Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Hyundai Looking to be the Safety King

Variance

Hyundai Looking to be the Safety King

Posted Image

It would seem that way anyway.

Hyundai recently announced that they expect to sell 350,000 vehicles with standard electronic stability control for the 2007 model year. That would be more than Lexus, Audi, Infiniti and any other luxury brand.

Though that is commendable, it isn't particularly impressive. You're comparing sales of a volume brand to sales of traditionally lower-volume brands; I'd expect the volume brand to sell more.

Kudos to Hyundai for making ESC standard, though.

Read "Hyundai Puts More Vehicles With Standard Electronic Stability..." @ PR Newswire

Oldsmobile sold more V8s in the 2002 model year than Rolls-Royce and Bentley combined. Meaning...nothing.

Yes, its a good thing, but the statement is a bit hollow for the reasons Variance mentioned. Remeniscent of the 'More interior volume than a 760i' line for the Azera. A 1998 LeSabre also has more 'interior volume' than a 760i.

Oldsmobile sold more V8s in the 2002 model year than Rolls-Royce and Bentley combined. Meaning...nothing.

Yes, its a good thing, but the statement is a bit hollow for the reasons Variance mentioned. Remeniscent of the 'More interior volume than a 760i' line for the Azera. A 1998 LeSabre also has more 'interior volume' than a 760i.

But the difference is... none of Hyundai's competitors offer ESP as standard equipment.

Sometimes it just comes down to the packaging overall, and not just what's on the surface. Sure, it's a volume brand; but I think that actually speaks volumes because they are going to offer ESP in more of their cars than the luxury brands can make praise for their own. It's always the trend anyhow, that volume brands begin to place contraptions and gizmos in their cars today that luxury brands offered in their cars yesterday.

So, okay, let's hear it:

"I don't care because I don't need no ESP, ABS, Airbags, brakes, etc. I'm in complete control of my car at all times. I'm the perfect driver."

70% of their volume will have ESC as standard equipment...

I just keep remembering that between the years 2005-2010, GM will be phasing in ABS, Traction-Control, & ESC as standard equipment on all vehicles (trucks & cars). Hyundai won't be a "safety leader" if that's all they've got. Chevrolet will be 100% in less than 4 years.

Hmmm.... well in any case Hyundai is going to be a thorn in Toyota's

side more and more in coming years. The Sonata looks a lot better

than the new Camry & a RWD Tiburon would be very cool, perhaps it

will outsell the Celican and Toyota will bring that back to RWD. I

don't even care if the TYiburon get's a V8, even just RWD would be

great and it would make a Korean car a serious competitor in drifting.

than the new Camry...

Personally, I think Hyundai's styling is top notch... better than most brands out there & certainly better than anything from Japan.

Regarding safety, someone posted this link:

http://informedforlife.org/

The updated list of safest cars on the road has the Sedona as #1!!!!

70% of their volume will have ESC as standard equipment...

I just keep remembering that between the years 2005-2010, GM will be phasing in ABS, Traction-Control, & ESC as standard equipment on all vehicles (trucks & cars). Hyundai won't be a "safety leader" if that's all they've got. Chevrolet will be 100% in less than 4 years.

For '07...

Accent - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS

Elantra - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Sonata - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Azera - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Tucson - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Santa Fe - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Entourage - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Tiburon - standard side airbags, ABS

Against comparable '07 Chevys...

Aveo - standard side airbags, optional ABS

Cobalt - optional side curtains, optional ABS/TC

Malibu - optional side airbags, standard side curtains, standard ABS/TC

Impala - standard side curtains, standard ABS/TC

Equinox - optional side curtains, standard ABS/TC/ESP

Uplander - optional f/r side airbags, standard ABS/TC, optional ESP

Edited by empowah

than the new Camry & a RWD Tiburon would be very cool, perhaps it

will outsell the Celican and Toyota will bring that back to RWD. I

don't even care if the TYiburon get's a V8, even just RWD would be

great and it would make a Korean car a serious competitor in drifting.

