Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

December 2008 Sales: Volkswagen of America

VOLKSWAGEN REPORTS DECEMBER 2008 SALES

media.vw.Com

Link to Press Release

HERNDON, Va.— Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced December 2008 sales of 17,577 units, a 14.4 percent decrease over December 2007. Full year sales of 223,128 total units for 2008, was a decrease of 3.2 percent verse 2007 sales.

"The auto industry in 2008 was one of the toughest we've seen in a long time,." said Mark Barnes, Chief Operating Officer, Volkswagen of America, Inc. "Despite these economic conditions, 2008 was still a good year for Volkswagen. We relocated our North American headquarters to Herndon, VA. bringing us closer to our customers, we announced an all-new North American production facility will be built in Chattanooga, TN., and we launched an impressive five new vehicles that allowed Volkswagen to buck the economic downturn as our sales remained close to our 2007 totals. Volkswagen of America has a plan in place for a successful future here in the U.S."

Volkswagen of America, Inc.

Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. Volkswagen is one of the world’s largest producers of passenger cars and Europe’s largest automaker. Volkswagen sells the Eos, Rabbit, New Beetle, New Beetle convertible, GTI, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, GLI, Passat, Passat wagon, CC, Tiguan, Touareg 2 and Routan through approximately 600 independent U.S. dealers. All 2009 Volkswagens come standard-equipped with Electronic Stabilization Program. This is important because the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has called ESC the most effective new vehicle safety technology since the safety belt. Visit Volkswagen of America online at vw.com or www.media.vw.com to learn more.

2009-01-05_sales.gif

• 4 weeks later...
rabbit and GTI sales are disappointing but maybe the jetta sportwagen bit into them. VW has aggressive leasing still and that helps them move units.

Rabbit and GTI are on their way out. The MKVIs are better looking, and apparently, better made...

2008-Paris-Auto-Show-265.jpg

Rabbit and GTI are on their way out. The MKVIs are better looking, and apparently, better made...

2008-Paris-Auto-Show-265.jpg

they are evolutions only, and word is we still get stuck with the 5 cylinder growler as a base engine, which erodes any value proposition they bring to the table. the car needs an up to date normally aspirated 2.0 4 pot. smooth, light, powerful. good mpg.

they are evolutions only, and word is we still get stuck with the 5 cylinder growler as a base engine, which erodes any value proposition they bring to the table. the car needs an up to date normally aspirated 2.0 4 pot. smooth, light, powerful. good mpg.

I agree... but I'm more interested in seeing the TDI, or the rumored 'GTD.'

It boggles me as to why VW can't do a nice, smooth, efficient, naturally aspirated and reasonably powerful modern four cylinder engine like GM's ECOTEC series. Oh, wait, I forgot to throw in "reliable". All of those goals are probably too much for VW despite my appreciation of the marque, company, and its engineering.

In truth, I could handle the five pot's rather poor efficiency (I attain around 25 mpg combined) if it had a better sound to it. It's rather quiet at idle until you step outside and then it's rather clickety and whirry. At engine speeds up to 3,000 RPM, it's all industrial fan sounding, begins to find its voice north of three grand, and then the party's over at around 5,000 RPM. There is virtually nothing from five grand to redline although I visit it here and there anyway.

Edited by MyerShift