Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Restructuring Chrysler

carman21

Chrysler is once again going in the wrong direction, The primary reason I believe this is occurring is because Chrysler group is drifting without direction. Who thought of the brilliant idea to create a whole new brand called "Ram" when Chrysler is on life support? The simply fact is that Chrysler needs to consolidate into one brand simply called Chrysler. Yes, I hate to see two storied brands, Dodge and Jeep to disappear but, I do not believe in the long term survivability of any of the current four Chrysler brands. Here is my pipe-dream of what Chrysler should be.

2012 Model Year

Require that all Chrysler group dealerships sell Chrysler branded vehicles.

2013 Model Year

Restore the Penta-star as the insignia on all Chrysler branded products.

Launch Chrysler Jolt(sedan & 5-door) based on Fiat Punto

Launch Chrysler Caliber (sedan, coupe, & 5-door) based on the Fiat Bravo to replace Dodge Caliber & Jeep Compass

Launch Chrysler LeBaron (sedan, coupe, and convertible) co-developed by Fiat and Chrysler to replace Dodge Avenger and Chrysler 200

Launch Chrysler New Yorker to replace Dodge Charger & Chrysler 300, New Yorker V-8 models are called the New Yorker 300 and New Yorker 300C

All Dodge, Jeep, and Ram models relaunched as Chryslers as follows,

Ram full-size pick-ups => Chrysler Ram

Ram Dakota => Chrysler Dakota

Jeep Wrangler => Chrysler Jeep

Jeep Grand Cherokee => Chrysler Grand Cherokee

Jeep Liberty => Chrysler Liberty

Jeep Compass + Patriot => Chrysler Caliber 5-door

Dodge Avenger => Chrysler LeBaron

Dodge Caliber => Chrysler Caliber

Dodge Charger => Chrysler New Yorker

Dodge Challenger => Chrysler Challenger

Dodge Nitro => Chrysler Liberty

Dodge Grand Caravan => Chrysler Town & Country

Dodge Journey => Chrysler Journey

Dodge Viper => Chrysler Viper

I believe by 2014 Chrysler would be dramatically transformed from a has-been on life support to a major player in North America. By the end of the decade Chrysler will likely regain its independence and once again return to a position as powerful as they were before the Huns from Daimler-Benz raped and pillaged Mopar-land.

I fully realize that this at best is not going to happen but, in case Sergio Marchionne just happens to stumble upon this thread. Here ya go! Capisce?! Ciao!!!

Makes little sense when you consider that Dodge is the volume leader.

It should be:

Chrysler - Premium/luxury brand

Dodge - Sporty Everyman brand with trucks.

Jeep - Offroad enthusiast and sport utility brand with luxury pretensions regarding the GC.

The only thing I consolidate is Ram and put it back under the Dodge brand where it belongs, otherwise the brand strategy is perfectly logical. Chrysler's got plenty of room to grow as a luxury brand, and at the very least aim to compete with Buick and Acura, eventually moving up to Cadillac and the like. Marchionne has stated that its his dial for Chrysler brand, we'll see if the future product will back that up. If Chrysler can move upmarket and and not be competitor with Dodge products in the same showroom, its got potential. If not, then it would honestly be more logical to shutter Chrysler in favor of Dodge.

As far as "wrong direction" its only been 12 months or so. Most of the product is stopgap until all new models arrive, and some of those have gone from bottom of the back to real class contenders (Journey, Minivans, then there's the new GC, Durango, Charger, and 300).

• Agree 1

I think that's a good way to kill the loyalty Jeep has. Jeep must remain separate. Dodge needs to become what the Ford brand has become at Ford, that mean the trucks need to be folded back in.

Chrysler does need to move up in the market, but that means no more volume vehicles like the PT Cruiser or base 200. The 200 needs to line up with the Regal in equipment and price and the rest of the lineup can go upwards from there. The Town and Country may have to go for the sake of the brand, move it to Dodge as the luxury Caravan and keep the name. To compensate Chrysler, bring back the Pacifica on a stretched Durango platform and scale back the luxury versions of the Durango a bit.

