Sketch Competition #26 - The Savior

Welcome to Sketch Competition #26!

buickrivieraconceptcoupxy9.jpghummerhxconcept2008800xtq1.jpg

With all the pain and agony that everyone, especially GM, is going through in the industry right now, everybody needs that one vehicle to bring their name to the top, a savior so to speak. GM's got rumors of a couple brands being on the chopping block or for sale and the whole industry is in for a change soon due to CAFE. However, is it an economical car that would bring GM's most lacking brands to the top? Maybe, but not necessarily in an industry like today's, where every car must have the fit and finish of a Cadillac and looks that stand out from the crowd.

Should you accept, your task will be to design the savior car to any GM brand you'd like. Whether you think it'd be Buick's Invicta, Hummer's HX, Chevy's Impala, Pontiac's Firebird, or anything else you're more than welcome to share your thoughts, dreams, and desires. What would bring Buick to the top? How about Hummer or Pontiac? The pen is in your hands...

Please include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:
*3/4 Front View
*3/4 Rear View
*Interior View

**Entries without two perspectives will still be accepted, but will incur a 2-point penalty at the end of voting**

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this should be .

Deadline is Sunday, August 3rd @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck!

Sorry I'm a bit late. I made two attempts before getting it right on the third, so that's why it took a while.

corsaprofilefinaloh8.jpg

corsainteriorfinallp0.jpg

Hey Argen, that's some very nice color and clean drawing you have there. Only thing is that your car looks squished...too short and too narrow...like a clown car. If you stretch it out and lower the roof it'lllook sick...I know, I tried it. :P

If you wanna see you can PM me.

Good, I just have a revised one that I wanted to complete tonight to replace my firebird entry. Though it isn't any better. I will probably post it tonight or tomorrow, though I got a lot of setting ups to do for my hard drive failed on my again so I had to get a new one that I just formatted and installed the windows on. :(

Edit: Done. though it isn't any better, but I do think it came out wee bit OK than the one I have enterred before.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Only thing is that your car looks squished...too short and too narrow...like a clown car. If you stretch it out and lower the roof it'lllook sick...I know, I tried it.

That's partially because of the reduction in size. However, it is the way that I intended it and if I did what you say, then it wouldn't be right to me. I'm not trying to be stubborn, but it is supposed to be a small car and the short wheelbase is part of that.

I was trying to make something a bit like and Audi TT. A small Chevy sports car that was a bit upscale and not just a Kappa clone. Something that's bugged me about the Kappas has been their long wheelbases. Sure, it makes the cars look great with the wheels at the corners and it makes them feel planted to the road, but as a result they feel bigger because they have larger turning radii and they also feel less agile as well. Truthfully, there aren't really any GM cars currently that feel nippy and lively the way that Mazdas and other foreign cars do. They used to make one particularly interesting car, and although many books make it out the be something horrible I feel that it was the best small american car ever made. There hasn't been anything like it before or since.

That's why I made a new Corvair for the contest.

After the Mustang virtually kicked the Corvair out of the market, GM decided that it was because most people cared more about crude horsepower and looks than ingenuity and fine engineering. The success of the Camaro and Nova made any successor to the Corvair pointless. The only small car to really come close to being as sporty as the Corvair was the Opel Manta, which was tucked into the back corner of many Buick dealerships where interested enthusiasts would rarely go. I just want a genuine small car that has more zest and less weight than what's out there now.

Sorry about ranting a bit. I do it because I care. =P

More about the rendering:

Generally, it was inspired by the second-gen Corvair and somewhat by the TT. I tried to get a flat rear deck, but it made it difficult to make a roof that was aerodynamic. Thus, the roof was inspired by the '62 Monza GT concept and the original Corvair concept. It's small enough that the normal 2.4L Ecotec could be the base engine, with the turbo 2.0 being used for the Corsa model. Of course the engine would be in the back and be given air by the vents in the C-pillars. With the thick a-pillars and relatively short window area, it should be structurally sould without using a b-pillar.

Sorry I'm late, I've been moving. Here's my entry. I see the Volt as the GM savior, as it's the next step in non-fossil fuel technology taking over, but I think that we need a Volt in every class. Enter the XEC: Executive Economy Coupe. Based on the FWD Volt, it comes with the amenities any Cadillac deserves, with a boost in HP and a tad bit of sportiness. It will compete with the upcoming Lexus hybrid vehicle, which will basically be merely a Lexus Prius. Advantage: Cadillac.

cadillacxec.jpg

I doubt I have the time to whip up an alternate view, but I'll do what I can.

• 2 weeks later...