The best-looking Cadillac? The not so good-looking Cadillac?

Doing this as a poll would have been tough, so let's go verbal on this one.

Best looking:

I am stunned by what a good-looking car the DTS has become, with almost all vantage points being very attractive. And, no, it has nothing to do with being older now...I would have loved it as a 22-year old. It's just well done.

Worst looking:

I think the XLR is hideous. I was at a light behind one a couple of months ago and the table-top deck lid with its ugly squarish lights reminded me of a mid-90s Achieva (remember those?)

Other comments:

The SUV/wagon (acronym please?) has some nice crisp edges.

The CTS has nice proportions, overall, but I don't like how tall the dash feels.

The STS is a miss. The sales numbers prove it, too. This is the historical Seville niche and this vehicle leaves something to be desired; the CTS is just too close, on so many levels, and with a better price point.

What's your pick of the litter? Which one is the "runt"?

Edited by trinacriabob

Here are my comments on my favourite GM brand:

Best looking:

1. New CTS - best production A&S IMO

2. SRX - best production A&S until the new CTS came along IMO

Worst looking:

1. BLS - it lacks those RWD proportions.

2. DTS - it just doesn't do anything for me. Also doesn't have RWD proportions

Other comments:

1. China-only SLS looks better than STS: I think the extra 4 inches help the car's looks, and I hope the NG DTS/STS is about SLS size.

2. I like the XLR, even though the rear is very toned down from the concept's thin fin-like tail lights.

3. If I was in the market for a car, the Escalade/ESV/EXT wouldn't be on my list, but that's a matter of personal preference.

4. I hope Alpha goes ahead - I'd like to see a RWD/AWD BTS below the CTS.

The Good:

The next Cadillac CTS - Especially because the new interior is worlds better than the old. And oddly enough, I like the revised front end.

SRX - it's high up on my list if I ever decide to get an SUV

The Forgettable:

STS - The exterior is ok, but the interior kills me, especially considering its competition.

The Bad:

DTS - Clearly I'm not its intended target market, so I won't be too harsh with my judgement.

Escalade range of vehicles - My friend describes it as "the de facto vehicle for new money everywhere". Though it rings somewhat true, I dislike it just because I've always thought it was ugly, looked disproportionate, and well, was just generally tacky.

Edited by Hollingsworth

The Good

The new CTS...it's a real stunner inside and out.

The SLS...looks better than the STS inside and out, the extra length helps the proportions

The Bad

The DTS...it's a relic of the FWD `90's and its odd proportions show it. Its interior isn't much different in terms of design than that of the Lucerne or the Impala...I don't want to be reminded of a Chevy fleet special every time I sit in my supposed luxury car.

As good as the refreshed STS may be, the SLS looks better inside and out.

The Ugly

The DTS L or whatever the long wheelbase version is called. It takes all of the bad proportions and makes them worse....with a giant C-pillar to boot.

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest YellowJacket894
  • The Good: 2008 Cadillac CTS (Proves that Cadillac is ever-so close to returning to it's former glory and posing a serious threat to the competition.)
  • The Bad: Cadillac XLR (Proved that Cadillac could build a competent performance car. However, it's something of a cheat, since it is C6-based, and the C6 has proved to be one of the best sports cars, period. Styling is a subjective thing, but it does feel long-in-the-tooth due to the fact that its styling does date back to '99 with the Evoq concept.)
  • The Ugly: 2007 Cadillac DTS (Warmed over fossil dating back to who knows when. This is supposed to be the top-of-the-line Cadillac? Snore.)

The Good: Next-generation CTS (correct proportions from every angle, quite stylish, even on the interior!), and the 2007 DTS (necessarily carries forward the real qualities associated with Cadillac--'in your face' Cadillac styling cues--egg-crate grill, vertical tail lamps, creased trunk, smoooooth ride, full-sized luxury, lots of gadgets & gizmos).

Average: 2007 SRX (a bit too 'flat' on the sides, but nicely contemporary with recognizable Cadillac styling cues), 2007 XLR (nice 'Arts & Science' design cues, needs the thinner tail lamps of the Evoq Show Car, proportions between the front door and front wheel opening and back of door and rear wheel opening are too short--needs a parcel shelf behind the front seats--more length would help this car immensely, but still a very stylish ride!)

The Bad: 2008 STS (the 2005 to 2008 STS are just losers! The styling is too bland, too typical GM--especially near the B and C pillars--it would have benefited greatly if the designers added "haunches" near the C-Pillar area, a la 2007 Charger-esque), BLS (another obvious re-badge, a la Cimarron--will Caddy ever learn?), the Escalades (resemble the other GM full-size SUV's too closely, and should only built if Caddy must have a big SUV).

Just my 0.02 cents.

The Good:

DTS... There's something stately about big Cadillacs that I've always liked. It's gotta be the Southerner in me. :rolleyes:

STS... My father drives an 06. Most on this board don't like it, I know. But I like sitting in it and LOVE driving it. Nav woulda made the center console look better, however.

