2011 CTS-V Coupe Reveal!

post-51-12626674608843.png

• New CTS Coupe design combines with V-Series performance
  • 556-hp (415-kW) supercharged 6.2L V-8
  • Six-speed manual or six-speed automatic with paddle shift control
  • Magnetic Ride Control and Brembo brakes
  • New Saffron interior trim accent color
  • On sale in early summer

DETROIT – Cadillac today announced the 2011 CTS-V Coupe, which debuts at the 2010 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It combines the new CTS Coupe's dramatic design with the 556-horsepower (415-kW) supercharged V-8 engine from the CTS-V sedan. The result is a luxury sports coupe aimed at driving enthusiasts.

"The CTS-V Coupe marries our most potent and sophisticated technology with our most dramatic production design," said Bryan Nesbitt, Cadillac general manager. "This combination of visual and technical attributes is designed to create a very compelling choice for luxury sports car consumers." The CTS-V Coupe begins production this summer. Its suite of technical and performance elements includes Magnetic Ride Control, racing-bred Brembo brakes and an available automatic transmission with paddle-shift control.

The V-Series Coupe includes a unique grille that doubles the car's air intake volume, an important enabler for its high-performance capabilities. It is also visually identified by a raised center section of the hood that provides clearance for the supercharger, as well as specific front and rear fascias. Like the CTS Coupe, its exhaust is centered inside the rear fascia, but with unique twin outlets. The car rolls on 19-inch cast aluminum wheels, available in either painted or polished finishes, and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 performance tires.

The CTS-V Coupe's rear track is nearly an inch wider than the CTS-V Sport Sedan, adding to the car's aggressive stance and enabling an extra measure of handling capability. The current CTS-V Sport Sedan has quickly established itself among the world's highest performing luxury sedans, becoming the first production four-door on street tires to break the legendary 8-minute barrier at Germany's famed Nürburgring. The new V-Series Coupe's sleeker shape and slightly lower mass ensure a similarly high level of performance.

Inside, the 2+2 cabin combines performance and luxury. A new Saffron interior trim color is offered, with contrasting microfiber seat inserts and stitching on the upper trim areas.

post-51-12626675688224.png

Form follows function

The CTS-V Coupe's design is a clear visual statement of the technical precision and performance intent of the car. The Coupe has the same wheelbase as the CTS-V Sport Sedan, but its overall height is about two inches (51 mm) lower and its overall length is two inches (51 mm) shorter. The two models share only the instrument panel, console, headlamps, front fenders and grille.

Key design features include:

• Classic hardtop styling, with no conventional B-pillar
  • Touch-pad operation for the doors removes the need for conventional door handles
  • Faster windshield angle (62.3 degrees) and a nearly horizontal backglass enable an aerodynamic profile
  • Signature vertical lighting, highlighted with LED light pipes
  • Signature center high-mounted stop lamp functions as a rear spoiler
  • Aerodynamic roof-mounted antenna for OnStar and XM Satellite Radio

Supercharged powertrain

The CTS-V Coupe employs the LSA 6.2L supercharged V-8 engine also found on the CTS-V Sport Sedan. Rated at 556 horsepower (415 kW) and 551 lb.-ft. of torque (747 Nm), it is the most powerful engine offered in Cadillac's history and propels the CTS-V Coupe from 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds. The LSA engine features an intercooled Eaton supercharger system, premium aluminum-alloy cylinder heads and numerous details designed to ensure it makes its power as quietly and smoothly as possible. The supercharger, for example, has a unique, four-lobe rotor design that enhances quietness while also optimizing the performance parameters of the engine.

A pair of six-speed transmissions is offered in the CTS-V Coupe: a Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual with a dual-disc clutch and a Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic with paddle-shift control. Performance Algorithm Shifting is part of the 6L90's programming and provides a performance-oriented shift pattern during sustained high-performance driving. As with many Cadillac models, the driver needs only to slide the shifter into the manual "gate" to put the transmission into that more aggressive mode. The paddle shift control requires no shift lever movement. Steering wheel thumb controls allow immediate and quick tap up/tap down gear selection.

Magnetic Ride Control

The V-Series reaches elite levels of road-holding performance, but also maintains the poise of a luxury car in "regular" driving conditions. The technical enabler of that dual-mode driving character is Cadillac's landmark Magnetic Ride Control. It is standard on the CTS-V Coupe and is the world's fastest-reacting suspension technology. It uses shocks controlled by advanced magneto-rheological technology, rather than mechanical valves, to greatly accelerate response time and precision.

