Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

SHOCKER: ocnblu goes green!

Here's a copy of what I sent:

I was there yesterday morning, August 11th, for some warranty work on my 2012 Jeep. While in the showroom to check out some vehicles as I waited, it became apparent that your sales manager was yelling at your female salesperson at her desk, within earshot of other employees and customers alike. I could tell the other employees were embarrassed by the way they kept their heads down and avoided eye contact. I feel it was very unprofessional of him to do that in an open setting in front of customers. If necessary to correct an opposite gender employee, it should be done in an office behind closed doors, with a witness, not out in the open during business hours with customers present. It puts that manager in a bad light professionally. Should it make me think twice about sending business your way? Should it make me think twice about having my maintenance work done there, or buying another vehicle from Susquehanna Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-Ram? Thanks for taking the time to consider this.

I am heartened by the email reply I got, from the General Manager/Vice President of the dealership, and it was hand-typed, not just a form letter. He apologized for the actions of his sales manager, said he was there and heard part of the argument, and that he should have stepped in to prevent such an exchange between the manager and an employee in front of customers. He said he will make changes to prevent such a thing in the future, and he asked to meet me the next time I am there to thank me for my interest and concern. I was surprised not only by his response in general, but also at the speed of it, today being Sunday.

In my previous experiences there, I found everyone to be courteous and professional. This gives me confidence that my perceptions were not incorrect. I understand that a small-town dealership's employees get to know each other very well, and may forget who might be around when a situation arises such as what I witnessed, but I feel we must maintain our professionalism when customers are present. I'm glad he agrees.

I start my new job tomorrow morning, at the Chevrolet/BMW dealership I worked at prior to my last gig. Did not sell the Patriot. So thankful. I was out of work for 48 days, much too long for me, not as long as some talented folks in this economy.

wow, just caught this. good news, glad you were able to get back on board!

Update: last tank was 24.3 MPG, which included a trip to Assateague State Park near Ocean City, MD last weekend.

A few weeks back in the hot weather, I noticed that the "soft touch" material along the top of the driver's door interior trim panel was bubbled in a couple of spots, separating from the backing. I took it in and the service manager took some digital photos to prove to Chrysler that it was happening (they are hard asses when it comes to warranty claims lately to cut down on fraud), and he ordered a new panel. Yesterday was my appointment to have it replaced. I appreciated the email and phone message confirming my appointment ahead of time (although I showed up an hour early at 8, forgetting my appointment was at 9). It was about 10:20 when they called me to the counter to sign the paperwork, so to be fair, it was in the shop for an hour and 20 minutes (seems a long time, but some parts had to be transferred to the new trim panel.)

While I was there, I wandered the lot and checked out the showroom. There was a nice turbo Dart Limited in the showroom, gray with black leather. I was not the only customer there, there were others waiting for vehicles in service. That's when the bad stuff started. I became aware that their sales manager approached a sales girl at her desk and started yelling at her in front of everyone within earshot. Other employees kept their heads down in embarrassment. He did not seem to care that customers could hear him. It was extremely unprofessional, imo, and I am strongly considering emailing the dealership and complaining about him. What, he doesn't have an office to call her into for a private conversation, if he feels she is not handling her job correctly? It was horrible.

But my Jeep is back to me in good shape and I'm motoring on. Now, about that email...

that sounds like an old school dealership to me. stuff like that would be handled privately where i reside, handled like any other business of today would handle it.

:lol:

And Roger, I have no idear to be honest. That is the price on their inventory site, I don't think it was specific. They usually tack on every discount available even if some people don't qualify for certain ones, just to get a buyer in the door. Any published price, I'm sure, may vary up or down.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Latest Patriot tank: 19.3 mpg, slogging back and forth to work. $43.50 to fill it up. Meh, not a good showing, imo. BUT, I think under the same conditions, the black truck above would be in the 15-16 mpg range, with a huge tank to fill, instead of a little 13 gallon one.

Latest Patriot tank: 19.3 mpg, slogging back and forth to work. $43.50 to fill it up. Meh, not a good showing, imo. BUT, I think under the same conditions, the black truck above would be in the 15-16 mpg range, with a huge tank to fill, instead of a little 13 gallon one.

Yeah, you're right about the Silverado. I took the Envoy out to Hershey this past weekend - left with almost a full tank, used all day Friday & Saturday, it was parked yesterday, filled it up this morning. Took a tad over 16 gallons (regular, $3.679/gal), $59.50. But I wouldn't be happier in anything else (well, an equally not-as-fuel-efficient Sierra :P ).

• 1 month later...

