Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Flip-Flop Ford Does It Again

16 posts in this topic

This is OLD news! And never, ever, ever did any official Ford press release say "SVT is dead".  To some, 'get a grip', I say, and remember most 'news' is speculation.

judging by Ford's output, SVT is limited to a couple guys in a far corner cube somewhere playing quake across the IT network.

way to go ford

Who cares either way, the ONE vehicle they should have

made they dropped the ball on... the SVT Focus built up

with a Mustang V8 and IRS/RWD. That is a cool idea,

they should make that car in limited numbers for us RWD

V8 fans. A sick little sleeper like that was the best idea

SVT ever had. Also WhyTF is there no such thing as a

Crown Vic. with IRS and a big 5.4 liter??? Jezus Ford! :blink:

I'll do this in two parts.

Who cares either way, the ONE vehicle they should have

made they dropped the ball on... the SVT Focus built up

with a Mustang V8 and IRS/RWD. That is a cool idea,

they should make that car in limited numbers for us RWD

V8 fans. A sick little sleeper like that was the best idea

SVT ever had.

Because the cost of producing it would be astronomical, the list of modifications needed would be so long it might as well be its own model. By the time all that got taken care of, it would be priced alongside the Mustang GT, if not higher, so whats the point. 5000 sales isn't worth it, thats why they dropped the SVT Focus (which was a decent value) to begin with.

Also WhyTF is there no such thing as a

Crown Vic. with IRS and a big 5.4 liter??? Jezus Ford! :blink:

If the Marauder had been successful, Ford may have considered that. Retail demand for the CV and GM are is mostly in the near-death age group, people who aren't interested in huge V8s or an IRS. Those who are can do it themselves with the help of wrecked F-150s (engine) and Mustang Cobras.

Satty:

You do realise those conversions were done already?

Cost of what development? It's all part's bin mix &

match. There was no problem even fitting the V8

under the hood. You can buy this conversion in kit

form, but I think SVT shuld have made this as a

production car.

All Ford needed to do with the focus when the duratec 23 came out was to put the SVT suspension on the basic car (which is kind of what the ST was). Then, they could have added a turbo to the ST or whatever. It would have only been minimal effort for FOrd to make a top level Focus and sell it in big numbers at a decent price. The SVT was not sold at all Ford delears. Had it been, it would have sold 4x. It only sold 5k per year because that was how many they made, just like the Contour.

Satty:

production car.

Taking things out of a parts bin may be cheap, but it would be very hard for Ford to build a V8 RWD Focus on the same line as the regular one. If they were going to do it, they'd have to build it in a corner of a factory somewhere like Dodge does with the Viper, not a good way to keep the price down. Putting a V8 and RWD drivetrain into a car that was probably designed to accomodate AWD wouldn't be that hard to engineer, its the production process that makes it impossible. Plus, as I already said, it would overlap with the Mustang, so whats the point?

The Marauder was botched again, because of Ford's incompetnece with automatics and because the engine did not put out enough power.

My thoughts exactly. When I first heard about the Marauder, I was excited as he!!. A big fat RWD with a beastly motor? What's not to love?

The, the thing hits the market with this mildly tuned engine, very minor exterior treatment & I was asleep by the time anyone did a test drive.

Now, imagine if they'd done what Dodge has done on a few instances & just dropped a big honkin' truck motor in there, given it a manual... it's not like there isn't a demand for that kind of beast. Who didn't want an Impala SS when Chevy released them in the 90s?

Had they done it right, it could be on its 2nd generation & sporting a 500hp Ford GT engine!

Perhaps Chevy will give us the Monte Carlo done right or perhaps another Grand National... :drool:

Satty:

production car.

The Maurauder was a fine Crown Vic LX Sport+, but it sucked at being a real muscle car. Chintzy Pep Boys gauges and the same tired interior (virtually) as the aforementioned Sport showed how serious Ford was about this thing. Not to mention it couldn't beat a six year-old Impala SS in all the numbers, as was shown on Mercury's own website.

Sad. But even worse considering how old the Panther setup is, meaning is pretty much been bought and paid for several times over. How much would it have really cost to make this a hot car? A hot coupe? A hot droptop? Probably more than the annual CV/GM/TC update budget of $825.68 allowed.

I'll take either of those!!!

Sounds to me like they're doing essentially the same thing GM has done with GMPD and Chrysler has done with SRT... All in all, not a bad thing. And a lot better than KILLING it altogether.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this