Project Camino!

I'd do one for sure. Find me a good 3/4 view that's at least 800x600 or bigger (the bigger and clearer, the better). Matter of fact, I just spent the last 20-30 minutes browsing through the first 4 pages (damn those huge pictures!) and didn't find anything good..

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't there companies that make reproductions of iconic OE wheels from the 60's and 70's? I thought I saw where Chevy Rally wheels are now available in bigger sizes... not sure if you'd want to go with a larger diameter wheel with modern performance tires for the Camino. And I like your refinishing idea. Modern, clearcoat colors that aren't far off the originals... makes the firewall and all the jambs far less jarring in contrast than if you went with something totally different.

Aren't there companies that make reproductions of iconic OE wheels from the 60's and 70's? I thought I saw where Chevy Rally wheels are now available in bigger sizes... not sure if you'd want to go with a larger diameter wheel with modern performance tires for the Camino. And I like your refinishing idea. Modern, clearcoat colors that aren't far off the originals... makes the firewall and all the jambs far less jarring in contrast than if you went with something totally different.

Coker Tire is one of several companies that offer repro wheels in various sizes...

Corvette Rallyes example

I swear, GM side moldings from this era were stuck on with two-sided tape, not riveted. So many dealerships had those aftermarket side moldings installed, but the rivets mar the sheetmetal, and encourage rust. The factory moldings merely fell off in a few years. Edited by ocnblu

I swear, GM side moldings from this era were stuck on with two-sided tape, not riveted. So many dealerships had those aftermarket side moldings installed, but the rivets mar the sheetmetal, and encourage rust. The factory moldings merely fell off in a few years.

These are actually screwed-on, but I think they are history and I'll have the holes welded-up.

Is there a way to get the SPID label or build sheet for your Camino? I wonder if the build sheet is hidden somewhere in the car... that would be a cool find. I'd guess SPID labels were not in existence then, probably a stamped tag somewhere...

I always liked the charcoal Torque Thrusts, or even the old standby, Cragar S/Ss on something like this.

Edited by ocnblu

Those are Cragar's. I believe Body's wheels are called Junkyard Dogs, or something to that effect.

Edit: the Boyd's are Smoothie's, not sure where I got Junkyard Dog, perhaps Foose or another Boyd wheel.

Edit again: Boyd has the Junkyard Dogs and they're similar, too.

That's awesome, NOS. A lot better than my interpretation of what I'd do if I had a '77 El Camino:

Posted Image

Bob, you're probably going to want to bar me from ever owning an El Camino for even suggesting this, but take solace in the fact that I've got my hands full already with a Corvette, and something like this won't happen for a few years at the minimum.

That car got an early Laguna nose!

That might work.

The Overhaulin' car started life like this:

Posted Image

I believe the Laguna nose was a bolt-on...the hood they modified by taking the original, then cutting the center section out of a 60s Chevelle SS hood (I think), then grafting it into the El Camino hood. And they filled the side lights up front. Subtle mods, but they looked pretty neat...

The nose they used was like a 73-74

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by BigPontiac

BP: the Laguna nose is mostly a bolt-on, but there are some issues with the fenders (no problem if you get the laguna fenders too).

While looking for pics, I stumbled on a few at a junkyard...they had a '74 Laguna AND '74 Chevelle Wagon...

not sure how up to date they are, but either may have some parts you could use if they're still around...

link

I've been watching that car, It has been listed twice and got no bids. I think it's too bad he took apart such a nice car.

I'd love to get my hands on the body-lift and other stuff he has though!

Too bad he took it apart and then couldn't finish it. Looked pretty good to begin with.

One last Laguna search resulted in this (said it fits el camino):

It would fit, but I've already ordered small block front springs.

I'm thinking a Ramjet 350 would do nicely.

:bowdown:

Love the fuel injection. My Bonneville is a PITA to start if it sits for more than a week. My next project car will be a resto-rod for sure...maybe a '56 Safari...

Sounds good ,Cort. My project should be very different by then.

He he ... I expect it will be very different by August ;).

Hmmm....lovin' some of those chops, too .....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I wanna drive" ... Trace Adkins ... '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

No doubt in my mind. The oragne & white tt is best.

That trim and profile works best in two-tone.

The solid burgundy is not for me, I'd do it TT blue

& white or something like that if not in red/orange

with white.