Cheers or Jeers: 1981 Pontiac Phoenix LJ Hatchback

6 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! It's good to some vehicles preserved even if they weren't that impressive to begin with.
    • Jeers! I don't care how few miles are on it; this is straight out of GM's bad-old-days and needs to be forgotten.

You are looking at an exceptionally rare vehicle, one that belongs in the hands of a collector or Pontiac enthusiast. This is a 1981 Pontiac Phoenix LJ, one of the rarest Pontiac models in the world!

This car is in VERY good condition. The body is straight and without any rust issues that I can find. The paint is original. The interior is in immaculate condition, with no serious stains or tears anywhere. The seats are not faded. The dash is in great condition as well, with no cracks or issues that I can find. This car comes from a non-smoking family as well so the interior smells as good as it looks. The body trim could use replacing eventually as there are a few spots where it has been repaired poorly. Nothing that is bad for the vehicle, just cosmetic issues. The windshield has a crack but it doesn't effect visually while driving.

This car has been in this family for many many years and spent it's life as a weekend "go to town" car on a small farm in rural Idaho. The car has only 76,000 original miles.... that's right, ORIGINAL miles. I cannot stress enough the good overall condition of this cars body and interior.

This car has a V-6, automatic tranny and power steering/breaks. The car needs a new battery. The cooling fan on the engine also has what we believe to be an electrical fault somewhere. The car was overheating and after the thermostat was replaced it was discovered that the fan was not coming on when the engine got hot. I am sure that this is a simple fix but since we no longer drive this car I have not gotten around to fixing it. The engine, other then the cooling fan issue, runs very strong and starts easily. It does not smoke, nor does it idle poorly. Quite the contrary, once this car warms up it's idle is almost silent.... until you step on the gas.... then you GO!!!! This engine has not seen a lot of use so it is a VERY strong V-6. This car has a lot of power!

The breaks are in good shape as well. Tires have good tread. Car sports it's original hub caps and logos.

Car has a clean Idaho title.

If you have any questions at all, please contact me and I would be happy to answer what I can.

$%28KGrHqV,!jcE5,zY%28ibjBOd9,oi2SQ~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqN,!hsE5hyMNJ4ZBOd9,8pM%29w~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqEOKpQE5U8m2n9!BOd9bI1Yc!~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqV,!hsE5huInruNBOd9b%29NBrQ~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqR,!hYE5sGHDM+wBOd9cPjmN!~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqQOKo0E5k(HyHORBOd9dtvbSw~~60_3.JPG

I was in the same boat. I liked the Skylark T-Type, Phoenix SJ coupes, and late model Citation X-11s with cowl induction.

I like these in retrospect. When they first came out, I didn't realize they were FWD. The whole idea of FWD being against the laws of physics, in my young mindset.

If it was a coupe or one of those crazy special sporty editions (esp BOP) with all the stickers and blacked out trim, I'd consider it. But a plain sedan just isn't clicking for me. I hope someone does stash it away, because I foresee a huge gap in our automotive history in the future.

the parents had a v6 81 pontiac sunfire... hard to believe this was a stable mate on the dealership lots...

You mean a '81 Pontiac 2000. You know, I've called our Sunfire a Sunbird a thousand times, but I've never done the reverse.

More incredibly, these both sat on a lot with the last of the '81 Firebirds and Trans Ams.

the parents had a v6 81 pontiac sunfire... hard to believe this was a stable mate on the dealership lots...

You mean a '81 Pontiac 2000. You know, I've called our Sunfire a Sunbird a thousand times, but I've never done the reverse.

More incredibly, these both sat on a lot with the last of the '81 Firebirds and Trans Ams.

hehe whoops good call. i never saw the car in person, just pictures and tales. slip of the keyboard, i even had 81 sunbird in the searchbox in the corner of the browser where i looked up pics to be sure of the year.

80sunbird.jpg

turns out it was an '80

Edited by cletus8269