LOL. The RWD Tiburon would be cool but the warmed over Accord look of the Sonata leaves much to be desired. By the way, I thought we all disliked bland, boring, blah, blah, blah? The new Camry stands apart from every one of it classmates save the Fusion.

LOL.  The RWD Tiburon would be cool but the warmed over Accord look of the Sonata leaves much to be desired.  By the way, I thought we all disliked bland, boring, blah, blah, blah?  The new Camry stands apart from every one of it classmates save the Fusion.

the new altima will make the camry look like dog poo, which it already does.

For '07...

Accent - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS

Elantra - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Sonata - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Azera - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Tucson - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Santa Fe - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Entourage - standard side airbags/side curtains, ABS/TC/ESP

Tiburon - standard side airbags, ABS

Against comparable '07 Chevys...

Aveo - standard side airbags, optional ABS

Cobalt - optional side curtains, optional ABS/TC

Malibu - optional side airbags, standard side curtains, standard ABS/TC

Impala - standard side curtains, standard ABS/TC

Equinox - optional side curtains, standard ABS/TC/ESP

Uplander - optional f/r side airbags, standard ABS/TC, optional ESP

You obviously missed my point. GM as a whole will be 100% in less than 4 years... including Chevrolet. That's far more ambitious considering how many Brands GM has.

Chevrolet has already made its statement to be 100% by decade's end. Hyundai's move is just to keep up with the competition's previously announced plans. Nothing more.

edited: You left out Chevrolet's SUVs & Trucks. True, Hyundai doesn't have anything comparable, but when comparing % of line-up, it's admissible.

Edited by VenSeattle

GM Announcement Speech, 1/30/05

That’s powerful data … and GM takes it seriously. We’re already installing StabiliTrak on our full-size utility vehicles. Mid-size utilities will get StabiliTrak later this year and all utilities and vans will have the technology by the end of 2007. The entire portfolio – cars and trucks – will have StabiliTrak by 2010. Antilock brakes and traction control will be standard on all these vehicles as well...

...We want to bring that kind of safety, security and peace-of-mind to a broader group of consumers because it’s the right thing to do … and because only GM can do it. So, I’m also pleased to announce that by the end of 2007, OnStar will become standard equipment on all GM retail vehicles sold in the U.S. and Canada . Only GM.

You obviously missed my point. GM as a whole will be 100% in less than 4 years... including Chevrolet. That's far more ambitious considering how many Brands GM has.

Chevrolet has already made its statement to be 100% by decade's end. Hyundai's move is just to keep up with the competition's previously announced plans. Nothing more.

edited: You left out Chevrolet's SUVs & Trucks. True, Hyundai doesn't have anything comparable, but when comparing % of line-up, it's admissible.

Yeah, I don't get your point. To me, it seems like GM is behind by not offering ESP on any of their '07 Chevrolet sedans. And Hyundai started offering ESP well before GM "responded" with their 2010 deadline. Because of their smaller lineup, I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai beat them to 100% by 2 years.

Yeah, I don't get your point. To me, it seems like GM is behind by not offering ESP on any of their '07 Chevrolet sedans. And Hyundai started offering ESP well before GM "responded" with their 2010 deadline.

Where was Hyundai's announcement to make ABS, Traction Control, & Stability Control standard on all their vehicles prior to 2005 for GM to "respond to?" GM's announcement was in Jan'05. It appears that Hyundai's push is a response to GM's previously announced strategy. Hyundai didn't even offer a sedan with ESP available when GM made the announcement. GM did. ABS & TC were only optional on Sonata and even the XG350 I think in 2004/2005.

True, Chevrolet didn't have a sedan with ESP either, but just like Hyundai, Chevrolet's SUVs/truck-like vehicles had it available prior to GM's announcement. However GM (as a whole) offered vehicles with ESP available or standard much earlier than Hyundai could have ever dreamed.

