Zoom?

I've known about the Wankel's whacky way of burning oil between changes, but I don't know to what extent it does ... define "copious" in this instance.

Other than that, I don't see much to hate about one of these. Peppy 1.3L engine, better practicality, maybe a touch better on fuel than what I'm used to, six-speed row your own, attractively styled, great handling, forgiving when you want to have some fun, rear-wheel drive, limited slip diff, plenty of standard equipment ... now that these are sub-10k, I'm really paying more attention to them.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh wait, you're serious?

They're cool, in a dorkmobile sort of way. But it has a Rotary, and that engine belongs to only one brand, and only in one car. So I'd imagine, parts and servicing will be horrible.

• Agree 3

They are not good on gas, either. There has to be something sporty, reliable and relatively cheap to maintain within your price range. How about a '99-'00 Civic Si? That was, IIRC when the Si coupe model was brought back to market, but before the British-made, slightly frumpy Si hatchback appeared. If you can find one that hasn't been beat. There's also the Focus SVT...

• Agree 1

You can't keep a 3800 running, I doubt you'll get much use out of a rotary.

This.

Rotaries are maintenance nightmares!

I had several customers who had 1st year models, to latest year models, without issue as daily drivers. You just have to get used to how differently the rotary operates, warming it up and not doing things like turn on, move it, turn off before the oil is fully circulated. Few basic steps, but different from "normal" cars. Fuel mileage is not good, and there are quirks for sure.

That said, it's a new experience. A truly exciting "part of the road" feeling car, that's lightweight and very interesting inside & out. Just always be cautious of maintenance, get used to warm up, and push/rev the beans out of it daily.

Edited by caddycruiser

See the thread about the $10K Solstice. That'd be a much better vehicle for you in that price range. Don't walk - run away from the RX-8.

Well, I ran because one of the two I had linked to was an absolute dog. Same story as the Camaro: inviting for that first moment when you first meet then a nightmare once you manage to spend any amount of time with it.

And anything is better than the Camaro on gas right now. It takes me 20 bucks everyday to drive a 60 mile round trip. Hence why I said the RX would be an improvement.

Z, it's funny you should mention the Solstice. I started turning my attention to used ones a short time after RJ posted about the one he had picked up. It would be a fun car, but I'm a little curious as to how its shortcomings would stack up in daily life. Also, on a related note, Skys seem to have had better resale value than the Solstice with most examples I've ran into going for a solid 3k more.

I know it's wrong whee drive, but you probably could get one of these from a private party for under $10K nowadays.

I know it's wrong whee drive, but you probably could get one of these from a private party for under $10K nowadays.

I can live with the fact these were wrong-wheel drive. The Cobalt SS Super/Turbocharged has been something of a guilty pleasure for me. I suppose I could live with one.

Know what you need? A motorcycle.

Know what I really need? A blowjob.

(inb4 that explains everything)

Get on down to the truck stop and do your thing. Just dont forget the Scope.

I was holding out for you to offer, Satty.

By the way, you have something in your teeth.

I got one from your mother last night, Trebeck. And I haven't stopped itching since.

And honestly, I'd get an FD RX7 long before I got an RX8.

More power, faster, easier (relatively) to work on, more mod friendly, infinitely better looking? yes, please. (Only downside, aside from the normal rotary flatulence issues would be that it's more expensive)

And why in the world does the first link say it has a "4-cylinder" engine?

I do however, endorse the Cobalt SS. :D

Edited by Turbojett

Cool, let us know how you make out. It shouldn't be too much of a problem provided it hasn't been hastily modded by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. The one I posted looks to be a decent candidate, save for some refinishing/replacing of some of the silver trim pieces.

The one you posted probably was a decent candidate, Z ... but the lot that had it was ran by a very -- to put it nicely -- harsh man of Spanish decent. He didn't want me driving the car unless I filled out a credit app, to which I said hell no.

