Sketch Competition #22 - The Next HHR

Welcome to Sketch Competition #22!
Posted Image

While its been confirmed that we'll see another version of the Cobalt in 2010, the future of its HHR companion isn't so cut-and-dried. The popular retro-influenced wagon has seen several variations already in its lifetime, including a panel wagon and the hot upcoming SS and we think its sales will certainly justify its continutation. Therefore, the largest problem with the HHR is where does it go from here. Retro is constantly said to be hard to update and it seems the only way that retro has survived as been to just wither on the vine (PT, Beetle). Time to prove them wrong.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to design the next-generation Chevy HHR for 2010/11. Luckily for the HHR, it doesn't sell on retro styling alone; rather, utility is its hallmark. So whether you want to continue the retro styling or evolve it into something else is completely up to you. Remember, though, it should remain a front-drive compact with lots of cargo room for its size. If you'd like to see a two-door or convertible a la Chrysler's PT Cruiser, go ahead and explore those bodystyles in addition to the four-door we see now. Panel wagons and SS variants are also encouraged.

Again, we highly encourage you to design interiors along with multiple exterior views to really give a complete feel to your design. In these cars especially, interior design is paramount and we'd love to see awesome interiors with awesome exteriors. The only restriction aside from being a compat utility is that this must be a Chevrolet!

Please include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:
-3/4 Front View
-3/4 Rear View
-Interior View

**Entries without two perspectives will still be accepted, but will incur a 2-point penalty at the end of voting**

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this should be a Chevrolet vehicle.

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize!

Deadline is Tuesday, November 6th @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

Allright I will go second too !!!...ya gotta LOVE this one :

Posted Image

Good Futuristic Concept Mr DM. Please remove the brushlines and make interior less hazy and more defining and work on the lines of the side view.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The quality of the images don't do the drawings any justice. :/ As my scanner is broken, I'm relegated to photographing my drawing, doing what I can in photoshop, and posting that. Please judge the design, not the image!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The quality of the images don't do the drawings any justice. :/ As my scanner is broken, I'm relegated to photographing my drawing, doing what I can in photoshop, and posting that. Please judge the design, not the image!

That actually looks great, I wish I could see it scanned at higher resolution though. But still very cohesive and mature. It does seem a little larger than the HHR. I get a feeling it would make a GREAT GMT360 or GMT345 SUV though. Still looks very nice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like it alot too, it'd be cool to see an old ~30's grill on it, the lower half extended into the bumper.

Here's my entry. I tried to post it a few days ago, but my user account got deleted or something. My email address changed, so maybe that caused the problem. Anyway, I had to create a whole new account, so it got delayed a bit. Posted Image

speaking of delays, is Fly ever going to post the results of the Kappa II voting?

Edited by barraxII

Actually, this was originally intended for Daewoo Kalos/Chevrolet Aveo that I recently drawn, but since I'm new here, and I found out the contest for the Aveo has already been closed so I am putting this as the HHR, since I personally hate, and don't care about Chevrolets to begin with. I am nowhere near as good as most of you in drawing but I tried. I don't care if it gets 0 points, but it's only for fun, for I love drawing cars. It's got no colors, it's just a lousy sketch of mine, but enjoy. Most of the drawings I've done heavily focuses on Pontiacs so.... The ones I've done are Fiero, Firebird, Grand Prix, Sunfire, T1000, and so and so. I have also drawn my version of PT Cruiser a while back, but I hated it, so I destroyed it.

Posted Image

I know I suck, but enjoy and laugh all you want at it. No, I don't have any other angles, for I suck in drawing the back.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Actually, this was originally intended for Daewoo Kalos/Chevrolet Aveo that I recently drawn, but since I'm new here, and I found out the contest for the Aveo has already been closed so I am putting this as the HHR, since I personally hate, and don't care about Chevrolets to begin with. I am nowhere near as good as most of you in drawing but I tried. I don't care if it gets 0 points, but it's only for fun, for I love drawing cars. It's got no colors, it's just a lousy sketch of mine, but enjoy. Most of the drawings I've done heavily focuses on Pontiacs so.... I have also drawn my version of PT Cruiser a while back, but I hated it, so I destroyed it.

Posted Image

I know I suck, but enjoy and laugh all you want at it. No, I don't have any other angles, for I suck in drawing the back.

No, you do not suck! Aside from being very squished, it is actually quite a nice design! BUT! This looks more like a hatchback (i.e. Mazda 6-style), not high heritage roof-reminiscent, but a nice style none the less. Edited by MarioBro88

No, it's not a hatchback. It is meant to be a sedan. I've studied some of the drawings that are included in the magazines like Motor Trend, and others, and it seems like the rear, they tend to draw it small to make it more balanced in looks, so that's what I did. I know, making the pics not squished is one area that I am having trouble with. It never come out right as I intended, oh well....

