Chevrolet News:An Electrified and All-Wheel Drive Corvette Appears for Corvette's 70th Birthday

70 years ago today, the first Corvette debuted at Motorama in New York City, so for the 70th birthday of the Corvette, Chevy unveiled the 2024 Corvette E-Ray, an all-wheel drive hybrid capable of 0-60 in just 2.5 seconds.

large.2024-chevrolet-corvette-e-ray-3lz-009.jpgThe E-Ray is billed as an all-season Corvette, so naturally, it is available in a removable roof coupe or hardtop convertible configuration.  The eAWD is two separate power trains in one car, naturally aspirated V8 in the rear and electric driving the front, a first for the sports car segment.  The small block V-8 produces 495 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque for the rear wheels, while the electric motor up front contributes an additional 160 horsepower and 125 lb-ft of torque. When called for, the combined powertrains produce 655 horsepower, making the E-Ray the fastest production Corvette ever made, clocking through the quarter-mile at 10.5 seconds.  Power is stored in a small 1.9 kWh battery pack sandwiched between the seats. (For reference, the original 1997 Prius had a 1.78 kWh battery.)

The two power systems are entirely independent. All battery charging comes from the regenerative energy from coasting and braking during normal driving.
In making the Corvette a hybrid, Chevy has leaned heavily more on the performance improvement side of the spectrum over fuel economy. The Corvette can maintain electric driving up to 45 mph when placed in “Stealth Mode”, though the range for that only 5 miles. Additionally, the car can lean on the electric motors to keep the active-fuel-management V8 in 4-cylinder mode for more extended periods.

large.2024-chevrolet-corvette-e-ray-3lz-019.jpgThere are six available driver modes, Tour, Sport, Track, Weather, My Mode, and Z-Mode.  Additionally, there is a Charge+ feature to tell the car to focus on recharging the battery.
Coming in with a base MSRP of $104,295, the E-Ray gains some additional features above and beyond the eAWD hybrid system. These features include:

• New lightweight lithium-ion 12-volt battery that supports the LT2 V-8 engine’s stop/start functionality
  • Standard Brembo Carbon Ceramic brake system for optimal braking performance
  • Standard Magnetic Ride Control 4.0 with three distinct suspension settings
  • Staggered 20- and 21-inch wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport all-season tires. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires2 are available with an optional performance package
  • Low, wide stance with crafted body styling that is 3.6 inches wider overall than Stingray
  • Visceral sound experience that embodies the car’s dominating presence. The electric front motor works in harmony with the LT2 engine to create an invigorating sound
  • Enhanced roster of driver assistance technologies (shared with all 2024 Corvette models), including Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning3, Forward Collision Alert and Automatic Emergency Braking.
  • Four aluminum wheel finishes
  • Fourteen exterior color choices — including new for 2024 Riptide Blue, Seawolf Gray and Cacti
  • An E-Ray-exclusive body-length stripe package in Electric Blue
  • Standard carbon flash badging
  • Available black exhaust tips and bright badging
  • Available carbon fiber ground effects
  • Optional carbon fiber wheels in carbon flash, visible carbon fiber finish or visible carbon fiber with a red stripe

The E-Ray offers seven interior colors, including an all-new Artemis Dipped interior with deep green tones, debuting on the E-Ray, but available on all 2024 Corvettes.

The 2024 Corvette E-Ray goes on sale in late 2023 and is being produced at Corvette’s traditional home in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Performance and Specifications on Page 2

PERFORMANCE

0-60 mph:

2.5 seconds (approx.)

Quarter-mile:

10.5 @ 130 mph (209 km/h) (approx.)

Max Lateral G Force:

1.1g

ENGINE

Type:

LT2 6.2L V-8 VVT with direct injection and Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and Stop/Start

Bore & stroke (in. / mm):

4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92

Block Material:

A319-T7 cast aluminum with cast-in iron cylinder liners and nodular main bearing caps

Oiling System:

Dry sump-type (7.5-qt. capacity); includes oil-spray piston cooling

Oil Type:

Dexos 2 0W40 synthetic

Cylinder Head Material:

319-T7 cast aluminum

Combustion Chamber Volume:

59cc

Compression Ratio:

11.5:1

Valvetrain:

Overhead valve, two valves per cylinder; dual-equal variable valve timing

Valve Size (in. / mm):

2.13 / 54 hollow (intake) & 1.59 / 40.4 sodium filled (exhaust)

Fuel Delivery:

Direct injection with Active Fuel Management: Max pressure: 2,900 psi (20 Mpa / 200 bar)

Firing Order:

