Chicago: 2007 Lexus ES

....interesting how Toyota can manage a 4Runner AND GX470 that share no exterior or interior body panels.....

.....or a Highlander and RX330 that don't EITHER......

Just an interesting point......

Because th GX is sold the world over as the Toyota Prada.

Don't worry, not worth arguing, some people live in a different world on this board.

This is a mostly a GM fan site, so this kind of mentality is normal from some posters on this board.

You want to talk about people living in their own world? *ahem* Coming from someone other than you, I would understand as some people are like that around here. But you? Ironic, the same thing you said could be said about yourself. Now, why are you still here? Especially if you think so kindly about the people here?That's something worth arguing....

NO...it's not a "piece of $h!" but it could use some updating......

275hp and 0-60 in 7.5secs (MT) is hardly noteworthy......many competitors' V6 engines are close to, or better, than the NorthStars power numbers....

It's still a pretty nice engine and pretty smooth.....but we are moving into the era of 360-380hp BMW and Benz V8s.....normally-aspirated.  IN fact, the new Benz "small" 4.6L V8 (or is it 4.8L?) is even rated at 335hp.....

A FWD car with that much power can get downright scary. Instead, I think a six-speed auto would do wonders by retaining the same level of driveability and having the same peak power more accessible for more of the time. Currently, the Lucerne can go 104 mph in second gear.

The RWD Northstars produce ~320 horsepower.

No, the I4 offers a manual 5-speed and automatic 5-speed and the V6 offers a 6-speed sequential.  U.S. Camrys do not, for now, come with AWD. :AH-HA_wink:

Wow, if they did come with AWD, that would REALLY make them just stand out of almost everyone. When the 500 gets the new 3.5V6, I bet that'll help out bigtime. It just needs a few interior and exterior tweaks in my opinion.

Wow... Looks like last years ES just ATE a lot more... It's a plumper.

The interior is weird and ugly IMO. That upper dash just doesn't look appealing.

The only CTS that is able to top this is the V, otherwise, the ES takes the cake. You can argue about FWD/RWD and exterior styling but the ES is the better vehicle.

NOW WAIT A MINUTE!!!! In the new Lucerne article in Car and Drivel, RWD is automatically considered fundamentally better NO MATTER WHAT... But now, we're reversing opinions on this for the woefully FWD Lexus?

powertrain:

zero compromise engine - most powerful, quietest, smoothest, and most fuel frugal in its class

drivetrain:

superior shifting 6spd

interior:

quality not even worth debating

far superior ML audio/NAV

panaromic glass roof

probably quieter than anything in its class

exterior:

quality paint, no cheap ass vinyl weatherstripping

water repellant on glass

soon the mag comparos will come out, and as usual people will complain the mags are sooo biased and how (insert GM/FORD/DCX) vehicle should have won. Of course none of these people drove the actual vehicles.

then the vehicle will gain huge sales increases and various elitist snobs will have to chime in their distaste of America, and how we're living in an age that of idiots, and then someone will express some other non-sensible view of some BS, etc. etc.

WOW!! talk about a 'yes man' Something I've been called many times... And all this based on ASSumptions?!?!?!?

BTW: americans suck :)

Yet you haven't even driven this yet you automatically assume it's better?

LOL... And WE'RE the elitests...

Northstar isn't nearly as relevant, or as advanced, or as fresh as this engine, so I agree with that point. Just being a good engine doesn't mean you share the characteristics of efficiency, refinement, and tech your newest competitors do.

Oh okay... so we've moved on to the "just because my import's newer it's better" GREAT....LOL

Regardless of power or torque, Toyota's (Camry) V6 has been long known for its class-leading NVH and smoothness. AND it's power and torque figures, while not class-leading, were MORE than "competitive."

More excuses and alternate example propaganda for Toyota, when their offerings CLEARLY were not up[ to par... I swear, if everyone in the industry is as snowed as some of the responses I've heard here, then GM really DOESN'T have a chance in hell... WOW. Talk about DOUBLE STANDARDS being thrown around...

Toyota car that is out of date: "Yes but, yes, but... Yes but, it's still better or, it's still excellent on THIS measure" (Nose in the air)

GM car that is less than competitive: "GM MUST DIE!!!! BURN IN HELL GM!!! YOU MUST PAY FOR YOUR INCOMPETENCE!!!!"

(Okay, I'm having fun now---but seriously, the bias is blatant)

quality is obvious,

OF COURSE!!!! I forgot... Toyota quality is a given!!! We don't even need to measure it anymore...

I stand next to a CTS and notice the paint sucks, and the weatherstripping is cheap.

the market responds w/no enthusiasm.

LOL... Yep, because we all know the CTS wasn't well received.

Oh, and wait till you see the new CTS... If GM sticks with what I've seen, to hell with this L branded plebian Camry.

most people have no desire to spend $35k+ for 10yr old engines, and 4spd trannies.

LOL...Unbelievable... I guess the argument HAS moved to "MY import is better because it's newer now" BTW, isn't this V6 the same one that they've been boring out for 3 generations now??? (I could be very wrong--I seem to fall asleep when trying to get excited about Lexi.)

A new low? If I sat in the vehicle I'd mention the fake leather, and garbage plastics. I won't bother since if I want cheap materials, I'll save money and buy an econo-box.

An excuse is blaming the media/society, when an deficient vehicle w/superior competition is on the street.

LMMFAO!!!!!!

Sounds like just as BIG of an excuse as being discriminatory against domestics because of FALSE pre-conceived notions of interior plastic and it's inferiority...

Yeah... okay....

Let's all remember that the fresh supercharged V-Series N* isn't all that special or impressive...

Don't worry, not worth arguing, some people live in a different world on this board.

Yep, I'm from Mars personally.

This is a mostly a GM fan site,
Gee, mostly GM fans on a GM fan website.. who'd of thunk it?
so this kind of mentality is normal from some posters on this board.

LOL... Yep, not buying everything the media or Toyota puppet masters tell us for gospel and the end all be all is the mentality here. Yet, just because we won't subscribe to the "Toyota is better than GM and always has been/always will be and GM must suffer because of this" mentality, you guys find it cool to condescend to us all.

No worries though... I'm a type A personality (as if it wasn't obvious) I LIVE to be challenged and argued with, in fact I enjoy it WAY too much.