Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2005 industry sales

First, however, I feel it necessary to comment on the adverse publicity about Toyota's "plan" to out-produce GM in the next year or so. All the hand-wringing or gloating about this fails to recognize that, even if the unit-production race is won by Toyota, on a gross-per-vehicle basis GM will continue to rule the roost. That's because Toyota's strength worldwide is in cheap, er, small cars (albeit well-made). GM's strong markets are in upscale cars, notably North America, where its sales are roughly twice Toyota's. Toyota owns the large Japanese market, primarily tiny cars and trucks that moreover has been "protected" historically by the Japanese government in a variety of ways from substantive import competition.

Nevertheless, as the Detroit Free Press headlined "GM: NOT SO FAST, TOYOTA." GM announced its 2005 worldwide sales as 9.18 million units, up from 8.99 million the year before, a bit more than a million ahead of Toyota's global 8.1 million. Makes one wonder what motivated Toyota to make its "throwing down the gauntlet" prediction it would surpass GM - or was it all new media hype?

I also think the Wall Street sharks have been leading the frenzy about GM, hoping to benefit from sell-offs of any more of GM's separable assets, such as GMAC. My crystal ball is no less cloudy than anyone else's, but I think this simply ain't gonna happen. Get lost, Wall Street.

• 2 weeks later...
Now let's looks at the performance of General Motors, the focus of so much in-effect hate-America talk lately.

Not sure exactly what he was trying to convey with that comment, but if it's what I think it is, then he is spot on.

I feel it necessary to comment on the adverse publicity about Toyota's "plan" to out-produce GM in the next year or so. All the hand-wringing or gloating about this fails to recognize that, even if the unit-production race is won by Toyota, on a gross-per-vehicle basis GM will continue to rule the roost. That's because Toyota's strength worldwide is in cheap, er, small cars (albeit well-made).

Actually, they're not that well made anymore... BTW, did anyone see the log book entry for the Tacoma PreRunner in MT this month where they excused MAJOR repairs with "Toyota's don't usually break down like this"

Toyota owns the large Japanese market, primarily tiny cars and trucks that moreover has been "protected" historically by the Japanese government in a variety of ways from substantive import competition.

Yep, unlike america, they don't let foreign firms come in and RUIN their industry and SWAY their buyers/media to HATE home grown products.

Nevertheless, as the Detroit Free Press headlined "GM: NOT SO FAST, TOYOTA." GM announced its 2005 worldwide sales as 9.18 million units, up from 8.99 million the year before, a bit more than a million ahead of Toyota's global 8.1 million. Makes one wonder what motivated Toyota to make its "throwing down the gauntlet" prediction it would surpass GM - or was it all new media hype?

The same reason they made the assertion that they had out sold Ford a couple years ago, then recanted. They KNEW that the 'toyota humping' media would JUMP RIGHT ON IT and cause irreperable damage to ANOTHER domestic mark by shuffling stock prices and swaying more american opinions. Toyota is a master at PR, media and sales/sales number MANIPULATION.

I also think the Wall Street sharks have been leading the frenzy about GM, hoping to benefit from sell-offs of any more of GM's separable assets, such as GMAC. My crystal ball is no less cloudy than anyone else's, but I think this simply ain't gonna happen. Get lost, Wall Street.

Now what in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?!?!?!?!?

Someone finally gets the clue that Wall Street is a business just like anything else and not the magical prediction fairy that everyone thinks? AND someone finally grasps the concept that, like the media, all they're trying to do is screw over GM? Wow, it's what I've said all along... A dead GM= a happy Wall Street and a happier media. The Street has ALWAYS been jea;ous of the success of GMAC because instead of praising GM for diversification, they criticize and make snide "bank of GM" remarks. Surprise, surprise, the american way... Sell out your neighbor for your own personal gain.

But, alas the street will get it's way.... The people who hold the money, hold the power and GMAC will at least partially be sold off.

Turning to GM's widely ignored successes,

READ: purposely ignored successes... GM is getting better, so now we have chosen to ignore it's successes altogether. Fence the sheep in to the negativity before they even get a chance to experience the new GM for themselves. Put up the front of "Same 'ole, same 'ole and worse" for Detroit, not the truth.

Yet all you hear about is the Toyota Prius, its sales being subsidized by several states and the Feds

Too bad this never comes up in the 'incentive bribe bit'

Impala's sales were off in 2005, but at 246,481, it again was the best-selling domestic car. How many people know that?