1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 (all cylinders); 1-7-6-4 (with deactivation)

Throttle Body:

87mm single bore (electronic)

ECU:

GM E99 (32-bit processing)

Horsepower (hp / kW):

495 / 369 @ 6450 rpm

Torque (lb.-ft. / Nm):

470 / 637 @ 5150 rpm

TRANSMISSION & AXLE

Type:

MLH 8-speed dual clutch (DCT)

ELECTRIFICATION SYSTEM

Type:

Single motor and gearset

Motor:

Permanent magnetic drive motor

Power:

160 hp / 120 kW

Torque (lb.-ft. / Nm):

125 / 165 @ motor

Battery Type:

Lithium-ion

Energy:

1.9 kWh

Combined Power (with engine):

655 hp / 481 kW

CHASSIS & SUSPENSION

Front Suspension:

FE5 Short/long arm (SLA) double wishbone, forged aluminum upper and cast aluminum L-shape lower control arms; monotube shock absorbers; Magnetic Selective Ride Control 4.0. Adjustable front lift with memory is available

Rear Suspension:

FE5 Short/long arm (SLA) double wishbone, forged aluminum upper and cast aluminum L-shape lower control arms; direct-acting stabilizer bar; monotube shock absorbers; Magnetic Selective Ride Control 4.0

Steering Type:

Variable-ratio rack-and-pinion with electric power assist; includes Active Steer Stops with Magnetic Ride Control 4.0

Steering ratio:

15.7:1

Turning Circle (ft. / m):

36.4 / 11.1

Brake Type:

Front and rear eBoost-assisted carbon ceramic discs with Brembo six-piston/monobloc front calipers and four-piston/monobloc rear calipers

Brake Rotor Size (in. / mm):

Front: 15.7 x 1.5  / 398 x 38

Rear: 15.4 x 1.3 / 391 x 34

Wheel Size:

Front: 20-inch x 10-inch (w/5 x 120mm bolt pattern)

Rear: 21-inch x 13-inch (w/5 x 120mm bolt pattern)

Tire Size:

Front: 275/30ZR20

Rear: 345/25ZR21

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS

Wheelbase (in. / mm):

107.2 / 2722

Overall Length (in. / mm):

184.6 / 4699

Overall Width (in. / mm):

79.7 / 2025

Overall Height (in. / mm):

48.6 / 1235

Track (in. / mm):

Front: 66.3 / 1685

Rear: 66.1 / 1678

INTERIOR DIMENSIONS

Headroom (in. / mm):

37.9 / 962

Legroom (in. / mm):

42.8 / 1087

Shoulder Room (in. / mm):

54.4 / 1382

Hip Room (in. / mm):

52 / 1321

WEIGHTS & CAPACITIES

Dry Weight (lb. / kg):

3774 / 1712 (coupe)

3856 / 1749 (convertible)

Cargo Volume (cu. ft. / L):

12.5 / 355

FUEL TANK CAPACITY (approx.)

18.5 gal. / 70 liters

View full article

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Well hell. The next step words an EV only Vette is finally here. Adding AWD to this setup is going to make it a beat on the track! I want to see some raw numbers on this one.

Correction: That should read "Well hell. The next step towards an EV only Vette is finally here."

• Agree 1

@surreal1272 Going to be a hoot to see how this does against the Italian cars and on the German Track as well as other tracks. I expect this to be class leading compared to all others. 

Course we already know that someone will say that other brands cars are RWD so you cannot compare it to them since it is AWD. LOL future goal post moving predicted. 😝

• Haha 1

Cool, it will have a reduced size, lite weight Lithium-ion battery to handle start/stop functionality.

For those that fit in the car, it should be a hoot to drive! 

corvette deal with it GIF

Driving All-New GIF by Chevrolet

I only read the main details but I like this.  AWD hybrid is always a plus.  And I wonder if they wouldn’t be well served to make all Corvettes hybrid in the coming years maybe post 2025 and you could do a turbo 4 in back with this electric motor up front and that would still make the power of the current V8 but get them much more mpg and help on the CAFE and emissions side.

• Facepalm 1

31 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I only read the main details but I like this.  AWD hybrid is always a plus.  And I wonder if they wouldn’t be well served to make all Corvettes hybrid in the coming years maybe post 2025 and you could do a turbo 4 in back with this electric motor up front and that would still make the power of the current V8 but get them much more mpg and help on the CAFE and emissions side.

You were doing fine until you mentioned "turbo 4". Full stop on that silliness. I want you to pay special attention to the following statement made by an actual Corvette engineer.