Because of their smaller lineup, I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai beat them to 100% by 2 years.

Chevrolet is stuck introducing it as standard equipment based on its model life cycles. Current vehicles out that were designed prior to the commitment won't be reengineered with the technology. But, several GM brands will have beaten Hyundai: GMC, HUMMER, Cadillac... possibly SAAB, Buick, and Saturn will have matched Hyundai at 100% in 2008 or 2009.

But a second question comes into play with the "100%" issue... by 2010, do you think Hyundai & KIA both will offer all three (ABS, TC, ESP)standard on every vehicle when GM is offering them standard on all vehicles?

Where was Hyundai's announcement to make ABS, Traction Control, & Stability Control standard on all their vehicles prior to 2005 for GM to "respond to?" GM's announcement was in Jan'05. It appears that Hyundai's push is a response to GM's previously announced strategy. Hyundai didn't even offer a sedan with ESP available when GM made the announcement. GM did. ABS & TC were only optional on Sonata and even the XG350 I think in 2004/2005.

The 2005 Tucson, which was released late '04, had standard ESP. It appears that Hyundai engineered subsequent vehicles, like the '06 Sonata, also with ESP in mind, well before GM's 2005 announcement. BTW, the only '05 GM sedans with ESP were Cadillacs and Saabs.

True, Chevrolet didn't have a sedan with ESP either, but just like Hyundai, Chevrolet's SUVs/truck-like vehicles had it available prior to GM's announcement. However GM (as a whole) offered vehicles with ESP available or standard much earlier than Hyundai could have ever dreamed.

Chevrolet is stuck introducing it as standard equipment based on its model life cycles. Current vehicles out that were designed prior to the commitment won't be reengineered with the technology. But, several GM brands will have beaten Hyundai: GMC, HUMMER, Cadillac... possibly SAAB, Buick, and Saturn will have matched Hyundai at 100% in 2008 or 2009.

But a second question comes into play with the "100%" issue... by 2010, do you think Hyundai & KIA both will offer all three (ABS, TC, ESP)standard on every vehicle when GM is offering them standard on all vehicles?

Very likely... currently, the Kia Sedona, Sorento, Sportage, and Optima have ESP available. That leaves just the Rio and Spectra; ESP can be added midcycle, as evidenced by the Sorento (and Torrent, Trailblazer, and so on).

My point isn't to bother over itty-bitty details, but rather acknowledge Hyundai/Kia's surprising commitment to safety by offering advanced features throughout their model line. At the moment, no other manufacturer offers 75% of their models with standard ESP. GM should also be commended for their 2010 deadline, especially considering the number of brands they have, but rival manufacturers are quietly offering similar ESP availability.

BTW, the only '05 GM sedans with ESP were Cadillacs and Saabs.

Park Avenue, LeSabre, Bonneville, Grand Prix - standard or optional depending on model.

Thank you... And even before that, Oldsmobile also offered ESP as the "Precision Control System" on Intrigue & Aurora.

As Fly mentioned, my own 2003 Buick Park Avenue Ultra has it as standard equipment. The 2005 Buick LaCrosse also offered it on CXS trim.

My point isn't to bother over itty-bitty details, but rather acknowledge Hyundai/Kia's surprising commitment to safety by offering advanced features throughout their model line.

I did acknowledge it... and said it's really no different (or more exceptional) than what GM had already announced as its own strategy.

Considering one of the largest manufacturers in the world is doing the EXACT same thing in about the same time frame makes Hyundai the King of nothing. It's now just expected to remain competitive. The title insinuates that no other manufacturer is doing this, which isn't true.

The repair shops are going to be clogged with these cars in a few more years when they are out of warrenty and all the gadgets start to fail as they inevitably will. All it takes is a faulty or dirty sensor to totally disable all these devices. My next vehicle is going to be without ABS. Every ABS car I have owned has cost rediculous amounts of money to keep working and I never have liked the fact that you can't shut it off in most makes. Until a manufacturer comes up with an off button for ABS I will never buy it again!

