Pontiac G6 Convertible Sells Out for 2006

IL Insider: Pontiac G6 Convertible Sells Out for 2006

Date posted: 06-16-2006

DETROIT — It looks as if Pontiac has another hot convertible on its hands: The 2006 G6 convertible is flying off dealer lots.

Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson told Inside Line that the G6 convertible is selling at an average transaction price of $31,300 as of June. The G6 convertible has a base price of $28,490, including a $650 shipping charge. The G6 convertible is averaging five days on dealer lots.

"The '07s are already in production, and there shouldn't be an extended time for people to wait for the G6 convertible," Hopson said.

The car is built at the GM plant in Lake Orion, Michigan, on the same lines as the coupe and sedan models of the G6. Hopson said the plan is to build 15,000-20,000 2007 G6 convertibles, but the factory has the flexibility to build as many as 30,000-35,000 a year, or roughly 25 percent of total G6 volume.

Article continued

Full URL: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115773

I wonder since Saturn is getting a version of the Astra are they going to send the hardtop convertible version as well?? this would be like a smaller G6 convertible and would sell for about $5,000 less than the G6.. probably one reason for the G6 convertibles success is because the owners of camaro and firebird convertibles are starting to replace thier cars..

Does sound wierd. Just the FWD part will turn Camaro fans off. Although I see people who used to drive Cutlass Supreme Convertibles moving on to a G6 convertible.

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.....

:bluecutlass: <--- a pic of me driving my Cutlass Convertible...

GREAT!!!

This just goes to show that if GM LAUNCHES the CORRECT PRODUCT (READ: Innovative, stylish, desireable) in the CORRECT MANNER (READ: actually INFORMS the consumer of it's existance & virtues) that Pontiac and Buick CAN still have life.

The G6 seems to be doing better everyday!!!!

Perhaps the best news for Pontiac is the renewed interest in the brand on the West Coast. Pontiac says 2006 retail sales increased by 9.7 percent in Los Angeles over 2005 numbers and were up 16.9 percent in San Francisco in the same time period. "These are places we don't do traditionally well in," Hopson said. "It tells us we are starting to turn the corner and get back on people's radar screens."

GM also needs a new GTO to keep that momentum going! And to think... Everyone wanted this division to be phased out.

And to think, I haven't even seen ANY reviews on this car yet (Although I'm sure they'll all be just as &#036;h&#33;ty as our automotive media itself)

I am seeing more and more of them on the roads here in Michigan. They are still a rarity though. Great looking car and people who don't know what it is are like "whats that?!!". My girlfriend would like one, but they are a little pricey for her she said, or else she would get one in a heartbeat. I told her, you don't want a first year car even though its "in" right now.

I've been seeing a lot more G6 coupes and sedans around the LA area. Funny, a lot more means I've actually been seeing them around, as opposed to hardly ever. The G6 coupe I've finally seen twice or three times on the road, those are definitely retail sales, and I've been seeing a lot of GTP sedans. Looks like those are good deals, seeing as how the Accord V6 sedan starts at around 25k, but you could get a G6 GTP for around 23-24k. Great looking cars on the outside, especially in GTP form, but the interior is bleak.

One thing to remember, most Camaro owners have since aged since their purchase 4 or 5 years ago. So, many have families, and certainly their wives control their pocketbook (won't happen to me!)

I can see how Camaro owners would replace their then daily driver when they were single for a 2+2 hardtop coupe 'vert.

Absolutely I can believe that.

GREAT!!!

And to think, I haven't even seen ANY reviews on this car yet (Although I'm sure they'll all be just as &#036;h&#33;ty as our automotive media itself)

There is a review in the Pontiac section by Canadaindriver. Wish I lived in a warmer climate, I haven't seen one yet. I like the vert but the coupe just doesn't do anything for me.

One thing to remember, most Camaro owners have since aged since their purchase 4 or 5 years ago. So, many have families, and certainly their wives control their pocketbook (won't happen to me!)

Tell that to us after you've been married for 5 years. It happens in every marriage in some form or another.

Moving on. I was able to experience the G6 hardtop this weekend and I can understand why they are flying out of the dealerships. It's one sweet car. Of course, there was an issue retracting the hardtop because water must have gotten into the motor(not good). But after it dried, it worked perfectly and a lot of people were staring when I was driving it. It was a great weekend too. Temps in the 90s and bright sunshine for Saturday and Sunday. I really would like one now.

Edited by Cadillacfan

G6 Cabrios sold out? Awesome!

I've seen about three in the past couple of weeks, both on Interstate 69, and both of the idiot drivers still had the side windows up even though the top was down.

Umm, duh, that's the point of the convertible...WIND!

There is a review in the Pontiac section by Canadaindriver. Wish I lived in a warmer climate, I haven't seen one yet. I like the vert but the coupe just doesn't do anything for me.

Yes, it's here:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/06g6conv.htm

And as I mentioned before, usually this guy doesn't like American.

I was shock at how many 04-06 GTP GP's are owned by former F body owners on GP.com.

Shouldn't be.

The majority.... yes, majority... of F-body owners are NOT firebreathing, V8, wannabe profesional racers of varing degrees, but simply people who want a good looking, sporty car. Especially true with convertible owners.

The best selling convertible in the country the past few years has been (sit down for this) the Chrysler Sebring with the Mustang V6 right up there with it.

The Pontiac G6 convertible is new, great looking, well made, and is in a market that isn't exactly overpopulated with affordable, "right sized" compacts.

I'm not the least surprised that the G6 convertible is a success. Certainly not shocked that former F-car owners are buying them.... or that there are alot of people who might have otherwise bought imports springing for the G6 as well. :)

I wish the top didn't take up so much space. Other manufacturers have found ways to get a hard top vert that doesn't consume so much of the trunk.

All in all this is a nice package though. It will be interesting to see how the G6 sales go after the VW Eos and Chrysler Sebring Hardtop convertibles hit the market.

I wish the top didn't take up so much space.  Other manufacturers have found ways to get a hard top vert that doesn't consume so much of the trunk.

All in all this is a nice package though.  It will be interesting to see how the G6 sales go after the VW Eos and Chrysler Sebring Hardtop convertibles hit the market.

I think it will eat both of them for lunch. The current Seb convertible is a piece of crap and that is only loved by the rental agency. Once the new 3.6L engine and the 6 speed auto finds its way into the G6 vert, I think it could be the best selling convertible.

I wish the top didn't take up so much space.  Other manufacturers have found ways to get a hard top vert that doesn't consume so much of the trunk.

All in all this is a nice package though.  It will be interesting to see how the G6 sales go after the VW Eos and Chrysler Sebring Hardtop convertibles hit the market.

I think it will eat both of them for lunch. The current Seb convertible is a piece of crap and that is only loved by the rental agency. Once the new 3.6L engine and the 6 speed auto finds its way into the G6 vert, I think it could be the best selling convertible.

In light of today's Sebring photo unveiling, I'm inclined to agree.

I wish if the Sedan was doing this well, hopefully the success of the Convertible will help the Sedan, not!

Yeah, that is a shame. It is a pretty fun car to drive if you can overlook some of its shortcomings. But I am glad that major improvements are coming for MY 07.

I can see how Camaro owners would replace their then daily driver when they were single for a 2+2 hardtop coupe 'vert.

Absolutely I can believe that.

You won't see me getting rid of my TA's for the G6 convertible. I will get the GTO, Vette or Solstice before I get the G6 vert. I have seen two on the road already. Myself and my 16 year oldl son stopped by the dealership. We both liked the G6 vert but in the end I would want a car with more HP. I like V8s and rear wheel drive too much to give them up.