"Why isn't there an electric motor somewhere in the rear of the car? There simply isn't enough room between the engine and transmission, and the team wasn't about to go down to a V-6, says chief engineer Josh Holder."

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You were doing fine until you mentioned "turbo 4". Full stop on that silliness. I want you to pay special attention to the following statement made by an actual Corvette engineer.

"Why isn't there an electric motor somewhere in the rear of the car? There simply isn't enough room between the engine and transmission, and the team wasn't about to go down to a V-6, says chief engineer Josh Holder."

I assume they are just going to stick with the V8 until ICE is killed off, maybe GM can make up their CAFE and emissions requirements elsewhere and doesn't care what the Corvette does.  But it is possible to make a 4-cylinder hybrid that makes more horsepower and torque than this V8 hybrid, because it is has already been done.  But if they need to get higher MPG out of the Corvette, or want to sell in other countries that have displacement taxes, they could easily replace the base 6.2 V8 with a 2.7T they have in house, add the same electric motor and end up with  around 500 hp/500 lb-ft.  Then you get AWD hybrids on every model, add it to the Z06 even.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

maybe post 2025 and you could do a turbo 4 in back with this electric motor up front and that would still

That is such a Mercedes thing to do.  Not saying its right or wrong. Just saying Mercedes has done this before. 

Howevere, àwhat I find humurous is...if Corvette actually done something like this, the haters of American cars, much like yourself, would  non-stop denounce such a move.   

I would like to know, why on earth would Corvette do such a move?   General Motors already said that they will  go all electric by 2030.   For EPA purposes?   Corvette is a low volume seller by GM standards and its a sports car therefore iuts a niche vehicle. The few V8s sold as compared to the amount of EVs sold by GM will not affect EPA numbers for GM.   There is absolutely no reason to eliminate the V8 from the Corvette before the Corvette becomes fully electric.  

And a little detail you have missed which makes your 4 cylinder route kinda moot...because the electric motor fills in when the ICE is put into 4 cylinder cut-off mode... 

Technology being put to good use to keep on V8ing along until the internal combustion engine is completely gone...

I guess it was more important for Mercedes to toot that they have the most powerful 4 cylinder?   I guess that is one way of doing it.   I guess you will tell me that Mercedes' way is better because its your favorite brand going in that direction...   Whatever...  THIS is GM's way.    You either accept it or you dont.   But the thing is, GM doesnt need to sacrifice their V8 in the Corvette.  Its a solution that they favour...   Mercedes had its reasons to drop the V8s in their AMGs and go 4 cylinder.  Its a solution THEY favoured.   

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42524902/corvette-e-ray/

The hybrid system also works in tandem with Active Fuel Management by torque-filling in four-cylinder mode, which limits full-engine startups. GM’s suite of driver assistance technologies is shared across the Corvette lineup.

32 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

That is such a Mercedes thing to do.  Not saying its right or wrong. Just saying Mercedes has done this before. 

Howevere, àwhat I find humurous is...if Corvette actually done something like this, the haters of American cars, much like yourself, would  non-stop denounce such a move.   

I would like to know, why on earth would Corvette do such a move?   General Motors already said that they will  go all electric by 2030.   For EPA purposes?   Corvette is a low volume seller by GM standards and its a sports car therefore iuts a niche vehicle. The few V8s sold as compared to the amount of EVs sold by GM will not affect EPA numbers for GM.   There is absolutely no reason to eliminate the V8 from the Corvette before the Corvette becomes fully electric.  

And a little detail you have missed which makes your 4 cylinder route kinda moot...because the electric motor fills in when the ICE is put into 4 cylinder cut-off mode... 

Technology being put to good use to keep on V8ing along until the internal combustion engine is completely gone...

I guess it was more important for Mercedes to toot that they have the most powerful 4 cylinder?   I guess that is one way of doing it.   I guess you will tell me that Mercedes' way is better because its your favorite brand going in that direction...   Whatever...  THIS is GM's way.    You either accept it or you dont.   But the thing is, GM doesnt need to sacrifice their V8 in the Corvette.  Its a solution that they favour...   Mercedes had its reasons to drop the V8s in their AMGs and go 4 cylinder.  Its a solution THEY favoured.   

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42524902/corvette-e-ray/

The hybrid system also works in tandem with Active Fuel Management by torque-filling in four-cylinder mode, which limits full-engine startups. GM’s suite of driver assistance technologies is shared across the Corvette lineup.

If the C8 is the last Corvette with an ICE power plant then they might as well just continue on with the V8.  And I never said get rid of the V8, I said do a 4 cylinder hybrid in the base car, and still do the V8 Z06 and V8 E-ray.  