No, it's not a hatchback. It is meant to be a sedan. I've studied some of the drawings that are included in the magazines like Motor Trend, and others, and it seems like the rear, they tend to draw it small to make it more balanced in looks, so that's what I did. I know, making the pics not squished is one area that I am having trouble with. It never come out right as I intended, oh well....

The HHR is a sport wagon, not a sedan, by the way, and I doubt a sedan variant is likely.

I know, but as I have said, this was originally intended as Chevrolet Aveo, but I could not post it there since it was closed for posting, so I just enterred it as HHR instead. I don't care if it gets 0 points since this is only for fun, and since I don't know and don't care about Chevys to begin with. I just like to draw that's all, but I didn't really get a chance to draw the HHR due to my busy work schedule.

But, Thanx. If there ever going to be a contest for any pontiacs, I have some old drawings of mine that I can enter. Such as T-1000, which I have drawn the front like this, and the back view, which isn't great, but....

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Sorry for double posting(hey, my previous post was last night so), but I actually took the time and draw the HHR. It's back(though it's crooked, I don't why, but I am having trouble getting them to look right :( ), and its dash. Well, I hate what it turned out, and as usual, I admit my crudeness for I know I suck in drawing, but hope you enjoy. You can laugh all you want, so use these instead of the Aveo that I have posted here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As usual, I don't care people hates it, laugh about it or what not, but drawing is my free time activity after work sometimes. When I am not on PS2 playing, or coding in front of the computer, that's what I do, so....

Hope you enjoy them, though they suck.

Guys, guys! The 80s and 90s are over! Some of these look like Geos or something.

On the other hand, not bad Zulehan or Burns.

This is a design project to update a vehicle based on a design from the 50's. Updating a retro model is never easy. If it looked contemporary it wouldn't be a proper HHR update.

This competition's original deadline was November 6th. Over two weeks ago, with no reference from the mod about an extention. The previous contest Kappa II has not had voting results posted although the deadline for voting was, what, six weeks ago (?).

Is it just me, or has the Sketch Competitino section been abandoned?

This competition's original deadline was November 6th. Over two weeks ago, with no reference from the mod about an extention. The previous contest Kappa II has not had voting results posted although the deadline for voting was, what, six weeks ago (?).

Is it just me, or has the Sketch Competitino section been abandoned?

This lull in activity is not uncommon. Flybrian gets busy and preoccupied sometimes with other stuff. Don't worry, the ball will roll again soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

lambda is to big for this, but i think it could be translated well on lambda. anyone else think so?

what would be funny is if we were doing all these competitions and some poeple were coming over here to steal some ideas. that would suck.

Actually, according to copyright law, it wouldn't be stealing. If you make a design variant of a GM car, they automatically own all legal rights to the work. I found that out the hard way when I sent some sketches to Pontiac back in '84. I was unhappy with the bland looks of the first iteration of the Third gen(?) TransAm and sent some ideas for spiffing it up. Being a young, naive guy, I asked only for a new TA as compensation. J Michael Losh responded and said he liked my sketches and encouraged me to apply for a position at Pontiac's design studio, but, since Firebird and TransAm are GM properties, the sketches were legally theirs as soon as I sent them. :-(

They did use some of my ideas (or I happened to have some of the same ideas they had already created) so I felt vindicated when I started to see some of them in production. My fiancee was dead set against living in Michigan so I never followed up on the invitation to apply.

Girls and cars don't mix.

Actually, according to copyright law, it wouldn't be stealing. If you make a design variant of a GM car, they automatically own all legal rights to the work. I found that out the hard way when I sent some sketches to Pontiac back in '84. I was unhappy with the bland looks of the first iteration of the Third gen(?) TransAm and sent some ideas for spiffing it up. Being a young, naive guy, I asked only for a new TA as compensation. J Michael Losh responded and said he liked my sketches and encouraged me to apply for a position at Pontiac's design studio, but, since Firebird and TransAm are GM properties, the sketches were legally theirs as soon as I sent them. :-(

They did use some of my ideas (or I happened to have some of the same ideas they had already created) so I felt vindicated when I started to see some of them in production. My fiancee was dead set against living in Michigan so I never followed up on the invitation to apply.

Girls and cars don't mix.

well the way around that would be drawing a car for a sketch competition but not stating nor badging it as a chevrolet etc any brand of car, but instead saying it is a visual concept of what you think it should look like. That way the drawing would be yours, wouldnt have any connection with any automobile company and they cant legally steal your ideas. im going to start doing this. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...