SATURN AURA RADIATES STYLE, REFINEMENT

While it looks a hell of a lot better than the sneak peak we were unfortunately treated to, it is still underwhelming.

Interior-wise, I love the leather and IP, not including the ribbing. The wood is a nice touch on the doors but it looks like overkill on the dash. I am hoping the mismatch problem with the wood on the doors and the dash will be fixed. The center stack is horrible and brings down the entire interior. It's like a big zit in the middle of the forehead on a fairly cute girl.

The exterior is nice but looks too much like a Sebring, especially the sides and rear 3/4 view. You can change the rims but it is still going to look like a Sebring. The front is good, I have no problems with that. The rear looks too much like a G6, though, probably done to save costs.

The paddles are awesome but the lack of a real manual and I4 will hurt sales. I hope it drives well. Overall, an above average effort at best, IMO.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this will infuse some much needed style into the brand,once again the bean counters are dumbing down another fantastic design. GM needs to WOW them not just fill a void with an underwhelming production version. God help the production version Camaro! :banghead::angry::censored::duh::hissyfit:

Posted Image

DESIGN AND SUBSTANCE IS E V E R Y T H I N G TO THE MARKET NOW, BLAND WON'T DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by prototype66

Not bad, but it's like 2000 all over again and the intro of the new Sebring sedan...for gosh sake, the wheel arches, the wheel design, the body, and even (from the looks of it) some of the interior materials are the same... :huh:

Between this and the Outlook, I'm pretty underwhelmed...but the Outlook at least fills a niche in the market that no one has touched successfully yet--a large crossover with an ACTUAL 3rd row AND cargo space, not to mention a decent sounding OHC powerplant and trans from this century.

The Aura is just seeming like a 6 year old sedan to me, that happens to have one of GM's fresher powertrains available in it...all together with an interesting interior color choice (FINALLY) and some G6 parts (the rattly Panoramic roof).

Oh well... <_<

Oh, and another thing--if anyone's noticed, the styling, shape, and size stayed almost completely true to the concept. As for the blandess, the concept was just as much so, but the wheels made a HUGE difference.

Sad, but true--without wheels like the concept, there isn't much flash there...

I keep thinking of this car as having the same kind of key virtues to it as a Malibu or G6, but clean and unoffensive lines compared to the ugliness/dorkiness of those siblings.

Edited by caddycruiser

Yeah the Sebring wheels brings out the resemblence to the Sebring from the side profile moreso than if they kept the concept wheels (that will go on the redline version perhaps?).

I hope the horizontal black plastic lines pattern detailing on the front end goes away at some point.

OMG I just realized the overkill wood in the interior is in just about the same places as the Sebring interior.

Edited by frogger

Posted Image

Is it me, or does the wood look misaligned terribley where the door meets the dash.  it just really bothers me, and it wouldn't surprise me to see soe people try to rip GM to shreads over little things like that...

I told you so!!!!!!!!!!

Also I don't see the Sebring really. I think the wheels look like the Mercury Milan.

Highs: Nice styling and very close to concept, 3.6 and 6 speed automatic finally in a GM midsize, interior is so much more interesting than a boring Camry or Sonota, bodyside moldings thank goodness, more power out of 3500 than the 06 version is always welcome, nice to see a color inside other than black lung or dull boring gray

Lows: the wheels have to go, Bob your working for GM now not Chrysler, tail lights look too much like a G6/Cobalt, hopefully interior trim will line up better than this pre production version, why no base 2.4 ecotec with 24/34 mpg ratings in these gas gouging times, center stack should be silver or dash color, not black in all models. If it has a black interior then make it silver, if it is a tan interior give the customer a choice of silver, tan or wood etc, gap between hood and center chrome trim looks silly and makes the hood seem like it's open

You guys are being way to harsh. This car is fantastic, in and out. Not perfect, but pretty damn nice. As far as the wheels, Sebring who?? They look good, wand will look great in the sun. I think all the wood looks great, though I agree that it doesn't meet well fron the dash to the door. Also, the rear is great! Over all though, this is a solid A in my book. Very nicely done.

I agree that this will infuse some much needed style into the brand,once again the bean counters are dumbing down another fantastic design. GM needs to WOW them not just fill a void with an underwhelming production version. God help the production version Camaro! :banghead:  :angry::censored:  :duh:  :hissyfit: 

Posted Image

DESIGN AND SUBSTANCE IS E V E R Y T H I N G TO THE MARKET NOW, BLAND WON'T DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This comparison shows just how faithfull Saturn was to the concept. Very good looking car. Look at how incredibly close they are. I think that the more agressive front fascia of the concept will show up on the Saturn Redline.