Although in thinking about it, while I like the V8 hybrid idea, this is like a $30k price premium to add the hybrid, which seems like a lot.

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 2

34 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

this is like a $30k price premium to add the hybrid, which seems like a lot.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  Not because the E-Ray is too much per se.   Its the tech that eats the affordability.  There is too  much of a gap bewteen the base C8 and not enough gap from the Z06.   Base price for the Stingray is $60 000.   The Z06 starts at $106 000.  The E-Ray starts at $104 000.    

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I assume they are just going to stick with the V8 until ICE is killed off, maybe GM can make up their CAFE and emissions requirements elsewhere and doesn't care what the Corvette does.  But it is possible to make a 4-cylinder hybrid that makes more horsepower and torque than this V8 hybrid, because it is has already been done.  But if they need to get higher MPG out of the Corvette, or want to sell in other countries that have displacement taxes, they could easily replace the base 6.2 V8 with a 2.7T they have in house, add the same electric motor and end up with  around 500 hp/500 lb-ft.  Then you get AWD hybrids on every model, add it to the Z06 even.

And again see above statement, by an actual Corvette engineer, as to why you really need to stop beating this dead four banger horse where the Vette is concerned. Not even as an option. 

Edited by surreal1272

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  Not because the E-Ray is too much per se.   It’s the tech that eats the affordability.  There is too  much of a gap bewteen the base C8 and not enough gap from the Z06.   Base price for the Stingray is $60 000.   The Z06 starts at $106 000.  The E-Ray starts at $104 000.    

The E-ray has some stuff standard that a Stingray doesn’t, but you could equip a Stingray for $70-75k and get what the E-Ray has at $105k.  Toyota puts an electric motor on the rear axel of the Venza, Sienna and Highlander and I think it is standard on all of them.  Throwing an electric motor on an axle doesn’t cost that much.  If it was a $15-20k gap I could see that being reasonable.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The E-ray has some stuff standard that a Stingray doesn’t, but you could equip a Stingray for $70-75k and get what the E-Ray has at $105k

Really? You can get an extra 155HP and AWD on a $70-75K Vette? That must be news to me…and Chevrolet. 

Sorry but you can’t cherry pick your way through this one. 

I personally seem zero issue with the E-Ray pricing here. Think about it. The E-Ray opens up the Vette to a new batch of buyers who might not want to roll in a RWD only Z-06. It’s called “options” and by keeping them at similar price points, they can appeal to both buyers without the uptick in price for the “privilege” of electric. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Throwing an electric motor on an axle doesn’t cost that much.  If it was a $15-20k gap I could see that being reasonable.

Okay, civility is done here. Are you out of your damn mind? Did you really equate the E-Ray with what Toyota does? Just stop commenting if you're going to do nothing but make troll statements like that because it is not grounded in reality in any way. You clearly HAVE NOT read all the details of this particular hybrid and it shows. A lot of folks give your fanboy remarks here a wide birth here but not when you say completely asinine stuff like the above remarks. If this were a Benz, you wouldn't have $h! to say here because you spend far less time on threads about your favorite brand than you with anything NOT Mercedes. Think about that for more than a minute.

Okay, back to civility lol. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Although in thinking about it, while I like the V8 hybrid idea, this is like a $30k price premium to add the hybrid, which seems like a lot.

It is a lot but it's also running with the Z06 in a straight line and likely pretty dang comparable around a track adding AWD. 

Didn't the AMGs/Ms skyrocket once they added AWD to the E63/M5?

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It is a lot but it's also running with the Z06 in a straight line and likely pretty dang comparable around a track adding AWD. 

Didn't the AMGs/Ms skyrocket once they added AWD to the E63/M5?

Yes they did skyrocket but again, crickets chirping on those subjects. Also, given the numbers the E-Ray is going to be put out, by all accounts it should cost MORE than the Z06 but as I said earlier, it was smart of GM to NOT do that because now you have equal choices for the old school crowd AND the new school crowd. There is literally nothing wrong with the E-Ray price being $30K higher than the base Vette. It's that simple and not one person here needs to explain to the Mercedes fan why that is so since he clearly is not interested in any actual facts, only that Chevrolet just slapped an electric motor to the rear wheels and called it a day. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

Also, with what people are willing to pay for Corvettes right now and with demand exceeding production, there's no reason to make it cheaper, even if they could. They may be able to price this at 90k but know they can't produce enough as it is so they'll create less demand and still profit as much as possible. 

