Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Philosophically speaking, are you happy?

no... i miss someone too much for me to be truly happy...

tho that doesnt mean im depressed and all emo all the time... its just that one part of my life that doesnt make me happy... the rest is awesome

no... i miss someone too much for me to be truly happy...

tho that doesnt mean im depressed and all emo all the time... its just that one part of my life that doesnt make me happy... the rest is awesome

I hear that. Generally I feel things could be a lot worse and I'm happy and thankful for that, but there's something (someone) missing.

Guest YellowJacket894

I hear that. Generally I feel things could be a lot worse and I'm happy and thankful for that, but there's something (someone) missing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Things are going to look the same for me shortly.

Girlfriend's moving.

Sounds just like me...things aren't bad, but they'd be better with a special someone.

No, no, no.

My freshman year in college was pure hell. Commuting on a train at least 2 hours every weekend was horrible. Not having more than 2 friends was torture. Switching my major was a trip. Not getting the classes I needed or wanted was not fun. My grades are hilarious. I did not get my dream summer job. The cards were pretty stacked against me the past 9 months and at point I was so deeply depressed I thought about stepping in front of an Amtrak train. Nothing was going my way, not even a little bit. I asked myself a rhetorical question every time something happened: What else is new?

Now that summer is here my mood has brightened but I still miss actually having friends and even though I was loving the single life after a 3 1/2 year relationship, I have wanted that certain someone for a few months now, probably as a reaction to not having any contact with friends.

So that's my life. Sorry to bore you all but I had to tell someone. I've kept it hidden for the past couple of months.

Not really. I mean, I have a lot to be thankful for, but I'm really stressed. I live from one trip to the next because, when I'm somewhere else, I forget about everything. I used to take work/school mentally with me on trips and now I don't. I suppose that's progress.

Work - good God. My firm has had a "brain drain." All of the brightest and best people (the middle management layer on the promo track) has left. We lost over 1/4 of our employees in the first 5 months of this year and I suspect more are leaving. Some were my friends. To counter that, we've hired and made some changes that I don't see as being wise...morale is kind of 'effed up right now. In fact, I just got a new boss...from the outside whereas 2 months ago I was working independently. It's not a reflection of my work...it's just that somebody merged their practice into our firm and they gave him some concessions. The saving feature is that I like just about everybody there...in fact, I love some of the people there. (There is just one angry dyke with an edge I can't stand and neither can anyone else). I can totally be myself (a buffoon with an irreverent personality and a million inside jokes with people) and people deal with it or flip me &#036;h&#33;. I have a group of friends I go to lunch with that are as nuts as I am. I will miss them when the time comes to leave. We are multi-office so there is also a Las Vegas presence and the people there are a blast as well. This is great compared to a firm I worked at in the Seattle area where the smug rain-soaked a-holes that worked there couldn't deal with my opinionated and outspoken nature and I'm sure were glad when I left. That brings up the Jimmy Buffett song (Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude).

School - I'm doing a grad program at night. It's really stretching me. After May 15th, I felt like I was going to collapse. I have a larger plan so this must be finished. There aren't many people I'm nuts about in the program. Nobody I dislike but nobody I really want to know either. Two more night semesters to go! It's the thought of sleeping on beaches on the Mediterranean next summer for 1.5 months that keeps me going.

Personal - I have no one in my life (romantically) and that's fine. I don't know why that's fine but for now it is. I have friends and I know nice people so that buffers it.

Guys, I've seen some concerning posts up above. If you get to be in a bad way or a funk that lasts TOO long, you should seek professional help. Seriously, if you don't ask, you don't get. There is nothing to be ashamed about. Life is full of &#036;h&#33; and sometimes the dosing is not equitable. Some things are too big to absorb. I had a rotten 2003 when my mother was hesitant to do an equitable estate plan to provide equally for her 2 kids. I saw I side of my mother I've never seen before. The reason: she wants to appease the sibling that lives in her immediate area as I tend to live in other states and she is getting older and does not want to alienate him....is it any wonder I live elsewhere? I didn't back down until it was fixed. My rapport with my mother is permanently damaged and I spend very little time with her when I go up North over a long weekend or a holiday.

