LeSabre or LaCrosse

Cananopie

My parents went to the Buick dealership today because my mothers LeSabre is reaching about 50k and want to trade it in before the value starts decreasing more rapidly. With the end of the year models they are eligible for the GM employee discount and there were 2 cars that it came down to. When they went there they wanted another LeSabre, I told them to get the LaCrosse but my mother didn't seem like she wanted a smaller vehicle but when she came home today she was considering one. There was a brand new 2005 LeSabre with some decent options including leather seats and dual climate control but no Driver Information Center or compass and such. I wish I had more details but I wasn't there and of course she doesn't remember everything. And there was also a LaCrosse CXL that wasn't at the dealer today but was owned by an old lady who bought the car, drove it for 400 miles, then the doctor told her she couldnt drive and is going to sell the car back to the dealer. This car has leather seats, a Driver Information Center, a compass, dual climate control, I assume automatic dimming mirrors, etc etc... pretty much the works, when it comes down to it, with all the discounts and the trade-in both vehicles will run her about $15k. She was leaning towards the LeSabre but now she is interested in the LaCrosse- her main concern seems to be the space (which I dont think she needs all the space in the LeSabre, and at the same time I don't think theres a world of difference in the space in the LaCrosse and the LeSabre). She only has 1 kid who'll ever actually ride in the back seat because I know the rear legroom is an issue with the LaCrosse, and he's 10 years old. She is worried mainly about the space for packing on vacation. My question to you is this: Which would you pick given her situation and why, be as detailed as you wish. And I'd also like you to comment on the fact that here in Western New York we are one of the largest GM loyal areas in the country yet this high volume, exclusive Buick dealer says that their dealership has ordered no CXS trim LaCrosses because the 3.6 engine is too new and experimental- do you agree with what this dealer is doing? What are your thoughts on that? Personally I'd like her to get the LaCrosse but if your opinions sway the other way I may change my mind. The only negative I see on the LaCrosse is that it's a first year vehicle so none of the bugs are worked out if there are any. But otherwise the LeSabre seems less exciting especially because of the less options. I dont think the space is that much of a difference either.

I'd say go Lacrosse, simply because she said she did want a smaller car, and because the Lacrosse is newer, more nicely trimmed, more refined, and a much fresher car compared to the somewhat cheap feeling rental special LeSabre (a car that I still like, though).

...exclusive Buick dealer says that their dealership has ordered no CXS trim LaCrosses because the 3.6 engine is too new and experimental- do you agree with what this dealer is doing?

Are they nuts....I mean, really? The engine has been out since '03 when they started using it in '04 and '05 Caddy's, albeit with a different 5-spd transmission and RWD layout. But, there's really nothing that new or unseen about it or it's design, just a nice, strong, highly refined, and powerful OHC engine for various "luxury" models. But saying it's too new and experimental? That's just crazy.

It's probably because most of their cliental is SO used to being able to get a Buick with a front bench, all they can get as such are 3.8L models, since only buckets come on the CXS. Edited by caddycruiser

Yeah, the 'too experimental' spiel sounds like hogwash to me, too. There's no logic or foundation behind the argument. One could semi-understand if it were a turbine or alcohol-fueled or, hell, even if it were a diesel, but an engine that's been in production for several years with tens of thousands of copies on the roads proving its reliability every day? Do you know if that dealership ever had any Rendezvous Ultras because *gasp* that had a 3.6l mill under the hood, too! Crazy!

My parents went to the Buick dealership today because my mothers LeSabre is reaching about 50k and want to trade it in before the value starts decreasing more rapidly. With the end of the year models they are eligible for the GM employee discount and there were 2 cars that it came down to.  When they went there they wanted another LeSabre, I told them to get the LaCrosse but my mother didn't seem like she wanted a smaller vehicle but when she came home today she was considering one.

There was a brand new 2005 LeSabre with some decent options including leather seats and dual climate control but no Driver Information Center or compass and such. I wish I had more details but I wasn't there and of course she doesn't remember everything. And there was also a LaCrosse CXL that wasn't at the dealer today but was owned by an old lady who bought the car, drove it for 400 miles, then the doctor told her she couldnt drive and is going to sell the car back to the dealer. This car has leather seats, a Driver Information Center, a compass, dual climate control, I assume automatic dimming mirrors, etc etc... pretty much the works, when it comes down to it, with all the discounts and the trade-in both vehicles will run her about $15k. She was leaning towards the LeSabre but now she is interested in the LaCrosse- her main concern seems to be the space (which I dont think she needs all the space in the LeSabre, and at the same time I don't think theres a world of difference in the space in the LaCrosse and the LeSabre). She only has 1 kid who'll ever actually ride in the back seat because I know the rear legroom is an issue with the LaCrosse, and he's 10 years old. She is worried mainly about the space for packing on vacation.