There will always be early adaptors and people that want the newest thing. I'll be more curious how this sells in it's 3rd model year. I think it'll do just fine but it is an interesting change for the Vette. 

E-Ray is an awesome way to start getting both old and new fans to look at what is coming as GM moves to EVs for everything. 

Yes, I expect the ICE V8 Corvettes to go a long time being I do not expect the Corvette to end ICE production till GM phases out all ICE possibly as early as 2035.

This Hybrid will help pay for the R&D of both cheaper and more expensive versions of EV Corvette.

I think the $104k is a fine price, but you can get a Stingray way cheaper.  If the Stingray base price goes up a bit more then the E-Ray looks like a better deal.

And I can get any base Mercedes far cheaper than their AMG versions (with larger price gaps in some cases) yet...

In other words, what is your point? That literally applies to ALL cars with multiple hi-po versions of it.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Correct, you can get a less equipped car with less performance for less money. That is how things work. 

Be careful saying things that make sense. He is prepping that bar for movement as we speak. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, David said:

E-Ray is an awesome way to start getting both old and new fans to look at what is coming as GM moves to EVs for everything. 

Yes, I expect the ICE V8 Corvettes to go a long time being I do not expect the Corvette to end ICE production till GM phases out all ICE possibly as early as 2035.

This Hybrid will help pay for the R&D of both cheaper and more expensive versions of EV Corvette.

Which would mean the C9 gets and ICE power plant.  They could probably stretch the C8 out to 2030, especially when you look at how long the C4 lasted.  If they do that you can probably move right to EV only, which is what I think they should do.  EV is the future, and if GM wants to get there, it is easier to do on a high end low volume car than making something like an Equinox EV only.

• Facepalm 1

Which would mean the C9 gets and ICE power plant.  They could probably stretch the C8 out to 2030, especially when you look at how long the C4 lasted.  If they do that you can probably move right to EV only, which is what I think they should do.  EV is the future, and if GM wants to get there, it is easier to do on a high end low volume car than making something like an Equinox EV only.

So then why is Mercedes bothering with low end EVs?

Common Sense, if an Auto company wants to get everyone into EVs, then they have to make sure that the common blue collar human can afford an EV.

Equinox achieves this. 

Where is Mercedes version?

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, David said:

So then why is Mercedes bothering with low end EVs?

Common Sense, if an Auto company wants to get everyone into EVs, then they have to make sure that the common blue collar human can afford an EV.

Equinox achieves this. 

Where is Mercedes version?

Low end cars will be the last ones with ICE powertrains due to price.  It is easy to make $100,000 EV's and thus you can kill off your expensive ICE cars.  It isn't easy to make an EV with a $21,000 base price like an Elantra or Corolla.  I agree you have to go all the way through the model lineup with EV's but the cost parity isn't there yet.  

The Equinox EV if they deliver on that around $30k promise would be a great step, but I suspect the gasoline Equinox will be on sale at least another 10 years because it will still be cheaper (at least before you look at tax credits, fuel cost, maintenance, etc).

The Mercedes lower end EV would be the sedan based on the Vision EQXX that is coming in 2025 model year.  They are working top down, have to finish the top and middle range first.

• Facepalm 2

9 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Low end cars will be the last ones with ICE powertrains due to price.  It is easy to make $100,000 EV's and thus you can kill off your expensive ICE cars.  It isn't easy to make an EV with a $21,000 base price like an Elantra or Corolla.  I agree you have to go all the way through the model lineup with EV's but the cost parity isn't there yet.  

The Equinox EV if they deliver on that around $30k promise would be a great step, but I suspect the gasoline Equinox will be on sale at least another 10 years because it will still be cheaper (at least before you look at tax credits, fuel cost, maintenance, etc).

The Mercedes lower end EV would be the sedan based on the Vision EQXX that is coming in 2025 model year.  They are working top down, have to finish the top and middle range first.

Funny. When GM was introducing 100K EV trucks a few months ago, there wasn’t this same leeway given to them that you have presented to for your favorite brand. I wonder why?

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Funny. When GM was introducing 100K EV trucks a few months ago, there wasn’t this same leeway given to them that you have presented for your favorite brand. I wonder why?

Removed a word ("to') and learned a valuable lesson about posting before completing my first cup of coffee. Carry on.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Your response is a FAILURE, You bash American OEMs for releasing high end EVs first and then announce entry level EVs and Yet it is OK for Mercedes to start at the top end with expensive failed EGGs that only badge people are buying. Lacking in Style, Lacking in so many ways.

GM will be eating up Market Share with 800V Ultium autos while Mercedes drags their feet in a 400V mess of pathetic EVs.