SciGuy - I like your modified sig - hehe

Usonia - what brought this idea on?

Everybody take care, ok.

Edited by trinacriabob

Yes'n'no.

I don't think I really need to explain.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Who's gonna hold me tonight?" ... Trace Adkins ... 'Help Me Understand'

I'll examine the positives first:

I just typed it all out and weighed it against the negatives, then deleted the whole thing. I thought it all out and agreed that I have it pretty good. The negatives are nothing more than annoyances or setbacks that others might think would be absolutely nothing to complain about. That said, it could be better, but it could be FAR worse.

Why not be happy? Things happen everyday that change your life forever.

Good things and Bad things happen there is no stoping that. So take life as it comes and except it. It can always be better and it can be worse. Also Money does not equal happiness. so you have a mansion ans a Enzo in the driveway. theres more to happiness than materialistic stuff. So first year of college sucked its bound to get better.

So yeah im overall happy. Tonight am I no but I know I will be sometime in the future.

So can some one please explain way people have severe depression. we all get depressed at some point but how can some people fell so hopeless?

am i happy... no...

its been quite a while since i've considered myself to be happy, i've been depressed for many years, sucidal before that...

i'd say anyone in my possition right now would be the happiest person in the world... but to me, i have nothing worth anything...

haha i guess a henry ford quote comes to mind "Think you can, think you can't; either way, you'll be right. -- Henry Ford "

some people say i've got a split personality... so some days i'm the happiest guy in the world, sometimes i feel like the lonliest...

i guess, its been a lot of things, had a great childhood, or so it seemed, then one day it was all taken away, all at once, and i've been miserable ever since...

haha, my sister went to college, and a few months later in the same day both my grandfathers died, a few months later my dad sold his yacht that i loved spending time with him... things got pretty discomboulated for me, then i fell in love, and ditched my best friend for the girl of my dreams... so i lost my best friend, then i lost the girl, then i had no one, and it maintained that way for 4 years... and durring that time my grandmother died, and my uncle a year later died... then one day, i started to hang out, it wasnt quite the same as it was when we were kids, but... hes my best and only friend... hes like a brother to me, and im the brother he never had. recently his mom just died... but things are starting to look up... hopefully things start getting better, we just got back from hawaii and i had the best time of my life!

Edited by Newbiewar

No, no, no.

My freshman year in college was pure hell.  Commuting on a train at least 2 hours every weekend was horrible.  Not having more than 2 friends was torture.  Switching my major was a trip.  Not getting the classes I needed or wanted was not fun.  My grades are hilarious.  I did not get my dream summer job.  The cards were pretty stacked against me the past 9 months and at point I was so deeply depressed I thought about stepping in front of an Amtrak train.  Nothing was going my way, not even a little bit.  I asked myself a rhetorical question every time something happened:  What else is new?

Now that summer is here my mood has brightened but I still miss actually having friends and even though I was loving the single life after a 3 1/2 year relationship, I have wanted that certain someone for a few months now, probably as a reaction to not having any contact with friends.

So that's my life.  Sorry to bore you all but I had to tell someone.  I've kept it hidden for the past couple of months.

My job sounds like your school...it's been a rough year... :(

I just wish I could afford to go back to school... :(

And I care. It's good just to get it out. That alone can be a good start.... :)

Certain aspects..Yes. Other aspects..NO.

Love life, I have an awesome woman in my life, but we live 112 miles from eachother and right now neither of us have our own vehicles so we miss eachother alot at times.

The other aspects of my life could be better and I wish I could get back into school, but default student loans prevent that :(

No, but I remain optimistic. I got fired on Friday without warning (we all felt when the new manager started that he was told to clean house by upper management, and it's happening), but then I called a former coworker who works at another local dealership bodyshop. I go in for a second interview there tomorrow morning, they seem very interested in me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I will miss "my" guy something awful. This will be a test to see if our friendship was real or just a matter of convenience.

This has been a tumultuous weekend for me, to say the least.