The OK:

CTS... Really grew sick of the first-gen. But I kinda like the 08.

SRX... Wouldn't get one, but it's nice to see on the road.

The Bad:

BLS... This has Catera written all over it.

XLR... We all know it's a Corvette dressed up for Prom.

Escalade... I used to love them until this current generation came out. Now it's too much.

I won't repeat what has been stated many times already. Rather, I'd like to add some commentary:

SRX - Nice in theory, but bad in execution. What's up with it's ride height? I think it has more ground clearance than my '05 GMC Envoy 4wd! Caddy's crossover station wagon sits too high for my tastes and IMO would look better lowered to the ground more (plus I see them mainly in shopping malls and the like - is that gorund clearance necessary for speed bumps?). I think I was more comfortable in my neighrbor's Ford Freestyle (not saying much) than in the '07 SRX I sat in at this year's Philly Auto Show. I like it, but would still consider a truck-based SUV or other crossover (Lambda) over the SRX any day.

XLR - It's a halo car that still attracts attention at the auto shows. Given the extra $80K, I'd have one of those in my garage instead of the SKY (don't get me wrong, I love my SKY - but the XLR is awesome!). It is time for the XLR to get the same A&S treatment that the new '08 CTS received to bring it more current and up-to-date.

Escalade lineup - If you think the DTS became the modern-day Fleetwood, boy are you wrong! The Escalade is the 21st century's Fleetwood reincarnated in truck form. Many of you don't like these trucks being in Caddy showwrooms, but living in Southern NJ I see a ton of them. I can only image how many more roam the streets in California, NYC, Chicago, and any other major city in the US.

STS & DTS - I love the DTS, as it still embodies the Caddy heritage. The STS is percieved as an overpriced and larger CTS. Of course it would only make sense to combine these two and offer the SLS instead here in the states. But I like the exterior looks of the DTS more (and I agree that the DTS-L is not a pretty sight).

Just my :twocents:

Hmm I'll try to put them on a scale from best to worst (though worst isn't necessarily bad).

CTS - The car that made me a Cadillac fanatic. An extremely bold design for its time, only to be outdone by its redesign.

XLR - A&S + Corvette = Awesomeness

Escalade - A sharp looking truck, even if I'd never buy one in my life.

STS - A cleaned up version of the CTS. Not earth-shattering like its slightly smaller, less-expensive brother, but still sharp.

DTS - minimal A&S equals snoring design

SRX - never did like the rear proportions

• 2 weeks later...

Best:

2008 CTS - :idhitit:

Worst:

XLR - I think it looks too flat all over.

DTS - It's not totally futuristic, but it's still very modern. My only caveat is that the back end reminds me of the '80s New Yorkers.

STS - It bugs me that it has vertical tail lamps. Sevilles never had vertical tail lamps.

SRX - It just looks oddly proportioned to me, which is odd because it has similar proportions to the original Vue, which I really liked.

Escalade - Not very A&S past the front fascia, but I think it looks OK otherwise. Everyone already knows it's a luxo-boat.

The thing that annoyed me the most about the recent Caddys (mostly the CTS, STS, and SRX) is that the turn signal/low beam clusters don't follow the same lines as the headlight clusters. The new '08 CTS looks like it got that right.

Just my two cents, because that's all I have.

I love the 08 CTS, by far the best Cadillac yet.

I do like the XLR-V, a very nice looking car that will get some upgrades soon :AH-HA_wink:

The SRX has grown on me especially with the much needed revamp of the interior.

The STS is luke warm with me, if it is an STS-V that is another story!

The DTS is ok, I will give GM some credit for keeping it somewhat fresh still, but it is an FWD car. And it has the old fogey stigma attached to it.

The Escalade's have now worn thin on me, they just look gaudy and not very classy anymore. When I saw the 08 CTS and the Escalade at the Detroit show the Escalade's stuck out like a sore thumb when compared to the CTS. The 08 CTS is a whole 'nother level

Edited by RJB

I don't feel the XLR is where it should be; the Evoq is still superior in design, but I cannot call any current Cadillacs either 'bad' or especially 'ugly' from a design standpoint. But if the BLS was here, I could call that 'bad'. The rest beyond the XLR I grade as 'good':

CTS - (current) still love it.

SRX - they are a bit tall, but so are most of the smaller lux SUVs.

STS - see a surprising number of them, recognize them immediately from the CTS and I find them upscale & 'tightly wrapped'. They're always hustling down the road, too.

DTS - greaty appreciate it for the segment it's in, wouldn't mind owning one in the least.

Esc - These are at the top of the segment IMO.

I think the XLR looks fantastic, but its interior is not at all up to par.

The next-gen CTS looks OK in pictures, but not fantastic.

The STS looks pretty bad; bland bland bland with some weirdness thrown in.

The SRX is funky and different; very love or hate, which is good.

The DTS will look very dated soon... the overhangs are ridiculous.