Reviews by other sites of comparison show that the entry level and Mid level will be excellent for GM.

2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV vs. Equinox EV: What’s the Difference? (motortrend.com)

Chevrolet has updated their Equinox site so that it is very detailed on what each trim level and options are available including SuperCruise on the Equinox.

The First-Ever All-Electric Chevy Equinox EV: Electric SUV (chevrolet.com) Available Fall 2023

Excellent story covering what the U.S. will get and what Canada will get at Launch.

Chevrolet Equinox EV: Electric compact SUV heading to dealers this year (topelectricsuv.com)

While there is info still missing due to Chevrolet not releasing all details yet, but a good comparison nonetheless.

Compare Chevrolet Equinox vs Chevrolet Equinox EV | CarBuzz

Where is Mercedes answer to this?

The First-Ever Blazer EV: Electric SUV | Chevrolet Available Summer 2023

Excellent comparison of ICE to EV here and you can see that for a small premium the Blazer ICE RS FWD versus the Blazer EV RS RWD is a no brainer, take the EV over the ICE.

Compare Chevrolet Blazer vs Chevrolet Blazer EV vs Chevrolet Blazer EV | CarBuzz

Where is Mercedes Answer to this?

End result is that Mercedes does not have an answer or production to support the full market other than a small production of expensive models which do not seem very popular as while I see a few on the lots, they are not selling here compared to Tesla, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, GM

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, David said:

Your response is a FAILURE, You bash American OEMs for releasing high end EVs first and then announce entry level EVs and Yet it is OK for Mercedes to start at the top end with expensive failed EGGs that only badge people are buying. Lacking in Style, Lacking in so many ways.

GM will be eating up Market Share with 800V Ultium autos while Mercedes drags their feet in a 400V mess of pathetic EVs.

Reviews by other sites of comparison show that the entry level and Mid level will be excellent for GM.

2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV vs. Equinox EV: What’s the Difference? (motortrend.com)

Chevrolet has updated their Equinox site so that it is very detailed on what each trim level and options are available including SuperCruise on the Equinox.

The First-Ever All-Electric Chevy Equinox EV: Electric SUV (chevrolet.com) Available Fall 2023

Excellent story covering what the U.S. will get and what Canada will get at Launch.

Chevrolet Equinox EV: Electric compact SUV heading to dealers this year (topelectricsuv.com)

While there is info still missing due to Chevrolet not releasing all details yet, but a good comparison nonetheless.

Compare Chevrolet Equinox vs Chevrolet Equinox EV | CarBuzz

Where is Mercedes answer to this?

The First-Ever Blazer EV: Electric SUV | Chevrolet Available Summer 2023

Excellent comparison of ICE to EV here and you can see that for a small premium the Blazer ICE RS FWD versus the Blazer EV RS RWD is a no brainer, take the EV over the ICE.

Compare Chevrolet Blazer vs Chevrolet Blazer EV vs Chevrolet Blazer EV | CarBuzz

Where is Mercedes Answer to this?

End result is that Mercedes does not have an answer or production to support the full market other than a small production of expensive models which do not seem very popular as while I see a few on the lots, they are not selling here compared to Tesla, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, GM

I bash companies like Lucid for putting out a $150,000 sedan and saying, but oh wait the $80,000 version will follow shortly then it doesn’t show up.  Or Ford when the Lightning came out, it was going to be $40k base but they basically just made limited trims for 2022 and upped the base price to $53,000 for 2023.  GM is starting with the $105,000 Silverado, so how long before the regular version shows up and at what cost?

I believe on the Equinox though the base model arrives first just as was the case with Cadillac Lyric.  Mercedes did the same with the standard versions first and the AMG follows.  

I actually think GM is going to get it right.  They are using names with recognition like Equinox and Blazer, not crap like EV6 or bz4x.  And GM’s pricing seems to pretty good from what they say but a lot of these GM EV’s are 6-12 months away from dealerships.  

And you look at $40-43k for a VW or Toyota EV, if the Equinox is $33k that’s a huge win, because why pay $45k for a bz4x when you can just get a RAV4 for $30k unless you only want a Toyota and only want an EV.  If the Equinox EV is even $33k with a $3750 tax credit, now it’s back under $30k and that is a no brainer to go EV over gas.

• Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I bash companies like Lucid for putting out a $150,000 sedan and saying, but oh wait the $80,000 version will follow shortly then it doesn’t show up.  Or Ford when the Lightning came out, it was going to be $40k base but they basically just made limited trims for 2022 and upped the base price to $53,000 for 2023.  GM is starting with the $105,000 Silverado, so how long before the regular version shows up and at what cost?