Electronic sensors at all four wheels literally "read the road" every millisecond, making constant adjustments to damping to create virtually instantaneous and extremely precise control of body motions. This is of particular benefit for a high-performance car because it helps keep the car very composed during hard cornering, acceleration, braking and other dynamic maneuvers.

The Magnetic Ride shocks also enable a broader range of damping control to optimize the ride and handling for all driving conditions. In the CTS-V Coupe, an extra measure of control is offered, with two selectable modes (Tour and Sport), enabling the driver to tailor the suspension for grand touring or more spirited performance driving.

post-51-12626676223265.png

Braking and tire systems

CTS-V includes sophisticated braking and tire systems, in partnership with two companies renowned for high-performance technology: Brembo and Michelin. Brembo brakes are at all four corners and include powerful, six-piston calipers in the front and four-piston calipers in the rear. Slotted and vented rotors enable strong initial braking force while optimizing heat resistance and eliminating fade. The brake rotors from Brembo employ a "dual-cast" technology that combines cast iron and aluminum, resulting in excellent performance and weight reduction. CTS-V also includes an electric parking brake, enabling more legroom for the driver, key for high-performance driving.

Michelin partnered with Cadillac engineers to develop its acclaimed Pilot Sport PS2 summer tire for CTS-V and its exclusive 19-inch alloy wheels. The tires support high levels of grip in track conditions, while also affording good performance on the road.

post-51-12626676383333.png

Interior amenities

Recaro performance driving seats are optional in the CTS-V Coupe and provide excellent support for spirited driving. These 14-way adjustable performance seats include pneumatic bolster controls in the seat cushions and backrests. The CTS-V Coupe also includes an exclusive new Saffron color option for the interior, providing a contrasting color accent carried on the seat inserts, as well as the stitching, which highlights the craftsmanship of the instrument panel, center console, door trim and seats. The steering wheel, seat inserts and shifter are covered in microfiber, providing the luxurious character of suede without suede's inherent drawbacks of difficult care and moisture sensitivity. These accents are standard, elegant to the touch and help support high-performance driving.

post-51-12626676722763.png

The car's integrated center stack is trimmed in Obsidian black material that is also applied to the center console and door trim. Just like every CTS, the V-Series includes a hand-stitched instrument panel, door trim and center console. Leading-edge infotainment features extend to the V-Series. They include a 40-gigabyte hard drive, advanced navigation system with a deployable screen and Bose digital surround audio, as well as factory-installed Bluetooth phone integration, all standard features on the V-Series.

post-51-12626676584139.png

Overall, a dynamic, exciting car, and so refreshing to see a new 2-dr coupe in 2010!

Lower, wider, lighter = faster.

Only thing that bothers me design-wise is the extended spoiler/ CHMSL; the way it protrudes so. The rest has a real nice balance between 'sleek' and aggressive. Reminds me a bit of the 1st gen GPs (clean smooth sides, detail & aggression in the front & rear fascias).

Oh, and:

>>"Classic hardtop styling, with no conventional B-pillar (visual impression with all windows in the fully-raisied position only) :rolleyes: "<<

I thinking the more muscular body work and bigger wheels help balance the car out more than the standard one...it looks less chunky. I like it.

I agree with balthy though, the little spoiler sticks out too much more my taste, though I'm sure its that way for a reason.

Wait, it was only unveiled last month? Jeez. The concept has gone back years now...

Wasn't the concept just unveiled about a year ago? LAIAS '09 or NAIAS '09, IIRC.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I like the CTS name, people know it, CTC will add confusion. But why summer of 2010 for this car, the CTS sedan came out in August of 2007, this is almost a 3 year old car as far as design and interior go. The car looks good overall, although I still like the sedan better because I don't like the coupe's rear window. The other problem I have with it, is the exhaust pipes, why are they round on a car that was drawn up with a ruler, nothing is circular on the CTS (aside from the tires), why aren't the exhaust pipes square or trapezoid shape? I think on the concept coupe they were.

Will it have Kinetic Energy Recovery System like Formula 1 cars? Aluminum body panels, carbon fiber roof? Hmm, probably not, probably weighs 4200 pounds.

Edited by smk4565
  • Disagree 2

I like the CTS name, people know it, CTC will add confusion. But why summer of 2010 for this car, the CTS sedan came out in August of 2007, this is almost a 3 year old car as far as design and interior go. The car looks good overall, although I still like the sedan better because I don't like the coupe's rear window. The other problem I have with it, is the exhaust pipes, why are they round on a car that was drawn up with a ruler, nothing is circular on the CTS (aside from the tires), why aren't the exhaust pipes square or trapezoid shape? I think on the concept coupe they were.

