GXP vs. GTP

As we know, Pontiac’s new performance lineup wears the suffix "GXP". Before this, however, the Grand Prix proudly wore "GTP" to indicate its elevated performance capability (whether or not you consider the GP GTP a "performance car" is not important to this discussion). I find myself wondering, why did Pontiac not simply adopt GTP across the lineup?

My reasoning is 2-fold: first, GTP was already an established name for Pontiac, recognized by at least some in the field- the GP GTP has a good-sized following and great aftermarket support. Next, "GTP" actually means something- Grand Touring Prototype, meaning a race car built specifically for competition and not sold to the public (or something to that effect). Of course, this meaning does not apply directly to Pontiac’s offerings, by definition. Nonetheless, it is a term that auto and racing enthusiasts can certainly embrace more than the made-up "GXP", which, to the best of my knowledge, means *nothing*. :rolleyes:

Imagine the GTP lineup: Grand Prix GTP, G6 GTP, Torrent GTP (I would have preferred "Aztek GTP", but that’s neither here nor there :P ), Montana GTP (uh, maybe not), Vibe GTP, and Solstice GTP (mmmmm...). It would have been a continuing thread in Pontiac’s recent history, dating back to MY1991 when the Grand Prix GTP debuted.

Am I alone here? I just think GTP sounds cooler than GXP, and has some Pontiac history behind it. Discuss.

I think Pontiac should have kept the Gran Prix GTP but now the same thing is badged as a GT instead.. Kinda doesn't make since since the G6 is using the GTP badge of it's upper level model.

GXP means something, you know... When it debuted on the Bonneville, I think it meant "G-body eXperimental Prototype" or something like that. And as with GTP... doesn't really stay true to its original meaning. So... I see no problem.

Also, GXP is meant to be above GTP, as far as I know. Although what happened with the GP... IDK...

It would be nice, though, if SE returned. Calling something "Base" is retarded. If I had it my own, on most Pontiacs the trims would be: SE, GT, GTP, and GXP. Edited by blackviper8891

SE, GT, GTP, GXP is the most logical trimline for Pontiac. If anyone asks, say "Sport Edition, Gran Touring, Gran Touring Performance, GXP...'cause it sounds cool." And though I love the Bonneville, the SE/SLE/SSE/SSEi lost its meaning in 2000 when there was no SSE trim. You can't 'improve' on something that doesn't exist.

SE, GT, GTP, GXP is the most logical trimline for Pontiac.
If anyone asks, say "Sport Edition, Gran Touring, Gran Touring Performance, GXP...'cause it sounds cool."

And though I love the Bonneville, the SE/SLE/SSE/SSEi lost its meaning in 2000 when there was no SSE trim. You can't 'improve' on something that doesn't exist.

[post="3953"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We had a 1992 SSEi, and I always wondered... what does SSEi stand for?

I'm also for the GT, GTP GXP heirarchy, I always thought it existed and never had a problem with it.

GXP means something, you know... When it debuted on the Bonneville, I think it meant "G-body eXperimental Prototype" or something like that. And as with GTP... doesn't really stay true to its original meaning. So... I see no problem.

Also, GXP is meant to be above GTP, as far as I know. Although what happened with the GP... IDK...

It would be nice, though, if SE returned. Calling something "Base" is retarded. If I had it my own, on most Pontiacs the trims would be: SE, GT, GTP, and GXP.

[post="3948"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

SE still sticks around. We have Pursuit SEs here which mirror the equipment of Cobalt LS.

I see I have to educate you all.... As we all know, the first of Pontiac's three letter cars was the GTO (Tempest/Lemans, later Ventura)...since then, there were the following: GTA - Trans Am (88-92) GTP - Grand Prix (91-05), G6 (present) GSE - LeMans hatch (89-90, surely a takeoff of the GTE and GSi labelings of its Astra/Kadett sister..probably also became GSE, because they couldn't very well name it GTE in the U.S. at the time) SSE/SSEi - Bonneville (87-03) GXP - Bonneville (04-05), Grand Prix (present) If anything, I'd rather see each car get its own three-letter designation or be labeled a Formula for its top line (though Formula has more of an Rally Sport feel to it than a Z/two digit slash three-letter feel)

Educate me? Not about Pontiac... :D :P You do bring up a point. But, I'm not a fan of each model getting it's own unique trim. I feel that it complicates the lineup and strays away from brand unity. I can see if just one or two vehicles got one, though. Another thing is the Formula trim. I would love for each model to adopt it. But this goes along with my Fiero fantasies... I don't see it happening.

You do bring up a point. But, I'm not a fan of each model getting it's own unique trim. I feel that it complicates the lineup and strays away from brand unity.

[post="5778"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No it doesn't!! I looked at those letters and I knew that a GTA and GTP were related, were the top performance trims of each, and very Pontiac when I was a kid.

Personally, I think it should go like this:
base (no trim lettering at all)
SE (slightly better in the options and engine department)
Formula or three-letter (where the ultimate engine, tranny, suspension, and wheels go)

Hence:
the best Grand Prix can still be a GTP.
the best intermediate car would be the GTO (where it historically belongs)
the hottest Firebird/Trans Am can be a GTA or Formula
the best Solstice can be a Formula or a GTS or something.

Isn't the current hottest Vibe a GTR or something?