Notice the brand that is missing from your criticisms? I'll give you three guesses but I'm betting you only need one. Their new EVs have started, decidedly, from the top as well yet (and hence why your bar moving AMG reference doesn't fly here)...

Full stop.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

GM is starting with the $105,000 Silverado, so how long before the regular version shows up and at what cost?

Well, you're wrong here. GM is STARTING with the work truck and adding the other trims later this fall. 

"First out of the gate will be the Silverado EV Work Truck (WT), in the spring of 2023. Chevrolet says that, actually, only the version of the WT with the larger battery affording 400 miles of driving range will go on sale then. Later, a sub-400-mile Silverado EV WT that is promised to be the price leader of the lineup—ringing in at $41,595, per Chevy—will arrive.

It isn't yet clear whether the cheapest Silverado EV WT will land before or after the Silverado EV RST models arrive in by fall 2023."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-chevrolet-silverado-ev-pickup-truck-availability-timing/

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Well, you're wrong here. GM is STARTING with the work truck and adding the other trims later this fall. 

"First out of the gate will be the Silverado EV Work Truck (WT), in the spring of 2023. Chevrolet says that, actually, only the version of the WT with the larger battery affording 400 miles of driving range will go on sale then. Later, a sub-400-mile Silverado EV WT that is promised to be the price leader of the lineup—ringing in at $41,595, per Chevy—will arrive.

It isn't yet clear whether the cheapest Silverado EV WT will land before or after the Silverado EV RST models arrive in by fall 2023."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-chevrolet-silverado-ev-pickup-truck-availability-timing/

The Chevrolet website now lists Worktruck and RST available summer 2023.  So perhaps both launch, then the LS, LT, LTZ or whatever they have in the middle follow.

If GM can deliver not the prices they are advertising and not jack that $41k price up to $51k in 2024 like Ford did, I think GM can absolutely slaughter the F150 Lightning.  Likewise with the Equinox vs the id4, bz4x, Mach-E, Ioniq 5, etc.  All those are closer to $50k and they are Equinox size crossovers.  And the other side of the equation is can they ramp up production.  Tesla might built 1 million Model Y's this year, and it seems like everyone has supply constraints and can't meet demand.  I like GM's use other existing product names and their pricing, no one has driven any of these EV's but assuming GM gets that part right too, all that is left is can they crank out volume.

8 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Notice the brand that is missing from your criticisms? I'll give you three guesses but I'm betting you only need one. Their new EVs have started, decidedly, from the top as well yet (and hence why your bar moving AMG reference doesn't fly here)...

Full stop.

Mercedes did EQS first, but the standard trim was out before the AMG.  Just as the EQE 350 hit the market first, the EQE 500 is just now hitting dealers and the AMG is later this year.  They didn't start with the AMG and say the regular one is coming in a year.  And the larger EV platform was ready first, but they do have the EQB so that is a lower end Mercedes EV.   Future A/B-class Mercedes will be on a new mixed powertrain platform that is designed for EV but can accommodate ICE powertrains, and that comes around 2025 or 2026.  

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

Mercedes did EQS first, but the standard trim was out before the AMG.  Just as the EQE 350 hit the market first, the EQE 500 is just now hitting dealers and the AMG is later this year.  They didn't start with the AMG and say the regular one is coming in a year.  And the larger EV platform was ready first, but they do have the EQB so that is a lower end Mercedes EV.   Future A/B-class Mercedes will be on a new mixed powertrain platform that is designed for EV but can accommodate ICE powertrains, and that comes around 2025 or 2026.  

Why are equating the EQS with the AMG versions of it. I am not talking about AMGs at all. I am talking boat EVs period. Mercedes didn't start at the bottom with theirs yet there was zero criticism from you regarding that, a standard you do not apply to everyone else. You weren't even right about GMs plan ($100K trucks first when ccap showed you the exact opposite of that). Mercedes first EV wasn't $40-50K. It was $100K+ for its BASE model EQS. 

Lots of great marketing details, technical and engineering explainations for the E-Ray as compared to the Stingray and Z06 in the video below.   The MSRP of 104 000 should be better understood if one listens to Aaron Link's (Corvette C8 performance manager engineer) answers and understands what he is telling us about the E-Ray. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Loving that they have added ability to build your own e-Ray Corvette and loving the Cacti exterior color and now you can choose the interior color and so I went with the two-tone Cacti interior too.

Very subtle but the green interior with black accents works for me on this car.

