2012 Buick Verano First Test

frogger

Really like this car and seriously considering it as well as Cruze LTZ in 18mos-2yrs or so when I'm in the market. Interesting that for almost the same price the Cruze LTZ has Leather, AutoDim Mirror, Ultrasonic Parking Aid, Power Seats, Heated Seats. The Verano has a much more balanced powertrain and standard Intellilink. All of the stuff the Cruze has is optional of course, and much more. It's a toss up for me but I lean towards the Buick's more classy styling, softer suspension tuning, and most importantly more power.

The new car looked great last year when I saw it and after driving the Cruze I expect it will be a reall winner. The engine issues will work themselves out. This is not a sports sedan anyways and the new engines will address these issues.

When did the Ecotec line have a NVH problem? Did it just develop for the 2012 MY?

It's just typical MotorTrend... the 2.4 SIDI has been on Ward's 10 Best Engines so it's not like I buy that. Also contrary to what the review says, the 2.4L engine in fact has TWO balance shafts, not zero. Note that with the isolated oil pump the production models will have their complaint wasn't there, so why bother even writing about it?

I take MT's issues often with a grain of salt in most cases in relation to GM.

I am starting to believe based on what I know of the Cruze and what I have driven this will be a well recieved car and will help Buicks image. While it is not a car for all I see many older people on limited incomes and younger people with kids and large house payments to find a car they can have real luxury in and not have to go over the average price of a car.

In the 90's with a booming economy this car would have sat on the dealer lots but today in tight economic times everyone but the goverment is watching their money today. Many are down sizing to smaller and more efficent cars. The real problem there were few what I would call real Luxury cars this size and under $30K anymore.

While this is not the kind of car Buick want to end up being it is a step into the direction they want to be seen in. I expect future products will be a little more diverse as they start with a clean sheet of paper and not just have to rehash an older Opel. I suspect this car may be replaced in 4-5 years with a more updated car that will move even farther away from the LTZ Cruze.

2015 is the supposed refresh date on the Verano, so just a 4 year run.

That sounds about right. Gm seems to be bring the things they had worked out before the BK up till 2014 and 2014 and on look to be the new things they started after the BK.

I get the feeling the new C7 Vette will be the leader of a whole new wave of vehicles GM has said little about. This is where we will really see what their plans are.

Edited by hyperv6

I saw a dark blue Lacross the other day that would look real good on this car. I love the new blue. Very elegant.

I like the midnight blue metallic more or less. I LOVED the Majestic Blue Metallic they had on the 2011 Regal that they got rid of. Loved the Slatestone Metallic that was on the last LaX. Would like to see some other colors offered on the Buicks.

I would want mine in that same Brown Exterior/Tan interior combo from the show car.

Yeah, that "Choccachino" color scheme is very rich looking. Like something you'd find for 2,500 calories on a Starbucks menu.

I would want mine in that same Brown Exterior/Tan interior combo from the show car.

Yeah, that "Choccachino" color scheme is very rich looking. Like something you'd find for 2,500 calories on a Starbucks menu.

Yeah and make the exterior that brown color as well, it's a really rich colour, moreso than the brown they use on the LaCrosse.

• 1 month later...

FYI in Canada there is a cheaper, "more" basic Verano slotting in below the base model that the USA gets. It has 17" wheels, no leather steering wheel/shift knob, Intellilink, etc... I suspect this is because GM Canada has let a lot of blood especially in the small car market since Pontiac was axed up here.

FYI in Canada there is a cheaper, "more" basic Verano slotting in below the base model that the USA gets. It has 17" wheels, no leather steering wheel/shift knob, Intellilink, etc... I suspect this is because GM Canada has let a lot of blood especially in the small car market since Pontiac was axed up here.

my guess is they do that in the US in one or two model years too.......