Meh, even if the media does give it credit, the sales are due to "massive incentives" or "fleets"

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how come HHR is counted as a car by industry watcher Automotive News while it counts the PT Cruiser as a truck.

SPIN, of course...

***So, amid all of the "disasterpieces" we're seeing gains by pretty much ALL of the new Chevrolet launches.... The Aveo, Cobalt and Malibu and the Equinox and Colorado... Of course, I'm sure the story will focus on "incentive bribe" or "fleet" as stated above or "price per unit" Anything to make Toyota and Honda look good.

Pontiac on the other hand seems to have a winner in its G6,

Eventhough, like other key GM volume launches, the 'journalists' tried to kill it out of the gate.

"Why buy a car that stands for the Oprah crowd"/"Why didn't GM pay the taxes--It's not enough that they donated multiple 20,000+ cars"/etc...etc...etc... all the way to Dan Neil and his 'article' in which he pretty much admits his anal retentive view of life and his hatred for GM... I dunno, maybe a Pontiac Catalina ran over his dog or something.... At least, one can only hope;)

The biggest percentage gainer seems to be the Avalon, totaling 95,318 for the year,

OF COURSE, after it was hailed as "More american than american cars" and this after years of the media bitching about the 'american characteristics' of those 'american cars'

OH AND, this just serves to show you what HUGE image problem Toyota has and will increasingly have over the next decade... ALMOST ALL of it's products SEEM to sell to the geriatric or boomer set... But, I guess after years of taking criticism, Buick must fall by the wayside.

while Corolla at 241,290 edged a 9,000 gain.

A shocker... Given that it is an aged, outclassed product that was never really that revolutionary in the first place.... Then again, this and the AGED Camry sales gain serve to show what that SPECTACULAR, american media driven, image can do for you.

Wow, the 4Runner was down.... I would've thought the opposite. Same with the Tacoma, it seems to have never caught on well. Yet, the Tundra is as common as roadkill out here (A very anti-domestic area)

The other big hitter among import companies, American Honda, also exceeded last year's sales - 1,462,372 vs. 1,394,393, not as big a margin as Toyota's but likewise another record.

That'll change, now that the media is throwing all of their weight behind them since Toyota is well positioned. (Hence the heaping praise over the lackluster new Civic and null and void Ridgeline)

Korean siblings Hyundai and Kia clocked combined 730,863 sales but the rate of growth has cooled considerably. Only the Santa Fe made a big gain for Hyundai, while Kia was aided by sales boosts from the Spectra and Sportage.

These brands will be the next to surpass Detroit... Once the japanese 2 are 'positioned' well.

***So, Mitsubishi, MB and VW are all down in sales and the Korean fire has been put on hold but "It's (only) the big 3 that Toyota and Honda are chomping at"

Somehow I find that hard to believe.... the majority, MAYBE, but all... Nah...

I know that most people on this site love GM before God and country, but c'mon...take the blinders off once in a while.

Toyota DOES make good quality cars and trucks...but so does everyone else.

Toyota did claim that they outsold Ford a few years ago, but then took it back when they realized the detail of Ford's published numbers was not exactly apples-to-apples (Ford didn't count things like Mazda but Toyota did count Daihatsu and Hino). GM, on the other hand, claimed that Cadillac out-sold Lincoln (in 1998) by selling what turned out to be nearly EVERY Escalade built in that calendar year, which was impossible. Did you guys dance around when GM was forced to recant that claim?

And the media is NOT anti-GM.

When someone praises a GM product, all the claims are "see...GM makes great stuff." When someone puts down a GM product (even slightly), it's always "the media hates GM." Get over it! It's not that black and white.

GM's market share is sliding. Toyota's is climbing. A million units is with the reach of Toyota in the next few years. In North America alone, Toyota is ADDING over 500,000 units of capacity in the next year or so. And that doesn't include expansions in China, India, Thailand, France, Czech Republic, Russia....

GM, on the other hand, claimed that Cadillac out-sold Lincoln (in 1998) by selling what turned out to be nearly EVERY Escalade built in that calendar year, which was impossible. Did you guys dance around when GM was forced to recant that claim?

And I had the good fortune of having lunch with John Smith the day before the press release was filed. He really was embarrassed for Cadillac and GM. It was his integrity, that GM released the updated numbers.