September 2007: Ford Motor Company

Yikes...

FORD CROSSOVERS SOAR AGAIN IN SEPTEMBER; OVERALL MONTHLY VEHICLE SALES DECLINE

* Sales of Ford’s all-new and redesigned crossovers spiked 96 percent in September; year-to-date sales were up 52 percent. Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX post highest retail sales to date.

* Overall sales totaled 189,863, down 21 percent compared with a year ago; daily rental sales were down 62 percent and sales to individual retail customers were down 15 percent.

* Lincoln registers 12 th month in a row of higher retail sales; total Lincoln sales up 33 percent (retail up 40 percent) in September and 15 percent (retail up 17 percent) year-to-date.

* Land Rover dealers report record sales of 4,190, up 21 percent, reflecting all-new LR2.

Download PDF

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 2 – Demand continues to grow for Ford Motor Company’s all-new and redesigned crossover vehicles, even as overall sales declined in September.

Total September sales were 189,863, down 21 percent compared with a year ago. Sales to daily rental companies were down 62 percent and sales to individual retail customers were down 15 percent.

Ford, Lincoln and Mercury’s all-new and redesigned crossover utility sales were up 96 percent in September and up 52 percent year-to-date – the largest increase of any major manufacturer.

“We continue to be encouraged by customers’ strong response to our new products, which we’re launching with high quality,” said Mark Fields, president, The Americas. “Demand for our new crossovers continues to grow and contributes to our efforts to stabilize U.S. retail market share.”

In September, Ford Edge sales were 11,632 and Lincoln MKX sales were 3,805. Both new crossovers achieved their highest retail sales month to date. The Edge and Lincoln MKX were introduced in December 2006 and already are among the best sellers in the mid-size and premium CUV segments.

Sales for the redesigned 2008 model Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner crossovers were higher in September. Escape sales were 11,132, up 10 percent, and Mariner sales were 2,699, up 4 percent.

The Lincoln brand posted its 12 th month in a row of higher retail sales. In September, total Lincoln sales were up 33 percent (retail up 40 percent). Year-to-date, total Lincoln sales were up 15 percent (retail up 17 percent). Lincoln’s rebound reflects the new Lincoln MKX crossover, the new Lincoln MKZ sedan (up 25 percent in September) and the redesigned Navigator (up 38 percent in September).

“We’re building a strong foundation for future growth at Lincoln,” said Fields. “This is the early phase of an aggressive plan to restore Lincoln as America’s choice for luxury vehicles.”

Land Rover’s September sales were 4,190, up 21 percent, reflecting the addition of the all-new LR2 crossover. Land Rover sales were up 8 percent year-to-date.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=26906

I heard there is supposed to be a huge marketing pushing starting this month for the Taurus...hopefully that will pick up sales. So far they really haven't marketed it at all, and apparently inventory has been limited.

What really hurt Ford's car sales was the '06 Taurus skewing the numbers...22,000 is a huge chunk of 60,000.

The Edge / MKX / Escape all seem to be doing well, but they aren't enough to keep the market share from sliding. Ford needed a B-car yesterday, same with the Focus, and the '09 F-150 needs to get out here ASAP. I'm surprised the Explorer still sells over 10,000...it seems like I never see them anymore.

Their products aren't that old. Americans are just fed up with Ford because of all transmission problems, blown head gaskets, Explorer tires, Pinto, etc. The chickens have come home to roost. I love my Crown Victoria, but I think Ford's future is questionable now.

Yeah, but if you look at what vehicles were down at Ford, it was all the older "duds" like the old Taurus, some of the Volvos, Ranger, Crown Vic, etc...the new products like the Fusion and Edge are actually improving in sales every month. The problem is, Ford needs like, a $h! load more new products. They need a Chrysler 300 type vehicle, like the upcoming G8 and they need a car based off the new Mazda 2 that's coming out. Although the Silverado and Tundra (argh!) have better V8s, I still like the F150 a lot for a big truck. I like Ford - although I follow GM more. Hopefully they'll stabilize. Honestly, I keep thinking I may end up with a Mustang GT in my driveway next year, but I'm sort of holding out to see how good the Z28 is going to be.

