gm's 3.0 litre

jwbouch

I borrowed my grandmothers 2010 CTS wagon with the 3.0 litre V6 yesterday for a trip from central NJ to Virginia Beach, VA and back again. Approx. 650 miles in one day. The reason I had it, is because I take care of her cars for her, and its first service was due. I stopped at the auto parts store to pick up oil and a filter, and was instructed that the 3.0 in the CTS requires a full synthetic oil, preferably Mobile 1 - to the tune of $8.00 a quart, it needs 6 quarts.

My question is: Is the 3.0 litre V6 that is in the CTS the same 3.0 litre that was in the Buick LaCrosse, and is in the Equinox/Terrain? If so, does the Equinox require a fully synthetic? It would seem to me that GM might try to keep the maintenance costs down on a Chevy as opposed to a Cadillac. But, if it is the same engine, does it require the same oil? I was just a little surprised when the supplies for me to change my grandma's oil came to $56. I can't imagine what Mr. Goodwrench would charge!

All GM vehicles are requiring synthetic these days, but not specifically Mobile 1.

BTW, Mr. Goodwrench died a few months ago....

Didn't know Goodwrench died. Why require synthetic oil? It is so expensive. I can change the oil in my 2004 Grand Prix for $20, give or take a few bucks depending on sales. And that is running a high mileage oil that is slightly more expensive then non- high mileage oil. I guess it is a wash since there are fewer services needed with oil changes ranged from 5000-7500 miles, rather then 3000?

how peppy did you think it was?

It was pretty peppy. You have to wind it out a bit to get to the power though, that 3.0 Litre doesn't have nearly the torque of the 3.6, obviously. It was a pretty nice car - I drove 650 miles with a 45 minute break for lunch, and a stop half way through for a fuel stop.

is it that new dexlube?

Right on the oil cap it says "Mobile 1"

Synthetic oil lasts longer. If you follow the GM service monitor, you'll get 10,000 mile changes out of it.

The oil monitor in the DIC was at 9% at 5900 miles. Next time I'll wait til it gets all the way down to 0 to change it. BUT, my grandma doesn't drive too much. It is a year old in early February and it only has 5900 miles.