XLR - Man why is everyone hating this car? We have one and it is engaging to drive, beautiful to look at and DANGEROUS to drive, as people damned near hit you to get a look at it. The hardtop is a marvel, the drivetrain is nearly euro exotic with the DOHC V8. Only complaint for us is I think it is too soft in the ride.

SRX - Love the Amenities, wish it were longer and the base V6 had more power

STS- forgettable design and who wanted a FWD Luxury Car - nobody...so the RWD ones are hardly known about as they automatically think of the STS as a FWD car.

DTS - Looks are growing on me...but again FWD...ugh.

NEW CTS - ABSOF-ING BEAUTIFUL...Scared that I might buy one when the Tahoe's lease is up.

Escalade - My tahoe has everything inside that they do for 20k less. Sure my truck has a 4 speed auto, but at least I can pass the gas pumps.

SRX - Love the Amenities, wish it were longer and the base V6 had more power

(...)

Escalade - My tahoe has everything inside that they do for 20k less. Sure my truck has a 4 speed auto, but at least I can pass the gas pumps.

Would a longer unibody SUV (Sigma-based or Zeta-based vehicle) taking over the Escalade be an interesting concept in your opinion?

BLS - Not bad, but too odd.

CTS - Love it.

DTS - It's decent, I like it.

Escalade triplets - Interior = Good, everything else = Not so good.

SRX - It's not bad, but has odd lines.

SLS - It's what the STS should be.

STS - Blah... It's watered down. The G8 is more exciting.

XLR - Are you guys nuts? It's beautiful!

Best Looking Cadillac: new CTS

I also like the Escalade, STS & SRX

The XLR is cool but has not aged as well

as some of the others...

Worst Looking: DTS. Those goofy FWD proportions make for a stupid looking profile.

Like 99% of modern FWD cars the damn front wheels are set back about 12" more

than would look pleasing to the eye. The current Nissan Maxima & Buick Lucerne are

two more examples of this bad styling characteristic that plagues FWD cars. Pretty

much everything about FWD pisses me off.

Speaking of which if we include the EU only BLS than that takes the cake!

That car has a disgustingly awkward huge front overhang. :puke:

I think the DTS has amazing lines and decent proportions, I know its FWD. But seriously it is a sharp looking car. Just wish it had a 6spd. auto and a new platform for 'er. I like the XLR all it needs is an interior upgrade like that give to the SRX!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Agreed. The '67 and '68 especially were cool with their muscle car front end looks, and the last gen were really sleek; I wish they had made the Deville rear end look more like that.

I also like the style of the '80s Smalldorado, despite its size. I liked the simple headlights, they were nice and clean compared to the chrome lined TV sets up until then. Quite a handsome car, in my opinion.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

• 2 weeks later...

XLR/SRX- never liked these 2 designs. Too flat, dull and generic looking couples with odd angular lines, no trim or anything eye catching in there designs. Also overpriced.

DTS- My favorite Caddy sedan. It has style and presence that is so lacking in most other modern sterile bland rubbish out these days. It may be FWD only but that is very appealing to me with traction limiting snow belt conditions.

STS- The most overpriced Caddy sedan ever and the most sterile, bland genric styling to ever grace A Cadillac. A 21K Saturn Aura has much better and sharper styling, chrome trim and eye appeal compared to this lackluster snore of a sedan.

New CTS- much better for the front and rear end but the flat plain sides of the STS remain and are my biggest turn off here. The interior is also better than the STS and kudos for the DI V6.

Escalade- The best full size SUV by a mile and makes the already lame duck Navigator look very dated by comparison and it looks so much more impressive than any boring plain looking Asian truck.

Edited by ponchoman49

The DTS looks perfectly fine, even good looking. A perfectly good looking geriatric car.

It's from another era and it was old then.

Everytime I see one, I get so pissed off at GM and Cadillac. It should never

have existed. It ain't no Cadillac. It's masquarading as one.

I dream of the day when Cadillac will break out and make people

wet themselves at the sight of their cars.

And not settle for the mediocrity that is the DTS and STS.

Cadillac is iconic, it's more than just a car.

Cadillac used to uber cool. Ultra hip.

The Escalade brought that back a bit.

They have a ways to go yet.

Please come back, Cadillac.

I'm waiting for you.

Well, here I go with what will likely be some unpopular opinions. :AH-HA_wink:

- I hate all FWD Caddies with the exception of the last Seville STS and the last Eldorado. The rest are just plain hideous. The current DTS is only slightly less ugly than those weirdly proportioned 80s/90s Devilles which were the lowest point Caddy ever sank to.

- Love the Sixteen, Cien, and XLR

- Like the SRX

- Never liked the CTS with the exception of the V Series which somehow made a car I thought was ugly attractive. I still don't know how that happened.

- I like the STS better than the CTS, but not in love with it.

-I understand the reason that the Escalades exist, but other than the very first models, I think they peg the gaudy meter. Too bad really, as some of the details are very nice in comparison to their Chevy/GMC counterparts. In any case, they are over-trimmed, over-priced versions of far more sensible Chevies and GMCs. The SUV for those with more money than brains.