Opinion on old-skool wanted

ocnblu

An idear for perusal:

2012 Silverado LT regular cab longbed

black with tan cloth

factory accessory 20" 6-single spoke wheels

5.3/posi 3.73

protection package (mainly for the rear wheelhouse liners which should be standard on these trucks)

After sale:

rear end 3" drop

silver/gold painted pinstriping around bodyside contours, tailgate handle and hood contours

blacked-out windows

Flowmaster muffler with dual tailpipes straight out back

folding soft tonneau cover

I'm thinking the old-skool "tail dragging" look would be cooler with the longbed. Thoughts? :)

Edited by ocnblu

We deal with a lot of performance customers and I have to agree the tail dragger on a truck is not something many want or like. They lower the tail to level but I can't say I have seen a tail dragging truck outside a small truck with hydraulics.

If it was my project I would say do all of it but just level the truck and not drop it. If you want a tail dragger get a 64 Impala. But that is just me.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1

Yeah I put 2" leveling shackles on my '07 Sierra shortie (with help from 2 friends), improved the look of the truck immensely. I understand GM has an engineering rule with pickup trucks: the rear bumper must be 2" higher than the front when unladen. This looks worse on the shortbed, with an embarrassing amount of wheelwell showing, imo. The longbed has more length so it doesn't look as severe. Just leveling it would make it look different enough, maybe, without taildragging it, but I was thinking just one inch lower than level might look cool.

I have it as built from the Chevy website as my wallpaper, replacing a brilliant white ZL1. :lol:

BUT, I think a longbed might be too long for my garage. And it's too expensive, at $33k with the $3000 GM Accessory wheels.

Yeah I put 2" leveling shackles on my '07 Sierra shortie (with help from 2 friends), improved the look of the truck immensely. I understand GM has an engineering rule with pickup trucks: the rear bumper must be 2" higher than the front when unladen. This looks worse on the shortbed, with an embarrassing amount of wheelwell showing, imo. The longbed has more length so it doesn't look as severe. Just leveling it would make it look different enough, maybe, without taildragging it, but I was thinking just one inch lower than level might look cool.

Nearly all trucks are a few inches higher in the rear. If not they all would be tail draggers iif you have anykind of a load.

Most people do not like the tail low as in a truck often it is mistaken for a bad set of springs or a load in the bed. That is why I think this look is not seen outside the small low riders.

God knows the second gen short bed S10/Sonoma had rear spring issues and for a few years they were seen with the tail down on nearly all. The first question always was whats wrong? I think GM put out a TSB but never recalled them.

I am not sure how soon you need a truck but GM kicks in a good sale are rebate in Oct every year. Often it is enough to buy you the wheels. The GM SPO wheels are a must on these trucks.

Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD:

5415617475.jpg

Regular Cab, Standard Bed, 2WD:

5606790477x400.jpg

I've liked the look of the current GMT-900 Sierra 2WD's with a larger tire & rim set-up, and have been a big fan of the Sierra Denali's 20" 8-spoked chrome rim. While searching for the two pictures above, guess what I find?

4998492473.jpg

4998492193.jpg

4998492223.jpg

4998492435.jpg

Link: http://www.leegmctruck.com/VehicleDetails/new-2012-GMC-Sierra_1500-Regular_Cab_Standard_Box_2_Wheel_Drive_Work_Truck-Fort_Walton_Beach-FL/1699663203

So hot!! Very tempted to pass on a 4WD Sierra for something like that (of course that depends on what the new '14 Sierra looks like in 2WD with larger tires and rims).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I've liked the look of the current GMT-900 Sierra 2WD's with a larger tire & rim set-up, and have been a big fan of the Sierra Denali's 20" 8-spoked chrome rim. While searching for the two pictures above, guess what I find?

4998492473.jpg

4998492193.jpg

4998492223.jpg

4998492435.jpg

Link: http://www.leegmctru...h-FL/1699663203

So hot!! Very tempted to pass on a 4WD Sierra for something like that (of course that depends on what the new '14 Sierra looks like in 2WD with larger tires and rims).

That is freakin HOT GMC! Nice ride. that would be so awesome to have. Just have to LineX the bed and get a cover for the bed. Then it would be perfect for me. :P Love the color too. :D

I would need to add in the chrome door handles and chrome mirror caps (factory accessories) in addition to a folding hard cover for the bed (and a bed mat to prevent scratches & sliding items) and I'd be set. 2012 I'd want it in Midnight Blue Metallic; 2013 I'd want it in Sonoma Red Metallic (since the dark blue is gone). I'd also look to add a Flowmaster exhaust, retaining the stock exhaust pipes, and add a chrome tip to it (again, GMC factory accessory).