You guys are being way to harsh.  This car is fantastic, in and out.  Not perfect, but pretty damn nice.  As far as the wheels, Sebring who?? They look good, wand will look great in the sun.  I think all the wood looks great, though I agree that it doesn't meet well fron the dash to the door.  Also, the rear is great!  Over all though, this is a solid A in my book.  Very nicely done.

While I understand your sentiment about people being too harsh, I have to say that GM NEEDS every car and truck to be a home run. It appears that the harshness may be warranted in this case. There is no point to design and build a car to "Good Enough" car. Every facet of GM from Concept, Production Engineering to Sales and Marketing has to aim for perfection. Will they get there? Probably not, but that has to be their goal (And remember that all home runs aren't perfect, they just appear to be). Too many generations of GM product have had the "It's Good Enough" feel to them. That type of attitude got them in the postition they are in today. Although the Aura is a vast improvement from what product was available in the Saturn Portfolio. This doesn't scream, "Gotta Have" to me. All that it proves is that the bar was so miserably low, they had now where to go but up. (Sort of like my beloved Detroit Tigers).

I told you so!!!!!!!!!!

Also I don't see the Sebring really. I think the wheels look like the Mercury Milan.

Actually, the wood does line up with thr dash. Look at the side shots of the interior. The shape of the door bends a litttle just before it hits the dash. You just can't tell from the front interor shots.

Um... where to start? Those wheels look worse than I expected. The lack of NAV and Projectors is ridiculous. The interior has alot of problems with things lining up perfectly. The ribs are bad. The color scheme is bad. Overall, it's quite bland without the concept's little details. Not bad, but could have been more...

What I find funny is that you guys are bashing a car that, aside from the lower fascia, slightly smaller fender flares, different wheels, and different interior colors, is the same damn thing as the concept. The very thing you guys oggled over as a concept you seem to hate or call it bland. Get out a pair of glasses or a magnifying glass if you're visually impared, and take a closer look. Even that damn trim piece below the hood has the gap you guys were b1tching about when you thought it wasn't there on that teaser pic.

Another thing: multi-spoke wheels aren't unique to the Sebring. And the design isn't even the same. I agree that the concept's wheels were nicer (they are called wheels not rims for the ignorant), but they look nice nonetheless.

If there is a RedLine version, I'm sure it will be more agressive looking, probably close to the concept.

So yeah, I personally like this car. It's far and away the best looking of any midsize we've seen so far. The interior is very nice, although I do agree with some people about there being a bit too much wood. Maybe it can be substituted for metal. I also agree that the fact the door trim doesn't line up with the dash wood is odd, and hopefully it will be addressed in the full production model. I also agree with the fact that GM (aswell as Ford and Chrysler) and need start using integrated systems in their center stacks, it looks much better. However, I think GM's unit is the most integrated looking and best looking of the bunch, better than Chrysler's and far better than Ford's.

The Aura is much better than anything GM has got, looks better than most if not all of the competition, and looks very classy in the press release photo. Great choice of colors.

It'll be a great car, and the looks combined with the 3.6 liter/6-speed (finally), it will be very competetive. At last GM has a midsize car that doesn't cause retenal damage when looked at (*cough* Malibu), or have odd looking proportions (G6). Plus, it is a hell of a lot closer to the concept than the G6 was.

Edited by Dodgefan

Again, please pick up a pair of glasses. That Olds is all rounded and stuff, in fact not a single shape is the same. If you need further proof try tacing the lines. Surprie Surprise, they don't match. I sware this site has an obsession with that Olds, I see it compared with everything from this to a Lincoln, if you try and compares the Charger to it next i will have to hurt someone. :lol2:

Edited by Dodgefan

wow.  the interior seemed to survive!

nice.

4 speed auto in the base?  BAD.

3.6vvt and 6 speed?  THANK YOU.

the exterior lost a little something.........but i think its kinda distinctive.....except for the G6 rear.

The base 3.5L pushrod engine and 4-speed auto WILL be this car's kiss-of-death in GM's ongoing public-perception battle....

WHAT were they thinking? I would have MUCH preferred to see the 2.4L, 170hp Ecotec as the base engine....giving them a strong showing compared to the competition's base 4cyls....and why not make the 6-speed auto standard with the 4-banger as well? Then you have an up-to-date, efficient, powerful, and perception-matching-or-beating base powertrain.