However, I went to a lot a little bit later that was the exact opposite ... the salesman even told me to flog the car I was driving, to which I obliged ... somewhat.

f530a66f.jpg

I'll keep you posted.

z

They're F'n awesome cars, hope it works out. It may not be American muscle, but its a legit sports car.

Thanks, Satty.

I'm in love with this car. The way it sounds, the way it pins you back in the seat when you take off in first gear, the way the readout guage on the center stack is so clever, the way it looks, the way it handles ... I've only had one car that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside like this before and that was the Olds.

And thanks, DF.

BV: Agreed. The 3.5L was Nissan's 3800 except it wasn't old and creaky.

Another thing that really satisfies me is that this car has just a little under 300 horses and yet has managed to average 24.5 mpg since I've been borrowing it. The Aura gets exactly that sort of gas mileage (and with less horses/.

I hate to say it, but everyone makes a rather good point. You have to master the push-rod before you try to master the rotary. It's like trying to run before you can walk. It's just not going to end well...

Schwinn is his friend, my friend....

They're F'n awesome cars, hope it works out. It may not be American muscle, but its a legit sports car.

Bingo!

I do however, endorse the Cobalt SS. :D

I'll second that emotion....

Oh my, a Datsun. There are worse cars out there. How expensive will it be to insure?

That's what I'm trying to work out before I sign off on it. So far, though, it's going to wind up being a hell of a lot cheaper than the Cobalt SS should I have went that direction. Why? I dunno.

Be sure all your i's are crossed and your t's are dotted. When I got my insurance paperwork for my Fiesta, I noticed a "commuter charge" on my policy. Come to find out, my insurance company mistakenly had me as commuting to NY or NJ for work, and it added close to $300 to my 6-month premium... and it had been that way since I switched coverage from the Cobalt to the Colorado... I was led to believe it was merely the price for insuring the truck.

Needless to say, they sent me a refund. This is the second time either my agent, or my insurance company, has screwed me out of money by overcharging me.

It's costing me $1570/yr to insure the Fiesta with my driving record. (I should have some bad stuff come off soon, which will lower my rates even further).

Moral of the long-winded story: READ YOUR POLICY. MAKE SURE IT'S RIGHT.

Be sure all your i's are crossed and your t's are dotted. When I got my insurance paperwork for my Fiesta, I noticed a "commuter charge" on my policy. Come to find out, my insurance company mistakenly had me as commuting to NY or NJ for work, and it added close to $300 to my 6-month premium... and it had been that way since I switched coverage from the Cobalt to the Colorado... I was led to believe it was merely the price for insuring the truck.

Needless to say, they sent me a refund. This is the second time either my agent, or my insurance company, has screwed me out of money by overcharging me.

It's costing me $1570/yr to insure the Fiesta with my driving record. (I should have some bad stuff come off soon, which will lower my rates even further).

Moral of the long-winded story: READ YOUR POLICY. MAKE SURE IT'S RIGHT.

With the Datsun added to our policy (and also with the Camaro removed) the price jumps to 320-something a month. Allstate looks to be a whole $100 cheaper.

The more I shop for insurance, the more I hate insurance companies.

But everything is working out so far. Saturday, I'll have one of two Z-cars.

Bought a Datsun, but not the one I had teased.

This one is vastly better, so I'll just spill the beans.

It set me back a whopping $16k after snagging $3k for my black, disco era $h!pile and TTL was thrown in. It's red. It's a 2007 so it has the 306 horse 3.5L in it (fourth-gen T/A? pffffft). It's a 6-speed. It still has Datsun's powertrain warranty left until next July of next year. It has only $32k miles on it. KBB value is about $21,500 so, all in all, I don't think I did that bad.

I think it's great that, when I first test drove it, the mpg readout was at 15.1 mpg. After a day with me, that's moved up to 18.3. 24.5 mpg is certainly doable.

I won't need a car for the next six years. That's for sure. I made damn sure I did it right this time.