My question to you is this: Which would you pick given her situation and why, be as detailed as you wish. And I'd also like you to comment on the fact that here in Western New York we are one of the largest GM loyal areas in the country yet this high volume, exclusive Buick dealer says that their dealership has ordered no CXS trim LaCrosses because the 3.6 engine is too new and experimental- do you agree with what this dealer is doing? What are your thoughts on that?
Personally I'd like her to get the LaCrosse but if your opinions sway the other way I may change my mind. The only negative I see on the LaCrosse is that it's a first year vehicle so none of the bugs are worked out if there are any. But otherwise the LeSabre seems less exciting especially because of the less options. I dont think the space is that much of a difference either.

[post="11664"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually if the LeSabre has leather it must have the Best Seller package which includes driver infomation center, traction control, alloys, lighted visor mirrors and better speakers. There is also a Leather and Comfort group, a leather and Sound group and a Leather and wheels group which has 16" chrome alloys. If the LeSabre has the Touring package I would go with that cause it gives you 3.05:1 gears instead of 2.86:1 and better suspension with 16" tires. I had a 2000 LeSabre with this suspension and loved the car overall. My only 2 dissapointment were lack of rear seat map pockets and a center fold down armrest, something the LaCrosse has in all models.

I'd go with a 2006 Chevy Impala-all three Buicks are inferior in my opinion.

[post="12223"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Compared to the new Impala, that is very true, in more ways than one. More room (than the Lacrosse), less awkwardly proportioned, newer engines, better interior, etc., etc.

The LeSabre seems to fit the bill better. The only downside is that it is a lameduck model, and I really dislike the plasticky dashboard, but I don't find the fake wood all over the LaCrosse's interior to be much better. I guess I also prefer the G-bodies over the W-bodies for the room and solid structure.

Just yesterday I was next to a metallic red CXS at a stoplight. I was impressed at what a beautiful car it was! The paint was flawless and the body gaps were very tight.....very nice car! I rented a CXL back in December and was very impressed with it...so much so I was sad to give it back. I've driven almost every Buick car made since the mid-eighties, and I can say that the Lacrosse blows them all away. It's really sad that people bash what really is an excellent car. Not only would I choose a Lacrosse over a Lesabre, but I would also choose it over a Park Avenue! And just so you know, I've always been a big fan of the Park Ave. Like with most Buick's, it's very important to get the right color with the right wheels. That red CXS with the chrome package and big chrome wheels, was just about perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Well we went to a different dealer and my brother and both my parents and I drove a cardinal red CXS. It had almost everything aside from chrome wheels and the chrome appearance package. It was a 2005 which is what my parents want to buy a 2005 Buick because of the employee discount pricing. I loved the 3.6 liter engine, it picked up a lot faster than my Regals 3.8 (though it has 40 more horsepower). It's a good engine. I loved the iterior and my parents liked it a lot too... it's not that they dont want it, they're just not sure if they want to wait another year to see the Lucerne. They like the year-end savings you get and it will be their first brand new car. We're going back to the first dealer to try the CXL, it's that gold color, I saw one today and didnt mind they color-- bu the red, blue, or black would be by far the best. I'll keep you updated on the final decision.

Hmm... I can't say that I'd take a LaCrosse over a Park Avenue Ultra, but I can easily say I'd take one over a LeSabre. The LeSabre's interior is disappointingly cheap, while the LaCrosse's speaks for itself.

Hmm... I can't say that I'd take a LaCrosse over a Park Avenue Ultra, but I can easily say I'd take one over a LeSabre.  The LeSabre's interior is disappointingly cheap, while the LaCrosse's speaks for itself.

[post="12589"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Have you driven the two of them? The Park Ave is a very nice car, but it's also NINE years old! Come on guys! And it's really not that much different from a Lesabre(never was). I personaly prefer the center console in the Lacrosse, the awesome stereo(the Park's stereo is horrible), and the overall far superior build quality inside and out. Also, the Lacrosse can really take the corners while delivering an excellent Buick-smooth ride(without floating). God, I'm getting so irritated by people not taking the Lacrosse seriously. THE LACROSSE IS A GREAT CAR PEOPLE. Do I need to hit you upside your heads to make you realize that?

i think people would be taking it more seriously if buick would have kept the lesabre name. its going to take time before LaCrosse is a respected nameplate like park avenue and lesabre.

[post="12657"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Lesabre=old image
Park Avenue=old image
Century=old image
Regal=old image
old image=old people
old people=death
death=no more Buick
Is that what you want?

the only reason its like that is because buick didnt update the designs enough and the cars themselves...you dont see toyota giving camry the same design every year if they did..they would be in the same position that buick is in.

[post="12667"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

zoomtm, this is because GM STARVED Buick! Buick has never had problems this severe before, and I surely wouldn't blame them. It's pretty hard to update when your parents won't give you any money because they are wasting it everywhere else. It's disgusting what GM has allowed to happen to Buick. Just twenty years ago Buick was the most technologically advanced car in the world. Buick pioneered the modern V-6 that we know of today, had touchscreen computers starting in '85, and they had a turbo V-6 with sophisticated electronics and an intercooler. If you were to study Buick history a little bit, you'd also be scratching your head. Buick was an awesome company back then.........now look. :(