Regal EAssist and GS Pricing Announced

Z-06

2012 Buick Regal eAssist and GS Pricing Announced

Arrival of fuel-efficient eAssist and performance-oriented GS broaden Regal's reach

2011-08-04

DETROITBuick's Regal offerings will double this fall, with the arrival of the new technologically advanced 2012 Regal with eAssist and the performance-oriented 2012 Regal GS, which are expected to broaden the appeal of the hot-selling midsize luxury sport sedan.

Regal with eAssist will start at $29,530, and Regal GS will start at $35,310; both prices include $860 in destination charges. The eAssist system is a $2,000 option on the Regal base model, mated to a 2.4L Ecotec engine. Buick will continue to offer the base model without eAssist as well as the 2.0L turbo.

"Regal with eAssist and Regal GS offer distinct advantages to midsize luxury sport sedan customers," said Tony DiSalle, U.S. vice president of Buick Marketing. "The eAssist's advanced technology delivers the most fuel-efficient option, while the high-output GS is the sportiest expression of Regal to date."

Regal with eAssist uses a variety of advanced technologies and body enhancements to deliver an EPA-rated 25 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway, the latter being unsurpassed by the higher-priced Lexus HS Hybrid and Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. With gas prices near $4 a gallon, the option on Regal should pay for itself in about 3 ½ years.

The fuel economy boost that Regal with eAssist offers comes from pairing the direct-injected 2.4L four-cylinder Ecotec engine with a state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery system and electric motor-generator that enables regenerative braking capability. This "light electrification" system also is available on the 2012 Buick LaCrosse.

Standard features with the eAssist system include driver-selectable, fuel economy-optimizing mode for the air conditioning system, enabling more frequent and longer-duration engine stop periods; ECO gauge on the instrument panel that continuously responds to driving behavior, enabling the driver to drive with greater efficiency; and powerflow readout in the color infotainment or driver information center that shows the flow of energy through the electric assist system, such as battery charging from regeneration and electric power directed to the engine.

Regal GS has been SAE-certified to deliver 270 horsepower (201kW) and 295 lb.-ft. of torque (400Nm). Its exclusive Ecotec 2.0L direct-injected turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers more torque than Acura TSX V-6, Audi A4 Sport, Lexus IS 250 and Volvo S60 T5. Torque is the twisting force that gets a vehicle moving and what the driver feels when accelerating.

The GS's engine is mated to a standard six-speed manual transmission, and gets an estimated fuel economy of 27 mpg on the highway. A six-speed automatic transmission will be available later in the model year. The GS powertrain is covered by a five-year, 100,000-mile warranty.

Regal GS also features push-button start; a leather-wrapped, flat-bottom sport steering wheel with audio controls; metal sport pedals; and leather-appointed, heated and 12-way adjustable sport seating. A Harman Kardon premium 336-watt, 5.1 Matrix Surround Sound system with nine speakers is also standard.

Regal GS is also equipped with an Interactive Drive Control System, which adapts damping and other driving functions that allows the driver to choose a standard adaptive setting, a Sport mode, and a GS mode, which is tuned for those who enjoy a higher level of ride and handling performance.

Other standard features on Regal GS include front and rear ultrasonic parking assist, a 120-volt accessory power outlet, Bi-Xenon HID headlamps, and 19-inch alloy wheels; 20-inch polished alloys with summer-only performance tires are available.

Later in the year, Regal GS and Regal with eAssist both will come with standard Buick IntelliLink, which uses Bluetooth or USB to connect the driver's smartphone to a new 7-inch, high-resolution, full-color touch screen display radio. IntelliLink expands on Buick's current Bluetooth and USB capabilities to allow smartphone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls. It also enables streaming stereo audio from the phone through services like PANDORA® Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®.

Most important, Buick IntelliLink enables seamless integration of stowed portable devices with each vehicle's infotainment system, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

"As is the case on all Regal models, the GS and eAssist offer the winning combination of advanced technology, no-compromise driving performance, luxurious style and passenger comfort that make Buick one of the fastest growing automotive brands in North America," DiSalle said.

and today, tada! gas prices pre tax are below 2.80 today. that'll give me a local price of ~3.20 or so if it stays low enough to "hit the pumps"

And mine is $4.139 for 87, self serve.

And mine is $4.139 for 87, self serve.

just paid $4.21 to fill up the Crown Vic... ugh.

lowest here today in my town is 3.429.

edit:

you can thank the debt deal for increasing the power of the dollar. lol silver dropped almost $4.

interesting though is that platinum is w/i $100 of gold. must be a slump in demand...didn't look at car sales threads but i'm guessing car sales dropped off.

Edited by loki

I didn't realize that old POS took premium. You'd think after all this time they could get the same performance from regular.

And, considering it's a Crown Vic, you're using the term "performance" rather loosely, right?

And, considering it's a Crown Vic, you're using the term "performance" rather loosely, right?

Yes... using the word "performance" solely as a substitution for "output". :AH-HA:

I didn't realize that old POS took premium. You'd think after all this time they could get the same performance from regular.

That was regular. They charge extra for credit card and I was on the expense account.

That was regular. They charge extra for credit card and I was on the expense account.

That pisses me off. It's like rape to charge an extra $0.10/gallon just so I can use my debit card.

EDIT: If you're up to $4.21 by you.. then I wonder what gas went up to by me? I haven't filled up since last weekend.

Edited by Paolino

That pisses me off. It's like rape to charge an extra $0.10/gallon just so I can use my debit card.

EDIT: If you're up to $4.21 by you.. then I wonder what gas went up to by me? I haven't filled up since last weekend.

That was New Haven CT.

That was New Haven CT.

Ah, okay, they tend to be right aside us with gas prices... at least they were when I would do the back/forth to NH.