I actually see quite a bit of momentum at Chrysler these days.

Fantastic marketing, interesting product, and positive attitude.

The only caveat would be the ill-conceived Ram branding of the trucks.

This. Though the good thing about the whole Ram thing is that it could easily be reversed.

Dodgefan's got it right. The three brands should remain separate. It's bad enough we don't have Plymouth anymore (yet GM still has Buick, go figure).

I'm still waiting for Chrysler to introduce an all-electric car. When is that going to happen? If they're looking for momentum, that'll do it.

Dodgefan's got it right. The three brands should remain separate. It's bad enough we don't have Plymouth anymore (yet GM still has Buick, go figure).

I'm still waiting for Chrysler to introduce an all-electric car. When is that going to happen? If they're looking for momentum, that'll do it.

Well in that regard, what happened to the 2-mode hybrid they were to share with GM? I guess that went away in the BK.

I think that's a good way to kill the loyalty Jeep has. Jeep must remain separate. Dodge needs to become what the Ford brand has become at Ford, that mean the trucks need to be folded back in. Chrysler does need to move up in the market, but that means no more volume vehicles like the PT Cruiser or base 200. The 200 needs to line up with the Regal in equipment and price and the rest of the lineup can go upwards from there. The Town and Country may have to go for the sake of the brand, move it to Dodge as the luxury Caravan and keep the name. To compensate Chrysler, bring back the Pacifica on a stretched Durango platform and scale back the luxury versions of the Durango a bit.

I actually see quite a bit of momentum at Chrysler these days.Fantastic marketing, interesting product, and positive attitude.The only caveat would be the ill-conceived Ram branding of the trucks.

Yep.

On the economy front, I'd like to see them go a different route and use fuel efficient diesels personally. It's a different angle of tackling fuel economy and development costs have got to be less.

Yep.

On the economy front, I'd like to see them go a different route and use fuel efficient diesels personally. It's a different angle of tackling fuel economy and development costs have got to be less.

+1..I'd like to see the Jeeps all offered w/ diesels, along w/ the Durangos and the LX cars. For small cars, Fiat's hyperefficient diesel Multijet and TwinAir engines would be interesting to see...

I can see Chrysler going bankrupt a 3rd time. Fiat is no picture of strong finances, and Chrysler lags far behind the competition. Chrysler is thought to be worth $5 billion, but the government gave them $12 billion to stay alive. Even with 2 government bailouts this company is still in trouble and bleeding money. And how will they meet the 35 mpg CAFE standard? I suspect they won't, because they'll put all their hopes on the Fiat 500 which will be a slow seller. Of course, they could be bankrupt again before 2015 making it a moot point.

• Disagree 1

I can see Chrysler going bankrupt a 3rd time. Fiat is no picture of strong finances, and Chrysler lags far behind the competition. Chrysler is thought to be worth $5 billion, but the government gave them $12 billion to stay alive. Even with 2 government bailouts this company is still in trouble and bleeding money. And how will they meet the 35 mpg CAFE standard? I suspect they won't, because they'll put all their hopes on the Fiat 500 which will be a slow seller. Of course, they could be bankrupt again before 2015 making it a moot point.

Unfortunately, I can't say this is completely wrong.

In the time since the bailouts, GM has recovered well beyond Chrysler has. Its great the Chrysler has gotten the 200 and Charger out the door... and 300 soon... but FIAT needs to get the 500 here yesterday. Its not like bringing the 500 here was a surprise... as FIAT was working on returning with the 500 before the Chrysler partnership.

I foresee the 500 doing better than you expect... but its a long road for FIAT and Chrysler. Comparing it to AMC-Renault, it took 2 years for that partnership to bear fruit, and it was short term successful. Unfortunately, it was not successful long term. FIAT needs to fill in the Chrysler holes and get FIAT reestablished... without bringing junk to market. Its almost 2 years now and there is nothing to show for it. Leveraging the Chrysler dealer infrastructure, the 500, at least, should have been on the market for a year, at least.