Other than that, (and it's a big one) the car looks to be a winner. I LOVE the exterior styling and while the interior looks quite conservative, it also looks to be GM's finest interior execution yet on a small-to-midsize product.

I'd put the interior slightly below the new Camry and the current Accord....but I'd put it at least equal to the Mazda6 and (new last year) Altima's. I think this interior even beats the new FoMoCo triplets (Fusion, Milan, Zephyr.)

LOVE the upmarket 3.6L HF V6 and 6-speed auto. However, where's the 6-speed manual option??????????????????????????

I can't wait to see this car in varying colors and interior trims......

You've said this before... and I just don't see it. Yes, they're in most GM vehicles, but no, they do not scream cheap. The Malibu/G6 controls scream cheap... not the Aura's.

Malibu/G6 controls

Posted Image

I agree with you, Ven.....I like GM's new center stack controls (Lucerne, AURA, Impala) and think they are far superior to what we have in Malibu/G6/Cobalt.

i'm really underwhelmed by this. It's like a slight upgrade over the G6 but not as attractive on the outside. The rear looks like the old Chrysler 300M. The interior shots show the plastic has taken over and the gauge cluster looks like poop.

notice how the wood on the doors doesn't line up with the wood on the dash.

As far as the fits, actual production cars should be better. This car is surely pre-production or a pilot model.

I'm holding off final judgement on the interior until I see it in some more normal colors....like black and/or beige for example.

I told you so!!!!!!!!!!

Okay now looking at it longer.....I don't like how the center stack "fits" in the center of the dash.

I don't mind the actual controls....they look good...it's just the way it's all situated in the dash panel....looks like it was "forced."

It would look better if you replaced the woodgrain on the dash with some other sort of black or grey textured plastic or something.....the center stack wouldn't stand out as much then.

They somewhat fixed in MY2006. This is the '05.

Nah....they are pretty much the same crappy controls. (At least the '06 G6 GTP rental I had used the same crap controls.)

If GM just put the AURA center stack controls in the G6, they'd fix one of my few issues I have with the G6 interior.

Interior styling is decent, and the quality is there. The colors and wood look good too. I am not impressed with the exterior--it has lost too much character---has been Camry-fied and now looks more conservative than the Fusion, which seems to have more aggressiveness in the front end. The wheels are not great either. It looks quality and luxurious enough to compete with the Camry, Accord, and Altima, but not leapfrog them.

Interior styling is decent, and the quality is there. The colors and wood look good too. I am not impressed with the exterior--it has lost too much character---has been Camry-fied and now looks more conservative than the Fusion, which seems to have more aggressiveness in the front end. The wheels are not great either. It looks quality and luxurious enough to compete with the Camry, Accord, and Altima, but not leapfrog them.

I actually think the production front looks sportier and "swoopier" than the concept's. I think the front improved overall, and the side profile hasn't changed in a meaningful way at all. It got a rub strip...and made it less slab-sided. The rear is as far as I can tell identical.

I think the interior improved. The use of wood trim really breaks up the monotony of grey the concept had. Two gripes: the fake wood looks very cheesy where it goes concave around the ignition switch, and grey is the worse color to show off a new interior. As far as design goes, it looks great, especially since that stack was made for NAV.

Who says we couldn't see the metallic trim later on? I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the Redline and maybe even other models.

I think the Aura looks pretty damn good for a midsize family sedan, and way better than the Accord or Camry. The interior needs a few touch-ups (I'm not a huge fan of the wood) to make it really good, but it is a pretty good effort right now and certainly competitive with the Accord and Camry.

Now to get Lutz to put an I4 in there with a 5-speed manual.

You know what annoys me about this? How come this vehicle is getting features that should be available on a more expensive product? I mean, simple things like Auto Up for the windows, LED taillamps, LED illuminated gauges.. all that should be on Buicks.

I'm very happy to see it on the Aura, I really am. I just can't understand things like why this gets a more powerful base engine than the LaCrosse... why it gets a few extra features the LaCrosse doesn't have, and even larger wheels than the LaCrosse!

I actually think the production front looks sportier and "swoopier" than the concept's.  I think the front improved overall, and the side profile hasn't changed in a meaningful way at all.  It got a rub strip...and made it less slab-sided.  The rear is as far as I can tell identical.

I think the interior improved.  The use of wood trim really breaks up the monotony of grey the concept had.  Two gripes: the fake wood looks very cheesy where it goes concave around the ignition switch, and grey is the worse color to show off a new interior.  As far as design goes, it looks great, especially since that stack was made for NAV.