2024 Corvette E-Ray.jpgSnag_836c34f.png

2024 Corvette E-Ray (1).jpg

2024 Corvette E-Ray (2).jpg

2024 Corvette E-Ray (3).jpg

2 minutes ago, David said:

Loving that they have added ability to build your own e-Ray Corvette and loving the Cacti exterior color and now you can choose the interior color and so I went with the two-tone Cacti interior too.

Very subtle but the green interior with black accents works for me on this car.

2024 Corvette E-Ray.jpgSnag_836c34f.png

2024 Corvette E-Ray (1).jpg

That interior is definitely one I'll need to see actual pictures of because it looks so close to a grey in the CGI images.  

I bet it looks fantastic in real life but the CGI images don't so it justice, imo. 

38 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That interior is definitely one I'll need to see actual pictures of because it looks so close to a grey in the CGI images.  

I bet it looks fantastic in real life but the CGI images don't so it justice, imo. 

Yeah, I don't like gray but if it's a green, that would be neat.   I'll have to play w/ the BYO tool.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Looks better on the web page, but the download does look less green imho.

I like a green. But not that green.  Sorry David.  :(    

A lime green would look awesome on the C8.   Too bad Chevy has not entered the Lamborghini and Dodge lime green club.

MotorWeek | 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante & 2018 Buick Regal Spor |  Season 37 | Episode 29 | PBS

2010 Dodge Viper SRT-10

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Manual Test – Review – Car  and Driver

This Z06 is just a CGI rendered lime green...  :(  

Here's Why Gearheads Should Consider Buying The 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I like a green. But not that green.  Sorry David.  :(    

A lime green would look awesome on the C8.   Too bad Chevy has not entered the Lamborghini and Dodge lime green club.

MotorWeek | 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante & 2018 Buick Regal Spor |  Season 37 | Episode 29 | PBS

2010 Dodge Viper SRT-10

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Manual Test – Review – Car  and Driver

This Z06 is just a CGI rendered lime green...  :(  

Here's Why Gearheads Should Consider Buying The 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

I agree to disagree my friend. 🤢

Lime Green Corvette can do WITHOUT! I like the Cacti green, would have rather had it a emerald green metallic, but will take the Cactic green.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, David said:

I agree to disagree my friend. 🤢

Lime Green Corvette can do WITHOUT! I like the Cacti green, would have rather had it a emerald green metallic, but will take the Cactic green.

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I don’t care for bright lime greens.  Would love to see a C8 in a dark green w/ tan interior like the late C4 or C5 convertibles.  They look so good in that color combo   

Metallic emerald green is like the green equivalent of a candy apple red, red colour.   An awesome colour choice Id say!   Some youtuber  MUST do this on their C8 and broadcast it so we could see what it does to the C8.  Ive seen some Lambos with it and while its just OK,  it totally works on hot rods!!!

I like a dark green as well.  British Racing Green on a Corvette, any Corvette does very well. And like you said, with a tan interior colour. Its classic.

The cacti green, at least on the website, looks like pukey stuff.   Ill hold unto that opnion UNTIL I see it in person.  But the green interior that @David chose is nice.  I like that.  And with my eyes on my computer, the green does come out. I dont see any grey at all.  Yeah, the green is not super clear on my computer screen, but I could tell its green.  And I like that its a subtle green.  On a lime green exterior, Id prefer the green on the interior be wild as well. But on a low key cacti green, its the way to go.  But like I said, it doesnt seem that I would enjoy the cacti green.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Metallic emerald, green is like the green equivalent of a candy apple red, red colour.   An awesome colour choice I'd say!   Some youtuber MUST do this on their C8 and broadcast it so we could see what it does to the C8.  I've seen some Lambos with it and while it's just OK, it totally works on hot rods!!!

I like a dark green as well.  British Racing Green on a Corvette, any Corvette does very well. And like you said, with a tan interior colour. Its classic.

The cacti green, at least on the website, looks like pukey stuff.   I'll hold unto that opinion UNTIL I see it in person.  But the green interior that @David chose is nice.  I like that.  And with my eyes on my computer, the green does come out. I don't see any grey at all.  Yeah, the green is not super clear on my computer screen, but I could tell its green.  And I like that it's a subtle green.  On a lime green exterior, I'd prefer the green on the interior be wild as well. But on a low-key cacti green, it's the way to go.  But like I said, it doesn't seem that I would enjoy the cacti green.  

Sadly, we all know that not every color does well when it comes to a photo or on a computer screen due to no true color matching for most monitors / smartphones / tablets. So, it will be interesting to see the Cacti green color in the real world.