Cool trucks, GMTG. I see that one there with the HD hood and bumper. And it looks like a tail dragger in the rolling photo, only the whole thing is way more involved than I'd go for, pretty sure it's bagged. That stock white shortbed Sierra looks terrible without wheelhouse liners, and it's too darn high in the ass end. Only one thing wrong with the red Chevy... it's red.

That gray Sierra with the Denali wills is just a purty truck, man.

Edited by ocnblu

That's a sweet rig, Joseph, but purty much opposite of the theme I'm conjuring here.

I know what you mean, it's just that the way the front bumper sticks out so far is even more noticeable when the truck is lowered. I just wish there was a way to suck it in or replace it with something smaller that doesn't make it look like the truck got punched and now has a fat lip.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally not a GM product, but I'm enamored with this truck:

c47521064aa9cc1e7eba6fdb4cfa281bx.jpg

1c00b11fbe75557724157c92a4ba0e56x.jpg

d159558dd5c6093540d63e77dff90d8dx.jpg

I love the two-tone of the RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Package, and would love to find one in the dark Cherry Red they offer. Too bad this package will not be available on the Regular Cab models in 2013 (I guess sales are too low to continue to offer it on this cab configuration).

Totally not a GM product, but I'm enamored with this truck:

c47521064aa9cc1e7eba6fdb4cfa281bx.jpg

1c00b11fbe75557724157c92a4ba0e56x.jpg

d159558dd5c6093540d63e77dff90d8dx.jpg

I love the two-tone of the RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Package, and would love to find one in the dark Cherry Red they offer. Too bad this package will not be available on the Regular Cab models in 2013 (I guess sales are too low to continue to offer it on this cab configuration).

Do a custom job, get this truck in White with the equipment you want and then do a custom two tone paint job and achieve your same affect.

Oh, I know there's ways to obtain the look after-the-fact, but I do like a factory made product better. The main issue is that I don't think I could choose another truck outside of a GMC Sierra!! :lol: I like how Ram lets you get features on the regular cab trucks that you can on the extended and crew cab models - such as turn signla mirrors, bucket seats with console shifter, navigation/touch screen radio, larger rims and tires, and special packages (such as the Outdoorsman, which was offered on any cab [well, until '13 rolls around]). GM treats the Regular Cab pickups as the bottom-barrell models, and limits what you can option. This wasn't always the way, but it has gotten much worse with each new generation. Hopefully with the all-new '14 models GM will open up the options list to all cab models and take a page from Ram's playbook.

Oh, I know there's ways to obtain the look after-the-fact, but I do like a factory made product better. The main issue is that I don't think I could choose another truck outside of a GMC Sierra!! :lol: I like how Ram lets you get features on the regular cab trucks that you can on the extended and crew cab models - such as turn signla mirrors, bucket seats with console shifter, navigation/touch screen radio, larger rims and tires, and special packages (such as the Outdoorsman, which was offered on any cab [well, until '13 rolls around]). GM treats the Regular Cab pickups as the bottom-barrell models, and limits what you can option. This wasn't always the way, but it has gotten much worse with each new generation. Hopefully with the all-new '14 models GM will open up the options list to all cab models and take a page from Ram's playbook.

I just hope they bring back two-tone paint as an option on the Sierra after the redesign. Still concerned about they will do to the extended cab models too.

I love how they tow. My son worked for a landscaping company earlier this summer, and that thing will pull a trailer with a backhoe like nobody's bidness...

4998492435.jpg

I'm going to get run off the website, but I gotta say I really don't like those standard cab, short bed GM trucks. They look cut down and dopy.

Seeing that side profile I am instantly reminded of this monstrosity:

3101203814_8c64d00fcb.jpg

4998492435.jpg

I'm going to get run off the website, but I gotta say I really don't like those standard cab, short bed GM trucks. They look cut down and dopy.

Seeing that side profile I am instantly reminded of this monstrosity:

3101203814_8c64d00fcb.jpg

Start running.

Well, I miss mine. I had reasons to get rid of it, but 3 years later they don't seem as compelling as they did then.

After two accidents in the same left front corner of the truck, I could see misaligned parts after the repairs that drove me nuts and I felt I was powerless to get the issues corrected. That, and four dollar gas.

Nevermind. After writing them down, they were good enough reasons, especially the poor repair work.

But they still make them, I could get another, with careful planning.

• Agree 1

Well, I miss mine. I had reasons to get rid of it, but 3 years later they don't seem as compelling as they did then.

After two accidents in the same left front corner of the truck, I could see misaligned parts after the repairs that drove me nuts and I felt I was powerless to get the issues corrected. That, and four dollar gas.

Nevermind. After writing them down, they were good enough reasons, especially the poor repair work.

But they still make them, I could get another, with careful planning.