As for the exterior, not much has changed, but details are there that I don't like. I'd prefer body color door handles, NO crappy cheap looking horizontal ribbing in the grille intakes and fog lights, a bigger lower intake opening, and the crease that was just above the foglights on the concept lended a lot of character to the face. the wheels are plain wrong, and other than that, it's fine.

The interior did improve, and I will wait to see it in person. I like it. I would eventually like to see titanium in there, that would be nice.

Who says we couldn't see the metallic trim later on? I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the Redline and maybe even other models.

I think the Aura looks pretty damn good for a midsize family sedan, and way better than the Accord or Camry. The interior needs a few touch-ups (I'm not a huge fan of the wood) to make it really good, but it is a pretty good effort right now and certainly competitive with the Accord and Camry.

Now to get Lutz to put an I4 in there with a 5-speed manual.

Actually, the wood trim is listed as "Burl trim appliques" under the Aura XR options list. So if you don't want that wood trim, you don't have to order it. Too bad it doesn't mention if the standard trim is metallic or some other material; and also since croc brought up a possible optional nav system, there isn't one listed either.

Edited by Trimnell1

The interior did improve, and I will wait to see it in person. I like it. I would eventually like to see titanium in there, that would be nice.

Me, too. I'd rip it out and sell it.

You'll never see authentic titanium in a car of any meaningful production at this price anytime soon. I don't think people realize how much that stuff costs.

to complement GM, the colors of the leather are fantastic and show willingness to take risk. otoh, they still need to learn how to better integrate the climate controls and radio units. look to the accord, camry, and altima for inspiration on how to do those.

My my Fly, the Aura's center console seems, well, off center in a way... it kinda leans towards the left.  Like the Camry's.  :AH-HA_wink:

I think this is a result of photography. In any case, the old Camry didn't lean to the left...it was completely justified to the left and looked like pure garbage because of it.

You know what annoys me about this?  How come this vehicle is getting features that should be available on a more expensive product?  I mean, simple things like Auto Up for the windows, LED taillamps, LED illuminated gauges.. all that should be on Buicks.

I'm very happy to see it on the Aura, I really am.  I just can't understand things like why this gets a more powerful base engine than the LaCrosse... why it gets a few extra features the LaCrosse doesn't have, and even larger wheels than the LaCrosse!

Don't forget the Epsilon platform is much more modern than the LaCrosse's W-platform. Hell, this thing looks more upscale than the Lucerne.

Just for comparison's sake (tried to get them all from the same site, top-of-the-line):

Aura:

Posted Image

Accord:

Posted Image

Altima:

Posted Image

Camry:

Posted Image

Fusion:

Posted Image

G6:

Posted Image

Galant:

Posted Image

Malibu:

Posted Image

Mazda6:

Posted Image

Sonata:

Posted Image

This just goes to show how horrible the Malibu's and G6's interiors are compared to everything else (even the Sonata). It also shows how much better that Japanese cars with the integrated controls look. GM, Ford, and Chrysler need to make integrated systems.

Oh yeah, you forgot one interior:

Dodge Startus

Posted Image

:lol:

Ok, so the G6 and Maibu are better than that at least.

Edited by Dodgefan

What I don't understand (and this goes for 90% of all GM interiors), is why GM can't figure out how to put maybe a piece of metallic trim (or some sort of trim), over the entire center console to at least hide the fact that the radio and HVAC controls are just slid right into the open space. If they had a nice flat piece of trim with openings for the buttons and dials, it would look more finished, give the piece a more uniform, solid appearance.

Just a few points from someone who will never be in this market.

Mid size front drive sedans are nearly invisible to me, the Aura concept was not. Unfortunately, the production car is. A much better translation from concept to production than the G6 but they still lost me in the process. This might be a good thing for GM though, as I am hardly the target audience. Best Saturn sedan to date? Yes, without question. Gotta have? Well, no not really.

Side note: I don't get the fixation everyone has with interiors. Of all the posted pics, none stands out as head and shoulders above any other and they all seem pretty livable. The only one that even borders on odd is the Camry (kinda b-movie spaceship looking) and even that one isn't too bad. Interiors are kinda low on my priority list I guess. I am tired of the center stack configuration with its large areas of blank dash. I'd like to see a more linear,horizontal style now and then.

Yes I did, it's pretty nice. I've sat in my neighbor's. :P

Yeah, I was surprised--the Sonata's interior isn't as bad as it looks. I still hate the radio controls--they look SUPER cheap to me.