Well, in my first year of ownership I didn't put 10k miles on this Patriot, ended up about 9600 at the year mark. I start a new job at a Hyundai/Mazda/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Buick/GMC dealership bodyshop on Monday. I'll be traveling about 35 minutes each way, M-F. That'll rack up the miles. No issues to report lately. Hopefully this won't kill me in gas expenses.

• 2 weeks later...

My "change oil" and "low fuel" lights came on yesterday evening on the way home. Is it time to trade in my Patriot? :)

Plus, I only got 21 mpg on last week's tank and my ride to work is pretty much all highway. Whatever happened to the 24.5 I got on an all-highway tank back in the day? Of course, I'm traveling at 65-70 mph with traffic these days.

TERRIBLE suggestions, Drew and Z. Anyway, with a tiny tank, I can't go a whole week without stopping for gas with my new commute. I just got gas this morning... 270 miles. worked out to be 22.8 mpg. Not bad for the type of vehicle I'm driving.

If a Colorado diesel were out now, or even an honest 26 MPG 4.3 Colorado, it would be fantastic, especially with a reasonably-sized fuel tank.

Although a Sonic RS would make a sweet commuter car.

Edited by ocnblu

You know what else has a tiny tank? The Volt.

An update from a friend who bought a Volt over the summer, he just put gas in it for the first time since August.

Well, the day finally came, Ryan had to fill the Volt with gas! Figure that's a good time to give some stats on the ownership experience thus far:

Total miles traveled: 1772

Percent EV: 89%

Energy used: 474 kWh

Gas used: 7.5 gals.

Average cost of electricity + recent tank fill up = $70

Cost of operation = $0.04/mile.

This replaced a 15mpg Pathfinder and he is now getting about 236mpg.

• Agree 2

An update from a friend who bought a Volt over the summer, he just put gas in it for the first time since August.

Well, the day finally came, Ryan had to fill the Volt with gas! Figure that's a good time to give some stats on the ownership experience thus far:

Sweet! :metal: Rock on VOLT! :metal:

• Agree 2

Um, just in case I've not been clear enough... there will NEVER be an electrified vehicle in my garage.

So the patriot uses Kerosene lamps just like a brass era car...hmmm...I think you and Balthazar have been spending a little too much time together....

I so want one of these....

Unfortunately I had my mother with me when I looked at the Sonic RS. She threw cold water on my idea and the shrinkage was terrible.

Dud you never take your mother with you shopping. Cardinal Rule #1post-12-0-38125400-1356325873.gif

• Agree 2

*eyes glazed over* How do you know this about me? :smilewide:

Yeah, the idea of a Sonic RS, as sweet a car as it is, has deflated for the time being. Nothing really wrong with the Patriot.

After one year of usage, pros and cons:

Pros:

Handy size, smaller than Escape/Equinox/Terrain

Pretty comfortable

Trouble-free so far except for the door trim panel I had replaced under warranty

Boston Acoustics stereo

Jeep style

Weird color still gets positive comments

Capability relative to others in this CUV class

Cons:

Engine drone on acceleration

CVT transmission makes veh feel sluggish

Vibration at idle in gear pretty pronounced

Small fuel tank restricts driving range

MPG on the low side v. others in this CUV class

Economy car bones show through skin at times

Would I buy another Patriot? Only if it had a better behaved, more powerful 4 cylinder and a conventional automatic transmission, or a manual available with Trail Rated chassis.

EDIT: one more odd little thing... I still almost miss the gas pedal with my foot, and sometimes my foot slips off of it because it is so far to the right from what I'm used to... after 13 months of use!

Edited by ocnblu

Unfortunately I had my mother with me when I looked at the Sonic RS. She threw cold water on my idea and the shrinkage was terrible.

Dud you never take your mother with you shopping. Cardinal Rule #1post-12-0-38125400-1356325873.gif

Well I had plans to go shopping by myself and take a, shall we say, more thorough look at the Sonic RS, up to and including... :o but then she called and asked me to take her to finish her Xmas shopping.

A Wrangler Sport S the way I'd want it: $28,885. Commando Green. I wish Jeep offered the option of a black wheel. That color with black hardtop would look better with black wheels than the machined-face aluminum jobs.

Cons:

Engine drone on acceleration

CVT transmission makes veh feel sluggish

Yeah, looking back on it, I'm glad the Patriot I almost bought before the Astra didn't work out because of those two reasons. The CVT in the Patriot can really make the entire car unbearable at times, IMHO.

It's a good thing that the Compatriot replacement should be ditching the CVT in favor of more conventional automatic transmissions.