Will it have Kinetic Energy Recovery System like Formula 1 cars? Aluminum body panels, carbon fiber roof? Hmm, probably not, probably weighs 4200 pounds.

You probably didn't hear about the bankruptcy? It took GM longer to get it out because GM doesn't have BMW or Mercedes' deep pockets..

You probably didn't hear about the bankruptcy? It took GM longer to get it out because GM doesn't have BMW or Mercedes' deep pockets..

And why do they have deep pockets? Because the E-class that is sold here for $50k is sold in the EU with a 2 litre diesel and industrial cloth seats to the cab industry.

GM was not bankrupt in fall of 2007 when the CTS came out, or at any time in 2008. The CTS coupe could have been out in summer of 2008, 1 year before bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy can't be used as an excuse. Everyone else is introducing new product and the competition isn't going to slow down or wait for GM to recover from their problems. Ford had financial problems also, their response was to bring their 2012-2014 products up to 2009-2012 to get ahead.

The CTS-V is fine for an mid-range Cadillac, but GM acts as if it is some ultimate achievement, and right now it is the best Cadillac has to offer. The CTS-V can't be the best Cadillac has to offer. They have to sell it at a $25,000 discount compared to the competition, what does that say about Cadillac?

>>"GM was not bankrupt in fall of 2007 when the CTS came out, or at any time in 2008. The CTS coupe could have been out in summer of 2008, 1 year before bankruptcy."<<

That would be: 1 year before bankruptcy was declared/filed. The conditions that forced bankruptcy (ummm: no money) didn't spring out of the ground like a winter crocus the day before, you know.

>>"They have to sell it at a $25,000 discount compared to the competition, what does that say about Cadillac?"<<

That they do not feel gouging the customer is neccessary ??

Fact remains that the competition must answer 'why do they have to charge $25K MORE for a car that's no better ???'

The CTS-V is fine for an mid-range Cadillac, but GM acts as if it is some ultimate achievement, and right now it is the best Cadillac has to offer. The CTS-V can't be the best Cadillac has to offer. They have to sell it at a $25,000 discount compared to the competition, what does that say about Cadillac?

Just a guess, but I'm thinking the CTS-V coupe will easily outgun an M6 since the sedan can spend all day shaking it's ass in an M5's face.

Cadillac doesn't charge $25,000 less to not gouge the customer, they charge $25,000 less because the car isn't as good and no one will pay $90,000 for a CTS-V. The CTS-V has the power and speed, but at the same time, a Mustang GT is faster than a CTS 3.6, but that doesn't mean the Ford isn't better than the Cadillac. The Mustang costs $15,000 less for a reason. BMW and Mercedes charge what they do because they have a good product that people are willing to pay for, not to gouge customers.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking the CTS-V coupe will easily outgun an M6 since the sedan can spend all day shaking it's ass in an M5's face.

But what of the new M5? It has KERS, which comes from this:

p90044802_opt.jpg

Edited by smk4565

And why do they have deep pockets? Because the E-class that is sold here for $50k is sold in the EU with a 2 litre diesel and industrial cloth seats to the cab industry.

I fail to see the logic there... Are you comparing those two examples you gave in any way? I'll have to check MSRPs, but I'd say you in the US probably get cheaper Mercedes (thinking in terms of comparable specs) than we do in Europe.

I don't see eye to eye with SMK on a lot of things he posts, but in one aspect he is spot-on: Cadillac does not have pricing power, the Germans have.

Edited by ZL-1

If you convert pounds to dollars, in England, a 530i is $56,800 and an E350 is $60,600. In Germany, the E200 starts at 39,000 Euro, which is $56,000 to us. The E350 starts at $51,000 Euro, which is $73,000 for us. The S500 in Germany is 100,000 Euro, or $144,000. Benz commands a price premium anywhere in the world.

0-60 in 3.9 seconds. Let it weigh 4200lbs.

smk4565 ~ >>"Cadillac doesn't charge $25,000 less to not gouge the customer, they charge $25,000 less because the car isn't as good and no one will pay $90,000 for a CTS-V."<<

How do you KNOW this ? This segment is all about performance, and the CTS-V is the highest performance sedan in it's class. Why else would anyone pay the most in this class if not for the most performance ??

Still, if you actually believed this (>>"they charge $25,000 less because the car isn't as good"<<) & were consistant, you would never mention the hyundai V-8 genesis, since it costs $25K less than the CTS-V.

>>"BMW and Mercedes charge what they do because they have a good product that people are willing to pay for, not to gouge customers."<<

Really? What is the per car profit on an M5 ??