It now seems that 2013 will be a full-year of GMT-900 production, with some new delays for the all-new '14 models announced on another forum. So you've got time to work out what you want on a new '13. Or you've got more time to wait for a new '14 :lol:

I say go for it. You miss your Sierra - it was a very sharp truck, I might add - and gas is gas. If I was a single man today I sure would be cruising around in a regular cab GMC Sierra myself :AH-HA:

• 2 weeks later...

I'M SO CONFUSED. I really like this style of truck, and the Blue Topaz is cool imo, same color I had on the Cruze. This one is a 2WD with G80 locker, and I had no trouble in my Sierra in snow with the same combination. Of course, it did not have the steam roller 20s on it like this '13, I put 265/70/17s on that one (245s from factory). Even if the rear end is dropped 2" like my '07, these 20s would fill the wheelwells nicely.

Newark is not too awful far from me... maybe I should take a road trip tomorrow...

EDIT: an LS 4X4 equipped they way I'd want it, has an MSRP of $31,655... a good deal less than this LT 2WD.

Edited by ocnblu

No road trips today, felt crappy all weekend. Now I'm back on topic, longbed, reg cab 2WD LT, only with the base chrome-clad 17" steelies. And while red is not my thing, that new maroon looks nice. Maybe a maroon one with black cloth, the base chrome 17" rims, and a leveling kit is the way to go. Oh and a set of 265/70 17 Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds.

Still in the dream phase, obviously.

Edited by ocnblu

The only reason I would go for a 2012 at this point is for the Midnight Blue Metallic, which is gone for '13 (hopefully to return on the all-new '14 models). I just found out there's two new colors in addition to the Sonoma Red Metallic & Heritage Blue Metallic - Graphite Blue Metallic and Mineral Green Metallic (both are parts of special edition package colors only). If I were to go for a 2013 model, I'd go for the Sonoma Red Metallic:

5611455689.jpg

5611455735.jpg

5611455755.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

BP, you're prolly right. Srsly.

The above 4X4 looks OK and even more desirable with a high-rider look... but that 2WD shortie just BEGS for some sort of leveling kit, it reminds me of my '07 before I leveled it out.

Those 20s look pretty good on the Sierra. I guess that is the chrome-clad, $1200 set, the Chevy version of which can be seen on the Blue Topaz Chevy I posted. To be honest, I prefer the GM Accessory 20" wheel that looks like a Torq Thrust, but it is $3000 for those! *choke* I think I could get real Torq Thrusts with tires for less than that, aftermarket. I think, according to what I read, the $3000 set are shipped unmounted, with the truck wearing place-holders. The dealer mounts them and does a suspension alignment.

Also, an observation: it seems the Ram 1500 looks more at home wearing 20" factory wheels than the GMT900 does. I don't know why, it just seems more natural to me seeing a Ram wearing them than a 900. Maybe it's because they've been putting them on so many sporty trimmed Rams for several years now.

I honestly always liked the 17" chrome-clad steelies, as shown on the maroon Sierra base 4X4 above. All they really need is a somewhat meatier tire. On a 4X4, it would be BFG All-Terrain T/A 265/70R17, and on a 2WD it would be Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds in the same size. Am I getting old? :o

Chevy calls the green Fairway Metallic, and the blue is Blue Ray, as on the Camaro & Corvette. We've seen the Blue Ray on a Camaro, it is an extra-cost pearl color, I'm guessing. But I'd like to see the Fairway/Mineral Green. That Sonoma Red/Deep Ruby does look good, I have to concur.

Edited by ocnblu

• 2 weeks later...

^ They went a bit too far in the other direction. Years back, IMO GM had too much 'air space' under their front ends (thinking mostly cars here), I believe that rendered said vehicles 'less solid' than some of the competition, even if subliminally.

On the Sierra Roger posted, the front bumper/air dam is lower than the frame.

I don't hate it or anything, but in looking at this sort of evolutionary body design... I can't become 'unaware' of it... and on a truck is seems... counterproductive.

On the Sierra Roger posted, the front bumper/air dam is lower than the frame.

I don't hate it or anything, but in looking at this sort of evolutionary body design... I can't become 'unaware' of it... and on a truck is seems... counterproductive.

I seem to recall reading a few years ago of bumpers being lowered on large trucks and SUVs specifically to make them more compatible w/ cars in crashes..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

All new 1500 (half-ton) pickups suffer from the lower bumper/airdam setting today:

2013 RAM 1500:

2013-Ram-1500-front-view.jpg

Ford F-150 (2011 shown):

2011-Ford-F-150-front-side-view-623x389.jpg

GM trucks suffer the worst though with the ground clearance on the front bumper. It is due primarily to aerodynamics and secondary to crash standards - but balthazar is right that today's cars are taller.

I'm hoping the 2014 GM full-size trucks have found a way to be more aerodynamic and offer more ground clearance with the front bumper/airdam set-up (approach angle suffers otherwise). Though I do know that GM advises you remove the airdam when offroading on the current trucks.