do another one for us, ...OK ???

Nice Eldo ideas, I like the FINS !!!!

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Thanks! This was more of a 'let me see if I can do this' kind of drawing than anything. But I'll practice a little more and try again later...

Guest YellowJacket894

YJ- love the design, very sharp and i LOVE the roofline, very sexy. However, i cant say the same for the interior. IMO It looks a bit cluttered and weird. I think some normal gauges will make it better, and the center stack, while attractive, doesnt seem very practical (with the wedge shape) IMO, perhaps you should make the top part (up until the vents) "wedgy", and curve it out when you get to the bottom. and add a CD slot while your at it smile :) I hope that helps.

I'll try to fit that in somewhere. :) (I'm swamped this week! Ahhhh!)

allright I did some more caddys....I know you can hardly wait to see them...LOL

(aw crap NOT MORE of his $h! !!!...he's got too much already !!!)

Well blame Monte, he told me some of them looked to RETRO !

so here ya go this is gonna have to replace one of the others I guess, its ONE drawing...I worked all night on it rendering all the cars in it at once.

The new Caddilac 2 door Line up:

Posted Image

The Eldorado

The Barritz convertible

The Elcamarado personal truck

heres a link to a bigger pix too...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/slip...e/caddyline.jpg

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

• 2 weeks later...

last one ;...Eldorado coupe:

Posted Image

that's what im talking about mr.metal! Looks very modern yet retro. Only thing id change would be the headlights, but otherwise its perfect (especially from the rear view, where the roofline looks more curvy).

Im done my second entry, and ill post it tommorrow.

A few artists have PMed me requsting slight extensions for various reasons. I've decided to extend the deadline to Wednesday, July 12th as a result.

If you'd like to submit another entry or whatever, feel free to do so!

Thanks!