2024 Chevrolet Trax

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I have to question why when the Suzuki SX4 awd subcompact was so popular that Chevrolet would not offer it in at least the Active trim level. It is a weird thing to have an Active time and not have AWD.

1 hour ago, David said:

I have to question why when the Suzuki SX4 awd subcompact was so popular that Chevrolet would not offer it in at least the Active trim level. It is a weird thing to have an Active time and not have AWD.

I have to question why anyone would assume that the SX4 was ever popular lol? It was neat little car back then but I would not ever call it popular.

Also, the new Trax is a huge improvement over the previous model but the lack of AWD is baffling. There is also the obvious overlap with the Trailblazer. This appears to be larger yet seats $2K cheaper than the Trailblazer. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

I have to question why anyone would assume that the SX4 was ever popular lol? It was neat little car back then but I would not ever call it popular.

Also, the new Trax is a huge improvement over the previous model but the lack of AWD is baffling. There is also the obvious overlap with the Trailblazer. This appears to be larger yet seats $2K cheaper than the Trailblazer. 

Around here in the greater Seattle area you see a ton of SX4 as they are the cheap awd auto to have to go up snowboarding/skiing of the youth. Maybe it is a local thing, but they did sell here very well to where you see them every day still.

Speaking of Suzuki SX4s,  hadn't noticed one in years, but I saw probably a half dozen around SW NY and NW PA a couple weeks ago... had to google them because I couldn't remember the name...funky little wagons. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, David said:

Around here in the greater Seattle area you see a ton of SX4 as they are the cheap awd auto to have to go up snowboarding/skiing of the youth. Maybe it is a local thing, but they did sell here very well to where you see them every day still.

There, sure, but overall they did not sell well and for very long. That's what I am saying here.

image.thumb.png.2719193b66e08858de3ba513b9d6a7d6.png

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1

@surreal1272 @Robert Hall Thanks for posting Surreal, I think Suzuki missed a bigger opportunity with that AWD sub-compact car. I have to agree with you and after reading Roberts Post, think in snow states and mountain areas they were probably the big selling areas compared to the rest of the US. Course.

I myself did not know much about or even that Suzuki sold autos till I heard they were closing down their dealerships of which 6 were affected here in Washington. So clearly, they failed to Market much at all.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:57 PM, surreal1272 said:

my car sales tenure as a career about 10 years ago meant selling new Suzukis. the SX4 had a LOT of interest, being a compact and inexpensive all wheel drive.  It wasn't built exactly in a way that would have made it popular as a Chevrolet.  Ultimately a lot of people didn't buy it because it was a new niche brand in the US, despite what you told customers about it being a hugely successful Japanese manufacturer for many years.  I definitely wanted an SX4 for awhile when i had my Cobalt.  The SX4 really was a neat vehicle but for many just a bit too small.  Still i think as a template for a similar vehicle today (just one that would give more of an impression of holding up in a crash and a little bit bigger and sturdier) it was an innovator in the US market.  I agree with the people that suggest for GM to have a decent Impreza competitor would be a good idea.  (without the bad Subaru engines).  The Trailblazer is a good entry in its own way but less of a tall lean hatchback and more of a butch SUV.  The SX4 never really had an SUV aura to it, it was more of a go anywhere hatchback aura.  Strangely, the previous Trax didn't really feel like that same sort of thing.

Its very hard to bring a new brand to this market.  Because everyone gets nervous and go gets a toyota.

I do actually believe 100% that the SX4 influenced the market of small AWD vehicles in the USA.....I doubt GM would have had the Encore on the market, for example, if it weren't for interest in small AWD vehicles like the SX4.

Edited by regfootball
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David said:

@surreal1272 @Robert Hall Thanks for posting Surreal, I think Suzuki missed a bigger opportunity with that AWD sub-compact car. I have to agree with you and after reading Roberts Post, think in snow states and mountain areas they were probably the big selling areas compared to the rest of the US. Course.

I myself did not know much about or even that Suzuki sold autos till I heard they were closing down their dealerships of which 6 were affected here in Washington. So clearly, they failed to Market much at all.

Suzuki had very little marketing budget or efforts.  They would have sold more with better factory incentives, but Suzuki USA's hands were tied with resources and staff and could offer very little.  Japan pulled the strings for what Suzuki got to do for marketing here and they were very cheap about it.  Suzuki USA had very few employees actually, the whole operation was given very little to work with.  The Japanese ownership didn't understand what it took to get sales in the USA.

• Thanks 1