It seems to me that the Focus, Mustang, and F series pickup are the heart of the Ford sales empire and all three are down 20-30%. A significant part of GM's contract agreement with UAW centered on job guarantees and new products. How will ford get a contract agreement?

Sales are down since they cut fleet sales 62%, so there. Should they still be making old stuff [DN101 Taurus] and selling at a loss to keep the #'s up?

The big loss also is due to the BOF trucks/SUV's declining in general. It proves that America DOESN'T want 'BOF/V8's' only. Some assume and all RWD/BOF/V8 line up would save them.

The Focus listed in these reports is the outgoing 2007. Never mind what one thinks of the 2008, wait and see how the new one does, once it is back to full production.

The F series sure, it is down, but the all new 2009 is coming in less than a year. And the Mustang is still selling over 10K a month, better than the 'classic' 1987-93 era.

15% vs 62% is a big difference. And if so upset about the low #'s, why not go buy a new car to make them higher? Toyota was down again this month, why no hand wringing? With them, it is blamed on 'housing market'.

And checked Mopar's #'s, the Mustang outsold the 300, which is supposedly still thought of as "hot product" ???

OTOH, They do need to push the new Taurus and Focus, and show that they are not still making Pintos and/o not 'just a maker of gas hogging SUV's'.

Edited by Chicagoland

Late 2008 is going to be big for Ford if they can hold on. New B-car, new Mustang, new Fusion (plus Hybrid), new MKZ, new F-150, MKS...Flex too? That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

The consensus at BON is that October will be another painful month, then November and December will start to stabilize. Increases may not be seen until next year sometime, depending on how well the Taurus and Focus do.

Late 2008 is going to be big for Ford if they can hold on. New B-car, new Mustang, new Fusion (plus Hybrid), new MKZ, new F-150, MKS...Flex too? That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

The consensus at BON is that October will be another painful month, then November and December will start to stabilize. Increases may not be seen until next year sometime, depending on how well the Taurus and Focus do.

i hope your right...

i always make snide coments about ford... but i'd like to see them flurish over the asians...

The trend in Australia is no better. In some segments they are outsold by Mazda, and the day could come as early as next year when Mazda catches Ford in monthly sales. Aside for a few big sellers, mainly to commercial fleets, Ford in the US is outsold by Pontiac/GMC, which has fewer products. I know some people see a bleak future for BPG, but I'd rather have a combined BPG franchise than Ford.

I think Ford will ultimately be fine, they're just in the lull right now.

Might I remind everyone here that not a year ago we were talking up the bankruptcy of GM and the death of 1 or 2 divisions?

My only worry is this: Are the sales GM is picking up coming off the back of Ford when they really need to be coming at the expense of the 'asian gods'

My only worry is this: Are the sales GM is picking up coming off the back of Ford when they really need to be coming at the expense of the 'asian gods'

Hyundai Halts Production as Sonata Sales Dip

click here

Just days after Ford’s announcement that it would shut down production of its F-Series Super Duty for two weeks, Hyundai has announced a stoppage of its own.

The carmaker ordered a halt in production at its Montgomery, Alabama plant in an effort to reduce its inventory of unsold Sonata sedans.

http://' target="_blank">

After showing sales 19.6 percent lower than this time last year, Hyundai made the call to strategically stop production. After today’s halt, plans call for the plant to close again on the 12th and 19th of this month. Beyond that, further shutdowns have not been determined.

Though Sonata sales were down over 2,000 units versus the same month last year, Hyundai’s Santa Fe sales have gained ground. Daily production of the crossover has risen by nearly 100 units against last year’s numbers.

15% vs 62% is a big difference.

You can't compare percentages like that. For example, 62% of 100 is 62 and 15% of 1,000,000 is 150,000. So in that case, the 15% is actually ~2420% greater than the 62%.

Interestingly enough, in order for -62% fleet and -15% retail to account for the 204,070 to 155,037 slide, the number of fleet and retails sales lost are about equal.

In ford's last annual statement the said they expected sales to be down this year due to lower fleet sales. However they expected that an increase in retail sales would offset some of the loses. I guess they were half right.