No, but I remain optimistic.  I got fired on Friday without warning (we all felt when the new manager started that he was told to clean house by upper management, and it's happening), but then I called a former coworker who works at another local dealership bodyshop.  I go in for a second interview there tomorrow morning, they seem very interested in me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I will miss "my" guy something awful.  This will be a test to see if our friendship was real or just a matter of convenience.

This has been a tumultuous weekend for me, to say the least.

WTF? Unbelievable. Was your place acquired into one of those automotive chains or something? Why did you get new management in the first place? Try to keep your chin up.

No, they weren't bought out by anyone. Since I started there in January, '03, I've had 4 managers. The last one before the latest left because he purchased his own shop. Before he left, the word creeping through the office was that the new manager would be asked to be a "hatchet man". This has been borne out. The writing was on the wall, but for some crazy reason I hoped I would be immune because of my work ethic. I was so obviously wrong.

I am thankful for the support of my family. Just because I worked there, my brother bought a new '03 Silverado there and came back for warranty work. My father bought a new '04 Silverado there and came back for warranty work. I bought my Colorado there. My mother bought her new Cobalt there and came back for oil changes and warranty work. My father brought two of his vehicles there for body repair. When my brother totalled his old truck, it was brought there. A cousin brought her Jeep there for body repair. I had body repair done to my ION there. My mother brought her Cobalt there for tape stripes.

I have written and sold untold thousands of dollars of body repair for them.

We will not spend another dime there.

Edited by ocnblu

That sucks! I've seen this happen at many dealerships in and around my area. The new manager has to show his/her "stuff." Loyalty and hard work count for little any more. Weak managers just want a bunch of "yes" men/women.

I've been fired before (had a power struggle in my own company and my family ganged up on me!), but it is always for the best.

A year from now you will look back and be glad this happened.

We have a saying at my dealership. When we are introduced to a new manager, of whatever department, I always shake their hand and say:

"OF ALL THE MANAGERS I HAVE MET, YOU ARE THE MOST RECENT."

Profound, funny and the longer I stay in this business, the more true I realize that saying is.

If you look at all aspects of your life, on balance, are you happy?

There were a few 'dark clouds' over the last 4 and a half years, but I feel happier than ever!

EDIT - @ ocnblu: best of luck with your job search.

Edited by ZL-1

I will miss "my" guy something awful.  This will be a test to see if our friendship was real or just a matter of convenience.

I'm not sure what your full deal is with him (or if you're even sure yourself) but not being his co-worker could be a great opportunity for you.

My relationship with my girlfriend is kind of sketchy

as of the past few days but between my wonderful

little daughter who is a really great little person &

my recent acquisition of a classic GM car means I

can't complain too much.

Isn't happiness legally mandated out there? :lol:

Well, the facade or pretense of happiness is. Since I now live quite a ways north of there, I've joined the world of "regular people" but I am permanently scarred, for better or worse, for having spent my formative years in La-la-land.

Well, the facade or pretense of happiness is.  Since I now live quite a ways north of there, I've joined the world of "regular people" but I am permanently scarred, for better or worse, for having spent my formative years in La-la-land.

WORD. Everyone fakes it out there...and yes I'm in Indiana currently.

No, everything's going right :) Loving it!

Well, I'm not sure.

I tend to be overly grumpy, but since I'm conscious of that I take all nusiances with a grain of salt.

That said, my wife got hit with amnesia a couple weeks back and can't remember anything that happened before this month.

Other than that, my life is pretty average.

well school was tough this year, but I have a great group of friends that got me through it.

CANCER SUCKS. I have a cousin that I am really close with that is dealing with testicular cancer. He is only 28 and things aren't looking so good. He has a 10 month old little boy and a beautiful wife that need him. I pray every day that he won't be taken away from them and again my friends keep me on the cheary side even though it is pretty much all I can think about.

I have become very laid back in the last few years and have learned to just take each day as it comes. Some suck and some are wonderful and life is like that. You have to take the good with the bad. This weekend I was down in the cities and while we were there I got to go out into the woods and try to catch fireflies with my little sister...how much more fun could I ask for.

Overall, I would say YES, I am happy. Despite what happens, I try to maintain a optomistic attitude about everything that happens in life. It makes each day a little bit better that it would have been.