I did acknowledge it... and said it's really no different (or more exceptional) than what GM had already announced as its own strategy.

Considering one of the largest manufacturers in the world is doing the EXACT same thing in about the same time frame makes Hyundai the King of nothing. It's now just expected to remain competitive. The title insinuates that no other manufacturer is doing this, which isn't true.

What's impressive is how Hyundai is the CURRENT safety king by having the only mainstream family sedan and econobox with standard ESP (and side curtain bags). 2006, not 2010, is NOW.

What's impressive is how Hyundai is the CURRENT safety king by having the only mainstream family sedan and econobox with standard ESP (and side curtain bags). 2006, not 2010, is NOW.

Then that just makes Hyundai the "Value King" for the compact & midsize markets. The Elantra & Sonata both have direct competitors that offer the same safety features (Corolla & Camry both immediately come to mind) and have been doing so longer than Hyundai. Unfortunately for Hyundai, People are already willing to pay more for a Toyota.

Do Hyundais offer "Pre-Collison detection?"

Does the ESP on Hyundai's CUVs have the same capabilities as Ford's "Rollover Control System?"

Do the Sonata and Azera offer Knee airbags like the Camry & Avalon?

There are safer vehicles for people to drive other than Hyundais. Even in their given markets. We can also reference the side-impact protection results you posted. The brand new Azera did not take the top score. A less expensive 18 year old W-Body based Impala scored higher than the Azera. The Azera also scored below the Toyota Avalon, which it competes directly with.

Hyundais are "feature rich" when looking at base trims, but (IMO) lose any type of status other than "value" or "budget" once they are stacked next to the actual leaders in their respected classes.

Then that just makes Hyundai the "Value King" for the compact & midsize markets. The Elantra & Sonata both have direct competitors that offer the same safety features (Corolla & Camry both immediately come to mind) and have been doing so longer than Hyundai. Unfortunately for Hyundai, People are already willing to pay more for a Toyota.

Do Hyundais offer "Pre-Collison detection?"

Does the ESP on Hyundai's CUVs have the same capabilities as Ford's "Rollover Control System?"

Do the Sonata and Azera offer Knee airbags like the Camry & Avalon?

There are safer vehicles for people to drive other than Hyundais. Even in their given markets. We can also reference the side-impact protection results you posted. The brand new Azera did not take the top score. A less expensive 18 year old W-Body based Impala scored higher than the Azera. The Azera also scored below the Toyota Avalon, which it competes directly with. 

Hyundais are "feature rich" when looking at base trims, but (IMO) lose any type of status other than "value" or "budget" once they are stacked next to the actual leaders in their respected classes.

It's "safety for the masses" then.

Hyundai expects to sell more than 350,000 ESC-equipped vehicles in

the 2007 model year -- more than Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz,

Porsche or Volvo.

Well I was seriously thinking about buying a BMW, but now that I know this wonderful fact, I will buy a Hyundai instead.

Damn, that's almost as bad as Toyota's marketting.

Let's compare that number to another mainstream make, and not a luxury make.

Vehicle Stability Assist is standard on all Honda CRVs, Odysseys, Pilots, Ridgelines, S2000s, and V6 Accords. It doesn't look it's an option on Civics or 4cyl Accords though, which is Honda's primary sellers. Among the VSA models, Honda sold a total of 54,326 last month, not including the V6 Accord (which I don't know how to get an accurate number for). That would probably be well over 700,000 VSA Hondas for a year. And there's a definate possibility of Honda making VSA standard on all Accords as the Accord is due for its Full model change within a year. Depending on how much of a response Hyundai gets from this, they may even make it an option for the Civic.

It is good that Hyundai is offering this on inexpensive vehicles though. I think they should stress that the most, rather than comparing the volume. Being able to get a cheapo 18,000 sedan with VSA is a good thing.

Then again, how many people with underpowered 4cyl compacts really need vehicle stability control?

And, how well does their system work?