The thing you have to remember is that GM had a lot of product already in the pipeline ready to go before bankruptcy. Chrysler was starved of product. The refreshes have been done within the last 12 months and the 300 at least was delayed and had substantial changes made to the exterior after Marchionne took the helm.

You won't really see the fruits of the Fiat tie-up for a couple years, when all-new models debut. It takes more than 12 months to design and engineer a car after all.

You won't really see the fruits of the Fiat tie-up for a couple years, when all-new models debut. It takes more than 12 months to design and engineer a car after all.

The 500 was already selling in Europe. FIAT and Chrysler need money... getting the 500 in showrooms makes money.

As for new Chrysler product... its been 20 months... and if something is coming out in the next 12 months, Chrysler/FIAT is being very secretive. That Caliber replacement is needed yesterday. MY2013 is a long ways off.

Never said the 50o wouldn't sell.

I don't disagree that the Caliber needs to be replaced, quite badly. Personally, I'd love it if it looked like my render. However, cars don't get designed and engineered in 20 months either. Ask GM how long it took them to do the Cruze, for example. That's just how it is.

As far as secretive goes, well its possible. Until 7 or so months ago we didn't really hear or see any spy shots, and now everything besides the Nitro and Liberty have been refreshed or redesigned.

Never said the 50o wouldn't sell.

I didn't insinuate that you did. The bottom line on the 500 is that it shouldn't take 20 months to bring that to Chrysler's dealers. 6 maybe... 10 maybe. I'll even give them a year. Its late and at a time when Chrysler/FIAT need to move forward, not stumble.

I don't disagree that the Caliber needs to be replaced, quite badly. Personally, I'd love it if it looked like my render. However, cars don't get designed and engineered in 20 months either. Ask GM how long it took them to do the Cruze, for example. That's just how it is.

Replaced, reskinned or reconstituted.

Caliber sells at roughly one third of the old Neon... and 20% of the planned Cruze volume. The people have voted with their wallets. A reskin can be done in 20 months if they have the will. 200's reskin took less than 20 months, it seems.

The Fiat 500 is the new Saturn Astra, except smaller with less room. $15,500 base and hardly any equipment. It may sell off novelty in year one, but then people will realize you are getting Aveo/Versa like equipment in an even smaller car at the price of an Elantra or Corolla. The Fiat 500 is not their savior.

Mercedes couldn't save Chrysler, Fiat surely can't either. Chrysler is going down, all the 2nd bailout did was delay judgement day, it didn't prevent it. And when Chrysler does go out of business once and for all, GM and Ford will be better off because of it. I look forward to America having 2 strong car companies, rather than 3 weak to mediocre companies that we had over the past 5-10 years.

• Disagree 3

The Fiat 500 is the new Saturn Astra, except smaller with less room. $15,500 base and hardly any equipment. It may sell off novelty in year one, but then people will realize you are getting Aveo/Versa like equipment in an even smaller car at the price of an Elantra or Corolla. The Fiat 500 is not their savior.

Mercedes couldn't save Chrysler, Fiat surely can't either. Chrysler is going down, all the 2nd bailout did was delay judgement day, it didn't prevent it. And when Chrysler does go out of business once and for all, GM and Ford will be better off because of it. I look forward to America having 2 strong car companies, rather than 3 weak to mediocre companies that we had over the past 5-10 years.

Don't say Mercedes couldn't save Chrysler. Mercedes chose NOT to save Chrysler. They were in it for a quick buck and made a TON of mistakes.... the likes of which we could devote an entire thread to enumerating.

Mercedes didn't bother to save Chrysler. At the time of the purchase Chrysler didn't need saving. At the time Chrysler was doing very well. They got what they wanted, handed Chrysler a few leftovers from the parts bin, cost cut the hell out of development, then sold the hulk off.

• 1 month later...

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings